Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr Fronts posted:

"Oh, Miles!", she exclaimed breathlessly, taking off his jacket and throwing it aside. "I only have a moment before I need to mix those drinks."

"What, you're going to ditch me for a Hairy Roberts?", Eckhart purred, taking off his jacket and dropping it on the floor. It crumpled and folded in a highly realistic manner.

She pulled him close with one hand, tugging roughly at his jacket with the other, feeling the soft fabric of his jacket underneath. "Hurry, Miles! I need to feel your skin on mine", she purred.

Eckhart shrugged off his jacket. Hungrily, she eyed his one-of-a-kind Shroud of the Avatar leather pants and codpiece.

"Come here, Annabelle!", he growled.

"Please", she said, "Call me 'Boo'!"

She ripped off his jacket.

I counted along with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Pixelate posted:

We understood that players struggled with knowing what to do in the game.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

quote:

Ships are now a mirror matchup to ensure player skill is what truly shines in the skies.

Lol this dude trying to get fired or what

Heiggwinie
Jul 24, 2013
Bomber Bros! I am still waiting for another video.

Heiggwinie fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 20, 2021

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pixelate posted:

New and improved ToW hitting evocati!

None of this matters unless they fix performance, and they can't fix performance

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The Titanic posted:

organs of unknown nomenclature

Also the title of my new psychedelic prog album, out soon on bandcamp.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
We understood that players struggled with knowing what to do in the game

This level of honesty is quite refreshing.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

50 Shades of Grift

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

IAbsolveMyself posted:

40 entire players. Impressive.

Popete posted:

lol at 24 player battlefield in the year 2021. Really pushing the boundaries!

Stop spreading FUD, SC can easily handle 100 or even more!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

We just learned that TOW meant totally outsourced work instead of theaters of war. And that it will take a biiiiiiiit longer and cost a biiiiiiit more than expected.

S- so you're saying there's a chance?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CeeJee posted:

We understood that players struggled with knowing what to do in the game

This level of honesty is quite refreshing.

I thought Star Citizens were hardcore gamers who don’t need hand-holding to generate the AAAA level emergent gameplay that comes out of a detailed simulation

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Last we heard on ToW it was moving closer to PU norms to serve as a better testing zone

Ok so they’ve opened the maps up. But now vehicles are spawn points, ships insta-spawn, there are staged objectives with lots of UI indicators, and a custom map view. Just like the PU...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Question: Server Meshing: "Research" Phase or "Production" Phase?

quote:

What stage is server meshing "more" in?

#1 Research Phase: "We aren't sure how it will work yet, but are looking into it."

#2 Production Phase: "We know exactly how to do it and have a (mostly clear) roadmap internally for what milestones to hit to achieve it."

Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnson posted:

Definitely production phase. We spent a lot of time and effort planning out server meshing until we were confident we had addressed all the major risks and unknowns for the first version. This roadmap includes several integrations of our code back to the development mainline so that our changes are being tested by as many of our fellow developers as soon as possible, and get included in the following quarterly release. Some of these integrations only affect things beneath the surface and haven't, or won't have, any noticeable impact on how players experience the game as whole or its performance. From the outside it may sometimes look like not much progress is being made.

The plans for server meshing beyond its first version are still in the research phase. We have pretty clear ideas of what we want to do and how, and will continue to flesh out these ideas as we work towards the first version. However, these plans can't be finalised until that first version is in your hands and working well enough for us to see what the problems with it are. Building incrementally like this allows us to be sure of our footing along the way, and address any unforseen issues as they arise.

T0 static server enmeshination in the production stage!

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 20, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

Last we heard on ToW it was moving closer to PU norms to serve as a better testing zone

Ok so they’ve opened the maps up. But now vehicles are spawn points, ships insta-spawn, there are staged objectives with lots of UI indicators, and a custom map view. Just like the PU...

I like to imagine there will be a clown car parked from which there will be constant streams of respawning commandos

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

commando in tophat posted:

I like to imagine there will be a clown car parked from which there will be constant streams of respawning commandos

Robert's Porsche now in game.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pixelate posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/TrustworthyProudKleeKeyboardCat-HPDnT6qQ8pbTAM6m

he won't

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pixelate posted:

quote:

The plans for server meshing beyond its first version are still in the research phase.

Imagine still researching server meshing in year 9 of development...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
loving :lol:

Clive Johnson CIG@cjohnson posted:

:words:

reddit posted:

Borderlands wasn't cellshaded until months before release, 4 years into development.
Fortnite didn't have a Battle Royale mode nor multiplayer at all until after it's release
Darkest Dungeon didn't have corpses until weeks before release.
Diablo 1 was turn based for almost it's entire development. The change was so last moment that it's to this day there is a fully functioning turn based system under the hood that is run on auto 20 time a second.
You'e acting like this is some unsual circumstance, Games are not like houses, game development is not a series of linear steps that are either done or undone.
Core tech is almost never done and dusted early and forgotten, you're hacking, refactoring and slapping that poo poo around right up until you have to go gold.
Core tech usually ends up dominating the release schedule, because you can't scale code by throwing more bodies at it like you can with every other aspect of development. That's how pedestrian research and planning core tech late in a cycle is.

reddit posted:

