Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mr. Maltose posted:

My immediate thought would be to use a framework similar to The Skeletons, specifically the way that game plays with time and changing both the player's characters and the world.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Extremely my poo poo, would need a group you absolutely trusted not to be weird about it out-of-game.

You've collectively convinced me that this should be a parlor LARP with good safety rules, and I might have to write it one day.

Edit: Alternatively, someone else write it so I can play it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Bringing this tangent back to TG Industry topics: is it legally possible in the US to write a game that is explicitly set in, say, Middle-Earth, distribute it freely (i.e., never charging for it), and get it played at conventions without having something like the litigious Tolkien estate crashing down on your head or that of the convention? How far can a fan project in someone else's IP go?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Speaking from experience, only so far as you can go without being noticed. Try not to get written up as a fluff piece by any gaming outlets.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Chuubo's is the only true magical girl rpg

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

fez_machine posted:

Chuubo's is the only true magical girl rpg

It certainly works, in my experience.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Joe Slowboat posted:

It certainly works, in my experience.
So the mythical "person who could decipher Chuubo's" is real, then. Teach us your supernatural powers.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SkyeAuroline posted:

So the mythical "person who could decipher Chuubo's" is real, then. Teach us your supernatural powers.

Oh no I just had a good GM! We muddled through, it was a fun summer.

The real secret is probably muddling, idk.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The secret does kind of amount to "once you turn the whole machine on, it just works."

Although Glitch does describe a lot of its mechanisms in a more straightforward way. I think Chuubo shows the mark of Jenna trying to explain things because people had questions about her earlier work, but her earlier work wasn't actually confusing because it was underexplained; it was just very nonstandard structurally.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The secret to Chuubo is very much 'play to find out'. Just get it rolling and see how things develop.

I found it quite difficult to run because I struggled with the default pastoral setting, but when it sang it really sang.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, here's a related industry question: I know there was kind of a boom of magical girl indie games for a while, is that still happening? And, same question for mecha - has Lancer inspired more mecha games, or have Lancer and Beam Saber sort of ended that trend by taking up that air?

This pre-dates Lancer by a bit but Battle Century G is a pretty good mech game. Lancer's overshadowed it now in the "customizable mechs you fight in" category, but it's worth looking into still.

I'm a bit saddened Magical Burst never got to a formal release. It's Madoka-y but I think it'd be possible to hack to a more Sailor Moon-flavored "fight monsters, deal with personal drama" setting where you don't have to worry about poofing into a monster as a Madoka-esque fail state.

Kestral posted:

Bringing this tangent back to TG Industry topics: is it legally possible in the US to write a game that is explicitly set in, say, Middle-Earth, distribute it freely (i.e., never charging for it), and get it played at conventions without having something like the litigious Tolkien estate crashing down on your head or that of the convention? How far can a fan project in someone else's IP go?

Some IP holders wouldn't care, or may not easily notice due to being some international org or too big to bother, but with the Tolkein estate you're probably gambling against time like Leraika implied, before they notice and go aggro on you.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

So again as a genre outsider, it sounds like the key things to have for magical girls would be

Someone should make a metagame called 'genre outsider' where one person designs a small game about a franchise they know nothing about and have people who enjoy that franchise playtest it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

So again as a genre outsider, it sounds like the key things to have for magical girls would be

1) Internal character drama, eg self-doubt, wondering where you fit in, etc.
2) Interpersonal drama between PCs.
3) 1 and 2 are advanced and resolved through "helping others/innocents", which could take the form of stopping a disaster, beating up a baddie, evacuating people from danger, or other stressful situation which at first places strain on individuals and relationships but is resolved when (and because) that strain is overcome.
4) Fallout from that event starts a new cycle.

Sounds like a forged in the dark hack would work with the job/downtime structure, maybe with "stress" working backwards, ie something you build up in downtime as character drama and "spend" (resolve) during the job?

I think it's worth stressing this is for some series. Saying "magical girls are like-" is kind of like going "superheroes are like-" in that, yeah, sure, maybe superman stopping costumed villains robbing banks is easy to summarise but that doesn't summarise Runaways or Young Justice or Immortal Hulk or-

As a bunch of people correctly noted, a ton of magical girl series don't have fighting at all, they're just coming of age adventure/comedy series with a transformation gimmick.

To more specifically break it down:

1 and 2 are yeses but it's worth noting this is easy to make maudlin and magical girl series rarely are; archetypally (see above for disclaimer) they're very much "people make nice again in 22 minutes" shows. A game that had the Apocalypse World style "you can be friends working together or you can be rivals at each other's throats" ethos would fit poorly, because if a character's too depressed to help or too mad at their friend to fight with them or whatever, that's usually not a long-term character-defining issue. There's a villainous magical girl archetype who tends to sit in opposition to the girls despite some kind of tie to them, though; they'll spend most of the series fighting the girls and will turn good halfway through or towards the end.

