Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Just finished it. The movie was okay. Not bad, but not good.

Some scenes were "meh", but the majority of the action parts were good. I think that epilogue was TOO long. Oh, I still hate Jared Leto's Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Yeah one of the big headscratchers for me is how the hell the super advanced galaxy traveling word destroyers don't apparently keep a log of where the hell they go and have no idea where the hell the one world is that they got their asses handed to them.

AND LEFT THEIR ONLY loving MACGUFFINS RIGHT THERE. :psypop:

Darkseid bleeding out: "Dessaad, wipe this planet from our data banks. This encounter NEVER HAPPENED."

Dessaad: "Duuuuuuuuhhhh okay boss!!! But what of the Mother Boxes we left behind???? Should we not put a post it note and log these coordinates so we can come back and get them???"

: Darkseid smacks him upside the head and walks away:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, my god, Jared Leto really didn’t say “We live in a society” in the movie. They brought him back to badly ape Jim Carey and say a meme for a trailer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phylodox posted:

Oh, my god, Jared Leto really didn’t say “We live in a society” in the movie. They brought him back to badly ape Jim Carey and say a meme for a trailer.

It worked didn’t it?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

It worked didn’t it?

If you think anyone saw Justice League because of that you’re deluding yourself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Anyone have any ideas why Superman wore black at the end? My guess is that he put it on because it was Jor-El's suit, as in MoS the scenes at the start he is wearing black under his armor.

That or Superman is just all goth now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ok, I was curious enough to drop $15 for one month of HBO Max. Haven't gotten to starting ZSJL yet, just poking around the site, and what the gently caress is their selection. Critters 2 and 4? The gently caress? You can't leave out 3!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Anyone have any ideas why Superman wore black at the end? My guess is that he put it on because it was Jor-El's suit, as in MoS the scenes at the start he is wearing black under his armor.

It’s his iconic post-death suit. I hate it though, I’ve always thought putting Superman in dark colors defeats the purpose of him being a loud bright beacon of hope. It works for the original comic, but having it in this version right after we have a monologue from both his fathers about giving people a symbol to look up to is kinda strange. It also looks bad in that lineup at the end because all of their suits have been desaturated and he’s standing next to Bats, the king of dark brooding grey/black suits.

At least give the suit more silver accents like the comic counterpart so it’s not just a solid block of monotone color.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 20, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/thebatskeptic/status/1373029592718471168?s=21

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah you're on the right thought with this one I think.

The black suits we're what they wore underneath the armor, you can see that when Zod tears his armor off in MoS. From what's been shared about what the arc for Clark was supposed to be for the JL movies was that he's resurrected but is relating to his kryptonian heritage moreso then his human upbringing and that by the end of the arc it would be him returning to being a symbol for humanity instead of krypton.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yep! Zack said this:

“The black suit, you can say that in modern Krypton, when he left, everyone was wearing black suits,” he told I Minutemen. “So it is sort of linked to, in some ways, the old world. I think is a more direct relationship to his family.”

“In a lot of ways, the blue suit, to me, represents his kind of place on Earth,” he continued. “The blue suit is his suit of a hero, the suit of his destiny, whereas the black suit is more personal in a lot of ways, more about his family. One is outward, and one is inward.”

He's not doing things for the sake of being "grimdark" (can we please stop using this, its lazy).

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Finished it, ultimately it’s better but still not very good. Steppenwolf and the modern Darkseid stuff are the biggest improvements, as well as Cyborg’s little arc from self-loathing to hero, even though it required yet another DCEU dad to die for him to get there. The knightmare scene was tonally jarring and awful, I could see a teen boy typing out that fanfic muttering “that’s badass” to himself. The action sequences were mostly good, but getting there was a slog. After four hours of washed out browns and blacks I’m in desperate need of some primary colors. I’m glad Snyder got to flesh out his vision, or make something close to it, but I hope to never see him touch a DC property again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh wow I was right about a guess. Yea I knew that was from the comics, but speculated why it was in the movie.

