Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
what i learned from drive to survive is that stroll is going to somehow be even faster in the beautiful green car. Most confusing statement was from whoever said that Giovinazzi is seriously quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I heard you can’t be a formula one driver without being quick... but I don’t believe it

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Why does Mazepin have Moscow State University at the center of his race suit instead of Haas?

This team is totally getting sold this year, isn’t it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Gonna call Carlos Smooth Carl from now on

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Dts3 seems really straightjacketed by the format. Would have preferred they did a proper Monza ep, perhaps even make that an hour long, rather than splitting it up into sections in other eps. because they don't want to do a "season review" type thing they cut everything up, but the context is what makes things so interesting. Needs a Snyder cut/arrested development cut.

The grosjean ep felt weirdly over the top and also lacking in impact. You don't need to dress up the most visually impressive crash in modern f1 with slow Mo and cheat with the cuts to make it look long. I would have rather they showed it in real time because that brings home that it isn't loving Hollywood.

2020 was so nuts that DTS somehow can't measure up

Pretty clear that Netflix didn't put the boot into Ferrari because they want access in future years and it still looks like a clown show. You can't jack yourself off about passione and traditione when you are doing crape, and seb taking the piss out of the Ferrari team members who Enzo would have loving murdered is beautiful.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I loved that interaction with the PR lady when Seb was like "it IS the truth!"...

"Okay."

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Seb still doesn't realize that they fired him for sucking.
Netflix Is trying to make beatifull Silvia Hoffer the bad guy at Ferrari while she may be the only reason they got access to the team in the first place

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I don't think she comes off like a bad guy. Just trying to do her job. It's interesting insight into how Ferrari want to be perceived.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

Dts3 seems really straightjacketed by the format. Would have preferred they did a proper Monza ep, perhaps even make that an hour long, rather than splitting it up into sections in other eps. because they don't want to do a "season review" type thing they cut everything up, but the context is what makes things so interesting. Needs a Snyder cut/arrested development cut.

The grosjean ep felt weirdly over the top and also lacking in impact. You don't need to dress up the most visually impressive crash in modern f1 with slow Mo and cheat with the cuts to make it look long. I would have rather they showed it in real time because that brings home that it isn't loving Hollywood.

2020 was so nuts that DTS somehow can't measure up

Pretty clear that Netflix didn't put the boot into Ferrari because they want access in future years and it still looks like a clown show. You can't jack yourself off about passione and traditione when you are doing crape, and seb taking the piss out of the Ferrari team members who Enzo would have loving murdered is beautiful.

The entire Drive to Survive experience is them taking something that's already dramatic and editing it to seem dramatic in a different way. I can barely watch it.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

A couple things now that I’ve finished the series:

1) They did not spend near enough time on how alienating COVID made the season, it was wild and a fascinating thing they could’ve explored more than they did.

2) Lol if you’d not seen the actual season they make you wait like 15 min before telling you Grossjean survived while also dropping hints that he probably died that entire 15 min period.

It was a fascinating season so there’s no way they could have made something not interesting, but they dropped the ball a lot. They also hardly explored the Russel Merc race which was one of the most compelling things that happened last year.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah the craziness of 2020 is hard to try and recapture and present in a different way than how it happened naturally.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish they'd find a way to narrate things without doing fake commentary

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

your friend wicka posted:

The entire Drive to Survive experience is them taking something that's already dramatic and editing it to seem dramatic in a different way. I can barely watch it.

They are trying to make it into a parody, I think, to attract new fans? Like some people might watch this and think “this is all fake as poo poo, no way it’s this dramatic” and we have to be the ones to say “actually, it’s more dramatic than this. This is just a strange version of it all.”

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It’s racist that they always put subtitles for Cyril.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't think I could properly explain how absurd some of F1 is. Stuff like hamilton complaining every race about his tyres while 30 seconds ahead.

Do they make a big deal of hamilton winning on 3 wheels? His tyre blew up on the last lap, I still don't get why it was ~~so AmaZIng~~

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I appreciate it covers some stuff that you don't get to see from the TV feeds. If they just redid the season as we experienced it, it wouldn't be as compelling for fans like me who watched all the races.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Lou Takki posted:

I appreciate it covers some stuff that you don't get to see from the TV feeds. If they just redid the season as we experienced it, it wouldn't be as compelling for fans like me who watched all the races.

