Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

anatomi posted:

I want a mod that lets me train drakes to transport goods for me. Imaging having a drake drop off a bunch of iron at your main HQ and then going to roost in the nest made of greydwarf trophies.

That's the best solution for metal doesn't go through portals I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell, train all the animals. make a base on a troll

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm imagining drakes dropping eggs and then hatching them in some kind of hatchery or nest. The portals already simulate travel time so there's some kind of precedent for simulating motion through unloaded spaces.

There could even be some kind of chance of a drake getting waylaid and then you need to do a boat expedition to go retrieve it's cargo from a troll or Fuling raiding party.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Scruffpuff posted:

That said, if the world suddenly busted your rear end because you downed boss 5 or whatever, if you were playing on a shared server with friends who just like puttering around the meadows, that would be a great way to regularly hand them their asses for no reason.
Yea see that wouldn't be a problem if they didn't keep escalating and widening that gap. It should go horizontal from here, each place offering different challenges instead of the simple "number go up" that trivializes older content

Jackard fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Mar 20, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

longboat is a beak thing, i know, i know, it's serious

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

PittTheElder posted:

Oh that's a very good point. Bonemass is actually very skipable, I forgot how critical Moder is.

Bonemass and Eikthar are skippable, Elder and Modor are not

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

longboat is a beak thing, i know, i know, it's serious

Gonna need a baka things mod for valheim now

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Saucer Hovers posted:

VENDOR WHERE JESUS CHRIST

Put your seed into here and turn on the option to show trader options. http://valheim-map.world/ The trader will spawn at whichever of the displayed locations you visit first.

Alternately, the trader shows up on the map if you get close enough. You don't even have to see him, just be in the right general area.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

litany of gulps posted:

Every single time I take my longship instead of a karve I regret it. I went sea serpent hunting and I thought surely, surely this was the one area where the longship would shine. It has the durability, the broad deck for fighting, the speed. But none of that matters because if you go too fast the abyssal harpoon line breaks and you lose the serpent anyway. It's just a fat turd of a ship that gets bogged down on every random rock that you can't see because it's a fat turd of a ship.

100% disagree with this. Love the longship; wanted to keep the karve for rivers but I quickly got good enough that it's totally unnecessary and the more deliberate approach required makes sailing a lot more interesting.

It can be wicked pain in the rear end to get unstuck if you gently caress up though so I can see the source of frustration. It's a literal counter intuitive sometimes because you need to turn into the rock you're going around to get space, and you have to avoid the urge to turn away from something to get more clearance because you'll go from fine to not fine very quick if you do it close to the obstacle.

xzzy posted:

If they ever do an overhaul of the game systems I'd like to see them do looping tiers of enemies and armor tiers. Like as you push further from the center of the world you unlock Black Forest mark 2 with Red Trolls that hit harder than furlings, but you need to get to the sweet Copper 2 veins in that area. And after you work through Iron 2 and Silver 2 and Black Ore 2 you loop around again to Copper 3.

Or if everyone hates that, some kind of system that motivates people to keep pushing further out into the world and finding new stuff to conquer.

This is basically new game plus and I love it. As alternative to scaling as you get further away you could also do it as a portal you can construct to the next altar. Would let you bring in things that aren't ore so it's not a complete wipe.

Alternatively just do what you said and make the biomes repeat past a certain longitude. Just do some palette swaps and through some prefixes around like "enchanted".

At a minimum being able to select a new game plus option when starting a new seed.

Implementing one of these would also give players an opportunity to experience new content that comes out that they have already surpassed.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 20, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Main thing I want is just either bronze bars to produce 2 at a time for 2 copper 1 tin, or lower the HP of the copper veins so you spend less time whacking them for a 50% chance of one copper.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i dont really mind that bronze is a pain to make. that's the big reason iron surpassed it. Iron isnt really much harder than bronze but its way easier to mass produce.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Bronze should be 1:1 to the inputs, it's not exactly a lossy alloy process

Make tin a little more rare, and make it 11 copper + 1 tin = 12 bronze

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Which items should I prioritize with iron?

