Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Disco Elysium The Final Cut is out in 11 days :banjo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Stanley Pain posted:

No, not at all. But you can continue to think that if it makes you feel better. Factory farming is still the greater polluter of the two. But like I said, as far as CO2 production goes the two are equally as bad. I didn't think single one off GPU mining as as bad as it is.

You came in here asking for absolution and you're not finding it because the folks you're talking to have slightly more developed moral compasses than your whiny comparative utilitarianism, so you're throwing a little tantrum and telling people to kill themselves.

EorayMel posted:

Disco Elysium The Final Cut is out in 11 days :banjo:

Not in Australia lol

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
If you willingly mine just admit you are a huge piece of garbage and that you only mine for personal gain and don't care about contributing to/enabling other people's suffering. At least I can respect you for being honest.

I can imagine someone mining and not knowing the impact of it since its a lot of the most sheltered people in the world who would be interested in it but if you know and keep it up just lol.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

He already said he stopped mining

Just take the W

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Jose Valasquez posted:

He already said he stopped mining

Just take the W

I can't read, sorry. I apologize for all former bitcoin miners, I am glad you have stopped. Please read the "you" in my previous post as a general you not a specific you.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

You came in here asking for absolution

Come again?

I came in to have a conversation about something. Which I got. Not sure what else to say about that.

edit:

Somfin posted:

so you're throwing a little tantrum and telling people to kill themselves.

Sorry this bothered me too. I think you might have misunderstood my intentions.

The poster I was replying to I was replying in jest because I took their post to be facetious. If it wasn't meant to be then I read it wrong.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/mattleising/status/1373031185631256577

https://cftc.gov/PressRoom/PressReleases/8369-21

Weird indeed! I’m sure this was a one-time thing that only happened at Coinbase and everyone’s volume statistics are rock solid reliable now

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Stanley Pain posted:

The poster I was replying to I was replying in jest because I took their post to be facetious. If it wasn't meant to be then I read it wrong.

It wasn't facetious. The biggest thing we can do to lower carbon emissions is not have kids. Other than dying, of course. You speak like you know so much about this stuff but you don't know this? It's constantly parroted around.

But that's okay. We all know you are a hypocrite.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

It wasn't facetious. The biggest thing we can do to lower carbon emissions is not have kids. Other than dying, of course. You speak like you know so much about this stuff but you don't know this? It's constantly parroted around.

But that's okay. We all know you are a hypocrite.

No the death part. I took it a bit as tongue in cheek humour and replied in kind.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

No the death part. I took it a bit as tongue in cheek humour and replied in kind.

Yeah it was pretty obviously tongue in cheek. Come on guys.

Edit: "it" being your response

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 20, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Not defending it at all. Re-read my first posts. But I'll spell it out again here for the sake of being as clear as I can.

Large scale crypto mining is absolutely a problem from an environmental perspective.

Dumb fucks like me mining a few hours a day are not. People crying about dumb fucks like me mining while not doing anything else to better the environment are hypocritical at best. GPU mining in someone's spare time is a drop of water in the ocean by comparison.

"My personal habits couldn't possibly make an impact on anything" *fills humvee with leaded gasoline*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spunkshui posted:

Every mining GPU helps the transfer of money that makes it easier for crimes to be profitable.

You’re basically being bribed to be a money mule for illegal organizations.

If you’re OK with that then keep doing it but I think it’s a loving scumbag move personally.

And not even being paid much lol it's like being offered a six pack of beer to launder a heroin deal

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
christ there's two of them

anyway i wrote up NFTs for the attention of Very Serious People i hope you're grateful

apparently a pile of people at FP wanted to know what the arsing gently caress these things were so it got grabbed by the weekend editor so it came out a few hours ago

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

divabot posted:

anyway i wrote up NFTs for the attention of Very Serious People i hope you're grateful

apparently a pile of people at FP wanted to know what the arsing gently caress these things were so it got grabbed by the weekend editor so it came out a few hours ago
Nice article. What was the reaction? "That sounds too stupid to be real. Are you sure you're describing this right?"

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

divabot posted:

Inedible != indelible

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Inedible != indelible

that was added by the editor. (it's always fun when a good line people like turns out to be something the editor added.) I do need to start saying "inedible ink" though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stanley Pain posted:

Here's a fun game everyone in this thread will enjoy.

https://www.gog.com/game/crypto_against_all_odds

:shobon:

quote:

You are a blockchain security expert doing bounties jobs in the early days of Bitcoin. When hacking activities begin to surge, you sense a looming threat trying to bring down the entire crypto space. As you interact with other forum users, read terminal chats and message board, you slowly piece together a big conspiracy. At the same time, the people behind it arez also on to your true identity, something you have been trying to keep as a secret.
The gently caress is this, Sim YOSPOS?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

xtal posted:

Nocoiners disguising their bootlicking fetish as environmentalism is quite approximate to anti lockdown people appropriating mental health concerns

"nocoiners"

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Yeah, a neat little word for the loving losers with old regdates who were all LOLing at the Bitcoin thread on this forum a decade ago. back when you could have mined some with the computing power of a gameboy color, but instead we spent the night waiting for Bruce Wagner's phone to vibrate off a chair. I'm glad I have that memory instead of several million dollars.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Horace posted:

Yeah, a neat little word for the loving losers with old regdates who were all LOLing at the Bitcoin thread on this forum a decade ago. back when you could have mined some with the computing power of a gameboy color, but instead we spent the night waiting for Bruce Wagner's phone to vibrate off a chair. I'm glad I have that memory instead of several million dollars.

