Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How did this lawyer of all people come into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The first victim contacted him. Seeing someone willing to tell their story about someone who also treated others badly has the effect of making others more comfortable telling their story, we saw the same thing with Darren Sharper and Bill Cosby; seeing him do it made them comfortable coming to him over others because others might not be as willing to listen, or might be tempted to pursue their own agenda like trying to convince them to file a class action/grouped lawsuit which could have less chance of success

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wasn't the university of Colorado busted for pimping girls to recruits or something back around 00? Only recall it because that comes up every time Bienemy doesn't get a job.
Yeah, that all came to light after their female kicker said she was sexually assaulted by a teammate. If that wasn't bad enough, Gary Barnett (CU's head coach at the time) brushed off her allegations and called her a "terrible" player.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I guess a scumbag with profile still has profile.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Just catching up on all this. Deshaun is a greasy gently caress

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Still genuinely interested in hearing why this guy is a bad lawyer specifically. Rich, douchey, publicity-hungry for sure, but are there examples of him either outright fabricating cases or filing obviously frivolous suits?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Even if the dude is not the best lawyer, there's a difference between being a somewhat scummy personal injury lawyer (maybe worst case for this dude) and completely making up 22 women to file a suit. Watson is a scumbug.

It's also not just him and a fly-by-night operation, it's a law firm with quite a few associates. If anything, it seems his grandstanding and publicity is causing more victims to come forward, so if that his intent, it's working. He is, however, still extremely obnoxious

NicelyNice fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 20, 2021

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think the worry at this point is that his scuminess might comprise the case? By not invoking the police correctly or some such?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

tarbrush posted:

I think the worry at this point is that his scuminess might comprise the case? By not invoking the police correctly or some such?

Police don’t need anything from buzbee except the names of his clients. Everything from 2020 is still well within the statute of limitations for prosecution. I dunno if there is an SOL for sexual battery in Texas.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

NicelyNice posted:

Even if the dude is not the best lawyer, there's a difference between being a somewhat scummy personal injury lawyer (maybe worst case for this dude) and completely making up 22 women to file a suit. Watson is a scumbug.

It's also not just him and a fly-by-night operation, it's a law firm with quite a few associates. If anything, it seems his grandstanding and publicity is causing more victims to come forward, so if that his intent, it's working. He is, however, still extremely obnoxious

I can see there's a concern his scumminess might compromise the case, but it's possible that it also has the effect of focusing attention on him rather than the complainants, which is better for them I think. Buzbee appears to have no shame so he can probably handle negative publicity aimed at himself.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That clears everything up!

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1373284273529221125

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sataere posted:

This logic is flawed because they could do the bare minimum and just report the facts as we know them. How hard is it to say that 22 different woman are alleging sexual misconduct by one of the biggest quarterbacks in football? That is a simple statement of fact. They don't have to have opinions on the matter. Just address how serious this is and what future impact it'll have. Say something about not wanting to rush to judgment if you are afraid of consequences. But you can still address what is happening. In fact, it's their loving job.

I don't get where this idea that people are avoiding this is coming from. I went to ESPN, where a link about the case is in the top page sidebar, yahoo sports where it's not on the front page but is the very first thing when you click on their NFL page, and the Athletic where a story about it is one of the first 3 things you see. Its possible I'm seeing all this because I have the Texans selected as a team to follow but at least as far as ESPN I doubt that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I think Watson hired a clown lawyer as well.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A single accusation that's more than a year old will probably blow that explanation up, huh?

Also that explanation kind of blows that explanation up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao leaking parts of his defense plan like it's some primetime event.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a Texans fan I'm just here for the schadenfreude. gently caress it make it as entertaining as possible. I want the trial on ESPN every day.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I don't understand how soliciting women to sexually assault through Instragram is any better than doing it through more traditional means, but great defense, I guess?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nikosoft posted:

I don't understand how soliciting women to sexually assault through Instragram is any better than doing it through more traditional means, but great defense, I guess?

It’s an attempt to explain why he engaged with so many different women.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

nikosoft posted:

I think his planned defense is that he's just hiring all those girls to do like a genuine massage thing and they're making up their accusations, but there's a fundamental problem with that. Why the hell would you need a new one every time? Also if you're truly worried about covid why are you flying them from place to place?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s an attempt to explain why he engaged with so many different women.

Huh? Even assuming you find one through Instagram, you’d just use the same one repeatedly if they were any good / you hadn’t done something to them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

wooger posted:

Huh? Even assuming you find one through Instagram, you’d just use the same one repeatedly if they were any good / you hadn’t done something to them.

I’m not saying it’s a good explanation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

I don't get where this idea that people are avoiding this is coming from. I went to ESPN, where a link about the case is in the top page sidebar, yahoo sports where it's not on the front page but is the very first thing when you click on their NFL page, and the Athletic where a story about it is one of the first 3 things you see. Its possible I'm seeing all this because I have the Texans selected as a team to follow but at least as far as ESPN I doubt that.

It's not anywhere on the front page (at least on the mobile site) and on the NFL-specific landing page, it appears buried in a list of tiny text links between a story about the Saints losing their sixth round draft pick and Chris Carson's extension. Also note the actual headline—"Lawyer: Now will be 12 lawsuits against Watson". No mention of sexual assault and explicitly framed as just a thing a lawyer is saying.

