Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Pyrus Malus posted:

This game rules and it's pretty much exactly how the title of the thread bills it. Kenshi doesn't seem very friendly to new characters, though - I've read around and it seems like everyone is recommending exploits for beginning to level my main stumbling block, which seems to be melee attack. The 'carry around heavy poo poo' I kinda stumbled onto myself and that's been great for leveling strength and athletics up to par, but what is the intended (for lack of a better word) way to level something like melee attack, especially if you intend to do a solo run? I can't even fight a bonedog solo without it knocking me unconscious.

Do you want a 50 hour game? Keep Kenshi vanilla. Do you not have time and want a 25 to 30 hour game? Grab some training mods in the workshop.

Kenshi is really what you want to make of it, so grab the mods/playstyle that makes it better for you. There are definite ways to break this game, it just depends what level of broken you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Low effort is to just leave a bunch of people outside the hub and check in on them every once in a while after they get their poo poo pushed in by dust and hungry bandits. After a few rounds they’ll start fighting back semi effectively before being ko’ed and eventually you can run around beating up bandit groups. It’s great since it’s basically the closest you get to safe mode kenshi since slavers are very rare in the hub and almost all the enemies use blunt weapons.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cardiovorax posted:

It's Kenshi. If you aren't abducting people to put them into your limb-removal machine, you aren't trying.

I put my own characters into limb-removal machine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, there's a reason the default start dumps you basically right outside that place's doors.

Zesty posted:

I put my own characters into limb-removal machine.
I used a prisoner recruitment mod and pretend that I am snatching people from the street to grow my brainwashed cyborg army. It's fun.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

KirbyKhan posted:

Fite people instead, less likely to eat you after knocking you unconscious.

Hungry bandits should be your go-to for the 5-25 range. Solo is rough because you have to be hella selective in your engagements, which makes leveling slower.

You could get a research up to level 3 for a cage, buy up a shack on hub, then beat and kidnap someone to put in that lil abuse shack. Hella serial killer tho

Edit: beaten like an attack training prisoner. Oh my god this game is for serial killers.

If you don't like being a slave, go visit the Shek cops and borrow their training dummy Mk3 (can train up to 15 Melee Attack) and occasionally they'll yell at you and beat you up for some free(?) Melee Defense + Toughness training, since they seem to have functionally infinite bandages and when you're in jail your nutrition can't drop below malnourished, so you have much lower risk of getting spider'd/beakthing'd or bleeding out from a fight gone sideways.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Donkringel posted:

Do you want a 50 hour game? Keep Kenshi vanilla. Do you not have time and want a 25 to 30 hour game? Grab some training mods in the workshop.

Kenshi is really what you want to make of it, so grab the mods/playstyle that makes it better for you. There are definite ways to break this game, it just depends what level of broken you want.

x5 experience makes the early game a lot more tolerable, then I just disable it and re-import it once I have a few characters that can hold their own and I can make a training base to skip the grinding. Leaving it on too long though starts breaking the game since city guards turn into unstoppable beasts while wandering mobs become too much of a non threat since the x5 modifier works for everything.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The only mods I picked up for Kenshi were indoors construction so I could build a smithy in the Hub, and a patrol routes mod so I could make my guys run laps. Kenshi is pretty fun without too many mods aside from quality of life stuff to enable the way you want to play

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The only mods I picked up for Kenshi were indoors construction so I could build a smithy in the Hub, and a patrol routes mod so I could make my guys run laps. Kenshi is pretty fun without too many mods aside from quality of life stuff to enable the way you want to play

I jumped right into Kaizo.

Never though of an indoor construction mod. Could be the thing that finishes my Hub Reconstruction Project.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Indoor construction is one of the best types of mod you can have. It allows you to actually be relatively self-sufficient in a city without needing to have a secondary external base for mining and refinement. It'll be slow, but it'll be there.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah it just takes forever to get crops going in a city because hydroponics is so far down the research tree. So you're making grocery trips for ages before you're really self sufficient.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah it just takes forever to get crops going in a city because hydroponics is so far down the research tree. So you're making grocery trips for ages before you're really self sufficient.

