Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You're correct except for the amount of money involved. This has cost contestants MILLIONS over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9YyCtbMX0

That wouldn’t have won him a million. How it works is that if you land on the million wedge and solve the puzzle you then take it and if you win the game and get to the final puzzle round the million replaces the 100k envelope in the prize spinner which is like one of 30 or something. Then you have to solve the puzzle.

It’s only happened twice in 12 years I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That wouldn’t have won him a million. How it works is that if you land on the million wedge and solve the puzzle you then take it and if you win the game and get to the final puzzle round the million replaces the 100k envelope in the prize spinner which is like one of 30 or something. Then you have to solve the puzzle.

It’s only happened twice in 12 years I believe.

Even if you get the million tile, you lose it if you hit a bankrupt before winning the round.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You're correct except for the amount of money involved. This has cost contestants MILLIONS over the years.

This is the saddest buzz I've heard in my life.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Wow, the 2nd guy pronounced it weirdly too tbh.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm really down for Katie being the permanent host if they don't go with Ken or give LeVar a chance.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Katie did ok, she was stiff at first but got more comfortable as time wore on. I don't think she'll get or take the job though.

Dr. Oz is next so I expect a non-zero amount of TV's to undergo immolation on Monday.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm really down for Katie being the permanent host if they don't go with Ken or give LeVar a chance.

Ugh, God, no. I hate the way she talks to the contestants like she's a first-grade teacher. "Yes, good job, everyone! Now we get to play some more!" Just terrible and forced.

Also, people need to remember that these guest hosting spots aren't auditions, they're running out the clock on the season and trying to goose the ratings before announcing a new permanent host when the new season starts taping in July or August.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Host aside, that was a great contest, and the winner seems like a character. Reminds somehow of a Start Trek actor, though not sure if it’s Brent Spiner or Dr Phlox.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Island Nation posted:

Dr. Oz is next so I expect a non-zero amount of TV's to undergo immolation on Monday.

I guess at least we get to tear that bandaid off early

Timby posted:

Ugh, God, no. I hate the way she talks to the contestants like she's a first-grade teacher. "Yes, good job, everyone! Now we get to play some more!" Just terrible and forced.

Yeah, that really is my problem with her as host

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Island Nation posted:

Katie did ok, she was stiff at first but got more comfortable as time wore on. I don't think she'll get or take the job though.

If this is true I'll burn my TV ahead of time.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

wooger posted:

Host aside, that was a great contest, and the winner seems like a character. Reminds somehow of a Start Trek actor, though not sure if it’s Brent Spiner or Dr Phlox.
I came here to check whether that guy was a goon

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Nick sucks. He's annoying, and I know it's only been one game, but I don't think he's good enough to win consistently with Holzhauer's strategy.

e: I hope he loses soon, but I will give him props, I don't remember anyone copying Holzhauer's strategy so exactly and actually winning.

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 20, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I hate Wheel because the whole show seems designed to snatch away any money people might get.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Everyone knows the answer, but we need to spin the wheel 8 more times to guess every letter in it rather than just reveal the clue because that's how you maximize winnings.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

packetmantis posted:

I hate Wheel because the whole show seems designed to snatch away any money people might get.

Lmao if you’re not a fan of a game show because of that NEVER EVER watch the game show The Wall which will literally give you millions of dollars and then take it away a minute later. Seriously Lebron James decided to take Plinko and turn it into the single cruelest game show on the planet.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

packetmantis posted:

Wheel of Fortune is like if a scratch off lottery ticket was a TV show.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't watch The Wall because Chris Hardwick is a rapist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

packetmantis posted:

I don't watch The Wall because Chris Hardwick is a rapist.

They got a new host.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Is everyone ready for Dr. Oz to host tonight?

:suicide:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's Sunday :)

I won't be watching the next two weeks though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh boy, I'm really nailing this whole "life" thing today.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

zakharov posted:

I won't be watching the next two weeks though.

:same:

I can think of more inappropriate hosts for this game...but not that many.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, normally Jeopardy is appointment television for me, but for the next two weeks my TV will very pointedly not be tuned to my NBC affiliate at 4:30 p.m.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

Yeah, normally Jeopardy is appointment television for me, but for the next two weeks my TV will very pointedly not be tuned to my NBC affiliate at 4:30 p.m.

It won't be hard to find a movie to be watching instead of J! This week

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you need something to do in the next two weeks and you happen to play Learned League, go ahead and vote for option 38 for Best Wrong Answer!

This is my trivia peak and I will never do anything this cool again ever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And of course Dr. Oz is donating the money from his guest hosting stint to his own charity.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

HookShot posted:

If you need something to do in the next two weeks and you happen to play Learned League, go ahead and vote for option 38 for Best Wrong Answer!

This is my trivia peak and I will never do anything this cool again ever.

it's so weird that you can vote with fewer than half the match day BWAs available

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spokes posted:

it's so weird that you can vote with fewer than half the match day BWAs available

I agree, they should do it the week after the season ends IMO.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Dr. Oz hosting is just... yeech.

There is no one less suited to be host of Jeopardy! than that huckster quack piece of poo poo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Word on the street is that it was not a good experience for the people who taped and that one of the tape days went until 9pm, which is insane. (This is not first hand information, it’s a rumour only)

HookShot fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 22, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HookShot posted:

Word on the street is that it was not a good experience for the people who taped and that one of the tape days went until 9pm, which is insane. (This is not first hand information, it’s a rumour only)

Because Oz sucked at it?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because Oz sucked at it?

I mean, that was kind of the implication? But as I said, not even first hand info so who knows.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea assuming it's true unless a contestant literally shat themselves or there was something insane like a long blackout the only reason it'd be that long is if Oz was sucking real bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I totally forgot Oz downplayed the coronavirus. gently caress me it was a mistake to have him on even without that.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1374112543300595726?s=20

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How long is he host for?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

too long

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

2 weeks I think

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

I totally forgot Oz downplayed the coronavirus. gently caress me it was a mistake to have him on even without that.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1374112543300595726?s=20

yea aside from being a general snake oil salesman he hilariously decided to throw in hard with 'actually corona's probably fine' crowd, he was on Fox like every day for the start of this poo poo arguing that 'as a doctor' he knows things are fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Serious question: what the hell were they thinking?

I've seen 100% negative reactions to it, and I can't imagine for the life of me the thought process that leads to having Dr. Motherfucking Oz host Jeopardy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

2 weeks I think

gently caress.