Also the biggest weakness of JL cannot be fixed, Steppenwolf is a lame villain. In a better movie he'd just be the heavy that like Wonder Woman has to fight just before the final fight, like Black Dwarf is in Infinity War.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I loved Steppenwolf in this version. Felt properly intimidating, and if they were struggling to beat this guy until Superman shows, it does a great establishing how much bigger of a threat Darkseid must be compared to him, and I felt a lore more sympathetic towards this guy than Thanos or Killmonger's "evil black revolutionary"

I wish we could see the rest of Apokolips fleshed out in sequels, but I doubt that will happen.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

All the sequels just keep sending increasingly minor Apokoliptians. Virman Vundabar, Mantis, Knockout, maybe in the reverse of that order, I dunno.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

You realize the distinction of everyone having different styles of constructs was an invention of Geoff Johns right

Before then you could really only argue Kyle had a different style and there was no real distinction between the other three

Uh, what?

No, it absolutely was not. John having a different style was presented super early on. I remember it coming up in the "he was Hal's backup" stuff at earliest. Guy was the dude who did things like create glowing green women to pour him beer and absolutely didn't do stuff the same way as anyone else.. Kyle being a comic book artist *and making his art into reality* was literally the entire concept of the character.

Geoff Johns doesn't get to retcon himself as the creator of basic loving character concepts that existed before he started writing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 20, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

The theatrical cut must be unwatchable, cause that was not good.

Half the time it looked like that awful Warcraft movie the cgi was so bad in places. Gal Gadot, bless her heart, she’s trying but she’s just not a good actress. I’m assuming she’s supposed to look focused/determined in the bomb scene but she ends up looking confused through most of it.

Also why did the bomb need 1 minute? Nothing happens in that minute, they weren’t waiting for anything, they weren’t negotiating. If they were just going to blow themselves up anyway why bother with an extra minute?

Darkseid got merced by a guy Diana kicked the poo poo out of, and Superman basically made her look like a child so good luck getting your head punched off immediately when you invade dude.

My phone can track where I’ve been better than a super advanced spacefaring armada. You just up and forgot the only place that’s ever beaten your army, nearly killed you, and also holds the thing you’ve been trying to get for thousands of years?

There are other nitpicks but I don’t care to make this any more of an effort post.

A talking coyote fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 20, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished part 2. I liked the big ancient battle scene, but then again I liked it in the theatrical version too. The amazons in part 1 felt kinda floaty to me, and I find myself wishing they just went with Kirby's design for Steppenwolf. He just looks bad. I watch a lot of old movies, I don't mind 4:3 and for the most part it just is here, but the scene where Aquaman rescues the fisherman in the storm felt bizarrely claustrophobic. Other than that it's fine so far, the action sequences are fun enough despite some dodgy CG here and there. I already think you could have trimmed a lot to make the film tighter, but then again I personally think 90 minutes is the ideal runtime for movies so 4 hours was never going to be a draw for me anyway. It hasn't bothered me too much just yet, let's see if it starts to really grate on me as it continues.

Edit: Some of the music choices... eh.

catlord fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 20, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Kyle being a comic book artist *and making his art into reality* was literally the entire concept of the character.

Yeah Kyle is a Ron Marz self insert. But younger, and better looking.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Roth posted:

I loved Steppenwolf in this version. Felt properly intimidating, and if they were struggling to beat this guy until Superman shows, it does a great establishing how much bigger of a threat Darkseid must be compared to him, and I felt a lore more sympathetic towards this guy than Thanos or Killmonger's "evil black revolutionary"

I wish we could see the rest of Apokolips fleshed out in sequels, but I doubt that will happen.

Even doing a gimmick, you gotta know that's out of pocket.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

Even doing a gimmick, you gotta know that's out of pocket.

Disagreeing about comic book movie villains isn't a gimmick OP

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So I'll echo what a lot of folks are saying, it's definitely better than the theatrical cut, but ZSJL is a fine - but not necessarily good - movie.

The characters get a lot more room to breathe in this version, but for those who do get more fleshed-out (Cyborg specifically) it shows just how much the others get the short shrift. Wonder Woman is great but basically disappears halfway through the movie after failing to recruit Cyborg. Aquaman has so little to do, even though he's still fun. Superman is barely in the movie though his scenes were just as triumphant as the first time around - I actually miss the cold open with the infamous mustache editing with the kids relating to Superman. Flash was wonderful. Batman was intolerable. Steppenwolf had some great facial animations but I never really got him. He was only slightly more than the generic badguy he was in the theatrical cut.

