Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The best version/variant of Aria of the Soul / Battle for Everyone's Souls is an obvious choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iN41edczc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I actually just beat the Okumura boss in Royal yesterday. I think it was a great improvement over the original, I remember being SUPER frustrated by that boss. The palace was also much less of a pain.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Really, Mementos is what's going to inevitably overlevel you (and fill your pockets to overflowing with money) if you engage with it at all

I... think I might have stumbled onto what you were referring to here.

I was taking on the miniboss shadow in the required Memento event on May 7th, and cast Pulinpa via Mandrake on it to catch a breather while I healed the party up. Then it started spitting out money and items at me :psyduck:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

anakha posted:

I was taking on the miniboss shadow in the required Memento event on May 7th, and cast Pulinpa via Mandrake on it to catch a breather while I healed the party up. Then it started spitting out money and items at me :psyduck:

Welcome, this is how you break the game over your knee

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With Royal the fun starts when you start to fill out your stamp collection.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

anakha posted:

This is one of the ways you can do this, yes, and one of the ways that worked in vanilla P5.

Royal is going to make even this look small because of a combination of two features. First, Ryuji has a confidant ability that lets you instakill Shadows you sprint into in Mementos if you're stronger than they are, and the requirement there is not as high as you'd think. Second, you'll soon meet a boy named Jose who asks for stamps that you'll find around Mementos. You can use those stamps to increase the EXP, money, and items you gain in Mementos, up to double the normal amount of EXP or money or like 11x the normal amount of items. I strongly recommend maxing out money first. If you put all your stamps into increasing the money you get, you'll probably be able to stop thinking about money entirely by like early summer. You will be rolling in yen for no effort at all.

Thanks to the above, I had one time in my Royal playthrough where I entered Mementos to do a few requests in early November with about 300k yen, and left with almost 4 million after like an hour, without ever consciously grinding. That was just from the Shadows I encountered on my way to do the requests and while looking for stamps.

Money is very, very powerful in Persona 5 as well, especially Royal. You'll be able to spend money with a confidant you'll meet later to make your social stats and confidants rank up faster, and you'll also eventually be able to spend money to fuse Personas that are higher level than you. Being rich lets you break the game in half, and getting rich is not hard at all.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 19, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Music talk, the video Alex Moukala did ranking the Palace themes had some interesting observations (particularly about Madarame's imo).

Spoilers to the identity of each of the palaces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5td7jZgaYs

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Harrow posted:

This is one of the ways you can do this, yes, and one of the ways that worked in vanilla P5.

Royal is going to make even this look small because of a combination of two features. First, Ryuji has a confidant ability that lets you instakill Shadows you sprint into in Mementos if you're stronger than they are, and the requirement there is not as high as you'd think.

The first time I actually used this skill I was really surprised that you get full money, EXP *and* automatically pick up a Persona if you have space. I was already having no trouble with the fighting in this game (aside from the palace boss you guys have been taking about, where it took a few tries to determine the ideal strategy) but it feels like you really have to just hammer through doing as little as possible to be under leveled. Which I honestly prefer to a JRPG with points where you just have to grind out levels,

Also about that particular palace boss: I made a huge mistake on my second try. I made it through all of the waves of smaller robots and got to the one giant one and proceeded to incorrectly assume I could probably tank one of its charged attacks without guarding since I was at full health and boy was I wrong. Took me 3-4 more tries to get back to that point and finish everything correctly.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Oh hey I totally forgot P5 had a scene where Haru blames herself for the Okumura disaster because she didn't want to marry a sexmonster :yikes:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gen. Ripper posted:

Oh hey I totally forgot P5 had a scene where Haru blames herself for the Okumura disaster because she didn't want to marry a sexmonster :yikes:

Yeah the way they sat around the table discussing how they got tricked into going after Okumura and bemoaning that they were acting for the wrong reasons felt really mean to Haru, whose life would have been immeasurably worse had they not stopped him.

