Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I'd gladly pay $50 for a port of Persona 5 Royal but SMT3 has got a whole lot of slow puzzle maze dungeon grinding and I think I wouldn't even have the patience to do it again as an adult, and definitely not for $50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What if you could pay an extra $20 for the quick-grinding dungeons?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The emphasis on dungeon grinds over plot is exactly what I like about SMT over Persona

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MMF Freeway posted:

The emphasis on dungeon grinds over plot is exactly what I like about SMT over Persona

less high school students yammering at each other, more killing or enslaving demons. :thumbsup:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nocturne is my favourite because there's only five people in it to dialogue at you in between the sweet fight music and moody overworld travels.

Oh, plus Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ErrEff posted:

This is also locked behind the deluxe edition for some reason:

Pay to win.

uber_stoat posted:

less high school students yammering at each other, more killing or enslaving demons. :thumbsup:

Same, I remember when I posted about Persona 5 which is my first Atlus game, I posted in the Persona the thread about my complaints. Everyone was like ya just play the SMT games. I loved the combat system in persona and the demon minmax. The social part is fun but I just wanted to fight and combine demons to create the ultimate abomination. Been waiting for this remaster to get into SMT, was going to get it on PS4 but now will just get the Steam ver.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Iron Harvest was on sale so I bought it because it’s been on my wishlist forever.

Wow this campaign intro sucks. A lot.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Iron Harvest as a whole sucks a lot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

Ulio posted:

Same, I remember when I posted about Persona 5 which is my first Atlus game, I posted in the Persona the thread about my complaints. Everyone was like ya just play the SMT games. I loved the combat system in persona and the demon minmax. The social part is fun but I just wanted to fight and combine demons to create the ultimate abomination. Been waiting for this remaster to get into SMT, was going to get it on PS4 but now will just get the Steam ver.

This is really funny to me because Persona 4 was the first one I got into and I found that... I really enjoyed the stupid social minigame and really disliked demon pokemon :v:

I also bounced off of Nocturne and some of the other mobile games for a similar reason

I think my overall completion rate for SMT games in general is like 0/however many I've played though, which ain't great. Despite really enjoying the presentation and storylines in P3 4 and 5, I didn't finish any of them.

And yet I plowed through 13 Sentinels in a few days and didn't really like the mech battles.

Am... am I a VN fan? :ohdear:

(next step, buy P5R and see if I get past 50-60% like I did in P5 base :haw:)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

there's got to be some kind of (hopefully timed) exclusivity deal with persona 5 going on at this point.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Isn't it coming to EGS this month?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As a fervent dungeon crawler fan and demon fusion fan: I played SMT 1-3 and the Raidou series before I met the Persona series and I hit that series like a brick wall. God, it was so bad. Endless conversations, and like - I like visual novels and jrpgs but it felt like it existed to taunt me that it was more popular than the mainline stuff that was (imho) so much better and more creative.

I would do so much for a remake of SMT 1+2, 2 is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

In lieu of that I'll take Nocturne, which is just... perfect. It is a perfect game. The settings are evocative, the music perfect, the demons are neat and the world is weird and off-kilter in a way I cannot stop loving. Then it has some of the best combat of the franchise and it's just... /happy sigh. I am so, so happy to revisit it without having to emulate it or steal the PS2 back from my brother.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Has anyone tried Rise to Ruins? I was looking at Endzone, because Banished with more mechanics sounds awesome, and one of the reviews said it was just a significantly shallower version of RtR, but the latter looks more like a creeper world-esque TD game with some base building, instead of a base building game?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Has anyone tried Rise to Ruins? I was looking at Endzone, because Banished with more mechanics sounds awesome, and one of the reviews said it was just a significantly shallower version of RtR, but the latter looks more like a creeper world-esque TD game with some base building, instead of a base building game?

:psyduck: It's been at least a year since I played Rise to Ruins but it's the least Banished thing I can think of, what the hell?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

:psyduck: It's been at least a year since I played Rise to Ruins but it's the least Banished thing I can think of, what the hell?

Huh, maybe the review was just nasty/misinformed then? It's from one of the negative reviews of Endzone on the top page-

quote:

Rise to Ruins isn't nearly as pretty, but it has a much richer version of the mechanics from this game. They two games are almost suspiciously similar, with Rise to Ruins predating Endzone by years.

Also, is RtR good? I enjoyed creeper world 3 for a while, but I find that I often burn out on TD games early because they're either too monotonous (build killbox, sit on it forever), or too stressful (build killbox, oh no 30 new lanes appeared on the map and a monster is eating your dog).