We have about 50 bars from the first crypt. I made a stone cutter, but we're torn about which items we need to make first for biggest QoL improvement. Pickaxe? Armor? Weapons?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bioshuffle posted:

We have about 50 bars from the first crypt. I made a stone cutter, but we're torn about which items we need to make first for biggest QoL improvement. Pickaxe? Armor? Weapons?

axe + pick you want maxed out ASAP. pick is probably first. everything else is way less important.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

axe + pick you want maxed out ASAP everything else is way less important.

Well the shield is pretty important.

My order would be pickaxe, shield, axe, then whatever.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

xzzy posted:

Well the shield is pretty important.

My order would be pickaxe, shield, axe, then whatever.

oh drat yeah you're totally right. others have said it but you definitely want to skip the tower shield too.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Azhais posted:

Bronze should be 1:1 to the inputs, it's not exactly a lossy alloy process

Make tin a little more rare, and make it 11 copper + 1 tin = 12 bronze

Bronze equipment requires far less mats then equivalent iron equipment. If they made the recipe 1:1 they would have to increase those recipes commensurately.

The current setup actually makes bronze nominally easier because you can consolidate by smelting/forging on site. It's questionable whether that's worthwhile because at that point in the game you're outposts aren't that well-equipped so why not make the items there too... but it is useful if you're stuck transporting bronze by hand.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

Silver requires a iron pickaxe, iron helmet is the best first armor improvement since it has no movement penalty and the same armor rating as full body armor for some reason, banded shields are great, iron axe is a little speedier then the bronze one but it'll be outdated if you kill the next boss quickly, iron mace is a good weapon for bashing most enemies.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
After beating Moder, I think she's the 2nd easiest boss after Eikthyr.

Do you have a frost resistance potion? Do you have 2 stacks of good arrows? Great. Stay at range and run away from her very telegraphed attacks until she dies.

I had a golem chasing me for half the fight, and wolf respawns when she got down to 1/4 HP, and it was still less of a hassle than Elder or Bonemass.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like the shield and pickaxe first. Pick lets you get more iron (I'm a sucker for durability)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not just strict vertical progression though, there's some horizontal there based on crafting knowledge, and it's not just a sandbox survival game either, since "survival" itself is a non-issue. It's a hybrid approach that gives some survival sandbox elements, skips the hardcore survival stuff, and adds clear progression goals. It's done a good job of bridging the genres and attracting players who are fans of both. It has a bit of the world getting harder as you down bosses, but not nearly enough to make it feel like you keep needing to stay on your toes in earlier biomes, as people have pointed out. That said, if the world suddenly busted your rear end because you downed boss 5 or whatever, if you were playing on a shared server with friends who just like puttering around the meadows, that would be a great way to regularly hand them their asses for no reason. Part of the game's success is due to people of all levels being able to play together regardless of advancement, so I'd be hesitant to mess with the current layout.

It's an interesting balance and player engagement problem, made more sticky by the fact that they've managed to merge two distinct types of player into a single game, an example of whose outlooks can be seen in "deathsquitos are the worst" vs "WTF are you talking about deathsquitos don't so poo poo" argument.

I think all that's going to be needed in the end is a handful more biomes, and a change in density as you near the edges of the world. Smaller and less frequent meadows areas, more and larger mistlands or whatever, and the deep north and ashlands areas could be set up as a type of "end game" zone with unique and challenging hazards. Since there are only 5 completed (or mostly completed) biomes now there's plenty of space for them to play with the difficulty in the upcoming areas.

The only progression that really fucks new players over is precisely killing boss 5, because that makes goblins spawn in all biomes at night, and there isn't a single construction or armor that would make someone in a pre-iron stage safe from them. They will just obliterate wood construction and one shot anyone without at least wolf armor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't think I've seen night goblins around my non plains bases even post boss 5 kill, it's still just all dwarves all the time

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Clitch posted:

After beating Moder, I think she's the 2nd easiest boss after Eikthyr.

Do you have a frost resistance potion? Do you have 2 stacks of good arrows? Great. Stay at range and run away from her very telegraphed attacks until she dies.

I had a golem chasing me for half the fight, and wolf respawns when she got down to 1/4 HP, and it was still less of a hassle than Elder or Bonemass.

You don't even have to stay away with Moder, just stab her repeatedly with a spear when she lands and dodge out of the telegraphed attack with a 2 year windup time.

