Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I wonder if you can crush that poo poo up and roll stuff in it before frying it

Like Chipstick halloumi bites or something. That sounds pretty great tbh

Probably. I can and do add crushed chips to my fried chicken coating.

Edit: 107mm is the size of the Chinese version of the Katyusha :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jakabite posted:

A good bet can still be (and often is) on an outcome other than the most likely one.

Crispchat is fine but I feel like we were actually getting somewhere with the NIP stuff - I think if I'm going to support it I really do want the full story of what happened with the no-platforming thing. If both Rumda and C-NIP (and anyone else who was about) could find the time to write a little more about what, exactly, happened, I think a lot of people would appreciate it. Whether I support the NIP depends on it, cos I really would find it hard to support a party that thinks platforming fash and terfs is cool and good. I could handle some people naively believing it is but if that's the only acceptable position in the party then... yeah, not good.

yeah its never gonna get anywhere its going to face the same canned response of oh she's just a crazy trans woman mouthing off that it always gets both inside and outside that party the well has been poisoned too much for anything I say to be taken seriously

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

OwlFancier posted:

Is it like an independent shop or something because it's bizzare to me that a local supermarket would go through milk (or maggie) so slowly as to have it go out of date.

Yeah, it's a corner shop 5 minutes away as we're in a remote end of a remotish town. The next closest shop is an RS McColls a 15 minutes walk away, then a medium sized coop 30 minutes away and after that it's a 20 minute drive to a big Tesco.

Most stuff has a really short shelf life (like crisps going out of date in the next 6 months), or is out of date so i dunno if it's someone who has a bunch of shops and just ships the end of life stuff here to fob off to folk who don't have much of a choice.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
preparing food is a filthy and disgusting business and it only gets worse as a profession. if new stats showed that half of the covid deaths were actually lockdown deliveroo food poisoning I wouldn't be surprised.

only the monster munch are safe.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I remember vaguely watching a TV drama in the 90s set in the UK where a "reform" party was cruising to victory after the leader punched a terrorist at a big event dinner and threw a bomb out the window.

What I'm saying is, can we punch Keith and throw him out the window?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kin posted:

Yeah, it's a corner shop 5 minutes away as we're in a remote end of a remotish town. The next closest shop is an RS McColls a 15 minutes walk away, then a medium sized coop 30 minutes away and after that it's a 20 minute drive to a big Tesco.

Most stuff has a really short shelf life (like crisps going out of date in the next 6 months), or is out of date so i dunno if it's someone who has a bunch of shops and just ships the end of life stuff here to fob off to folk who don't have much of a choice.

I worked at my old man's shop for years when I was a teenager - poo poo is frequently out of date in a medium size independent shop where a bored teenager has no real interest in scrutinizing the best by dates on everything.

Like, if you stock your shop by going to the local cash'n'carry and filling the back of the van with boxes of crisps, you'd be lucky to even get 6 months shelf-life from the wholesaler

Anyone suggesting calling the authorities because an item is past it's BB date is a psycho, please cop on to yourself. Also - food waste is one of the biggest moral obscenities of the West, and while it's largely driven by corporate practice there's also the issue of people being complete loving babies about dates printed on packaging (which have little relationship to reality)

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

there's also the issue of people being complete loving babies about dates printed on packaging (which have little relationship to reality)

My friends who live near us are infuriating with this. Anything even one day out of date goes in the bin. She can't deal with it. Also she frantically checks online guidelines for meals in the fridge and freezer and throws them out after a stupid short time.

Like yeah. Not a good idea to eat week old rice from the fridge...but a lot of things are just fine.

We just have them bring us all their food that is going to "go bad" and make lots of salsa or freeze it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's worth saying maybe that I obviously apologised and replaced things for people if I accidentally sold them out of date goods, and would check items while i scanned them, etc. Obviously people should have an expectation of purchasing in-date goods, and product rotation on the shelf is pretty straightforward even to a lazy stoned teenage prick like young Imagineer.

Also, I was robbing the place blind as retribution for my aul fella stiffing my mother on child-support payments, so really the whole work experience was formative and a land of contrasts

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

Mebh posted:

Not a good idea to eat week old rice from the fridge...

let he who is without sin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to call the police and tell them that the local shop is selling I Can't Believe It's Not Butter as butter and institutional violence as community policing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mebh posted:

What I'm saying is, can we punch Keith and throw him out the window?

