Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Nostradingus posted:

I always liked Mario faceplanting into bed in Mario RPG

this seems like the opposite of a pet peeve but I would read a whole thread of whatever this is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Imp Zone just can't help but steer the conversation towards loving games. and god bless the IZ for it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gaming FTW

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bolverkur posted:

Imp Zone just can't help but steer the conversation towards loving games. and god bless the IZ for it.

i love the games all the more for the peeves

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the starting overworld in terranigma is cool because yojure on the inside of the planet so it's curved the opposite way with mode 7 than most overworlds. then later you go to the surface and i lost interest

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

b_d posted:

the starting overworld in terranigma is cool because yojure on the inside of the planet so it's curved the opposite way with mode 7 than most overworlds. then later you go to the surface and i lost interest

thats a shame, i recommend giving it another go. the first two overworld dungeons are kind of greybrown but they are over quickly and it gets really good after that, it's just such an imaginative game

i kind of suspect the guys who made la mulana took a lot of inspiration from that game and illusion of gaia especially, just the whole mood and setting is so similar, the final boss in la mulana even looks a bit like the illusion of gaia one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

b_d posted:

I recently played and beat terranigma and I was kind of amazed with how much I didn't really like it. I loved soul blazer and illusion of Gaia is a top five game of all time for me. I don't know what it is. I think it was too convoluted. So many times when I was using a guide on where to go it was something so ridiculous it made me roll my eyes. Like "after you get to Eurasia then go all the way back to this one patch of grass in south America, the chest with the key is now opened" or something like that

The graphics and music and story were really good though. I loved the towns the most. Towns were always so epic in Quintet games

Bicyclops posted:

secret of mana is a beloved hit and i still think it's underrated

I am someone who loves secret of mana but admit it could be nostalgia because when you're 12 everything is epic, and all recent reviews I find from people on YouTube seem to despise the game. but I played it three players a year or two ago with my brother and a mutual friend who never played it and the friend loved it so idk

I actually love the jank in the game, and the terrible hit detection. It just becomes part of the challenge of the game and you adapt, knowing that there's only this sole pixel on Tropicallo head that will register a hit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got a couple of hours into Secret of Mana and didn't like it at all, beautiful art and music of course. Are the other Mana games worth a look? SD3 sounds interesting at least

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018

couple of gamer pet peeves potsing in this thread as we loving speak.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's fun to ride a pipe.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got a couple of hours into Secret of Mana and didn't like it at all, beautiful art and music of course. Are the other Mana games worth a look? SD3 sounds interesting at least

i really liked sd3. it's still got some of the som problems like with spell animations and stuff but it feels way way better to play

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The 3d remake of sd3 is great so long as you can embrace the cheese of 90s style voice acting and character design. Super fun to play.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

when you can't figure out what you need to do in an area to advance the story and it turns out what you had to do was leave the area to trigger a cutscene

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

games that don’t let you jump on to/off of ladders

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bouillon Rube posted:

games that don’t let you jump on to/off of ladders

Not being able to slide down the ladders.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

Not being able to slide down the ladders.

In dark souls if you tap O you slide down the ladder but you need to hold it in 2 because if you just tap it he falls off the ladder lol

Also not being able to go up a ladder faster by holding the run key

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
The best ladder action is in CSGO where you can still do a diagonal strafe into the ladder and go up like 1.5x as fast

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://youtu.be/HPjJCVylFBo

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lmao that rules

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Lol

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Rpgs where you "miss" an enemy instead of hitting a different one if it dies before the next turn

i am reminded now that Mother does this. bleh

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Nes mother is a turd

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
im playing this hack which streamlines the exp gain/encounter rate a bit among other consmetic stuff. its ok

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN

mysterious loyall X posted:

Secret if mamas combat sucks rear end and your stupid prick party memebers dont move until their humping the edge of the screen.

You can set the AI to move more aggressively.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
I mean actually scrolling the screen. hosed up

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Getting stuck on level geometry

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Sports game where the pitch is half sunny, half shadey. gently caress realism, I'd like to see the ball please.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

Does that still happen with modern games? Early 2000’s were the worst for this, BF1942 in particular cones to mind. You would just get stuck constantly trying to climb like 15-degree grades

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Games that give you a slider to set the contrast/brightness when you first start them, and it’s like “move the slider until the logo is barely visible” or whatever

Like first of all, “barely visible” is totally subjective. Also going by some abstract logo gives you no indication whatsoever of how the game would actually look

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

Games that give you a slider to set the contrast/brightness when you first start them, and it’s like “move the slider until the logo is barely visible” or whatever

Like first of all, “barely visible” is totally subjective. Also going by some abstract logo gives you no indication whatsoever of how the game would actually look

perhaps you should adjust your monitor by turning it on

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Julius CSAR posted:

I feel bob omb battlefield and whomps fortress in mario 64 had a few slopes that were designed to be just steep enough that you could almost get to the top before mario would slide all the way to the bottom, and i wasted so much time trying to make a "shortcut" work.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

you go until it's invisible and then turn it up until you start to see it, if you still find it a little too dark later you can crank it up a notch or 2, it's not complicated...

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i always find it too dark following those instructions. i think their idea of barely visible is looser than mine

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Stealth kill canned animations that shouldn’t be stealthy at all. The one that immediately comes to mind is in The New Colossus, where one of the stealth kills is a several seconds-long animation of swinging a big axe to chop both an enemy’s legs off at the knees, then stabbing them on the ground to kill them, with the enemy accepting all this stoically without making a single noise.

Canned animations in general, really.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

i HATE it in metroid prime during the last boss fight when samus jumps down a hole with the exact same animation and camera angle like 5 times

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stealth kill canned animations that shouldn’t be stealthy at all. The one that immediately comes to mind is in The New Colossus, where one of the stealth kills is a several seconds-long animation of swinging a big axe to chop both an enemy’s legs off at the knees, then stabbing them on the ground to kill them, with the enemy accepting all this stoically without making a single noise.

Counterpoint, those rule.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

b_d posted:

i always find it too dark following those instructions. i think their idea of barely visible is looser than mine

i always run it a bit brighter but i thinks its years of playing fullbright, picmip, force model keel, poo poo breaking my brain

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

b_d posted:

Barely visible to them is just regularly visible i think. Also playing any games on a 4K are a few years old especially from like early ps3 or ps2 I need to max out brightness and often still can’t see the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

depends on the game, all of the canned animations in yakuza rule