Depends on the city, because if there are wells/farms and mines/refineries owned by the city-faction you can use them and nobody gets mad about taking the products, but it's harder to automate the process.

If your city is in UC/HN there's a bonus: slaves will "operate" a building regardless of whether it has necessary resources, but if you go around delivering inputs and swiping outputs... you can accidentally (re)invent some economic theories :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

silentsnack posted:

Depends on the city, because if there are wells/farms and mines/refineries owned by the city-faction you can use them and nobody gets mad about taking the products, but it's harder to automate the process.

If your city is in UC/HN there's a bonus: slaves will "operate" a building regardless of whether it has necessary resources, but if you go around delivering inputs and swiping outputs... you can accidentally (re)invent some economic theories :v:

There's a house in either Stack or Bad Teeth. In all my games I have found Mia and the other dude who's guarenteed farming skill. On an old run I had those two running my food. There's a house in stack or bad teeth, I forget which, that has a farm plot attached.

It really is night and day between grocery shopping and having dedicated skilled labor. I had enough food cubes to sell with them. Got tired of the food commute and forgetting who's cool to go to godlands and who has cyber legs.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I got a skeleton repair kit empire running in the great desert between the 3 UC cities and life is good, off the wanderer start so it was kind of a trek getting over there. We aren't food self-sustainable but we're also between 3 cities so eh. Now that my main place is up I'm wondering which of the areas I'm gonna explore next, stealth is in the 70s so I mostly sneak into ruins and abandoned outposts and it's tense as hell

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Is there a way to make base defense not a horrific nightmare in an ongoing game? I set up an outpost between The Hub and Squin and I'm getting raided by bandits like twice a day, and this is after killing the Dust King. I found out too late that walls and gates don't do jack poo poo and other than my main dude, his dog, and a Shek warrior I hired all of my recruits are pretty much worthless in a fight. I've poured a lot of resources into my base already and I just sorta wanna level it up but Dust Bandits Kool-Aid Man-ing their way through my walls literally every five minutes is really sucking the fun out of the game.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
If you really want to cheese it until you're ready, make a double gate. The enemy pathing only looks past one gate so when presented with two it breaks and the enemies will just mill about outside your walls.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sum posted:

Is there a way to make base defense not a horrific nightmare in an ongoing game? I set up an outpost between The Hub and Squin and I'm getting raided by bandits like twice a day, and this is after killing the Dust King. I found out too late that walls and gates don't do jack poo poo and other than my main dude, his dog, and a Shek warrior I hired all of my recruits are pretty much worthless in a fight. I've poured a lot of resources into my base already and I just sorta wanna level it up but Dust Bandits Kool-Aid Man-ing their way through my walls literally every five minutes is really sucking the fun out of the game.

I believe enemies will usually take the path of least resistance so if you purposely leave a section of the wall open and line it with manned turrets you should be able to slaughter most trash enemies before they make it inside.

So instead of making a gate, make a narrow entrance way like this

code:
-------       --------
       |      |
       |      |
       |      |
       |      |

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Most base defense strategies that aren't just break the AIs require guys knowing how to fight. Like even a funnel is not going to do great until your turret skills (and friendly fire damage reduction lol) are up to par unless you have guys with some toughness as a backstop.

You should hire mercs for your training wheels even if you think your own guys can fight. They can at least be that back stop.

But if your schlubs can't defend their own base or you can't afford merc help, go on vacation and come back later. Nothing can really happen to an abandoned base so you're not likely to lose any hard work so far. Staying is only going to get worse because it sounds like you're only dealing with parties going proximity aggro, and have not had a real war party show up yet.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Also you can put robot dudes with turrets on top of walls and remove ramps to them.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Turpitude posted:

Also you can put robot dudes with turrets on top of walls and remove ramps to them.

You can do that with your entire squad since ramps (among other things) don't seem to have multiple physics states as far as pathfinding is concerned, so your dudes can walk on anything even if it's still at the "blueprint placed but no materials added" stage of construction. Just place a new ramp (and pause its construction) to leave again.

