Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BexGu posted:

Just Cause 3 is on a massive sale right now. I had it a while ago but I remember the PC Launch was not that great and stopped a little bit in, has it gotten better and is the Season Pass DLC worth $3.50?

It's very repetitive. I can imagine if you've played one of 2/3/4 you can pretty much expect what you are getting from the others. After the first couple of hours I continued playing it in half hour sessions to not get bored of it.

I do like the season pass DLC. The wingsuit upgrade from Sky pretty much turns you into Iron Man and it becomes the fastest way to travel anywhere (outside of actual fast travel). It's an even bigger deal than the parachute trusters DLC from JC2. Land gives you a pretty OP assault mech which makes cleaning out bases pretty fun. Sea gives you ridiculous rocket boat which I liked because seafaring is pretty boring in Just Cause, so might as well do it fast and deadly. It'll also give you an absurd weapon that allows to bring the thunder down from the skies to obliterate everything, so I never stopped using it once I unlocked it.

So if you are picking up JC3 I'd say the season pass is pretty essential. It gives you some incredible toys that don't care about being balanced. Because Just Cause is not about being challenging, it's about blowing poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Couldn't find the Flight Sim thread but is there a way to tell the updater to gently caress off with opening up tabs when pressing A on a controller even when the updater in is the background?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Croccers posted:

Couldn't find the Flight Sim thread but is there a way to tell the updater to gently caress off with opening up tabs when pressing A on a controller even when the updater in is the background?

Use the games index: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952822

then use flight sim megathread OR flightsim megathread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942445
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550928

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BexGu posted:

Just Cause 3 is on a massive sale right now. I had it a while ago but I remember the PC Launch was not that great and stopped a little bit in, has it gotten better and is the Season Pass DLC worth $3.50?
I got the game for free and after three hours I couldn't tolerate it anymore and felt like I had wasted my time even bothering. 3.50$ is still more than I'd be willing to pay for the entire game.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

if you think 3 was bad, you should try 4 :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Got it for free too recently, so I might. :v: I will exhaustively complain about it in your general direction if I do.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This just arrived in Early Access: Wanted Raccoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfeeZqSVTUY

Very early, with lots of gamebreaking bugs and light on content. There's stealth mechanics, Hitman-like sabotage of NPCs, crafting and a story.

Is it streamer bait? Possibly, but it also looks like it could become good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

I got the game for free and after three hours I couldn't tolerate it anymore and felt like I had wasted my time even bothering. 3.50$ is still more than I'd be willing to pay for the entire game.

So it's a 7/10 game then?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

So it's a 7/10 game then?
Well, if you're going to ask IGN...

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I kinda want to play a blow up things game so I'm planning on playing Mercenaries again, but does Just Cause 3 have much over 2 that would make it worth buying the DLC (I have the main game) and play that instead of JC2?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you just want to gently caress around, I guess there are some things in it that you might like. The ability to tether any two objects together and then attract them to each other makes for some fun rear end in a top hat physics. The mecha DLC is also not bad. The biggest issue with the game is that you have (literally have) to do its side activities, as in races and such, if you want to upgrade anything, because that's the only way to get the necessary tokens. It was the final straw that killed the game for me, because I just refused to waste my time doing hours of wingsuit ring-races for that kind of poo poo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ah, I remember hearing about the side activities and tokens. I didn't play much of the game even though I bought it because it crashed all the time on my PC at the time. May just stick with JC2.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

As a fervent dungeon crawler fan and demon fusion fan: I played SMT 1-3 and the Raidou series before I met the Persona series and I hit that series like a brick wall. God, it was so bad. Endless conversations, and like - I like visual novels and jrpgs but it felt like it existed to taunt me that it was more popular than the mainline stuff that was (imho) so much better and more creative.

I would do so much for a remake of SMT 1+2, 2 is easily one of my favorite games of all time.

In lieu of that I'll take Nocturne, which is just... perfect. It is a perfect game. The settings are evocative, the music perfect, the demons are neat and the world is weird and off-kilter in a way I cannot stop loving. Then it has some of the best combat of the franchise and it's just... /happy sigh. I am so, so happy to revisit it without having to emulate it or steal the PS2 back from my brother.