He is way ahead of you on this and has been building up a protective layer of bacon and whiskey fat which will bounce him to safety

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Rumda posted:

yeah its never gonna get anywhere its going to face the same canned response of oh she's just a crazy trans woman mouthing off that it always gets both inside and outside that party the well has been poisoned too much for anything I say to be taken seriously

Hmm, well that''s fine but there definitely are people here who don't just think that and will challenge anyone in the NIP who explains it away in such a fashion.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Wait there are actually people who open a bottle of ketchup or mustard or whatever then throw it away half full after three weeks because the label says to? I always assume any time limit on packaging can be doubled or tripled at least without problem and they're mostly there to cover the producer legally more than anything else. It's pretty easy to tell what's gone bad by looking at it and giving it a sniff. Pretty sure I've accidently eaten sauce that's been in a cupboard for six months opened without any problems.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

Wait there are actually people who open a bottle of ketchup or mustard or whatever then throw it away half full after three weeks because the label says to? I always assume any time limit on packaging can be doubled or tripled at least without problem and they're mostly there to cover the producer legally more than anything else. It's pretty easy to tell what's gone bad by looking at it and giving it a sniff.

In my experience most condiments are fine after well over a year.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mebh posted:

Not a good idea to eat week old rice from the fridge

Often Abbreviated posted:

let he who is without sin

Its called 'Fried Rice Syndrome'.

It killed some student a few weeks back, he had some week old chinese in the fridge

https://biomedgrid.com/fulltext/volume5/fried-rice-syndrome-a-disease-of-fast-world-scientific-analysis.000979.php

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Why on earth would you bet on either labour or the NIP? They're going for the same voters, the most likely outcome is a split combined with a lovely candidate, the previous one resigning, and declining vote share meaning the tories get the seat.

Because when they were at 200/1 (hell, even 50/1) the odds made it worthwhile.

Gambling is often less about the most likely outcome & more about the "best value".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Sounds like it could b cereus.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

happyhippy posted:

It killed some student a few weeks back, he had some week old chinese in the fridge

https://biomedgrid.com/fulltext/volume5/fried-rice-syndrome-a-disease-of-fast-world-scientific-analysis.000979.php

from the article posted:

The illness generally persists no longer than 24 hours and is rarely fatal

I'll take those odds

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
Trick to not getting food poisoning from rice is to put it straight into the fridge when still hot (people used to say "don't hot food in the fridge it messes it all up" but these days modern fridges are fine). Basically, you need to get it down to fridge temps from hot ASAP because the danger zone for the dodgy bacteria to grow is when it's cooled down a bit but still warm.

And then when you eat it likewise you need to properly nuke it

It's a good habit for food more broadly to do the same - i.e. as soon as you're done and it's still hot put it in the fridge straight away. Don't leave it on the side to cool to room temp before putting it in.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

In my experience most condiments are fine after well over a year.

In the UK most will keep for years unrefrigerated.

In the fridge they'll last forever.

Looks lovingly at bottle of plum sauce from 2009. Hasn't killed me yet.

I'm think it says something about the amount of preservatives present in our food.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did anyone else have the danger zone thing hammered into them at school and also at every job that involved even being tangentially near an food that someone else might feasibly place in their mouth?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm eating last night's take away pizza left on the counter the next morning when I get up at 4pm regardless of anything anyone says.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Got my level 2 refresher next month

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
For anyone confused by the NIPper chat (not the drama but the broader rationale) this is a pretty good explainer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orh1Z0Ol6T4 the party leader is hobbit-named as gently caress lol also I'm 90% sure this youtuber posts here so Hi keep at it lad (if you're gonna make a new twitter account for your channel that's smart but ffs dont immediately follow a specifically disparate group of lefty wierdos with that too it's a dead giveaway).

Also while Rumda absolutely is a disingenuous wokescold bully, I've been reading about the GIC and while it's not quite as awful as it generally gets described ITT it is significantly worse than I assumed it was at the time. As wierd as it is the people of the UK are legit good on trans rights, the healthcare system of the UK is legit good, but the intersection of them in the GIC is significantly worse than the sum of it's parts. On that point you lot were right, I was wrong, the GIC is indefensibly, objectively underperforming.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ewan posted:

Trick to not getting food poisoning from rice is to put it straight into the fridge when still hot (people used to say "don't hot food in the fridge it messes it all up" but these days modern fridges are fine). Basically, you need to get it down to fridge temps from hot ASAP because the danger zone for the dodgy bacteria to grow is when it's cooled down a bit but still warm.

It's a good habit for food more broadly to do the same - i.e. as soon as you're done and it's still hot put it in the fridge straight away. Don't leave it on the side to cool to room temp before putting it in.