A lot of the scenes added nothing or actively detracted. The Martian Manhunter stuff took me so far out I had to stop watching. It sucked so bad. Basically everything in the Epilogue - mainly the second two epilogues - were some of the worst poo poo I've seen put on film. It was fanfilm quality. The music was distracting. The only musical cues I liked already existed - anything to do with Wonder Woman or Superman's themes.

I had fun watching it and I think it's worth a watch for just about anyone interested in the characters. I don't think this is high art or anything - it's just as much a popcorn flick as any Marvel movie. If I had to rate it in relation to other DC movies, MoS, Wonder Woman, and Shazam still rank higher for me. Vs. Marvel movies, it's on the same level as say the first Avengers. Maybe more Age of Ultron (but I am an AoU apologist, so keep that in mind).

It's fine. It won't make any waves. Maybe Snyder will get to make JL2, but I doubt it.

Roth posted:

Disagreeing about comic book movie villains isn't a gimmick OP

Come on, dude.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Come on, dude.

I am not a dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I really don’t get Aquaman’s appeal in ZSJL. In the Whedon Cut he’s just Thor Lite and it’s dumb, but here he’s a supremely unlikable rear end in a top hat. He’s like a 13 year old’s idea of a badass, complete with swigging whiskey straight from the bottle and tossing it where he pleases. His only good moment is when he’s talking to Flash about how unfair this all is for Cyborg, but that’s all of two lines near the end of the movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really don’t get Aquaman’s appeal in ZSJL. In the Whedon Cut he’s just Thor Lite and it’s dumb, but here he’s a supremely unlikable rear end in a top hat. He’s like a 13 year old’s idea of a badass, complete with swigging whiskey straight from the bottle and tossing it where he pleases. His only good moment is when he’s talking to Flash about how unfair this all is for Cyborg, but that’s all of two lines near the end of the movie.

I disagree. He starts off reluctant, jaded, and more than a little prickly, but he clearly has a soft and sympathetic side. As you mention, his concern for Cyborg after having just lost his father, as well as his heart to heart with Wonder Woman about their peoples' past conflict with each other are the two big moments that stick out to me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I guess that’s fair, I’d forgotten about his chat with WW. He just rubbed me the wrong way in all the chapters before that. I get what Snyder was going for and it’s nice that he has an actual arc in this cut, I just wasn’t a fan of it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Might seem a strange question but does the Ancient Atlantean King get a decent amount of screen time in the ancient battle scene?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

bessantj posted:

Might seem a strange question but does the Ancient Atlantean King get a decent amount of screen time in the ancient battle scene?

Not as much as Zeus, but he gets a couple of shots of him slamming the Trident down.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Roth posted:

I am not a dude.

Apologies. The "come on" still stands.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Apologies. The "come on" still stands.

I'm not sure what the issue is with wanting to talk without having to deal with people assuming you're doing a gimmick for, uh, positively comparing the villain of a DC movie to Marvel villains I was less than thrilled about?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Roth posted:

Not as much as Zeus, but he gets a couple of shots of him slamming the Trident down.

Cool. I listened to an interview with Julian Lewis Jones, the actor who played him, and he talks about meeting Willem Dafoe. Dafoe asks him who he's playing so Jones says the King of Atlantis. Dafoe then asks if that makes him Aquaman's father and when Jones says he doesn't think so Dafoe replies "well maybe I'm Aquaman's father, I don't loving know." Probably about as much investment as these actors need.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Dafoe rules.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

bessantj posted:

Cool. I listened to an interview with Julian Lewis Jones, the actor who played him, and he talks about meeting Willem Dafoe. Dafoe asks him who he's playing so Jones says the King of Atlantis. Dafoe then asks if that makes him Aquaman's father and when Jones says he doesn't think so Dafoe replies "well maybe I'm Aquaman's father, I don't loving know." Probably about as much investment as these actors need.

Dafoe owns so hard

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After that, he talked about the Bugatti he bough with the money he made.

Seriously, I always assume when a great actor does something like this, its literally to buy some expensive thing every since the first time I heard about Michael Caine's response to questions about Jaws 21. or William H Macey talking about how doing Jurassic Park 3 paid for his kids college and stuff like that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Actors have it so sweet. Spend a couple of days in a rad suit of armor yelling dialogue at Jason Momoa and then roll out there in a new super car.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I believe Dafoe is in it for the love of the game.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

or William H Macey talking about how doing Jurassic Park 3 paid for his kids college and stuff like that.
Was that for the $5mil they paid to fake lacrosse shots or something . Lol.

