Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I weep for you as you buy another million dollar house

4m dkk = 640k usd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I am constantly worried about getting fired yeah. But to be fair I put in the lowest amount of effort possible and almost never arrive on time. I've been here over three years and recently became the not-most-junior guy. I absolutely deserve to be fired but every time I think I'm going to get reamed for something that seems super serious everyone kind of shrugs and doesn't care at all? Everything is so stupid

:same:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://alumni.activisionblizzard.com/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1372584471476723718

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

quote:

Corporate Alumni Platform

Engaging with former employees enables organizations to expand talent pools, drive sales and promote their brand.

EnterpriseAlumni enables organizations to Attract, Engage & Activate their Alumni Community.
lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Well at least they're working hard to make the world a better *looks at notes* oh .... oh no ... oh no no no

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

thanks grandma

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

4m dkk = 640k usd

I've never been so owned in my life

I'll weep as he buys another Six-hundred Forty thousand dollar house

poor poverty stricken bastard

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Bloop posted:

I've never been so owned in my life

I'll weep as he buys another Six-hundred Forty thousand dollar house

poor poverty stricken bastard

Nobody cares, you don't have to gatekeep anti-capitalism so hard that you exclude people paying mortgages to a bank that owns their deed

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1372990144198811656

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tempt me to kick it over more like it

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I think Blizzard may finally be paying the piper on their policy of "we don't need to pay you at all well, we'll work you too death for pennies and you'll ask for now because we're Blizzard." When Diablo 4 sucks, it might be over for them as anything other than a steward for WoW.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

people should talk about how much money they make more often, not talking about it helps corporations and no one else

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nobody cares, you don't have to gatekeep anti-capitalism so hard that you exclude people paying mortgages to a bank that owns their deed
lol ok mom

(thats not what this was about you doof)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

inferis posted:

people should talk about how much money they make more often, not talking about it helps corporations and no one else

Seriously. It's loving weird (lol no, it's capitalism) how we've all learned that our salaries are private. I was recently negotiating for a new job, and the combination of my union giving me wage statistics and co-workers being willing to tell me their pay helped me set a much higher goal and in the end land a higher pay. If everyone knew each others pay, it would be way easier to see when you were getting screwed, and to demand more in negotiations.

Guy who hates me for buying a house: I'm buying a house for my family, and because I can't/won't drive, I need it to be within biking distance of stuff. That is a popular thing, so it's expensive. I'm scared of unforeseen costs like undiscovered structural damage, and I hope to poo poo I don't need to divorce my wife anytime soon, because neither of us can afford it. It's the middle class dream, so pretty okay, but it's a fair bit down the line to the guillotine.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

It's the middle class dream, so pretty okay, but it's a fair bit down the line to the guillotine.

640k net worth is absolutely guillotine

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

everyone who has more money than me is a god-drat capitalist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a venture capitalist once bought me lunch and complained about the goddamn plutocrats down in sand hill

his aum was a mere 8 figs

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SchnorkIes posted:

640k net worth is absolutely guillotine

Buying a house on a thirty-year loan that costs $640k does not put you anywhere near a $640k net worth.

In fact, your net worth will go *DOWN* after you do that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

On the one hand I want to talk about my wage because gently caress the man

On the other I've worked with enough people who got mad at me because "you make what I make and I've been here for years" like it's somehow my fault that the company didn't adjust wages across the board after they raised the starting rate that I just keep my mouth shut now

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thanatosian posted:

Buying a house on a thirty-year loan that costs $640k does not put you anywhere near a $640k net worth.

In fact, your net worth will go *DOWN* after you do that.

Even paying that money cash wouldn't change your net worth. When the property appreciates it may but that is about it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
one of my cousins used to work at goldman sachs. I don't know what he did but he made such a stupid amount money that he was able to buy a house in the all rich white people part of New Jersey in his twenties and then his wife got laid off from her part time job she didn't look for another one.

now he works for chase where he makes, i assume, an even more stupid amount of money

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BonHair posted:

Seriously. It's loving weird (lol no, it's capitalism) how we've all learned that our salaries are private. I was recently negotiating for a new job, and the combination of my union giving me wage statistics and co-workers being willing to tell me their pay helped me set a much higher goal and in the end land a higher pay. If everyone knew each others pay, it would be way easier to see when you were getting screwed, and to demand more in negotiations.

