Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

First SMT game to come out on Steam. Heard good things about this one over the years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1413480/Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne_HD_Remaster/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ulio posted:

First SMT game to come out on Steam. Heard good things about this one over the years.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1413480/Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne_HD_Remaster/

SHRIEKS

I HAVE 200 HOURS IN THIS GAME AND I'LL PUT IN 200 MORE HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo

This is my favorite jrpg OF ALL TIME

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ulio posted:

I hope they bring 4/4 Apocalypse over. And fix the godawful first boss fight in 4 while they’re at it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Btw not sure if the release date is correct. It shows March 25 but all the press releases showing May 25.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ulio posted:

holy piss I thought this was going to be switch exclusive

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

How is GTA V? Does it still allow for fun rampages and police chases in all sorts of vehicles?

I say this with all seriousness, even if you ignore (or even enjoy) Rockstar’s writing, the single player for GTA5 is pretty bad for an open world game.

The only heist mission that acts like a heist mission is the first one and the rest are just shootouts maybe with an incredibly obvious “choice” to get a slightly better outcome. Franklin, the only potentially interesting character, is completely sidelined by the halfway point in favor of Trevor/the developers yelling at you and Michael’s hilarious mid-life crisis antics. It feels like a quarter of the missions are driving across the map while listening to people talk and then driving back while people talk. You never feel like you have enough money to do random fun poo poo much less buy any of the map’s properties without some really dumb and unexplained meta game involving the in-game stock market (or maybe you could just buy the Convenient Time Saving Money Cards!). The cops are now actually effective for some reason so the second you get out of a vehicle at a higher star rating you’re already dead plus you lose health and armor way faster anyways. By the time it was over and I thought about it for a bit I honestly hated it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The new EA play desktop only shows me as having 2 games.
But Origin shows me having 6.
Starting off great.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

SHRIEKS

I HAVE 200 HOURS IN THIS GAME AND I'LL PUT IN 200 MORE HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo

This is my favorite jrpg OF ALL TIME

So it's good??

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kibayasu posted:

I say this with all seriousness, even if you ignore (or even enjoy) Rockstar’s writing, the single player for GTA5 is pretty bad for an open world game.

The only heist mission that acts like a heist mission is the first one and the rest are just shootouts maybe with an incredibly obvious “choice” to get a slightly better outcome. Franklin, the only potentially interesting character, is completely sidelined by the halfway point in favor of Trevor/the developers yelling at you and Michael’s hilarious mid-life crisis antics. It feels like a quarter of the missions are driving across the map while listening to people talk and then driving back while people talk. You never feel like you have enough money to do random fun poo poo much less buy any of the map’s properties without some really dumb and unexplained meta game involving the in-game stock market (or maybe you could just buy the Convenient Time Saving Money Cards!). The cops are now actually effective for some reason so the second you get out of a vehicle at a higher star rating you’re already dead plus you lose health and armor way faster anyways. By the time it was over and I thought about it for a bit I honestly hated it.
When Rockstar discovered how profitable Online was, they dropped SP like a hot potato.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ulio posted:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

hemale in pain posted:

does it work for anyone? everytime i try to install a game it just loads up EA Desktop and tells me to buy the game

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is that GoG Galaxy? EA Play titles are not showing up for me there.
It's not GoG Galaxy, it's a view from Xbox Game Pass but it's just an information page on the integration with the EA destkop app.

I just tested it and it works - I'm downloading Need for Speed Heat as I'm writing this. You have to link the Xbox Game Pass with the EA Desktop first (this can be done by clicking on the big EA banner in Xbox Game Pass and then following links from there). Once you're inside EA Desktop and you have an account set up (either a new one or your Origin account also works) you can install any game that has EA Play written in the corner. NOT EA Play PRO, NOT nothing, ONLY games with EA Play, you can filter for them. If you click on anything else EA will ask for money.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

When Rockstar discovered how profitable Online was, they dropped SP like a hot potato.

GTA V SP is a fully complete and pretty huge game so ???