It's an editorial decision you make when you believe the accusations are meritless. You're technically covering it, but you're signaling to your readers it's not important.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I don't agree with that at all; the first sentence of the article says the lawsuits are about sexual assault and anyone who's been paying remote attention to this knew that already anyway. I don't believe there's anyone in the world who sees that and goes ah this doesn't matter but would suddenly decide it does if ESPN's top article was "Deshaun Watson loves assaulting masseuses: lawsuits" or something. Most people have already made up their minds and the idea that ESPN is trying to save Deshaun Watson or doesn't believe the accusations is an absurd thing to draw from that headline.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Considering the very first thing people were saying when this broke was about how this must have been fake because why would Deshaun go on Insta for this, this uhhhhhh is very not good

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

One thing about news like this is it puts into stark relief how terrible sports journalism is when they have to step out of their lane of "Is This It For Brady?" and wade into real world issues

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't agree with that at all; the first sentence of the article says the lawsuits are about sexual assault and anyone who's been paying remote attention to this knew that already anyway. I don't believe there's anyone in the world who sees that and goes ah this doesn't matter but would suddenly decide it does if ESPN's top article was "Deshaun Watson loves assaulting masseuses: lawsuits" or something. Most people have already made up their minds and the idea that ESPN is trying to save Deshaun Watson or doesn't believe the accusations is an absurd thing to draw from that headline.

I don't think most people have even heard about it. If they have in passing, ESPN et al's decision to bury the coverage would lead them to more easily believe this is all the machinations of a skeez lawyer rather than something with merit.

Not really sure if I'll be able to convince you otherwise because this all seems pretty self evident. A news conference occurred on Friday where one of the biggest stars in the NFL—who had been the story of the offseason prior to now—was accused of sexually assaulting as many as 22 massage therapists. It's a much bigger story than Philip Lindsay signing with the Texans, but they're receiving the same level of coverage.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

https://youtu.be/qnttBhGVytc

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

So his first line of defense includes an admission that yes he did engage with all these women who are accusing him

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

So his first line of defense includes an admission that yes he did engage with all these women who are accusing him

Yeah this is almost always the mark of a liar who knows they're caught and is desperately trying to get out of it, in my experience

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I suspect you being in Houston is skewing it so you are seeing more coverage, but most of the articles I've seen were essentially Friday afternoon news dumps. I've asked a bunch of friends who are casual football fans for their thoughts and they had no idea this was happening, even though they generally keep up with sports. It took them multiple days to even talk about it when it first broke. This story feels like it's being buried and the media is grudgingly covering it. That'll change the longer this goes on because it'll be too hard to ignore, but that doesn't change how irresponsible the media is in handling this.

sweet thursday posted:

One thing about news like this is it puts into stark relief how terrible sports journalism is when they have to step out of their lane of "Is This It For Brady?" and wade into real world issues

Basically this

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
It's probably pretty much always been the plan. I just don't think they anticipated how many people would come forward. You make that argument with two or three people over the course of the year and you have plausible deniability.

It sounds like a lot of these folks he paid to transport them to wherever he was; that would leave a paper trail he wouldn't really be able to deny. I wonder if he was honest with his council early on about how many accusers there could potentially be?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

On the plus side Deshaun never kissed his son on the lips while getting a massage

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Well due to Covid I paid for women to go through airports and get on planes.

Also lmao Watson got in trouble for throwing like a pizza party or whatever during Covid.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also it's doubtful that covid would effect his access to team employed physical therapists in any way

Unless he means specifically that covid made it harder to visit the rubmaps spots

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sataere posted:

I suspect you being in Houston is skewing it so you are seeing more coverage, but most of the articles I've seen were essentially Friday afternoon news dumps. I've asked a bunch of friends who are casual football fans for their thoughts and they had no idea this was happening, even though they generally keep up with sports. It took them multiple days to even talk about it when it first broke. This story feels like it's being buried and the media is grudgingly covering it. That'll change the longer this goes on because it'll be too hard to ignore, but that doesn't change how irresponsible the media is in handling this.

Basically this

I would be curious what y'all want to see in contrast, then, I guess, because a) I don't see how having a story laying out all currently know facts easily accessible is burying something and b) I don't believe for a second ESPN editorial has formed the opinion that all these women are lying and is acting on that and c) even if a and b are true if there's anything here that's real ESPN will simply not be able to bury it so why would they try now? What would represent responsible coverage of this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I have no idea if this would ever be accessible by law enforcement but I would bet that there is metadata from everyone’s phones that would prove that he and those women were together during the times alleged.

So Watson has no choice but to admit “yeah I saw all these different women BUT”

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So pretty sure that Watson did all this poo poo. gently caress him.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have no idea if this would ever be accessible by law enforcement but I would bet that there is metadata from everyone’s phones that would prove that he and those women were together during the times alleged.

So Watson has no choice but to admit “yeah I saw all these different women BUT”

Yeah this seems like one of those things where we will know definitively because there are so many electronic trails

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

So pretty sure that Watson did all this poo poo. gently caress him.

Yeah :smith:

Hard to believe that a week ago he was an incredible role model who the team was loving over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Intruder posted:

Also it's doubtful that covid would effect his access to team employed physical therapists in any way

Unless he means specifically that covid made it harder to visit the rubmaps spots

There was actuality a story on usatodays sports thing that the Texans normally provide massage therapists but were having issues getting guys access because something something protocol.