Guy who hates me for buying a house: I'm buying a house for my family, and because I can't/won't drive, I need it to be within biking distance of stuff. That is a popular thing, so it's expensive. I'm scared of unforeseen costs like undiscovered structural damage, and I hope to poo poo I don't need to divorce my wife anytime soon, because neither of us can afford it. It's the middle class dream, so pretty okay, but it's a fair bit down the line to the guillotine.

At my last job I told everyone I could how much I was making and if I got a raise with a new position. I know for certain that the bosses did not like that, although they couldn't stop me.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

inferis posted:

I tried this when I am with coworkers but its really hard to get people to open up on this. The more money = better than is so ingrained that it gets real uncomfortable.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Everyone at my job knows how much we all make because everyone makes minimum wage

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

inferis posted:

yeah not talking about wages among coworkers is so bad. I don't get it. none of us are millionaires.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bedpan posted:

At my last job I told everyone I could how much I was making and if I got a raise with a new position. I know for certain that the bosses did not like that, although they couldn't stop me.

I tell people my wage and help them prepare for salary negotiations, and I've gotten the same info from others. It's part of not being a scab

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

I genuinely don't hate you for buying a house

I was mocking you for complaining about your apparently impossibly easy job that pays very well

I hope I can have the same first world problems as you soon enough

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had an untipped cooking job where I told a tipped server how much I made and then they tried to get my pay reduced to be "fair."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thanatosian posted:

I think Blizzard may finally be paying the piper on their policy of "we don't need to pay you at all well, we'll work you too death for pennies and you'll ask for now because we're Blizzard." When Diablo 4 sucks, it might be over for them as anything other than a steward for WoW.

Nah, The Diablo 2 remake will sell like gangbusters

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
I've never received a poor performance review and I've been randomly fired out of the blue before. It was pretty awesome asking my boss' boss why they were letting me go and getting mumbly non-answers in increasingly agitated tones. The lady at the unemployment office when I filed for benefits kept saying "no one ever gets fired for no reason, what was the real reason??" A few days later she called me back and said "they really wouldn't give me an answer so we're approving your claim." It was the only time I didn't have to do the "appeal the first couple denials to actually get unemployment" dance. Still don't know what their deal was, but the awesome thing is I haven't ever felt secure at any job since.

My point is enjoy the ride at all times because the earth beneath your feet will forsake you without warning.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I tell people my wage and help them prepare for salary negotiations, and I've gotten the same info from others. It's part of not being a scab

This is explicitly why I told people my wage as well. I know this is why the bosses didn't like it too. A couple of the managers mentioned this to me indirectly and I replied both times that the world would be a better place if everyone told everyone else what they made.

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

I've never received a poor performance review and I've been randomly fired out of the blue before.

I've talked to a great many people, managers and supervisors as well, who flat out didn't believe that people were ever fired "without cause." I even followed this up with the implications of the Right to Work law but they would still disbelieve or would retreat into a vague "well that just doesn't make sense" or "why would a business do that" defense.

These people were intelligent, experienced professionals. They had gone to universities and received advanced degrees. They held positions of power and influence.

bedpan has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Mar 20, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

I know entirely too many people hyped to buy the same game they've been playing for 20 years with none of the QoL improvements of those 20 years

Edit: wage chat, the person above me reminded me of my future sister-in-law who works for the state and hates it because 1) she can't bargain at raise time it's a flat percentage and 2) she hates that anyone can see how much she makes. As soon as her public service is up and her student loans are forgiven she's going to the private sector because "that's where the money is"

Len has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Mar 20, 2021

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Just like the Warcraft 3 remake...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

I've never received a poor performance review and I've been randomly fired out of the blue before. It was pretty awesome asking my boss' boss why they were letting me go and getting mumbly non-answers in increasingly agitated tones. The lady at the unemployment office when I filed for benefits kept saying "no one ever gets fired for no reason, what was the real reason??" A few days later she called me back and said "they really wouldn't give me an answer so we're approving your claim." It was the only time I didn't have to do the "appeal the first couple denials to actually get unemployment" dance. Still don't know what their deal was, but the awesome thing is I haven't ever felt secure at any job since.

My point is enjoy the ride at all times because the earth beneath your feet will forsake you without warning.

Sounds like you didn't get fired for no reason but instead for some illegal reason

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommonShore posted:

I had an untipped cooking job where I told a tipped server how much I made and then they tried to get my pay reduced to be "fair."

America Runs On Spite

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

Sounds like you didn't get fired for no reason but instead for some illegal reason

Some of us live in hellscapes where no reason needs to be given :911:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

CommonShore posted:

crabs, bucket, etc

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Shame Boy posted:

;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

blizzard hasn't made a good game since activision bought them. welp cya