Gordon Ramsay almost physically a assaulted a cook who attempted to do this on his show, so no, probably won't be doing any of that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
"wokescold" lmao

I feel like every vitamin P post is a fascinating entry from Reddit Dictionary

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah I mentioned it in the covid thread but not here - if there's a large vaccination centre (the type that are in halls, not the type in chemists or hospitals) near you and you fancy jumping the queue, hang around near the front door around six o'clock. At the moment spare doses (not normally a huge amount, maybe a dozen or so) are going to volunteers and non-NHS venue staff but quite a few centres have already hit saturation point for them and are now basically grabbing people off the street.

It's never going to be official policy (because the last thing they need is big crowds at the end of the day, most of whom will be turned away of course) but like I say there's a better-than-zero chance that if you've got the time to spare you could get your nanochips installed early.

Update on side effects - hangover mostly gone now and temperature back to high side of normal, replaced with a bunch of random stuff that might not even be actual effects but are just psychosomatic because I'm looking out for them - slight ringing and pressure in the ears, gritty eyes like I've got hayfever (probably actually because I've been stuck indoors watching telly all day) and a pain in my shoulder and neck on the side that got the jab. Infection site is swollen but not red and not actually that painful. All in all I've had far worse.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Gordon Ramsay almost physically a assaulted a cook who attempted to do this on his show, so no, probably won't be doing any of that.

Ramsay is a oval office though

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I'm of the "leave the pot uncovered on the hob for up to 3 days after cooking and continue to eat from it" school and despite my most earnest efforts I continue to live. this is Britain. nothing grows here except us.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I've had a master stock going for the best part of a month one time. Perfectly safe and delicious to use.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Often Abbreviated posted:

I'm of the "ltpuothfutdacactefi" school and despite my mee I ctl. tiB. ngheu.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Ewan posted:

*furiously takes notes* and how much is a proper nuke?

Seriously I see people eating curry and rice for lunch at work and I'm sitting there all sad with my riceless curry and an NHS health page telling me not to reheat rice

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nonsense posted:

I don't take orders from him. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mrpwase posted:

*furiously takes notes* and how much is a proper nuke?
About £31bn

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

nominative determinism strikes again

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nonsense posted:

There's a couple of reasons you don't put hot food straight into cold storage* but it all just gets drilled into every single person who's ever worked in a kitchen to just never, ever do it, and any cook who attempts it does need a smack upside the head for that reason, because even if it's safe in that particular circumstance, it's just Something You Never Ever Do.

* Off the top of my head (and it's coming on for 30 years since I worked in a kitchen so I may have some of these wrong):
- Basic hygiene - a hot item placed next to a cold item is going to heat up that cold item, so you could put the thing you thought was safe into the danger zone, particularly in small chillers or in walk-in freezers which take *ages* to cool something down
- Anything mostly liquid, like sauces and soups, tend to freeze around the outside which actually insulates the interior and, counterintuitively, can keep the interior warmer than if it were just left on the side to drop to room temperature before freezing (again this is a particular problem with walk-in freezers)
- Anything with a high fat content, particularly stuff like minced meat, will separate as it cools which makes the fat settle at the top where it can go rancid - you're supposed to let it cool and give it an occasional stir before freezing
Also there was something about dairy-based sauces going weird if they're frozen too quickly but I can't remember what that was.

For a home fridge or freezer - and for home-sized food servings - it's not such a problem but that poo poo gets drilled into you so much that I still hesitate before chucking stuff in the fridge, like I say, 30 years on.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Convex posted:

Ramsay is a oval office though

Gordon Ramsay seems to genuinely be utterly conflicted by his own contradictions between himself and his brand and he has a decent sense of humour about it. I feel like he put the graft in, made it big, and has regretted 90% of it ever since but can never escape the inertia.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jakabite posted:

Hmm, well that''s fine but there definitely are people here who don't just think that and will challenge anyone in the NIP who explains it away in such a fashion.

Count your lesbian dad (me) in on that one.

I came back to this thread after a year to find everyone going “oh that Rumda, (a woman I’ve always found to be perfectly lovely) she’s just angry these days for some reason and we don’t know why” and no one actually thought to chuffing ask her and find out why.

Having an argument off site and then having the people involved come on SA and gaslight you, or worse, simply ignore you and carry on as if you don’t even exist, will oddly enough piss someone the gently caress off and make them lash out.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I get really uncomfortable watching Ramsay cook with his daughter. The interactions just seem very very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh yeh, and there is a massive gently caress off difference between being a minority in a position of power and the ordinary proles, you think people act racist/sexist/anti-LGBT/sexist in front of the boss?
Of course they don’t this is how whenever a movement like Me too or BLM happens the bosses go “oh we had no evidence! This is a surprise to us!”