Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mdxi posted:

All six of my compute nodes (three 3900Xs; three 3950Xs) are now built on the Gigabyte B550M DSH3. It's cheap, and no-frills, but buildzoid called it out in his B550 preview vid for having an exceptionally good power delivery subsystem for its price.

If that works for you, well, I guess, but the LTT VRM-rankings forums thread suggests quite a bit more, especially for the 3950.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

5900x

Oh, and I guess I'll need a CPU fan. Anyone got one they like?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

A cooler? Noctua NHD15s, check it fits your case. Done.
+1, that or the normal D-15 if you don't need the offset

I have a 5800X and it likes to spike towards 80F launching Firefox depending on how much multitaskin I'm doing :shepface:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

If that works for you, well, I guess, but the LTT VRM-rankings forums thread suggests quite a bit more, especially for the 3950.

Generally speaking, VRMs matter far less than forum people on the internet think, especially for stock operation. There are absolutely some total duds out there and if you are trying to squeeze the last 5mhz out of a part or doing LN2, oh yeah, VRM absolutely matters.

But the marketing trying to sell $600 boards and epeen forum warriors have somehow convinced a whole lot of people that they need 12 phase VRMs with 90A SPS just to turn a 105w TDP part on without exploding, and its just not true.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about motherboards?

After literally three months of having a RTX 3080 sitting in my living room, not plugged into anything, taunting me, I have finally been shipped a 5900x to pair it with. :toot:

Now I need a rest of the computer. I have a PSU, I have 64GB of RAM that claims to be guaranteed for CL 16-16-16-38 @ 3600MHz, I have a nice case- I need a motherboard.

I don't need anything particularly fancy, I'm not planning to overclock anything. A lot of SATA might be nice, because I have a lot of old HDDs lying around with stuff on them, but I won't cry if I have to ditch a few. Just the basics; ethernet, some USB, audio whatever, NVMe or M.2, not fussed, and a memory topology that is going to play nice with the RAM (4 sticks).

Oh, and I guess I'll need a CPU fan. Anyone got one they like?

It sounds like you probably want an X570.

I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite and it's been fine for me.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm fully on team gigabyte after customer support recently. I think you want T topology for that memory. Worth checking that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 19, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

We're still expecting Zen 3 TRs to be TRX40, right? No way they launch a new chipset just for that. Wonder if we will see new boards though -- still mildly irritated that I have to burn PCIe slots for 10Gb (Copper or fiber) on the PRIME TRX-40.

If those crazy fuckers at ASRock put out a mATX board though with a fuckload of PCIe lanes broken out... :getin:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

movax posted:

We're still expecting Zen 3 TRs to be TRX40, right? No way they launch a new chipset just for that. Wonder if we will see new boards though -- still mildly irritated that I have to burn PCIe slots for 10Gb (Copper or fiber) on the PRIME TRX-40.

If those crazy fuckers at ASRock put out a mATX board though with a fuckload of PCIe lanes broken out... :getin:

Have there ever been boards with pcie slots on both sides :haw:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I don't think so, but it sounds like a very asrock thing to do. Bless them.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

movax posted:

We're still expecting Zen 3 TRs to be TRX40, right? No way they launch a new chipset just for that.
Is the IO die still the same or also newer? Since the TRX40 chipset was the Zen 2 IO die, maybe there's still going to be a new one?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

I... what... yes. Yes, I would buy that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

movax posted:

I... what... yes. Yes, I would buy that.

What would something like that be used for?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

priznat posted:

"Only two sides? :crossarms:" - ASRock

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A cooler? Noctua NHD15s, check it fits your case. Done.

denereal visease posted:

+1, that or the normal D-15 if you don't need the offset

I have a 5800X and it likes to spike towards 80F launching Firefox depending on how much multitaskin I'm doing :shepface:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It sounds like you probably want an X570.

I went with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite and it's been fine for me.

I'm fully on team gigabyte after customer support recently. I think you want T topology for that memory. Worth checking that.

Thanks, friends! :toot:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

What would something like that be used for?

Honestly no idea, but I'm sure you could come up with some awesome mATX cube like case thing (Node 804 comes to mind) and do all sorts of weird poo poo with it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Cygni posted:

Generally speaking, VRMs matter far less than forum people on the internet think, especially for stock operation. There are absolutely some total duds out there and if you are trying to squeeze the last 5mhz out of a part or doing LN2, oh yeah, VRM absolutely matters.

But the marketing trying to sell $600 boards and epeen forum warriors have somehow convinced a whole lot of people that they need 12 phase VRMs with 90A SPS just to turn a 105w TDP part on without exploding, and its just not true.

Even that tier list says that mobo is fine for 105W CPUs at stock, they never exceed 142W (the stock PPT) without overclocking.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Munkeymon posted:

Lmao

mITX^3 form factor

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Because of I²R, I'd still like more VRMs rather than less.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

having pcie slots on both sides seems like it'd allow for multi-gpu placement with better airflow

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That sounds like something that would require some insane mountain mods case to utilize.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

shrike82 posted:

having pcie slots on both sides seems like it'd allow for multi-gpu placement with better airflow

Half height itx board with a card on the back.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I installed a CPU cooler for the first time today! I'd been kind of scared of thermal paste and such it but it wasn't that bad. My 3300X now has an Arctic eEsports Duo on it a friend passed on when he upgraded to AIO which is a pretty significant overkill for the four core chip but I see surprisingly impressive performance improvements in CPU bound tasks.