As someone who didn't like those aspects of Persona 5 but still loved it. This makes me really excited for SMT. Seems like the gameplay parts are the meat of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BexGu posted:

If you mean performance and stability I didn’t have any problems a few years ago. You’ll almost definitely want that DLC of you do get it, or at least the wingsuit.

As for the game itself I think Just Cause 3’s main failing is that its missions are just not interesting at all. A ton of Just Cause 2’s missions, whether the main missions or the faction missions, had you doing something new in each one. Sometimes it was a big set piece and sometimes it was just some small bit of atmosphere but the variety was there.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Is Gamepass' Skyrim EE moddable? If so: Is it moddable 'as usual', or do you need to do Weird poo poo to get it working?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is Gamepass' Skyrim EE moddable? If so: Is it moddable 'as usual', or do you need to do Weird poo poo to get it working?

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-version-of-skyrim-on-game-pass-is-moddablewith-limits/

Its looking like anything that will require the script extender will not be able to function with the gamepass version of skyrim

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I played JC3 a year ago with a brand new computer and had about five crashes that required resetting power, but no other technical issues.

I liked it, but it was quite repetitive, so the last half wasn't too exciting, especially since the story or the characters aren't interesting. Maybe I should have played for a couple of hours every two weeks or so, rather than smash through it in three weeks.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Leal posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-version-of-skyrim-on-game-pass-is-moddablewith-limits/

Its looking like anything that will require the script extender will not be able to function with the gamepass version of skyrim

Ah, dammit. Thanks.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
theHunter Call of The Wild is on sale for very cheap. You should buy it so in the future you can also buy this upcoming DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322h5zrx9JE

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Det_no posted:

theHunter Call of The Wild is on sale for very cheap. You should buy it so in the future you can also buy this upcoming DLC.

Will the dog laugh if you miss a shot? and can you shoot it then?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I was watching Quill18 a bit earlier play a game called Dorfromantik, and I think it looks positively lovely. If a pastoral, chill world-building game sounds like something you might enjoy the first video on the Steam page does a good job selling the idea, imo. Hits EA next week but seems generally quite polished.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Will the dog laugh if you miss a shot? and can you shoot it then?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Det_no posted:

This is the greatest day!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Det_no posted:

So if I wanted to jump on this, what are the must-have DLC's? Skimming reviews it seems like the ATV, tripods, and tents are most popular and the Yukon addon is generally well liked but I also see just as many counter-arguments about weird annoyances like beavers eating the tripods and any DLC territories causing weird desyncing issues in multiplayer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't played multiplayer, but I would personally suggest pretty much everything that adds more regions, animals, and gear. Regions and animals are self-explanatory and the gear is all useful, it just has the occasional quirk associated with its use. The regions I would almost consider a must-have, because exploring cool places (and killing cool animals, you monster) is basically the entire point of the game and there is no way in which it isn't made better by having more of them.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So if I wanted to jump on this, what are the must-have DLC's? Skimming reviews it seems like the ATV, tripods, and tents are most popular and the Yukon addon is generally well liked but I also see just as many counter-arguments about weird annoyances like beavers eating the tripods and any DLC territories causing weird desyncing issues in multiplayer.

Yeah imo you want any region you think looks good. The ATV is nice to have. Everything else you can just wait for until you know whether you want it or not. The countryside and the areas are the real draw and there isn't a dud among the reserves.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think the only must-haves would probably be Tents for easier fast travel and 1 of the 2(your choice) Trophy lodges. ATVs are highly recommended because they're the only vehicles in the game but you can largely obviate them by unlocking all the fast travel camps(which is of course much less tedious with an ATV).

Everything else is basically down to personal preference but reserves are good because it's more maps and animals. I always recommend Vurhonga because it's the most unique of all the maps but none of them are bad.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Alright, so looks like the "2019 Edition" bundle is a solid entry point, thanks.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

nordichammer posted:

Wildermyth was cool for my one campaign, if a little long, but I'm not sure how much I care to replay it. There are some small things that can be changed with abilities in battle in another run. I doubt it would be different enough to play a longer campaign. I value gameplay more than encounters or blurbs.