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

victrix posted:

I can't find anything about this except a single fake clickbait article.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I’m annoyed that Civ 2 doesn’t seem to be available anywhere for purchase. :(

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

victrix posted:

You might be thinking of Kingdom Hearts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MMF Freeway posted:

holy piss I thought this was going to be switch exclusive

Japan got it on PS4 the same day as Switch and the English release will be on it too. It's just that it was announced during a Nintendo shindig.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Omi no Kami posted:

"Banished with tower defense and mid-90s graphics" is actually pretty accurate. The town-building and production aspects are maybe a little bit more complex than Banished, as well.

That said, it has a really big flaw that makes me not recommend it. To win each map, you have to survive 28 days and nights, and enemy waves ramp up exponentially. You face basically zero challenge for 23-24 days, and then get crushed by massive waves of ghosts that phase through your walls and fire elementals with ranged attacks that inflict stacking burn on your towers. There's basically only one viable strategy to survive the end game, which is a curtain wall maze and ballista towers.

Also, the pacing is loving slow. Like multiple hours to reach the late game, even with liberal use of fast forward.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Iron Harvest was disappointing as hell

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My Summer Car: A Love Story in three parts.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GlitteringSecondAmphiuma-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LinearMarriedBear-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WillingAggravatingAcornwoodpecker-mobile.mp4

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Tell Me Why Episode 1

This is Microsoft Presents Life is Strange Lite. Same idea wrapped up in a different package.

The premise is in 2005, some bad poo poo went down and Tyler, the trans character, ended up killing their mother in self defense after her response to seeing a short male-ish hair cut. Obviously anything you hear about the game focuses on that fact it has a trans main character and they lead front and center with it. The game starts 10 years later, as Alyson, Tyler's twin sister, comes to pick him up from the long term juvenile center he's been at since the murder, where he's succeeded fairly well, having started fully transitioning and gotten a college degree while she's kind of spun her wheels in small town Alaska waiting for him.

It starts off by going back to the twins home and deciding to go through the remnants of their life, the house they haven't been to in 10 years. The twins awaken a power to sort of visualize and see their memories, an expansion to a power they've always had called The Voice that let them share emotions and thoughts. No big deal, no shocking reveal just a metaphysical manifestation of their twin bond the casually bring up as normal to them.

The exploration and mystery begins as they explore, remembering things and pick through the fragments of their childhood. When they discover something that challenges their understanding of their mother, a women from who all signs point to serious untreated mental illness, it becomes a pressing need to find out more. This leads to heading to a new location and highlighting the main mechanic of the game, the ability to recall two sets of the same memory playing out in major ways, and having to decide which of the memory will be assumed as the "real" one. Tyler literally says its Rashoman style when they first figure it out.

Obviously, like the Life Is Strange games, every major choice is hinted to have some impact in how the game's story will develop. The ending slate for episode one included about 7 choice outcomes with the %breakdown of global statistics, which is way less then the amount you'd normally have for one of these episodes. It's definitely got a tighter focus on the mystery then the other Life is Strange games. Everything you do across episode 1 is pursuit of the main objective, there's nothing else to interact or deal with beyond simple conversation with npcs.

Overall it's a good, engaging intro to an adventure game series. 90% of the first episode is a lot of mundane stuff that sets the stage for the last bit of the episode where the real meat of the drama happens. It's very much a massive, dangling hook to entice people into playing the next episode hoping for answers to the weirdness. As like most of their Life is Strange games, the animations are a little stiff in general and some of the character models are kind of frozen in the face, especially when trying to convey emotion.. I'm not 100% sure if the lip animations are just bad or playing at 60 fps fucks with the animations timing compared to the audio. I tried and 30 fps and it seemed better but I could never really tell for sure. All that stuff on the technical side is a bit distracting but the game seems pretty stable and bug free so far. The usual effort on making the small town natural beauty is there, and you're frequently looking at some really nice frozen wilderness vistas.

Honestly, the first episode was a big step up in quality for me from Life is Strange 2. It played more like a watching a short run netflix drama that doesn't really gently caress around with extraneous stuff and the pacing is set to tell and wrap up a tale from start to finish.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
This may not be the best place to mention it since it's not on Steam (anymore) but Red Candle Games is selling Devotion through their own storefront right now. I bought it the second I saw it was available again a few days ago, but didn't really get a chance to dig into it until tonight, and it is really great so far. There's only been one jump scare so far, and it happens in the first few minutes, almost like they're trying to get it out of the way so they can focus on unsettling/upsetting stuff instead-- I'm only about an hour in though, so for all I know it's all jump scares from here on out. Definitely worth checking out, even if you're normally a massive wimp when it comes to horror games, like I tend to be.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ghostlight posted:

Oh, plus Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series.

