Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure Ross Ulbricht is in perma jail for making basically that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

xtal posted:

Dear pearl clutchers: What is your opinion on this post about people who buy NFTs?

people who buy NFTs should be locked in a room with you, forever.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

xtal posted:

Dear pearl clutchers: What is your opinion on this post about people who buy NFTs?

:ironicat:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

Please point specifically to where these actually say "an individual choosing to cut out meat is more impactful than an individual turning off their mining rig", because I can't find where they say that, and I think they probably don't say that because it's bullshit. Quit playing this dumb game where you argue for individual actions but when pressed on it you pull back out and look only at things in the aggregate rather than per capita.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/114876006/meat-eaters-vegetarians-vegans-how-much-does-diet-impact-the-environment

Just dropping red meat can net a 42% reduction in GHG emissions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

xtal posted:

The use of pearl clutchers implies that we might have a vaguely positive opinion of NFTs, and if that was genuinely your intent then holy poo poo.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I’m gonna continue to point out that if you mine crypto you’re helping criminals move currency around.

I mean if you’re OK with supporting human trafficking then by all means keep mining.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a person not eating meat for a month could save up to 60 bucks and 600 pounds of carbon emissions

If that person spent that 60 bucks on .001 bitcoin, that fraction of a butt would represent 540 pounds of carbon emissions, practically erasing their gain.

if you're lucky enough to own one single bitcoin, well that represents 270 tons of carbon that wouldn't be in the air otherwise, which represents about a year and a half of an inefficient, American lifestyle.

to offset the carbon from a single bitcoin, you would have to be a vegetarian for 450 years.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Let's say Bitcoin was the currency of America. You earn a bitcoin a year, at current rates. Pretty decent living, nothing to write home about but you're doing ok.

You're careful about your carbon footprint, so you only produce let's say 18,000 pounds of carbon a year as opposed to the 32k American average.

To pay you your salary, the Bitcoin network had to dump 540,000 pounds of carbon into the air. It has to do that every year, forever.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

*per-capita diet-related GHG emissions

taps sign

Blotto_Otter posted:

Please point specifically to where these actually say "an individual choosing to cut out meat is more impactful than an individual turning off their mining rig", because I can't find where they say that, and I think they probably don't say that because it's bullshit. Quit playing this dumb game where you argue for individual actions but when pressed on it you pull back out and look only at things in the aggregate rather than per capita.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The use of pearl clutchers implies that we might have a vaguely positive opinion of NFTs, and if that was genuinely your intent then holy poo poo.

It was more about the calls for violence.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

If only the entire world will change, oh well, I'll continue rolling coal because someone on the internet is eating meat.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Stanley Pain posted:

There are much better and more efficient ways of feeding the population of the world. Especially once you remove meat from the equation. Current farming practices are far beyond sustainable.

Are you using your bitcoins to fund terrorists to burn down meat factories?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

*per-capita diet-related GHG emissions

taps sign

It's almost 1/2

Now I just did the math for a 7.2kw/h power draw (300w x24 hours) which nets about 1.7 kg/CO2e which is surprising to me. So I'll :tipshat: on out of here.

Please try to eat less red meat none the less. :shobon:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stanley Pain posted:

Now I just did the math for a 7.2kw/h power draw (300w x24 hours) which nets about 1.7 kg/CO2e which is surprising to me. So I'll :tipshat: on out of here.

Please try to eat less red meat none the less. :shobon:

thank you for finally doing the math, but next time the thread is doing the math for you and rubbing your nose in it, please don't ignore it and post as if that's not happening.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

thank you for finally doing the math, but next time the thread is doing the math for you and rubbing your nose in it, please don't ignore it and post as if that's not happening.

Like I said earlier, this is only looking at CO2 emissions. Factor in Methane, Nitrous Oxide, etc and it changes the picture a lot. For the sake of this argument IF only looking at CO2 emissions butts and beef are equivalent polluters.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stanley Pain posted:

Like I said earlier, this is only looking at CO2 emissions. Factor in Methane, Nitrous Oxide, etc and it changes the picture a lot.

okay cool, do the loving math then please. you already had to walk back one claim you pulled out of nowhere, let's see if these new ones stack up!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Hey I actually do grow and hunt for as much as my own food as possible, so you have to turn off your computer now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't eat beef but I raise cattle to sell to meat packing plants.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
What do you eat, Stanley?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Stanley, there are parts of the world where going vegetarian isn't feasible and where the land isn't suitable for crops but can support cattle and goats. People need calories.

Terraforming the land to support crops is usually ecologically disastrous. No, I don't expect you to have every answer and I know we're all oversimplifying things that are too complex.