You can't place blueprints on or order units to [go here] and stand on a floor/roof/etc that hasn't been built yet, but they'll still walk to reach a target. Also you can build crossbow on nodes since those don't care if the floor exists?

Also you can pick up mercenaries and the game treats them as unconscious so you can steal their stuff and give them better equipment. They might get mad if one of them is still conscious and sees you with the [committing a crime!] tag... but the ERROR bots from the deadlands lab don't, and mechanically they're just mercenaries in a faction that hates everything (except you) and have a permanent bodyguard contract. ~30 skeletons does a lot for base defense if you give them better weapons/armor. Especially when you can use them to beat up and kidnap/rob friendly or neutral patrols/caravans, without any reputation penalty (you can even gain some for bandaging the wounded, if you feel like it)

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ok it seems like just abandoning the base for a bit and going off for some more adventuring to get my party's skills up is the least gamey/most fun way to do it. I'd do the mercenaries thing but I've gone down from like 50k credits to 25k settling already and it seems like awhile before I'll have a steady income stream. Will the Shek Kingdom get mad at me for not paying tribute while I'm gone? Or can I just leave the door open and let them root around through my empty bins or whatever

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My favoured method of defence is a U shaped gatehouse with towers on the inside with mounted harpoons, but the difference is that my melee fighters stand in front of the gate. The gate is there to stop anyone running past the fighters and harassing my farmers, it's not strong enough to stand up to anyone actually trying to break it down.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

sum posted:

Ok it seems like just abandoning the base for a bit and going off for some more adventuring to get my party's skills up is the least gamey/most fun way to do it. I'd do the mercenaries thing but I've gone down from like 50k credits to 25k settling already and it seems like awhile before I'll have a steady income stream. Will the Shek Kingdom get mad at me for not paying tribute while I'm gone? Or can I just leave the door open and let them root around through my empty bins or whatever
I never did set up in a taxable spot but I have reasons to think as long as you aren't in the chunk, tax collector events will not trigger. If they do I'm fairly sure a Shek war party will basically move in until you come back at which point I think they take an rear end kicking as back taxes.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
It's been a while but iirc that's right, events don't trigger if you have nobody in the base. So as long as you stay away you'll get raids and tax collectors just chilling outside the gates waiting for you to return, then once you get in range their dialogue starts. You can game this to wait around and then have two raids that are mutually hostile start kicking the poo poo out of each other while you watch and swoop in on the victors.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi. Doing a new run. About 20 hours in and strong enough to make world changes. What steps should I take to dismantle slavery and xenophobia across the realm?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
If no one is alive, then there can be no xenophobia or slavery

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

buglord posted:

Hi. Doing a new run. About 20 hours in and strong enough to make world changes. What steps should I take to dismantle slavery and xenophobia across the realm?

Genociding the holy nation would probably be a net positive imo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's certainly a good start. In terms of world events, taking out the Phoenix is a big one.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Goodness gracious why are mountains so awful to navigate through? are there any AI pathing mods that improve how characters travel across mountainy areas? I have to handhold them each time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

If no one is alive, then there can be no xenophobia or slavery

Cat-Lon did nothing wrong.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Best thing to do with this bad boy is beat him up, heal him up, then carry him to somewhere fun and let him loose.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
foglands is where you send your dogs to train

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I'm starting to think I've managed to settle on a spawn point for these guys

Beep is still the best

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 28, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/KenshiOfficial/status/1377572212601933825?s=19

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

hahahaha ok that's actually funny

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That is some classy merch :kimchi:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
More like high-fi games HEH

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leal posted:

Beep is still the best

His looting style is a little too thorough however

I'll spoil that just in case it's too racy for work

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Border security officer Beep checking for potential drug smuggling? :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm thinking of starting a new game, last time I did a Kenshi thing I did the megahueg town RTS adventure, so for a change I think I want to spend the whole game as 1 guy and just go Kratos on everything. I've never done the math on races, but am I right that Scorchlander barely edges out hive price as an endgame melee guy, since the extra armor slot is worth more than the significant combat speed buffs that princes get?