Also more generally it felt kinda funny to me that they were talking about how much Okumura Foods was abusing its workers and I just watched all that going “ah yes they are functioning like every large food corporation in America.” Obviously this isn’t a fault with the game but I’m taking a class on dangerous workplaces and “working people until they collapse” is still not quite “25 people died in a fire because they felt pressure to skirt fire safety rules from bosses who didn’t have an escape plan and required doors to be locked to ‘keep flies out’”

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Who is this Haru person? She sounds irrelevant.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Haru was the only party member I liked in my one run of original P5. I would have gladly romanced her but she' joins so goddamned late that I'm sure most people already had a romance with somebody else by that point. I know I did.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Why does Haru talk like that? She has a unique accent and I could never tell if it was supposed to be a “this person fancy” affectation or something else. I wondered that about Kasumi at first but the first time I saw her in the Metaverse and she talked more naturally I figured out that it was just her trying to play the part

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in the original jp haru speaks more politely/demurely than the other characters to get across shes a rich kinda sheltered girl. the persona 5 translation isnt very good. thats about it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

in the original jp haru speaks more politely/demurely than the other characters to get across shes a rich kinda sheltered girl. the persona 5 translation isnt very good. thats about it.

And to contrast the fact she's definitely the most bloodthirsty and violent member of the thieves.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only thing I know about Strikers is that one of the new characters is a cop and Haru gives him poo poo about it which is great.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Something else you should know about Strikers

Ryuji says gently caress

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

The only thing I know about Strikers is that one of the new characters is a cop and Haru gives him poo poo about it which is great.

A mixture of that and terrifying him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Haru is very clear, the Phantom Thieves think all cops are bastards. (Makoto still probably wants to be one, so maybe it's just Rich Haru who is happy to hate the cops because they cannot touch her).

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excellent. I will now look forward to Strikers after Monster Hunter Rise and Bravely Default 2 are done.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

Haru was the only party member I liked in my one run of original P5. I would have gladly romanced her but she' joins so goddamned late that I'm sure most people already had a romance with somebody else by that point. I know I did.

I think Haru instantly became my favourite because she awakened into a GIANT AXE and a ROCKET LAUNCHER

Then of course you go into Mementos and she's like "hey guys anyone else get a thrill out of all this murder? no? just me?"

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish I liked Strikers but I just fell off it after just like two hours. Combat is flashy but the actual fights are over so fast that it doesn't feel satisfying to do anything. Would have preferred a standard musou format I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gen. Ripper posted:

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah the way they sat around the table discussing how they got tricked into going after Okumura and bemoaning that they were acting for the wrong reasons felt really mean to Haru, whose life would have been immeasurably worse had they not stopped him.

That scene feels sorta confused to me, especially because until that scene, it seems like the Phantom Thieves were on the right track: they were careless and got set up and were angry at themselves for letting that happen. And then in that scene it's sort of ambiguous (having just rewatched it) what it is they're upset about. Are they upset that they went after Okumura in the first place? Are they upset that they rushed it and went off half-cocked and that made it easier for them to be set up? Ryuji does remind Haru in that scene that if they hadn't gone after Okumura, she would've been married off to a monster, and there's no way they could just sit there and let that happen.

I don't think the intention is to imply that the Phantom Thieves were wrong to go after Okumura, only that they were too gung-ho about it and rushed in without doing their due diligence and that let them get set up. That's pretty wishy-washy, though (like what would they have done differently? probably nothing), but I think that's what the scene is going for and failing to reach.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Haru also drives an RV like she's in a 70s trucker movie, which explains a weird part of the "Morgana is a loving rear end in a top hat" arc of P5.

Haru is desperate to kill someone. Anyone.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, just ate poo poo several times now on Okumura. Now, I like to think that I am not one to rage quit a game and read the rest on a LP. (Christ, how much worst was the vanilla version that this was an improvement!?)

But I have to admit, it’s pretty drat tempting at this point.

