Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Man, no GNRS weed pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
will be traded OTC

:rip:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Man, no GNRS weed pop

Yeah I'm down 5.69% on this one and think I'll set an order to bail out. Possibly sticking through merger I get back to my 10.56 a share but I'm hoping I can put the money into something better and get that time value to work for me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

have there been any good DA bumps at all lately? like since cciv?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've been questioning the faith lately. It's funny because playing the sub-$11 strategy you tell yourself, "Well the worst that can happen is you lose ~10% and some opportunity cost." And you feel safe.

Then you lose 10% and some opportunity cost and you're like gently caress.

(I'm actually still net positive with my current holdings thanks to low cost basis on IPOD/IPOF/PSTH, but still.)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

have there been any good DA bumps at all lately? like since cciv?

No, we're working through a crop of poo poo mergers from the Dark Times.

ALTU/NSH/NGAC/ALUS/AACQ are a better bet than just about anything else right now, at around 10.50 a pop.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

FistEnergy posted:

No, we're working through a crop of poo poo mergers from the Dark Times.

ALTU/NSH/NGAC/ALUS/AACQ are a better bet than just about anything else right now, at around 10.50 a pop.

These have already popped and fallen. The market has "recovered" from the minor blip last month. Why are we confident these will run up prior to merger?

I'm just thinking that everyone has the playbook now and we're all racing to the bottom to cash out ASAP. I don't know how many bagholders we're going to find who are willing to buy the SPACs at 50%+ over nav and carry them across a highly dilutive merger.

Maybe now we just ignore SPACs and just see how these companies shake out after merger? :/

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are peoples feelings on PSTH at this point?

I have two contracts worth of calls with a strike off 22.50 expiring this week. I could sell them for meh profits, but I sort of believe in PSTH being able to land something significant so I'm actually considering executing them for the 200 stocks at around a 4,500 investment. It's hard to imagine they merge with something that isn't worth at least 30 bucks in the long term and if they do nab something like Stripe I can imagine the stock price being quite high.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
If I understand correctly, they don't need to merge with just one company and can split the trust among multiple mergers.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Girbot posted:

If I understand correctly, they don't need to merge with just one company and can split the trust among multiple mergers.

Ah, that is potentially a lot less exciting. Their leadership team is excellent though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

another signed DA followed by a selloff on the same day

https://twitter.com/spencerrascoff/status/1372537060830048262?s=20

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
where's my money joeSPACs

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Trying to be patient these days but RED

e: I did split my ADERU and DHHCU today. I guess that's the small consolation for being so heavy into pre-split SPACs. Cost basis is usually between $10.50 and $11. And even as beaten down as they are now, warrants are still going for around a buck. So if I really want to hit eject, the loss isn't quite so bad. More than a can say for post-DA buys like ALUS!

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 19, 2021

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This poo poo sucks. gently caress short sellers. gently caress bonds. gently caress everyone who IPOed 80000 spacs.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling that I missed the SPAC train. Almost everything I have has been red since I got in last month... Fortunately I didn't put much in, but still.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Eh, even if the SPAC train really is over the safety of the NAV floor means you can wait it out and see. At this point opportunity cost is all that's left for most of these

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling that I missed the SPAC train. Almost everything I have has been red since I got in last month... Fortunately I didn't put much in, but still.

I think SPACs are fine if you are patient enough to wait for big pullbacks and only buy at NAV. And no, buying at 10.90 is not near NAV. I think a lot of people in this thread have learned that they are not okay with a 9% drop that doesn’t immediately recover.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

laxbro posted:

I think SPACs are fine if you are patient enough to wait for big pullbacks and only buy at NAV. And no, buying at 10.90 is not near NAV. I think a lot of people in this thread have learned that they are not okay with a 9% drop that doesn’t immediately recover.

I've got some stuff that's like .10-.12 below nav =(

Lucky all my positions in SPACs were picked up pretty dang close to NAV so it hasn't burned my account or anything.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
the Waiting is the hardest part....

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Probably better off learning simple options plays if you want to actively gamble with defined risk.

SPACs are fun though. And I bet the mania will build again within the next few months.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
As a concept, it seems like SPACs won’t just permanently suck like they have for the past couple of weeks. Maybe the hype is over but all the DAs I know of have been extremely lackluster? I dunno it’s weird to see stuff that was close to $11 3 weeks ago in the 9.90s. Unless CCIV really was a huge last hurrah

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tetramin posted:

As a concept, it seems like SPACs won’t just permanently suck like they have for the past couple of weeks. Maybe the hype is over but all the DAs I know of have been extremely lackluster? I dunno it’s weird to see stuff that was close to $11 3 weeks ago in the 9.90s. Unless CCIV really was a huge last hurrah

If the reason the DAs are lovely is because there's too many SPACs eager to sign lovely deals after the hype caused more money to pour into more and more spacs, then the only thing that would reverse that trend is for the sector to get less buyer-crowded

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Does anyone have any clue what’s going on with BTAQ?

Both today and yesterday there were huge pops around the same time, for no reason I can see.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Does anyone have any clue what’s going on with BTAQ?

Both today and yesterday there were huge pops around the same time, for no reason I can see.