Like I said earlier the only loving way to save the land and ensure it isn't totaled to make room for palm oil plantations (this is currently the #1 reason for clearing rainforests, not le boeuf at this time) is to purchase it from the owners and preserve it.

bitcoin is stupid

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 19, 2021

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I view the entire world like a giant spreadsheet to be optimized.

Or if you are a Gamer, a Civ map

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can we buy the land with bitcoin? Then just burn down the server farms and kill two birds with one stone.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/redsunO21/status/1372625942468788226

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tony Hawk being all about making more money doesn't seem surprising in the least.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay cool, do the loving math then please. you already had to walk back one claim you pulled out of nowhere, let's see if these new ones stack up!

So you don't think methane and nitrous oxide are worrisome greenhouse gases? They are 23 and 300 times more potent greenhouse gases than CO2 and they've risen significantly over the years.

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...m-livestock.pdf

Can't find per capita numbers, but here's some quick math. The aggregate numbers follow the same percentage splits as the per capita numbers.

GHG emissions (old numbers but what I can find for now).

CO_2 | 6.089 billion tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year)
HFCs | 140.1 million tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year)
CH_4 | 527.7 million tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year)
N_2O | 461.3 million tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year)
PFCs | 6.107 million tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year)
SF_6 | 16.83 million tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year)
total | 7.241 billion tCO_2e/year (metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent per year) (2005 estimate)

Factory farming is roughly 40-50% of the CH4 and N2O emissions.

https://www.humanesociety.org/sites...agriculture.pdf

Seeing that CH4 acts about 20x better at being a GHG compared to CO2 and N2O being about 200x that of CO2, it's fair to make the statement I made. I'm on mobile so I'm not sure how some of this will look.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stanley Pain posted:

So you don't think methane and nitrous oxide are worrisome greenhouse gases?

when did anyone ever say such a thing?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
look, just admit you don't care about the environment that much and is just looking out for numero uno. why should a captain of the industry like yourself care what a bunch of nocoiners say anyway?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

look, just admit you don't care about the environment that much and is just looking out for numero uno. why should a captain of the industry like yourself care what a bunch of nocoiners say anyway?

:lol::lol:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I mean, it's really clear that "caring for the environment," to you, stops at being slightly better than the person next to you. Otherwise you wouldn't be burning electricity to make money in one of the least efficient ways possible.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

I mean, it's really clear that "caring for the environment," to you, stops at being slightly better than the person next to you. Otherwise you wouldn't be burning electricity to make money in one of the least efficient ways possible.

Pretty sure I already acknowledged that as far as CO2 is concerned butts and meat are equally bad.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

Pretty sure I already acknowledged that as far as CO2 is concerned butts and meat are equally bad.

Then stop both.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Starting a feedlot operation on virgin old-growth forest land to own the nobeefers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah, which means that your only real concern is being sliiiiightly better than the person next to you. You don't actually care or you'd be trying to get your footprint even lower rather than trying to claim that it's now okay for you to waste just as much as everyone else via a different method.

"Hey, everybody, is it okay if I open up a tank of methane for funsies? I recycle."

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I have.

Somfin posted:

Yeah, which means that your only real concern is being sliiiiightly better than the person next to you. You don't actually care or you'd be trying to get your footprint even lower rather than trying to claim that it's now okay for you to waste just as much as everyone else via a different method.

"Hey, everybody, is it okay if I open up a tank of methane for funsies? I recycle."

No, not at all. But you can continue to think that if it makes you feel better. Factory farming is still the greater polluter of the two. But like I said, as far as CO2 production goes the two are equally as bad. I didn't think single one off GPU mining as as bad as it is.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

But one of them makes it easier to transfer illegal money and profit off of human slavery.

The other is food.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

I have.

No, not at all. But you can continue to think that if it makes you feel better. Factory farming is still the greater polluter of the two. But like I said, as far as CO2 production goes the two are equally as bad. I didn't think single one off GPU mining as as bad as it is.

Every mining GPU helps the transfer of money that makes it easier for crimes to be profitable.

You’re basically being bribed to be a money mule for illegal organizations.

If you’re OK with that then keep doing it but I think it’s a loving scumbag move personally.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
coiner already admitted several pages back to cashing out the butts he could still sign by buying and selling a bunch of drugs, which people almost definitely died for during production and sale at the amount described, so lol at trying to re-magnetize his moral compass

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a fun game everyone in this thread will enjoy.

https://www.gog.com/game/crypto_against_all_odds

:shobon:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

kw0134 posted:

Saying that is like saying you brought an indulgence from the church and now you're allowed to go rob people.
rob the pardoner who sold you the indulgence ayyyy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Arguing with cryptocultists about environmental impact is akin to arguing with Young Earth Creationists about radiocarbon dating. You're never going to win, and even if you do they will move the goalposts so you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cryptofascists