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also here are screenshots of all the games available from EA Play via Game Pass, there are far more titles (and some indie ones too) than initially shown:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Orv posted:

A bunch of major SP bugs are apparently still around years later (with the multiplayer constantly updated through those years), and in fact some multiplayer balance stuff was backported to make the SP game less fun.

(I haven't actually played GTA 5 to date. Just read a bunch of reviews and watched some rear end in a top hat try to pacifist his way through the game)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 19, 2021

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Might get EA game pass. I've been meaning to give FTL a try

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ulio posted:

Hell yes, so excited to finally play this. I absolutely loved 4/Apocalypse, and everyone talks about this one having a really cool plot.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Orv posted:

It's extremely lacking compared to every prior GTA. It's impossible to play the game and not realize how it's both pared down and actively hostile to the player in order to push people toward Online and microtransactions.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Even considering Sega's renewed interest in porting stuff to the PC, getting the Nocturne remaster on Steam is really unexpected. I wonder if this helps the chances of SMTV on PC as well or if that's always been destined to begin its life as a Switch exclusive.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

It's extremely lacking compared to every prior GTA. It's impossible to play the game and not realize how it's both pared down and actively hostile to the player in order to push people toward Online and microtransactions.

Yeaaaah I don't really buy that take.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of unexpected ports, I wish Sony would give an actual release date for Days Gone already. I’m guessing 4/26, since that’ll be the two year mark for the PS4 launch, but I’d like an actual day.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

rt4 posted:

Might get EA game pass. I've been meaning to give FTL a try

If you're not going to be playing games outside EA's app, you should probably get EA Play directly from EA themselves. It's only $5/month (or $30 for a whole year) while the full Xbox Game Pass is $10/month. And you get to launch the games through Origin, which is a lot less buggy than the new EA Desktop thing. You can't use Origin with the Xbox-connected EA Play which is quite dumb.

EA Play is also on Steam, but that one has EA games only so it will not give you FTL.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

K8.0 posted:

You realise it launched without online, right? It's also not all that hostile, given it gives you so much poo poo in terms of raw assets over the course of the campaign. It's practically no different to GTA 4.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
GTA 5 single player was always stingy with money. Though I remember that at launch it did NOT have an airliner falling from the sky every time you drove up to Michael's house.

The cries of neglect of single player comes from the fact that NONE of the cool content from Online has been moved into single player, and the single player expansions that Rockstar claimed they worked on got dropped/transformed into Online content.

Orv posted:

The idea that they would backport the MP stuff to SP has always seemed completely nuts to me but I will admit them scrapping SP expansions in favor of making them MP content is a poo poo move.

I'm not talking about the heists or poo poo, I'm talking about cars and stuff. How hard would it be to backport a car into single player too?

ymgve fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 20, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
The idea that they would backport the MP stuff to SP has always seemed completely nuts to me but I will admit them scrapping SP expansions in favor of making them MP content is a poo poo move.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had way more fun playing GTA4 and could actually get into its story. NPCs interrupting you to go bowling or whatever was also way overblown.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
GTA V is meh. Even outside all the nonsense about the online mode, it's much harder to have fun messing around causing mayhem and running away from cops. The AI is too deadly and the effort to make the game more "realistic" makes it kind of a chore.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You realise it launched without online, right? It's also not all that hostile, given it gives you so much poo poo in terms of raw assets over the course of the campaign. It's practically no different to GTA 4.

The game is designed such that you're always bleeding money, with the intent that if you do the typical GTA messing around you'll run out and need to go play MP. There's also very little to do outside the story besides collectibles, prior games had a lot more engaging side content. In V all that stuff is moved to online, especially anything repeatable that might keep a player coming back.

It's a shame because TLAD and TBOGT are easily the two best pieces of DLC/expansion ever, taking a mediocre base game and making something great out of it with both better content and new features. Rockstar will never make the mistake of providing that kind of value again, they're all about optimizing how much they can monetize every moment of your time at this point.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Also that thing about some random guy improving the game's loading times by 70% by fixing Rockstar's lovely coding is loving embarrassing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Delsaber posted:

Even considering Sega's renewed interest in porting stuff to the PC, getting the Nocturne remaster on Steam is really unexpected. I wonder if this helps the chances of SMTV on PC as well or if that's always been destined to begin its life as a Switch exclusive.