Seriously though, whoever is targeted usually doesn’t survive the onslaught, and guard is one unlucky crit away from being worthless. Maybe I should reevaluate my skills on my personas, get some masukukajas and marakukajas going

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
the Royal version of that boss is significantly worse than the original P5 version of the fight. I have no idea what they were thinking. I was stuck on it for ages too, even though I blew through the rest of the game with no difficulty on hard mode

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

hughesta posted:

the Royal version of that boss is significantly worse than the original P5 version of the fight. I have no idea what they were thinking. I was stuck on it for ages too, even though I blew through the rest of the game with no difficulty on hard mode

I actually really liked the change to the boss... but only after figuring out how to beat it. It's a really good example of how amazing the new baton pass is, to the point I think one of the earlier bosses would have been a better choice to have that mechanic, to teach you early how to use and abuse it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

At least the Royal version is something, even if it's stupid. I still occasionally forget what the base game version even does.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am level 42 currently; maybe I should go back and grind mementos a bit?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hellioning posted:

At least the Royal version is something, even if it's stupid. I still occasionally forget what the base game version even does.

It's almost the same fight but instead of being set up for long baton passes (which are amazing in Royal) it has mixed combos of robots and you just have to kill them all.

lunar detritus posted:

I actually really liked the change to the boss... but only after figuring out how to beat it. It's a really good example of how amazing the new baton pass is, to the point I think one of the earlier bosses would have been a better choice to have that mechanic, to teach you early how to use and abuse it.

Madarame is designed for baton pass shenanigans too (baton pass through his clones, slap him with Yusuke's big physical attacks).

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hughesta posted:

The Royal version of the boss is significantly harder because it's about the only place where they increased the difficulty of the game over base P5 to account for the better baton pass mechanics. You really want to be scoring sweeps on every round - and feel free to drop this battle to easy as it's the hardest fight in the game.

You want your team to have both Morgana and Haru in it and then either Makoto or Ryuji. Items for fire, psychic, and either electrical or nuke base attacks on these three so they each cover two elements are also great - this should allow you to sweep (a full team baton pass) against every enemy type every round assuming Joker has some varied personas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, just ate poo poo several times now on Okumura. Now, I like to think that I am not one to rage quit a game and read the rest on a LP. (Christ, how much worst was the vanilla version that this was an improvement!?)

But I have to admit, it’s pretty drat tempting at this point.

Seriously though, whoever is targeted usually doesn’t survive the onslaught, and guard is one unlucky crit away from being worthless. Maybe I should reevaluate my skills on my personas, get some masukukajas and marakukajas going

Turn it up to Merciless. Not kidding. Merciless makes attacks that hit weaknesses do massively higher damage and makes it much easier to clear out the robots with a Baton Pass or two.

When the big robot comes out, don't cure the Hunger status effect.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

neonchameleon posted:

The Royal version of the boss is significantly harder because it's about the only place where they increased the difficulty of the game over base P5 to account for the better baton pass mechanics. You really want to be scoring sweeps on every round - and feel free to drop this battle to easy as it's the hardest fight in the game.

You want your team to have both Morgana and Haru in it and then either Makoto or Ryuji. Items for fire, psychic, and either electrical or nuke base attacks on these three so they each cover two elements are also great - this should allow you to sweep (a full team baton pass) against every enemy type every round assuming Joker has some varied personas.

Alternatively increase the difficulty to Merciless because Merciless increases the damage you get for hitting weaknesses (by a lot) but does not increase enemy health.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks but I managed to beat him just now. All hail the power of the venting complaint. Thank you all for your tips though

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyway now to get prepared for the post palace events because from what I am guessing and gathering here, its going to be a hard watch and I like these idiots :(

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you not craft elemental/forces sets in p5r, or did I just miss seeing them? At Okumura's and I could've sworn I should be able to by now.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
A rumor, but still...

https://twitter.com/IdleSloth84/status/1373050068723507204?s=20

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Where's the smtv news

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This has been false so many times that I'm not about to even vaguely believe it. It'd be cool if it finally happened though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Game Pass is stretching credibility just a bit there.