Or don't, because you can tank it and just regenerate.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
She also can't cope with you getting close, she spent the whole fight in a slow pirouette trying to attack me when I was wedged between her neck and leg

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I highly recommend leaving a dedicated portal next to geysers in the swamp, especially if you have a few clustered together. Dig down the ground so surtlings spawn and die in the water instantly whenever you hop in the portal and you'll get free passive coal piles filling your chests or fueling your smelting in no time.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Azhais posted:

I don't think I've seen night goblins around my non plains bases even post boss 5 kill, it's still just all dwarves all the time

I don't know if there is a server setting for that, but I have def seen goblins in black forrests after our kill, and another player in this thread even reported seeing them inside their base:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

post boss five spoilers:

Yes it's true. After the boss fight we were all going back to base and I decided to return to our original meadows outpost. As soon as I came out of the teleporter there were four goblins inside our base standing right there ready to swing on me. If you have people who are trying to move at their own pace then definitely hold off on the fifth boss or at least give them a heads up that they might want to move to their own server

Apparently you can use a cheat code to reset the status of the boss, but other than that...

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/co...web2x&context=3

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Box posted:

I highly recommend leaving a dedicated portal next to geysers in the swamp, especially if you have a few clustered together. Dig down the ground so surtlings spawn and die in the water instantly whenever you hop in the portal and you'll get free passive coal piles filling your chests or fueling your smelting in no time.

There are other places in the world that this also works

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I sailed for the first time and discovered more of my starting continent because it's just THAT BIG. To confirm this I ran all the way home and decided it was time to start mapping the coast. So I ran and ran, there were 2 nights where I built camps in a meadows biomes. I ran a long way, found a merchant dude too. Then I went deep into a plains biome and now all my gear is unrecoverable because of deathsquitos.

Death can be pretty unforgiving. Not only did I lose all my stuff, I was faced with starting from nothing because I was isolated so far from home. There were multiple swamp/black forest biomes between me and everything else I had. Running through the swamps meant 1-hit instadeath. I was going to give up entirely and start a new world if I couldn't make it in 3 tries. I was wondering what the "dark souls" part of this game was and naked man running and juking enemies or dying definitely feels like dark souls to me. Anyways I made it but gently caress I do not want to grind back to a level 3 bronze axe again. :geno:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I sailed for the first time and discovered more of my starting continent because it's just THAT BIG. To confirm this I ran all the way home and decided it was time to start mapping the coast. So I ran and ran, there were 2 nights where I built camps in a meadows biomes. I ran a long way, found a merchant dude too. Then I went deep into a plains biome and now all my gear is unrecoverable because of deathsquitos.

Death can be pretty unforgiving. Not only did I lose all my stuff, I was faced with starting from nothing because I was isolated so far from home. There were multiple swamp/black forest biomes between me and everything else I had. Running through the swamps meant 1-hit instadeath. I was going to give up entirely and start a new world if I couldn't make it in 3 tries. I was wondering what the "dark souls" part of this game was and naked man running and juking enemies or dying definitely feels like dark souls to me. Anyways I made it but gently caress I do not want to grind back to a level 3 bronze axe again. :geno:

If it's a server that you are ok with sharing, any number of well equipped players can help you recover your stuff from plains. There is a body recovery squad that does that online somewhere, but i am sure that a number of goons with padded armor could help out if it is something you care about.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

joepinetree posted:

If it's a server that you are ok with sharing, any number of well equipped players can help you recover your stuff from plains. There is a body recovery squad that does that online somewhere, but i am sure that a number of goons with padded armor could help out if it is something you care about.

Yeah, I'd help out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's a local save I'd enable cheats and use godmode to get your stuff back after making a reasonable effort to do it the correct way.

I appreciate a game being challenging but there's no rationale for being demoted back to day 1 just because you got too close to stuff three tiers above you.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Sanctum posted:

Stuff like that is easily avoidable by planning ahead, instead of sleeping in some shack in the middle of nowhere make a portal back to base to drop off what you gather and resupply and get rested, if you are trying to get your body back in deathsquito territory all you need is a bow and wooden arrows and you can kill them before they touch you or just dodge when they get close, everything else can be ran away from while naked.