Is it worth it paying extra for him? I never got far enough to get him before and not sure how Radiou is.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

an owls casket posted:

This may not be the best place to mention it since it's not on Steam (anymore) but Red Candle Games is selling Devotion through their own storefront right now. I bought it the second I saw it was available again a few days ago, but didn't really get a chance to dig into it until tonight, and it is really great so far. There's only been one jump scare so far, and it happens in the first few minutes, almost like they're trying to get it out of the way so they can focus on unsettling/upsetting stuff instead-- I'm only about an hour in though, so for all I know it's all jump scares from here on out. Definitely worth checking out, even if you're normally a massive wimp when it comes to horror games, like I tend to be.

It's sorta like an Amnesia game, right? First-person horror puzzles?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it worth it paying extra for him? I never got far enough to get him before and not sure how Radiou is.

At one point it definitely wasn't (he had Bad Skills) but he's been rebalanced in the port and also - it just comes down to who you like more, both are viable now.

(choose Raidou, that dude owns and his games need a port)

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

It's sorta like an Amnesia game, right? First-person horror puzzles?

Pretty light puzzling so far, yeah. It's close to being a walking sim-- the section I just completed before I stopped for the night felt like it was influenced by What Remains of Edith Finch and was very neat.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

lordfrikk posted:

In an unexpected twist of events, launching another launcher in the background like EA and Uplay does is actually better for the consumer in the end because all your progress transfers to other platforms. I played some non-EA, non-Uplay games on XGP and then bought them on Steam and had to start from scratch, which is a huge bummer and makes me hesitant to continue paying for XGP. The value is great as long as you never plan to get off their platform and don't care about modding.

I am mostly on Linux too and their complete locking down of the store means you can't even play the games on Linux unlike with the other stores.

I'd be double dipping like crazy if big RPGs games had cross-saves like Hades does between Switch and PC.

I had also played Bloodstained through Origin Access and have been waiting for it to go on sale, but it never has on Origin.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 20, 2021

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFh-fyazPhY

So with the official reveal trailer Necromunda: Hired Gun also got a promotional page with a few new tidbits of information. Little details such as the game will have character customization, an upgrade tree for the dog companion, and a weapon upgrade system.

Also there was a screenshot up on the Steam community, presumably from one of the developers. That's certainly some Streum On UI design.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 20, 2021

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Does this mean you'll get to customize the guy's moustache?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Will his legs be ok from the start or is that part of an upgrade tree?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I assume they're basically the same since Radiou replaced him, but from memory the story portion doesn't add much and he's a good character when you get him for free but doesn't compare to the higher tiers of demons.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wow Torchlight 3 really is crap. I'd rather play Wolcen.

Ghostlight posted:

I assume they're basically the same since Radiou replaced him, but from memory the story portion doesn't add much and he's a good character when you get him for free but doesn't compare to the higher tiers of demons.

He has the same skills as Raidou yes, except Raidou had innate Pierce and in this version Dante does too, fixing his chief problem.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zesty posted:

Been trying My Summer Car again.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdorableScarceAmericancreamdraft-mobile.mp4

I forgot to flip him off.
Clearly the "Mortal" in the UI is a display bug and it should read "Immortal"

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wow Torchlight 3 really is crap. I'd rather play Wolcen.

No joke. It's dire as hell.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

OgNar posted:

The new EA play desktop only shows me as having 2 games.
But Origin shows me having 6.
Starting off great.

tbf they acknowlege this - I have the same situation (several games on Origin but only 2 show up in EA Play Desktop), but there's a message at the bottom of the "my collection" screen that basically says they haven't added all Origin titles to EA Play yet for the beta.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zereth posted:

Clearly the "Mortal" in the UI is a display bug and it should read "Immortal"
No, no, you're misreading it. It's saying it's currently "Mortal Monday", the release of Mortal Kombat for home consoles. Clearly the game takes place on Sept. 13, 1993.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Oh wow NFS Heat has a storyline, what the hell. Also it plays well, this Game Pass + EA Plus thing is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Just Cause 3 is on a massive sale right now. I had it a while ago but I remember the PC Launch was not that great and stopped a little bit in, has it gotten better and is the Season Pass DLC worth $3.50?