Cygni posted:

Okay, maybe you'll be able to help me with a question I had on this topic? My motherboard (Asus B450 Prime M-A) is considered very poor - I bought it because a CPU/mobo/ram combo was the only way to get a 3300x and the price was right, and at the time I had no intention of overclocking at all. In particular apparently the VRMs lack heatsinks? Now that I've lucked into a better thermal solution I did some googling and found some people saying "the B450 is specced for much higher core count and TDP parts, overclocking a quad core on there should be fine" and some people saying that's untrue. I'm curious - would I be able to if I wanted to?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Until maybe you get to the top of the stack, no board is going to be unfit for operating within spec. The margins on these things are so small you don't want returns and there's not room in the market for the cheap crap at the bottom that floods every other thing-market. I can't imagine a board I wouldn't run a 3300 in, just don't have your case full of dead air.

E: I should read the whole paragraph. Could you OC? Maybe. Odds are the worst case is the board doesn't live as long as it could. Id take a good considered look to see if that was the weak point before trying though.

EE: I am by no means well versed in this, but internet people have a strong tendency to blow things wrt computer hardware / everything out of proportion.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 20, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It is a low tier VRM for sure, but thats not necessarily a bad thing. Having an overkill VRM doesn't really get you anything other than spending extra money that would be better spent on your GPU in games. Those value B450 boards were really designed for 65w parts with minimal airflow (including something like a 6 core Zen3 5600X, which the BIOS now supports). 95-105w parts like a 5800X or above will want some sort of cooling on the VRM to stay at load for any significant period of time without throttling, and that is exacerbated by the lack of heatsinks, but the situation at stock settings in a regular case with a couple of case fans is less dire than some think.

I would probably target a 6 core 5600X as an upgrade, cause it will get you nearly all of the daily driver/gaming performance, and be completely within the boards capabilities without batting an eye. You can absolutely OC a 3300X on it, as well. It is not going to get to those crazy power numbers before hitting its frequency limit anyway.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 20, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, my upgrade path was going to be a 3600, 3600X or 5600X - ideally I'd wait until post pandemic and see stuff going secondhand so that's not for a long time yet. And even at stock speeds the 3300X isn't struggling with my 3070 at 1440p at all, I'm mostly just curious about the functionality given it's part of the package with AMD. I haven't had the option to even try it with my old Intel build - it's kind of novel. Thanks a ton for the responses!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Munkeymon posted:

Ia, ia.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
https://twitter.com/_markel___/status/1373059797155778562

https://twitter.com/_markel___/status/1373134141580058625

"No, it doesn't require physical connections... " implied remote microcode update? Haven't had my morning coffee yet, but drat INTEL, YOU NASTY. Did I fever dream it, or didn't intel drop like ~20 CVE at the end of February already?

If a cloud provider like, I dunno, AWS were to see a major security breach through any number of Intel security calamities, I wonder how much legal exposure they would have at this point. How could a vendor reasonably argue that shared tenancy on Intel processors is a secure situation for their customers after endless bullshit like this being found?

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

"No, it doesn't require physical connections... " implied remote microcode update?

No, the only thing they're talking about there is being able to run these instructions from early boot.

From a security perspective, that means only if you're already compromised.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah from what I gather that instruction only works when the chip is in "Red Unlocked" state, which is the Intel-internal god mode for debugging the processor

If an attacker can coax your CPU into that mode it sounds like you're pretty owned even before they start tinkering with those newly discovered instructions

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 20, 2021

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Lmao, looking forward to no-glass cases making a come back to hide the cyclopean geometry of the many sided mobo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Lmao, looking forward to no-glass cases making a come back to hide the cyclopean geometry of the many sided mobo.

What actually transpires beneath the veil of an Asrock PCB?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB46XpnwhrA

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 20, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Lol if you don't think extradimensional geometries aren't already a part of computers. Everyone knows that USB-A was 4-dimensional from its very inception, but -C actually lets them transfer the expected amount of data without having to resort to reality-warping geometries, and is therefore lower cost to build.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2388#comic

...that said, there *is* still that 2.4GHz interference issue with USB 3.0, so....

edit: https://twitter.com/mifune/status/1373564866443759617

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 21, 2021

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Really interesting chart that popped up in a GN vid (original source here):

All of AMD's non-GoFlo business is not much more than Intel's spillover, and was less as recently as 2019. Nvidia was a bigger customer until this year too.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

take numbers like that with a pinch of salt. 3rd party "market intelligence" reports tend to be pretty dubious especially when you're looking into drilled down data

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Upgraded from a 6700k Skylake i7 to a 5800x and wow this is so much better. Even when not getting big fps boosts in games I'm not getting drops and stutters anymore which is in some ways better than more fps.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Frametimes are absolutely way better than general FPS; games just feel awful to play without us being able to tell exactly why most of the time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
As GN Steve puts it, FPS is just an abstraction for the underlying metric of frame times.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Wouldn't the 7453 SKU be 56 threads?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

K8.0 posted:

As GN Steve puts it, FPS is just an abstraction for the underlying metric of frame times.

it's the same number expressed in two different ways, so it's not an abstraction of anything

if you have a large variance in framerate, that is literally the same thing as a large variance in frametimes and equally bad

don't make the mistake of taking techtubers as being too authoritative, they can get stuck into their own weird headspaces just like any random person, and steve's "frametimes are totally different from framerates!" is one of them. Or rather, he redefines it in his personal usage to mean something other than the strict technical meaning. when he says "frametimes" he usually uses it to mean "0.1% lows" or "framepacing", somewhat ambiguously.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There's a difference in how they're usually presented, FPS counters usually do a rolling average that obscures small variances but frametime numbers are usually graphed without any filtering

There's no reason you couldn't show non-averaged FPS but people aren't used to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's the same number expressed in two different ways, so it's not an abstraction of anything

if you have a large variance in framerate, that is literally the same thing as a large variance in frametimes and equally bad

I thought that it was possible and common in the past to have a framerate that is consistently high while having frame timing issues that made the game feel juddery. Basically what caused the SLI micro-studder.