It's funny because both Sega and Atlus USA were really early adopters of steam as a platform. Sega put a bunch of old Genesis and Dreamcast stuff on there really early on, and Atlus USA was publishing stuff like Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages. It's only the Japanese branch of Atlus that has been dragging their heels.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I thought that the single player campaign in GTA5 was fine, the main gimmick was being able to switch between 3 protagonists and let me tell you, you won't guess what Trevor was up to etc. Sure that if you compare it to something like Episodes from Liberty City which was elevated by The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned then it doesn't look that good but imo it was as solid as base GTA 4 and I didn't feel pressured by online content at all. I played on the PS4 though, way earlier than the PC release.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

I'm not talking about the heists or poo poo, I'm talking about cars and stuff. How hard would it be to backport a car into single player too?

I mean it would (probably?) not be that hard but it'd also be AFAIK unprecedented and worth nobodies time to do.

I don't think it would be bad if they did or anything I'm just not surprised they don't.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wanted to replay GTA V, having beaten it on PS3 at release, but once I started I remembered all the frustrating bits with never getting paid in the campaign and ended up bailing.

If it had shooting as good as Max Payne 3 I probably would have stuck it out, but it doesn’t. You’re way too fragile.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

While it's great that Nocturne is coming to steam, what the hell is going on with that price?
I could probably live with paying 50 euros for the remaster of a (really loving good) 17 year old game, but 20 euros more for the dlc is really pushing it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

K8.0 posted:

It's a shame because TLAD and TBOGT are easily the two best pieces of DLC/expansion ever, taking a mediocre base game and making something great out of it with both better content and new features. Rockstar will never make the mistake of providing that kind of value again, they're all about optimizing how much they can monetize every moment of your time at this point.
The biker assholes were insufferable even by GTA NPC standards. I'm really glad they all got canonically killed. The other DLC had the bright idea of forcing you to go through a bunch of helicopter missions with GTA controls if you want to progress the main plot. As someone who actually rather liked GTA IV and may replay it sometime, the DLC was a total waste of time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Flimf posted:

While it's great that Nocturne is coming to steam, what the hell is going on with that price?
I could probably live with paying 50 euros for the remaster of a (really loving good) 17 year old game, but 20 euros more for the dlc is really pushing it.

I'm waiting to see how much the individual DLCs cost after release. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the lion's share of that cost is Dante and the OST DLC since it involves paying out other parties.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Flimf posted:

This is also locked behind the deluxe edition for some reason:

quote:

Merciful Difficulty

Suggested for beginners or those who want to enjoy the story.
Selectable at New Game. Also changeable at any time from the Config menu.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Begemot posted:

Hell yes, so excited to finally play this. I absolutely loved 4/Apocalypse, and everyone talks about this one having a really cool plot.
It's more the setting/atmosphere than the plot itself IMO. The game really sells the Vortex World as a completely hostile alien place that humans have no place in. The actual plot is kinda barebones.

Delsaber posted:

A Steam release of 5 is certainly within the realm of possibility. I suppose it depends upon how far they are into development right now, how easy the port would be, and whether or not Nintendo's either A) bankrolling the game or B) paying for timed exclusivity.

Begemot posted:

It's funny because both Sega and Atlus USA were really early adopters of steam as a platform. Sega put a bunch of old Genesis and Dreamcast stuff on there really early on, and Atlus USA was publishing stuff like Zeno Clash and Rock of Ages. It's only the Japanese branch of Atlus that has been dragging their heels.
Really cements the theory that Atlus Japan is run by a bunch of extremely conservative types who were apparently terrified that PC is a wasteland of piracy.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

After being spoiled by all the other better open world games over the years, GTA V was the first one I had fun with since San Andreas. I got it free and expected I'd do a mission or two and be bored, but I totally got sucked in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Flimf posted:

I would like to replay SMTN because it's one of my favourite RPGs of all time, but yeah, I think $90NZD is too high for the convenience of not plugging my PS2 back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1295270/SaGa_Frontier_Remastered/
A couple weeks until you can find out what really happened when you took over Hell or what Fuse was doing this whole time.