Just finished it and hour ago. Head's swimming and hyped.

I sat down on Thursday night and said "I'll watch a few minutes" and when I checked again an hour had passed. Today it was "ok, next hour and then sleep" and I just mainlined the rest of the film.

I was shocked to see how many of the "good" things from the theatrical were Synder filmed: the JL vs Superman fight, Arthur coming in to slow the tide in the tunnels, WW's opening scene, Bruce being a smug rich rear end in a top hat with a heart of gold.

And then seeing what got left on the floor: all of the relevancy in Vic and Silas' relationship, Lois' grief, Iris's save. THE MOTHERFUCKING TIME-TRAVEL RUN. Jesus christ. He'll, I think even Cyborg's physicality was toned down for the theatrical. He's massing and imposing.

Heck, I even liked the dumb running thread of the advanced troop transport that doesn't work and requires Bruce, Alfred and Vic to finally get off the ground.

I legit had good emotional reactions to Vic crying in the car for a moment due to all the frustration, Barry and Iris, Vic giving the woman a financial windfall, "I'm not broken".

And can I get a moment for Snyder putting in a black family with some melanin, where the mom doesn't look like Halle Berry.

The length really isn't that bad watching at home. And it's a weird exercise in knowing you could trim here and there, but realizing that you really don't need to in this format.

I never realized Amber Heard looked so great in that Mera costume.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished it. Movie did not need to be four hours long, at all. Here's a couple more thoughts.

Martian Manhunter should have been cut. Just... straight up, both his scenes were real bad. The first one even kinda ruins the nice bit just before. Why?

In fact, the Knightmare scene should have been cut, it was actually worse than the theatrical version where at least something happened. I've somehow managed to miss everything besides MoS, BvS, and JL, so this was my first exposure to Leto as Joker and... gently caress he's not a good Joker. I kept on hoping he was done talking and then he'd keep on going.

No other scenes where the aspect ratio bothered me like the fisherman scene, so that was good.

Did Iris West ever... get named, or say more than a couple lines? The way she was talked up I was expecting her to be more... there. Barry was a little creepy and then snagged a hot dog?

I was shocked at how much was in the theatrical version, the way it was talked about I didn't expect there to be so many times where I was like, "oh yeah, I remember this scene."

Flash stepping back through time and the world reconstructing itself beneath his feet was cool.

There was more character development and it was good, but it was four hours long so I don't really feel that's quite an accomplishment?

It was decent, but it really does remind me of the Exorcist prequels. Yeah, the second go-round is better, but it's not that much better. It probably could have really shined, properly edited down to two and a half hours. Anyways, I gotta get some sleep.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Roth posted:

I keep seeing people say Ares kicked Darkseid's rear end but Zeus was featured so prominently I don't even remember Ares from that scene. Shirtless 300 lightning man (who I am calling Zeus, maybe incorrectly) put in all the work there. If Ares is the one who stabbed him it's because Lightning man kept sniping him with lightning bolts over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

catlord posted:

Just finished it. Movie did not need to be four hours long, at all. Here's a couple more thoughts.

Martian Manhunter should have been cut. Just... straight up, both his scenes were real bad. The first one even kinda ruins the nice bit just before. Why?

Did Iris West ever... get named, or say more than a couple lines? The way she was talked up I was expecting her to be more... there. Barry was a little creepy and then snagged a hot dog?

It was decent, but it really does remind me of the Exorcist prequels. Yeah, the second go-round is better, but it's not that much better. It probably could have really shined, properly edited down to two and a half hours. Anyways, I gotta get some sleep.

I think the second Martian Manhunter scene is good because it shows Batman's development where now even though he still has nightmares about evil aliens he puts those aside and is willing to take a leap of faith on a stranger. It would feel better I think if his nightmare wasn't so long.

Iris didn't do much but putting her back is important because it essentially forced WB to keep her cast as Iris in the Flash movie. I don't know what was creepy about that scene. He very carefully and meticulously moves her so he didn't explodify her.