They were rumored for Storedot by a message board, that's about all I've seen so far. Very loose speculation and maybe some wise guys loading up?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Shear Modulus posted:

If the reason the DAs are lovely is because there's too many SPACs eager to sign lovely deals after the hype caused more money to pour into more and more spacs, then the only thing that would reverse that trend is for the sector to get less buyer-crowded

I think the combination of millions of SPACs getting listed (and the difficulty for any retail investor to keep track of every single one of them), possibly a dilution of retail investor money across a large number of them, a lack of good quality targets, a number of bad takeover deals, and the recent move away from speculative tech stocks has made them suck.

Certainly I see no reason why things shouldn't return more or less to normal once this glut subsides.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
SPACs were terrible even before the hype, though. They're not new.

What was new was goons yelling that you couldn't possibly lose any money investing in them.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Oh good, we've hit the "very smart person tells you they knew something was bad all along despite never posting about it :smug:" phase

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

Oh good, we've hit the "very smart person tells you they knew something was bad all along despite never posting about it :smug:" phase

More like "the obvious happened"

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Nice rap sheet you've got there, I can tell we should definitely listen to what you have to say.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shappa posted:

Nice rap sheet you've got there, I can tell we should definitely listen to what you have to say.

Is that supposed to be some kind of weird "own"?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Spacs took a poo poo. It happens. The issue is a glut of spacs, some real overvalued deals and a rotation out of growth.

I don't think you'll see the sort of pre-loi or pre-da growth again we saw before. I've rotated into post da premerger stuff that was depressed.

And prayer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

I think the combination of millions of SPACs getting listed (and the difficulty for any retail investor to keep track of every single one of them), possibly a dilution of retail investor money across a large number of them, a lack of good quality targets, a number of bad takeover deals, and the recent move away from speculative tech stocks has made them suck.

Certainly I see no reason why things shouldn't return more or less to normal once this glut subsides.

It's 95% the latter. Rising rates discount the value of future earnings and SPAC earnings are generally a long ways away.

The environment many of us have been trading in since the fall was really the anomaly, with historically low treasury yields making speculation particularly lucrative. That gravy train is over as far as I can tell. I'm sure there are still some great targets in the mix, but I think if we get a few more mergers that immediately tank to $9 and below, a lot of the speculative momentum will exit the space.

I actually don't totally buy the logic behind buying post-DA SPACs at discount prices either. I guess if your thesis is that this recent downturn is a blip, then sure, but those companies could just as easily tank after merger.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 20, 2021

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
As long as you buy in near NAV they only need go from $10 to $11 to turn a moderate profit.

It’s more believable than just following Chamath the money shaman

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

As long as you buy in near NAV they only need go from $10 to $11 to turn a moderate profit.

It’s more believable than just following Chamath the money shaman

But they can also go below $10 and stay there for a while, right? The NAV floor applies only if the whole thing falls apart?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

But they can also go below $10 and stay there for a while, right? The NAV floor applies only if the whole thing falls apart?

They can go below $10 and stay there for a while, but even if they have a "successful" merger you can ask for your $10 back instead if it stays below $10 up to the merger. So it's just opportunity cost. That's why they don't tend to go very far below $10, if it dropped to something like $9 you'd have a guaranteed 11% gain that you just have to wait for.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Valasquez posted:

They can go below $10 and stay there for a while, but even if they have a "successful" merger you can ask for your $10 back instead if it stays below $10 up to the merger. So it's just opportunity cost. That's why they don't tend to go very far below $10, if it dropped to something like $9 you'd have a guaranteed 11% gain that you just have to wait for.

Interesting. How does one "ask for the $10 back" when buying units via a brokerage?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Speaking of the $10 floor, have any of these actually gone under $10 after a DA and actual merger vote? What would happen in that scenario where an SPAC acquired some god awful company that the entire market hates, and the price is under $10 at the time the new ticker is created?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Tetramin posted:

Speaking of the $10 floor, have any of these actually gone under $10 after a DA and actual merger vote? What would happen in that scenario where an SPAC acquired some god awful company that the entire market hates, and the price is under $10 at the time the new ticker is created?

Clvr hit 8 right after merger. I loaded the truck.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tetramin posted:

Probably somewhat depends on your broker, but ahead of the merger as a stockholder you should get a packet for the merger vote and that should tell you the process for redemption

Here's someone who did it for CCXX which dropped as low as $9 leading up to the merger:
https://optionsly.substack.com/p/redeeming-a-spac-for-cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Interesting. How does one "ask for the $10 back" when buying units via a brokerage?

Read the prospectus. Redemptions have a huge impact on SPACs.

You all need read this report from Stanford and NYU law: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3720919.

"A key feature of SPACs is their generous redemption right. At the time a merger is proposed, shareholders can redeem their shares for the $10 priceof units sold in the SPAC’s IPO, plus interest—and keep their warrants and rights to boot. This redemption right raises the possibility that, when a SPAC merges, it will have to obtain new equity to meet a target’s cash needs. In this section, we analyze the extent to which SPAC shareholders redeem their shares, and the extent to which SPACs refinance through private placements."