Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What's the story behind Geoff John's by the way because I heard he was key to a lot of dumb dceu decisions?

Tedious loser, brought back the most boring iterations of Flash and Green Lantern in the comics, I've yet to hear an anecdote of him positively contributing to a movie.

Most Flash appearances on TV and film (including Zack Snyder's Justice League) just use Wally West and call him Barry Allen, but Hal Jordan's harder to pass as John Stewart or Kyle Rayner.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Knew that little head tilt looked familiar.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I mostly liked this dumb 4 hour superhero movie. And I think Leto did a really good, disturbing joker- but I would have cut all of the epilogue. or rather, not shot (most of?) it in the first place.

I also feel like part of the reason this is so long and a little clumsy in parts is that Snyder tried to shoehorn in two origin movies (flash and cyborg) that should have been their own films released at the same time as ww and aquaman. He rightly recognized that these characters needed some kind of intro, but it shouldn't have taken place in what should have been the DC version of End Game. He did the best he could not to just drop these random new characters on people. (I mean, obviously flash was pretty well fleshed out on CW I guess.)

edit: I watched the original, but I honestly can't remember much of anything about it other than I thought it was kind of disjointed and had poo poo pacing.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 20, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
let the "every character in a movie needs their own origin movie" meme die. kill it if you have to.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Predator proves that all you need is thirty seconds of bigdogging and an earth shaking handshake for an origin story.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honest god putting a 30 minute origin story for every character just inside the ensemble movie loving rules. It's like a free extra movie.

Please next team up movie do this. Justice League Dark, give me a 30 minutes Blue Devil movie and a 30 minute Zatanna movie and a 30 minute Zauriel movie.

Great Lakes Avengers same thing please.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They didn't do an origin for flash though did they? They just showed he needed multiple jobs and his dad was in jail (for some reason?) etc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

He basically had a short where he rescues Iris with the hot dogs. You could definitely trim that right down for a shorter cut, but it was delightful. Cyborg is slightly more essential.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zzulu posted:

They didn't do an origin for flash though did they? They just showed he needed multiple jobs and his dad was in jail (for some reason?) etc.

Specifically his dad is in jail for killing his mom, but he didn't do it. That's why he is desperate to get into criminal justice, to try and prove his dad innocent.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

2house2fly posted:

The goggles Batman wears for the climax look a lot like Nite Owl in Watchmen

Yes, and he's not wearing his matte concrete texture suit from BvS either--it's shinier and has facet lines reminiscent of Nite Owls movie armor (though not as immediately recognizable as the goggles).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
This movie was terrible.

And you people are telling me the Whedon version is worse?

Do you people like this movie because of Stockholm syndrome? Is getting punched in the face for four hours that much better than getting kicked in the sick for two hours?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

Do you people like this movie because of Stockholm syndrome? Is getting punched in the face for four hours that much better than getting kicked in the sick for two hours?

"How dare you like things I don't like!" Is always an interesting topic of conversation

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

Let me put it this way: dumb nerds in an endless hateful online war between DC and Marvel movies pretty much dropped everything to agree it was poo poo. Including many Joss Whedon stans who thought he was going to save DC movies before they saw it.

The Whedon version was wildly worse, like it was barely a movie and had CGI out of a TV show from a decade ago. They tried to joke it up like a Marvel movie but it was worse than the worst Marvel movies at dumb quips. Almost all the action looked like rear end and the writing in general was cringey as hell. It even recycled a "whoops fell on her tits lol" joke from his last movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

I liked it because it was fun and I enjoyed it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gatts posted:

Gal Gadot is a completely different actress and WW under Snyder’s direction compared to her own movie series. He knows how to pull a good performance from her.

I was still wincing. She's not a good actress.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

my partner and I enjoy watching trash. if you can't laugh at Superman screaming for 30 minutes and wonder woman scooting around on her knees to deflect bullets, then I don't know what to tell you

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

I was still wincing. She's not a good actress.

She was dead weight the whole film. Not a good thing when about 20% of the movie is just her delivering exposition, describing what's happening on the screen in front of us.

really funny trying to reconcile this WW with the one in 84, especially the full bank scene where she was just putting dudes brains on the wall left and right. Same hero that defeated Maxwell Lord by saying "The secret is love" went out of her way to brutalize terrorists in front of a bunch of kids.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

You have to judge a genre movie by its genre.

And, I'm saying this as a person who thought B v S was embarrassing and even MoS was overrated, this movie did a lot of things well.

The action was great, built on literal hours of backstory and characterization, with imaginative takes on things from post humanism to LotR fanboyism.

It's enthusiastic, bombastic, utterly unapologetic, pretty weird, and outside of an utterly woeful last five minutes, ends in a cathartic powerful and positive tone paying roots to its origins in adolescent power fantasy dream making.

I had fun and only thought about stopping it during the Leto monologs, which is an accomplishment.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FizFashizzle posted:

She was dead weight the whole film. Not a good thing when about 20% of the movie is just her delivering exposition, describing what's happening on the screen in front of us.

really funny trying to reconcile this WW with the one in 84, especially the full bank scene where she was just putting dudes brains on the wall left and right. Same hero that defeated Maxwell Lord by saying "The secret is love" went out of her way to brutalize terrorists in front of a bunch of kids.