That would actually be interesting to watch for me at least.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FIA Season review does all of that though, this is supposed to be showing you all the stuff they won’t.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

learnincurve posted:

FIA Season review does all of that though, this is supposed to be showing you all the stuff they won’t.

Show us your dogs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aghhh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

ilmucche posted:

I don't think I could properly explain how absurd some of F1 is. Stuff like hamilton complaining every race about his tyres while 30 seconds ahead.

Do they make a big deal of hamilton winning on 3 wheels? His tyre blew up on the last lap, I still don't get why it was ~~so AmaZIng~~

Because it's inherently impressive to have a tyre explode and still get the car to the end and win

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I’ve been really happy with some of the editing and quotes they’ve chosen. It’s cool to see how the producers want to portray the different “characters” such as leaning Horner into “yeah, I’m a snitch and proud of it” energy. Or using a quote from Lance saying he doesn’t mind being in the shadow... which is singular, maybe that of Daddy Stroll, who they’ve made into a villain. They’ve done it several times, and it’s :discourse: each time I notice it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's funny that it shows all the team bosses coming in to the parking lot with these big money powerful car and Cyril comes in to Austria with a Megane.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
i love just how british horner house looks

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I like the wonky plastic flower tubs you can get from dobbies for £20 accessorising the entrance to his several million pound mansion.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hell yeah

Pacinamac
Jun 15, 2001
I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANY FORUM SPECIFIC RULES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TIME TAKEN AWAY FROM STICKING THINGS UP MY ASS
Lance's Dad seems pretty hardcore, looks like he means business. It would be nice to see a new team get up in the top 3 regularly.

What's the verdict on F1TV? Seems like a good deal at $20 per year...

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
lights out and away we go may be the dumbest catchphrase in sports

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Depends where you are, if you are in the U.K. you can only watch it on an app/force the Xbox browser to log in and you only get up to the last year’s races. In the US it’s on roku devices and great value.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I enjoyed the way the Racing Point meeting was edited so Big Daddy Stroll comes in all "You've got 30 minutes of my time, impress me" and then, because Netflix didn't want to bore everyone with engineering specifics, it looks like his underlings give him nothing but meaningless management blather.

How long before F1 has all teams owned by evil billionaires giving racing seats to their failsons, I wonder?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 20, 2021

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Zeta Acosta posted:

lights out and away we go may be the dumbest catchphrase in sports

Not when Forza Ferrari exists

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Payndz posted:

How long before F1 has all teams owned by evil billionaires giving racing seats to their failsons, I wonder?

I was gonna ask, I know F1 has always been a rich kid's sport, but how recent is the trend of daddies literally buying their sons seats or even their entire teams?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Lol

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tsaedje posted:

Not when Forza Ferrari exists
Just wait until some godawful social media gently caress or Chinese concrete oligarch or murderous Gulf king buys a controlling interest in Ferrari NV.

Edit: Oops, replied to wrong post.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 20, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
No! I would say I can’t believe it but yes of COURSE he has

From the F1 show

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I would hope it was a gift, but he is definitely enough of a bellend to have commissioned it himself

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just watched the gasly episode :unsmith:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

learnincurve posted:

It's this. It's stories you didn't see (properly) set in the context of an F1 season.
In a small part, it's also the same stories but told without the Sky F1 team's blithering self-indulgent wittering all over it.
The ferrari episode owned. The gasly episode is the same story we know pretty much, but nicely told.
Everything Gunther is great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Payndz posted:

[astronaut meme]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Khablam posted:

It's this. It's stories you didn't see (properly) set in the context of an F1 season.
In a small part, it's also the same stories but told without the Sky F1 team's blithering self-indulgent wittering all over it.
The ferrari episode owned. The gasly episode is the same story we know pretty much, but nicely told.
Everything Gunther is great.

I would watch a movie about Gunther getting into various silly situations, like when he had to go court the sponsors.