3. Magical girl shows in the mould we're talking about are usually monster of the week shows; Sailor Moon's hugely influential and it set up the structure where a monster with a human disguise has some front for harvesting life energy from people that impacts a friend or community the girls care about, so they go beat the crap out of it. If there's a natural disaster, it's usually directly caused by the monsters. There's often a weak masquerade, but sometimes full; the usual relationship is that there's incomplete knowledge that monsters exist or strange disasters have happened, but I've never seen one where it does the superhero universe thing where people are kind of used to giant monsters attacking the city and will hope Cure Phantom shows up to save them like they might in a superhero comic. An extreme atypicality of the dark magical girl genre is usually that their magical elements are heavily hidden.

4. The shows are typically episodic with underlying myth arcs; having beaten the monster, it's usually just new monster time, not that the next scheme takes advantage of elements of the first. This could be mundane arcs ("fighting monsters all the time is ruining my dating life") or arcs tied to the supernatural ("Queen Galaxa's gaining a bit of negative energy every week and will soon be able to make it eternal night"). It's usually not event fallout as much as it is the way the event interlocked in their day to day lives.

I think you could run Blades that way but Blades is pretty proactive as a mechanical structure and most magical girl shows don't have their heroines actively hunting down danger, or if they do that's the niche one or two of them sit in; most are pretty reactive.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kestral posted:

Copyright is not about whether you charge money or add seventeen disclaimers promising that you're not taking credit for the IP in question--it's (broadly speaking) about using something that isn't yours. If you hold a copyright, it means you have extensive control over how the copyrighted work gets used. A fan project game can go until (1) the IP holder finds out, and (2) the IP holder's willingness and ability to take legal action exceeds the fan's willingness and ability to mount a legal defense. This is true even in cases where the fan project is built around a fair use exception, because while you may have legal standing to put out your (say) Middle Earth parody game, if you can't afford the lawyer to defend your claim, they can still shut you down.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

homullus posted:

Copyright is not about whether you charge money or add seventeen disclaimers promising that you're not taking credit for the IP in question--it's (broadly speaking) about using something that isn't yours. If you hold a copyright, it means you have extensive control over how the copyrighted work gets used. A fan project game can go until (1) the IP holder finds out, and (2) the IP holder's willingness and ability to take legal action exceeds the fan's willingness and ability to mount a legal defense. This is true even in cases where the fan project is built around a fair use exception, because while you may have legal standing to put out your (say) Middle Earth parody game, if you can't afford the lawyer to defend your claim, they can still shut you down.

You're conflating copyright and trademark. Copyright covers the actual expression of a work, while trademark covers the distinctive symbolic representations of a product or service.

Or, in other words: If you made a book that was paraphrases of Lord of the Rings all the way through with every character and location name swapped out and a new title, that would be a copyright violation but not a trademark violation. In contrast, if you made a book that was entirely original writing and storyline, and entirely original characters (to avoid the wibbly-wobbly bounds of copyright around character traits), but happened to strongly feature Middle-Earth names and locations and had a title using a distinctive phrase from Lord of the Rings, that would be a trademark violation but not a copyright violatioon.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 20, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Henshin! would be a good choice for such a thing.

Yeah, Henshin is the game I was thinking of. and that ticks all of the boxes.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Roadie posted:

You're conflating copyright and trademark. Copyright covers the actual expression of a work, while trademark covers the distinctive symbolic representations of a product or service.

Or, in other words: If you made a book that was paraphrases of Lord of the Rings all the way through with every character and location name swapped out and a new title, that would be a copyright violation but not a trademark violation. In contrast, if you made a book that was entirely original writing and storyline, and entirely original characters (to avoid the wibbly-wobbly bounds of copyright around character traits), but happened to strongly feature Middle-Earth names and locations and had a title using a distinctive phrase from Lord of the Rings, that would be a trademark violation but not a copyright violatioon.

I am not seeing where you are seeing the conflation of copyright and trademark. My example, a Middle Earth parody, is a fair use exception to copyright, but the fan would still have to prevail in court if the IP owner sued them, even if they had also avoided trademark infringement and/or dilution claims by the means you detailed. The original question was "how far can a fan game in another's IP go if they don't charge"; if the fan author can't afford a lawyer for their case, the fan work is very likely still done if the IP owner hears about it, feels aggrieved, and has resources the fan doesn't. Even if they don't charge, have disclaimers, and pinky swear that they have nothing but respect for the original work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Based on my pragmatic experience at Origins, you're not going to get popped for your fan RPG or even for registering for an event to run that fan RPG at a convention. Or at least, I doubt you would be, since there's a lot more litigious entities who seem to not give a gently caress. If you start distributing or selling it, even for cost, you might be in bigger trouble if it's explicitly Middle Earth: Brought To You By Me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

This pre-dates Lancer by a bit but Battle Century G is a pretty good mech game. Lancer's overshadowed it now in the "customizable mechs you fight in" category, but it's worth looking into still.