The battle system is cool, though. I especially enjoyed how the magic was handled. The equipment stuff sucked imo but eh not enough to discourage the player.

If it's on sale and you're interested, grab it. If not interested, you're not missing a whole lot.

Valheim is rough around the edges, but decent enough if you can forgive N64 graphics. It has some good features and a decent enough loop. The scaling feels super off, and it feels like it is very early in early access despite apparently being out for 2 years on itch. If you know people who are playing it, you could do worse for a chill survival Sim. I'd recommend Minecraft and 7 Days to Die with easier settings over it, but it's probably 3rd out of the few I've played.

I played 7 Days to Die back when it was in Beta...wow 6 1/2 years ago now. It was pretty good then even if I got killed a bunch to start and having to stop everything to hunker down for Zombie invasions every week got tiresome.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ulio posted:

As someone who didn't like those aspects of Persona 5 but still loved it. This makes me really excited for SMT. Seems like the gameplay parts are the meat of the game.

there's an economy of story in Nocturne that really works for the bleak, minimalist aesthetic of the game's environments. you'll rarely encounter characters who have something to say, but when they do, it always carries a lot of import

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

there's an economy of story in Nocturne that really works for the bleak, minimalist aesthetic of the game's environments. you'll rarely encounter characters who have something to say, but when they do, it always carries a lot of import

i always liked how uh... stark? everything looks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, that's a good way to phrase it. Nocturne has something really austere and taciturn about it, both in how it looks and how it's written. It really fits the mood of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I played 7 Days to Die back when it was in Beta...wow 6 1/2 years ago now. It was pretty good then even if I got killed a bunch to start and having to stop everything to hunker down for Zombie invasions every week got tiresome.

I still can’t honestly recommend 7 Days to Die at this point because it has been a giant mess for years and years and could still go back to that but there is a fair bit of good game there now and are a lot options that make it kind of play however you want. You can freely at any time change the day length, change the frequency and severity of the zombie hordes so they can range from extremely dangerous and common and somewhat random to trivial and rare and easy to predict, change what you drop upon death from everything to nothing, how much loot there is and it’s rarity, how much experience you gain, and so on.

7 Days does eventually have the same problem as Valheim in that eventually you will reach a point where there’s very little left to do or new to find besides maintaining what you have and doing whatever you set for yourself but it is a bit more varied than the mining and tombs in Valheim until that point. The zombie hordes do also provide a consistently increasing level of challenge and something to prepare for beyond what you want to do at any moment at least, similar to the creature attacks in Valheim but a much more central feature and also doesn’t basically vanish in co-op.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Compound update to Receiver 2 is pretty good. It's a mix of shooting practice with puzzle elements, and it gives you more opportunity to enjoy / hate Receiver mechanics (I enjoy them immensely). If you have the game already, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I think I like the Compound better than the base game, the shooting challenges give the mechanics a workout by actually putting you under time pressure, and having a persistent area let them make some fun puzzles and exploration.

Some of the firing range challenges are irritating(protip learn to tac-reload automatics) but overall it was a neat update that breathed new life into Receiver 2.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 20, 2021

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Am I missing something about Chronicon? Maybe I'm too used to Path of Exile, but it feels like the hitboxes are all weird and there's very little feedback when it comes to you/the enemies getting hit. The UI is rear end too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You can turn on damage numbers, which make it a lot more obvious.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Boy, theHunter is uh... kinda buggy, huh. Like "the game won't register that I'm taking pictures of these footprints so I can't complete a core progression task and now I suddenly can't toggle back to my phone either" buggy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Normally the game is very stable and glitch-free in my experience, so you definitely ran into an unusually bad one there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The picture detection can be particular at times, if you're hitting the right button[tab by default] to open the Huntermate I would try leaving to the menu and coming back or switching reserves.

None of the missions are necessary for progression just FYI everything is covered by the leveling system so you can skip them, the base map missions(Hirschfelden and Layton) are pretty bad tbh they got more interesting as they went along with the dlc.

Fakeedit: Make sure your equipment isn't holstered [default is the H key]

Cardiovorax posted:

Normally the game is very stable and glitch-free in my experience, so you definitely ran into an unusually bad one there.
Not to be rude but :lol:

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 21, 2021