Id rather have my current wealth then directly help with human trafficking and be wealthy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Horace posted:

:ok:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If everyone mined coins 10 years ago, there'd be no more coins left to mine today. Makes you think.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

And those miners were Albert Einstein. An eagle named "Gold Standard" circled the room and Atlas Shrugged was read several times.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Horace posted:

Nah, we didn't do any of that. We did keep you from developing a broad-spectrum antiviral treatment AND room temperature nuclear fusion energy, though. By posting.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Horace posted:

Lol keep dreaming the dream were you got scammed out of your savings.

Maybe you will be at the top of the next pyramid scheme?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Horace posted:

lol, those 'millions of dollars' have to come from other rubes or haven't you been paying attention?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, those 'millions of dollars' have to come from other rubes or haven't you been paying attention?
Honestly, if goons HAD gone big on bitcoin, there would have probably been all this crypto poo poo happening around Litecoin or something, because internet nerds of that period were either goons or loving pissed off at goons. So they'd have stayed away in droves to spite Something Awful dot Com.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Horace posted:

Buttcoin.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, the motivating factor is money from nothing. Cryptocurrency is a solution in search of a problem. Unless your problem is crime, and then I guess it is something of a solution.

It's not even a novel solution to crime. Before crypto, they were laundering money via steam transactions, and gift card laundering is still rampant.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

It's not even a novel solution to crime. Before crypto, they were laundering money via steam transactions, and gift card laundering is still rampant.

True, but crypto has really filled in the gap for ransomware and a few other things.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Horace posted:

Hindsight's 20-20. There were tons of other lovely investment opportunities with the potential for massive payoffs but a much larger chance of losing money. Given everything that was known about bitcoin back then, investing was definitely negative expected value, it just happened to be the gamble that paid off. Doesn't mean that investing wasn't a bad idea.

Think about it this way: do you judge yourself every time somebody wins a jackpot in Vegas, thinking "I should have been sitting at that table when those cards got dealt"? It's the same thing: statistically, bitcoin was (and still is!) a terrible investment, and just because it keeps winning the coin tosses doesn't mean you should have invested.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Horace posted:

I remember most of the goon posters were actually mining some bitcoins but then selling them when they were like $1 or whatever. In the CPU mining days there wasn't really anything nefarious going on yet, it was just a funny tech thing and it was legit hard to actually use them for anything

Take solace in the fact that most of the bitcoins mined on CPUs wound up getting stolen or got lost forever, exit scams were so common back then that it became hard to keep track of them and plenty of people have fessed up to forgetting the password to their old wallet

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Horace posted:

If I had known the lottery numbers ahead of time, I would have won too

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

tango alpha delta posted:

I'll gladly take a few million from Elon Musk and MicroStrategy, thanks.

Somfin posted:

If I had known the lottery numbers ahead of time, I would have won too

Well considering there's been a " lol at the lottery winning lottery numbers" thread on these forums for the past 10 years and the lottery numbers keep on winning, you kind of did know.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

Well considering there's been a " lol at the lottery winning lottery numbers" thread on these forums for the past 10 years and the lottery numbers keep on winning, you kind of did know.

It is truly impressive how many concepts you are unclear on.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

salt shakeup posted:

lol, what part of 'bitcoin is a decentralized Ponzi scheme' are you unclear on?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

salt shakeup posted:

How quickly we forget all the times that /r/bitcoin felt compelled to sticky a suicide hotline thread

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

salt shakeup posted:

When did you buy in?

HermanCain
Aug 2, 2013

salt shakeup posted:

Everone, I don't get it! I've heard that robbing people at gunpoint is super profitable, so why didn't you all start doing it 10 years ago?
It nets you money you know, so there's money you can have!

Oh there's just been an 10 page long discussion about how it's unethical? And the whole thread has countless examples of people not getting rich cause they went to jail? Well if you just started robbing people 10 years ago then you could've been rich by now so I don't see how that's relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Karia posted:

Hindsight's 20-20. There were tons of other lovely investment opportunities with the potential for massive payoffs but a much larger chance of losing money. Given everything that was known about bitcoin back then, investing was definitely negative expected value, it just happened to be the gamble that paid off. Doesn't mean that investing wasn't a bad idea.

Think about it this way: do you judge yourself every time somebody wins a jackpot in Vegas, thinking "I should have been sitting at that table when those cards got dealt"? It's the same thing: statistically, bitcoin was (and still is!) a terrible investment, and just because it keeps winning the coin tosses doesn't mean you should have invested.

But early Bitcoin wasn't an investment, it was a lottery, and the tickets were practically free. Each of us here could have had 20+ Bitcoin without having to triple dad's electricity bill or give ourselves brain damage seeping in a room with 50 GPUs running.

QuarkJets posted:

I remember most of the goon posters were actually mining some bitcoins but then selling them when they were like $1 or whatever. In the CPU mining days there wasn't really anything nefarious going on yet, it was just a funny tech thing and it was legit hard to actually use them for anything

Take solace in the fact that most of the bitcoins mined on CPUs wound up getting stolen or got lost forever, exit scams were so common back then that it became hard to keep track of them and plenty of people have fessed up to forgetting the password to their old wallet

...and yes, if I'd grabbed a few cheap bitcoin I'd have either lost them in an exchange scam/collapse, lost the wallet or sold them at $1.50 and acted like king poo poo of investments until the price went up.

But the guys who did the above are still smarter than us, because however loving dumb Bitcoin is (and it really is) having been there at the start and having made gently caress all from it is STUPID and you can feel that regret bleeding through in a lot of posts in this thread.

Horace fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 20, 2021