BCG was written by a goon! I sadly don't recall their username though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Probably Gimmick Man? Or at least that's the name of their LLC, they also did Monsterpunk.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Nessus posted:

Based on my pragmatic experience at Origins, you're not going to get popped for your fan RPG or even for registering for an event to run that fan RPG at a convention. Or at least, I doubt you would be, since there's a lot more litigious entities who seem to not give a gently caress. If you start distributing or selling it, even for cost, you might be in bigger trouble if it's explicitly Middle Earth: Brought To You By Me.
Yeah, there's a huge difference between non-commercial and commercial projects. Many IP holders will tolerate non-commercial projects but immediately bring the hammer down if money changes hands.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

WotC just can't help themselves, it seems.

https://twitter.com/POCGamer/status/1373847320370970626?s=19

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

https://twitter.com/POCGamer/status/1373849182386065411?s=20

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/POCGamer/status/1373862780311248898

Yikes

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

This loving SUCKS.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Amazing how the franchise that has been rooted in weird colonialist fantasies and doing the bare minimum about fixing it just went and took an eraser to a new race with lore and motive and made them 'primitive'. It's like they never want to let go.

I had hopes they were going to turn that car around but it seems they didn't. Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd were just a few years ago, after all.

I hope POCGamer gets compensated. Or if the contract has enough wiggle room, he can release a complete edition of his story on DMsGuild or something

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 22, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's not even a new race

Splicer posted:

Oh lord, here's the existing grippli

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Grippli

It's no wonder the designer picked them to rework into not a colonialist stereotype, and it makes this even worse

e:
WotC: we've made mistakes in the past and will do better in the future
a POC designer: here's a mistake from your past I made it better for the future
WotC: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (but only after the scary black person left the room and couldn't kick up a fuss)

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 22, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Splicer posted:

It's not even a new race

I thought the Grung and Bullywugs were the only frog races. Goddamn this is a mess.

Can't imagine what poo poo is going to be presented in Guide to Ravenloft if Wizards is this lazy or even reluctant.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I thought the Grung and Bullywugs were the only frog races. Goddamn this is a mess.

Can't imagine what poo poo is going to be presented in Guide to Ravenloft if Wizards is this lazy or even reluctant.

Definitely not lazy. Reluctant, maybe, but it sounds like they put some amount of effort into undoing PanzerLion's work here, so lazy absolutely doesn't apply.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DesertIslandHermit posted:

there's a bunch of other frog monsters, as well as an existing creator/progenitor race to tie them all together in the FR: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Batrachi my guess is that PoCGamer was tying the grippli into the batrachi, since he mentions deep FR lore and history as his focus that was cut.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

I came in here to see if anyone was talking about this. This poo poo is why I can't get excited when they hire a director of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Why I can't cheer when they hire good writers.

The same group of lovely white dudes still have the final cut. Mike Mearls and the people who refuse to fire Mike Mearls ARE D&D. They write regressive crap because that is who they are. They're happy to hire people from marginalized groups as long as they don't have to listen to any of them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jimbozig posted:

I came in here to see if anyone was talking about this. This poo poo is why I can't get excited when they hire a director of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Why I can't cheer when they hire good writers.

The same group of lovely white dudes still have the final cut. Mike Mearls and the people who refuse to fire Mike Mearls ARE D&D. They write regressive crap because that is who they are. They're happy to hire people from marginalized groups as long as they don't have to listen to any of them.

"Hire" seems like a strong word to use, given DC's experiences last year.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Can we make a :notracist: emote but for D&D?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

StratGoatCom posted:

I can't be racist, some of my best elves are Dark.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

there's a bunch of other frog monsters, as well as an existing creator/progenitor race to tie them all together in the FR: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Batrachi my guess is that PoCGamer was tying the grippli into the batrachi, since he mentions deep FR lore and history as his focus that was cut.

update: yes he was https://twitter.com/POCGamer/status/1374049019480076296

and it just gets worse and worse

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
^ That tweet is another thread, which ends with this nightmare of a tweet.

https://twitter.com/POCGamer/status/1374052068059582465

Really, this tweet feels like WotC in a nutshell.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
That loving sucks. POCGamer seems to get what is, to me, the reason to play in the Forgotten Realms: a massive well of weird-rear end lore going back into deep time, and he wrote an adventure emphasizing that. I can understand WotC not wanting to introduce a big whack of retcons, lore, and player options in a random adventure, but for god's sake the time and place for that feedback was in the submission phase. It would have been perfectly valid for Wizards to say, "We don't have a place in this book for the thing you want to create - pare it back to something simple, or we'll have to reject it," but to string him along without giving him notice and a chance to amend his work is unconscionable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder how much Price knew about this going down when she made that thread preemptively defending the book

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/POCGamer/status/1374068466014064646
Oh no it was perfect :(

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder how much Price knew about this going down when she made that thread preemptively defending the book
Wrong book. She was working on the Ravenloft book and was complaining about how people weren't giving it the benefit of the doubt because look at all the PoC on it which is still a horrible take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

StratGoatCom posted:

A bar that says ‘Not racist.’ but Nanny Pupu quickly shifts in and out of the right side of the bar.