Obviously you don't understand game development.
There is nothing as ground breaking and ambitious as Server meshing that has been ever done in the history of video games.
General relativity or the standard particle model was not made in 1 year.
It's the most crucial part of development, they can't make mistakes because everything will be built on it, we are talking about the foundations !
If there is a weakness in this foundation it is the whole building that risks collapsing when construction begins.
So CIG need to take all its time to ensure that the foundations are strong and will keep the game built for decades to come is most important.
It doesn't matter if it takes another 2, 5 or 10 years, the only thing that matters is that the core techs are well implemented because this is the only thing that will transform Star Citizen from dream to reality.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

:reddit: posted:

:words:

Well it's good that game development isn't like building house, because if you just started thinking about these foundations in year 9 of your house building, you're not in a good place

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
They made ToW look like Endor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vyrO0NzPU

I mean the PU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

commando in tophat posted:

Well it's good that game development isn't like building house, because if you just started thinking about these foundations in year 9 of your house building, you're not in a good place

The Sears Tower actually added different window grips three years after opening. Checkmate FUDster.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

It's definetly in production phase! It just might not make any difference and you probably won't notice and changes and the real work that needs to be done we don't yet know how to do. But it's in production!

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Star Citizer: From the outside it may sometimes look like not much progress is being made.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Pixelate posted:

I mean the PU

Ahh the supreme ...

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Pixelate posted:

reddit posted:

Borderlands wasn't cellshaded until months before release, 4 years into development.
Fortnite didn't have a Battle Royale mode nor multiplayer at all until after it's release
Darkest Dungeon didn't have corpses until weeks before release.
Diablo 1 was turn based for almost it's entire development. The change was so last moment that it's to this day there is a fully functioning turn based system under the hood that is run on auto 20 time a second.
You'e acting like this is some unsual circumstance, Games are not like houses, game development is not a series of linear steps that are either done or undone.
Core tech is almost never done and dusted early and forgotten, you're hacking, refactoring and slapping that poo poo around right up until you have to go gold.
Core tech usually ends up dominating the release schedule, because you can't scale code by throwing more bodies at it like you can with every other aspect of development. That's how pedestrian research and planning core tech late in a cycle is.

It's true that games are often rather poo poo right up until release, either because the devs still haven't found that special thing that "clicks" with everyone and finally makes it feel good to play, or the reverse: They prototyped the good gameplay ages ago but have had to spend a lot of time slowly filling the game up with content and fixing all the bugs that crop up.

But those games had a foundation. Star Citizen doesn't have even that - CIG is making the game by creating all the art and assets first, then trying to figure out how to plug them into a working game with a purpose later on. There was never any finely tuned gameplay prototyped years in advance; they're just making it up as they go and hoping the money doesn't run out as the feature creep keeps consuming it from inside. It is completely backwards.

It's like instead of modeling the house first, you start out by making all the furniture and decorations.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pixelate posted:

I wonder how they think most games work.

I mean they're not wrong about Diablo, but still... all games are running on "auto 60 times a second" lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pixelate posted:

I mean the PU

So its Endor from Star Wars combined with the mining thing from Star Trek.

And the bad guys are called "The Supreme" lmao makes me think of Taco Bell

Roberts has 0 creativity

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Game out?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

We spent a lot of time and effort planning out server meshing until we were confident we had addressed all the major risks and unknowns for the first version

Pixelate posted:

Ah, "static server meshing" also known as "having different servers take care of different areas". Lots of unknowns in that sort of super innovate tech.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I mean come on it's not like general relativity or the standard particle model were made in 1 year!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Out of steam and ideas, most definitely.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

cirus posted:

I mean come on it's not like general relativity or the standard particle model were made in 1 year!

I know right, or like the US didn't put a man on the Moon in 8 years oh wait

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
I don't know a thing about game development, but that network guy sounds like a right BS merchant.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1372987067479830536
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1372987205648531461
https://twitter.com/1Big_Johnson/status/1373029487185702919
https://twitter.com/Bonzai_Badger/status/1373156893363953665
https://twitter.com/AvalonTarkov/status/1373025567818276870

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:yikes:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Doesn’t literally every game ever made have pricks like this in the fandom?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Torquemada posted:

Doesn’t literally every game ever made have pricks like this in the fandom?

Lately, yes. I sauntered over to X4's forums and it was another nest of white supremacist shitbirds

Honestly this is one of the major reasons why I'm drifting further and further away from gaming

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I feel like both phrases, “black lives matter” and “defund the police” are, in hindsight, really easy for disingenuous dickheads to attack. “Black lives matter too” and “restructure the police” (or something better) would give them less room to do their “all lives matter” bullshit. I know most decent people don’t think people saying Black Lives Matter is saying white lives don’t matter, but they would at least have to work harder to be secret nazis. Does that make sense? Sorry, bit of a stream of consciousness post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hottubrhymemachine posted:

I feel like both phrases, “black lives matter” and “defund the police” are, in hindsight, really easy for disingenuous dickheads to attack. “Black lives matter too” and “restructure the police” (or something better) would give them less room to do their “all lives matter” bullshit. I know most decent people don’t think people saying Black Lives Matter is saying white lives don’t matter, but they would at least have to work harder to be secret nazis. Does that make sense? Sorry, bit of a stream of consciousness post.

Yeah.... but that's basically tone policing black people because of what white supremacists do. The problem is the racists.

Also the "too" would detract from the whole strength of the statement. If you aren't a piece of poo poo its not hard to get.

And plenty of other non-ambiguous phrases still get twisted by the racists so not much sense worrying about what they do; they'll find a way to be lovely regardless. Tucker Carlson cannot be stopped.