WW84 was super loving bad so it's good to ignore it.

The first WW movie she wasted fools too. Her first appearance was in BvS and she cut off an arm.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Her line readings are amazingly bad, which is not a good thing when it underlies like 10 mins of dialogue less action. They teach you in school how to vary your voice, to embue it with authority or whimsy, or whatever choice you want. And I think her choice 100 percent of the time is "sleepily telling you about a happy dream she had once she can't quite remember".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's pretty funny that it's Canon that we have a Cyborg who is a mobile Skynet and a Joker who yells about reacharounds to Batman

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I honestly don't understand why ww84 needed to be in the 80s other than a cynical trend chasing of 80s nostalgia. Everything in the story could work in contemporary times.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

when steppenwolf asked WW where she had been, why she had abandoned her people, that she could have saved them, I wish she had talked about working mall security or whatever.

Like the guy had some points.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's lucky Glorious Godfrey wasn't around in 1984, he would have looked at the tv and said "I wish Darkseid had the Anti-Life formula"

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Man, what a great movie. Look at the Justice League vanquishing evil. WB execs look like a bunch of incompetent idiot assholes who asked a sexpest to paint their Golden Goose day-glo yellow "for the kids" or whatever the gently caress and Joss Whedon's career is in as many pieces as Zod's spinal cord.

Imagine watching this movie and not liking it. Call CPS to do a wellness check! Or maybe they're all WB execs trying to save their rep, I dunno.

Hold on guys let me tell you just how smart I am it's "indulgent" and "I don't like Aquaman" and "Zack Snyder GRAAAAAAAARRRRRGH." As les enfants say online, lol just lol.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The nightmare scene was indulgent and dumb, otherwise I agree.

It's funny Aquaman was the best character in the Whedon version, he was only improved here, but is now the worst and least developed character.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

They teach you in school how to vary your voice, to embue it with authority or whimsy, or whatever choice you want.

This is not how they teach you to act, by the way.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The nightmare scene was indulgent and dumb, otherwise I agree.

It's funny Aquaman was the best character in the Whedon version, he was only improved here, but is now the worst and least developed character.

This is because this film was cyborg's origin story, if we're trying to identify any kind of classical story structure. Then of course we needed Gal reading lines in a sound booth in Tel Aviv.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Shageletic posted:

Her line readings are amazingly bad, which is not a good thing when it underlies like 10 mins of dialogue less action. They teach you in school how to vary your voice, to embue it with authority or whimsy, or whatever choice you want. And I think her choice 100 percent of the time is "sleepily telling you about a happy dream she had once she can't quite remember".

i see someone went to the tairy green school of acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x068o6Wtw4

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shageletic posted:

They teach you in school how to vary your voice, to embue it with authority or whimsy, or whatever choice you want.

It's that what your acting coach taught you? My acting coach taught me a different lesson, dying in the gutter for no reason at all. He taught me line reads only make sense if you force them to.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Gal Gadot's pretty bad, like as an actress & person. She's best used quietly, and even then I still think they could have got someone bulkier.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We're just lucky it wasn't Gina Carano

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

commielingus posted:

Finally finished this movie, and it is undoubtedly one of the worst and most pretentious films I’ve ever seen. It possessed the usual excess of Snyder CGI/slo-mo canvassed over a uniquely tedious, incoherent, melodramatic narrative the Christian Scientist director is famous for creating. It was so dull I had to watch it one hour at a time in order to make it through. Leto’s Joker did look better than that Suicide Squad version of his a few years back; too bad about the horrendous dialogue, though.

2/10

how is one of the worst movies you've ever seen still a 2/10

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The apocalypse scene isn’t that indulgent. It goes on for a while longer than it strictly needs to, because of the Jokester monologue, but it’s an important part of the narrative.

The SnyderCut’s actual indulgence is that it has like eight or nine different (slightly redundant) opening scenes. I would personally restructure it so that the Superman death scream occurs later in the film, as a series of flashbacks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The apocalypse scene isn’t that indulgent. It goes on for a while longer than it strictly needs to, because of the Jokester monologue, but it’s an important part of the narrative.

The SnyderCut’s actual indulgence is that it has like eight or nine different (slightly redundant) opening scenes. I would personally restructure it so that the Superman death scream occurs later in the film, as a series of flashbacks.

Probably in the scene where they all theorize his scream woke the boxes up

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the streaming format was perfect for this kind of film (even though it would’ve looked great on a big screen) with the chapter divisions providing natural points to pause the movie, grab a snack, take a piss, whatever. It felt more like watching a well-paced mini-series rather than an overly long movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's that what your acting coach taught you? My acting coach taught me a different lesson, dying in the gutter for no reason at all. He taught me line reads only make sense if you force them to.

I have to be honest I know poo poo about acting.

But I know what I like.

Didn't like that

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Honestly Whedon is laughably terrible but Adrienne Palicki is a great choice. Very charismatic.

E: just saw the costume they put her in. Lol, goddamn you Whedon

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

She also at least learned to stop tweeting dumb stuff.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

They should make the superman yell a rhythm game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyPgGeMwBE4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

ZSJL is absolutely incredible and while it's a bummer that you don't see how great it is the way I and many others do, that's totally cool. People like different things :)