When you go somewhere dangerous just consider what would be the worst case scenario if you died in that place and how long it would take you to get back and make sure it won't take very long by foot or boat and avoid setting your spawn location somewhere bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Khanstant posted:

I wish a troll invasion was mandatory your first week in the Black Forest or something. By the time we got one, trolls were a joke. The one time they caused us any trouble was using a tree my buddy built his castle off of and a few parts of it collapsed

I dunno, my friend quit nearly instantly after playing solo and getting a troll raid against him. He wasn't any good at combat and didn't understand how to kite them and they just trashed the entire wooden base and killed him, he was trying to sleep to make it go away. Stone would have lasted longer but not much longer

I'm pretty happy with our giant bases not having huge moats - we get trolls, but since I killed bosses 3-5 in single player, nothing else notable. Means we don't have to go too crazy on defense, but standing around afk isn't a great idea in case of trolls wrecking poo poo

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

Iron mace is a definite. Trivializes skeletons, and makes it possible to kill blobs before they can get their poison cloud off (especially if you get an arrow in them first).

I made a fully upgraded ancient bark spear towards the end of my Swamps time (as if it ever ends) in prep for for the mountains and that thing owns bones and looks cool (though making the silver-tier equivalent is so cheap I question the actual advantage of not waiting to make that).

The spear is loving awesome in the mountains; can hit up slopes better than anything, and can get hits on/stun wolves off a normal block if you miss the parry. With the way the drakes like to come straight in to attack I'm wondering while I'm writing this if I can't bullseye the bastards when they stop to "fire".

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I skipped iron pick entirely until it turned out that I was forced to get it before starting in the mountains. Upgraded copper was totally fine through the crypts. I vote for iron mace, shield, bow first. I still never got iron axe but I'm a mace primary.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lakitu7 posted:

I skipped iron pick entirely until it turned out that I was forced to get it before starting in the mountains. Upgraded copper was totally fine through the crypts. I vote for iron mace, shield, bow first. I still never got iron axe but I'm a mace primary.

I keep forgetting the iron bow exists, my fine wood bow is making GBS threads all over stuff in the mountains.

I can't believe I forgot the shield, that should be #1 first priority; especially since it doesn't take much iron to make.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I ran wood shield until I could get banded shield (then again to black metal), jumped from antler pickaxe to iron pickaxe when I needed it for silver, jumped from troll armor to wolf (silver) armor, then again to padded, from bronze to black metal axe, and from club to iron mace to frostner (silver) with a bit of black metal dagger
Oh and finewood bow to draugr fang bow

You can skip a LOT of tiers in each area. Silver is a huge upgrade across the board for most things, and then black metal a bit of a bump up from there.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 20, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

I ran wood shield until I could get banded shield (then again to black metal), jumped from antler pickaxe to iron pickaxe when I needed it for silver, jumped from troll armor to wolf (silver) armor, then again to padded, from bronze to black metal axe, and from club to iron mace to frostner (silver) with a bit of black metal dagger
Oh and finewood bow to draugr fang bow

You can skip a LOT of tiers in each area. Silver is a huge upgrade across the board for most things, and then black metal a bit of a bump up from there.

Honestly with few exceptions almost anything is skippable on the tiers I've reached so far (mountains), it really comes down to two questions:

1) How much you want to "win" by becoming unstoppable (i.e. the traditional RPG level-up/equipment grind) versus player skill, and this is really a continuum and not a binary choice.

2) How much you actually even care about "winning"/getting to the end. This game is great at being different things for different people so I'm not trying to talk down on anyone's choices, but I'm really enjoying this game as the journey not the destination. I skipped bronze armor not because I was trying to min/max but because I thought the hooded style of the troll armor was cool looking for my (at the time) bow-heavy combat style (skipped the iron helm for a long time too so I could keep the cloak+hood combo). IMO after you hit the mandatory stuff (shield, mace, probably at least some armor, and pickaxe for Iron) just make what makes your Viking heart happy.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

LLSix posted:

Put your seed into here and turn on the option to show trader options. http://valheim-map.world/ The trader will spawn at whichever of the displayed locations you visit first.

Alternately, the trader shows up on the map if you get close enough. You don't even have to see him, just be in the right general area.
cheeeeeeeeeeeat?????
dont make me post my map im doing an effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

cheeeeeeeeeeeat?????
dont make me post my map im doing an effort

I'm in the same boat, almost 100 hours in and still no trader. I basically have a scrooge mcduck vault in my bedroom from all the unspent coins and unsold gems.