Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Dragon Quest is kinda designed to be a chill easy experience until the postgame dungeon (or act, in this game) actually expects you to try and the postgame bosses kick your poo poo in. It’s kind of a shame for new fans that the Draconian Quest options are so daunting on a surface level and can be turned off mid run but not on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The combat will become deeper once the character's roles start to define themselves. Bosses recognize that, too, and spike in difficulty to make sure you're learning. Still, it's a pretty chill ride if you're not on hard monsters or something.

DQ games push the silent protagonist to the point it becomes a gimmick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you can also play it pretty underleveled to make it harder for yourself since you can avoid basically every optional encounter with great ease.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And I also put the idea out that you can also use weaker and outdated armor and weapons too if you end up overleveled.

You don't have any other options otherwise! This isn't Xenoblade Chronicles DE and The World Ends with You!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
I’m really torn on Sylvia. He(she? At least in jp) is simultaneously the best character and also a ridiculous walking stereotype. I also don’t like how the English text basically eschews all the pronoun stuff which in some ways is actually pretty interesting I guess.

regardless Sylvia is by far the best character in the game, at least where I am at (beginning of act 2 I think?). Just got back together with Sylvia in phnom.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

What in the Japanese version makes you think Sylvando is a women?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Evil Fluffy posted:

The grind for stuff like the hero gear and orbs for the ultimate gear upgrades was unreal too. IIRC even if you leveled legacy bosses to like 80+, where they'd act 3-4 times a turn and just straight up murder you with bad RNG unless you used the paladin invincibility special, the drop rate was utter trash.

Any DQIX remake absolutely has to fix that poo poo, even having the Hoimi Table as a workaround was still awful.

The game has tedium all the way through. Just unlocking Armamentalist is a pain in the rear end and entirely down to luck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

The game has tedium all the way through. Just unlocking Armamentalist is a pain in the rear end and entirely down to luck.

How did that work? It's been so long since I played DQ9 that I don't remember anymore.

It's probably one of those games where I was more forgiving of tedium/grinding because it was handheld.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
obviously everyone is open to their own interpretation but as a queer man I love Slyvando, it's very cool that he's a powerful, chivalrous dude whose femininity compliments those things rather than detracts from them, and no one treats him as lesser for it. he's also just so nice and positive. several other of my queer/gay friends feel the same, though I do know at least one just can't get past the idea that the game/writers might want you to laugh at him so it's hardly an objective truth that he's beloved.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tabletops posted:

I’m really torn on Sylvia. He(she? At least in jp) is simultaneously the best character and also a ridiculous walking stereotype. I also don’t like how the English text basically eschews all the pronoun stuff which in some ways is actually pretty interesting I guess.

regardless Sylvia is by far the best character in the game, at least where I am at (beginning of act 2 I think?). Just got back together with Sylvia in phnom.

Sylvia/Sylvando is considered male or neither by the JP audience from what I know.

Saw someone refer to them as Sylvia Aniki.

Countblanc posted:

obviously everyone is open to their own interpretation but as a queer man I love Slyvando, it's very cool that he's a powerful, chivalrous dude whose femininity compliments those things rather than detracts from them, and no one treats him as lesser for it. he's also just so nice and positive. several other of my queer/gay friends feel the same, though I do know at least one just can't get past the idea that the game/writers might want you to laugh at him so it's hardly an objective truth that he's beloved.

He's an entertainer of course he wants people to laugh. Pretty much everyone in the game loves him as well.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 20, 2021

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

How did that work? It's been so long since I played DQ9 that I don't remember anymore.

It's probably one of those games where I was more forgiving of tedium/grinding because it was handheld.

You have to cast Wizard Ward and then have that character land the killing blow on a metal slime twice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's an entertainer of course he wants people to laugh. Pretty much everyone in the game loves him as well.

well yes but i feel that isnt what they meant by that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

You have to cast Wizard Ward and then have that character land the killing blow on a metal slime twice.

I definitely used an Armamentalist but I do not at all remember doing that :v: I banished a lot of that game from my memory, it seems.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ethiser posted:

What in the Japanese version makes you think Sylvando is a women?

The Japanese almost exclusively uses feminine pronouns though some of them can be used to refer to effeminate men (atashi), but Sylvia is also called oneesan by everyone pretty much.

Anyway I agree with others that all the things that makes him a fantastic character also make him a nuanced representative but at the same time, knowing Japanese media tropes it’s very obvious when they’re essentially making gay jokes or othering (the many ‘geh’ first takes).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I probably posted it in this thread but I didn't trust Sylv at first. I figured he was actually a criminal setting the hero up for more trouble

Nope. Dude actually just has a boat. And is there to save the day and be cool and powerful and rad.

I will say I didn't like his intermission chapter, but I didn't like anyone's intermission chapter

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Len posted:

I probably posted it in this thread but I didn't trust Sylv at first. I figured he was actually a criminal setting the hero up for more trouble

Nope. Dude actually just has a boat. And is there to save the day and be cool and powerful and rad.

I will say I didn't like his intermission chapter, but I didn't like anyone's intermission chapter

Rab's isn't bad, but all the rest either are unnecessary padding or actively ruin what is otherwise a great reveal later in the game in the original version. And Rab's isn't good enough to make up for that.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
I thought the interludes were really good, especially given that in Sylvando’s chapter you can find out that Jasper immediately hosed off to Gondolia to order a metric fuckton of cake after helping to kick off the apocalypse, but I feel like they were poorly placed in the narrative. I think it would’ve been better if you played them immediately after the characters in question rejoined the party or if they were optional vignettes you could play at your leisure after they rejoined to unlock a reward or something.

I feel pretty much the same about the Tickington sidequests, though I do understand that a lot of the rewards for those were shuffled over from the crossbow minigame in the original edition so I guess they couldn’t gate them off to the endgame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm glad that my first time playing Dragon Quest XI didn't have the interludes.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm glad that my first time playing Dragon Quest XI didn't have the interludes.

:same:
The story and flow was better without them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It should've been a thing that you gain access to when you get the party back together and you go to a campfire.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, and that would be easy to justify in the narrative too.

"What did YOU do?... What did YOU do? aaaand you?"

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Hey I just started playing 8 on the 3ds. I don't want to look up guides or spoilers or anything but I did hear that I can't reverse the points I put in. Is there anything I should know or just do what I think is cool/best?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Basically all of the skill trees are viable, it's fine to pick whatever you want. I don't think there are any "traps", especially in the 3DS version since they rebalanced some skills from the PS2 version. I suggest picking one weapon type per character and focusing on it and the character's personal skill tree.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

The one thing I can suggest is to not invest skillpoints in any tree until you have enough to get the next skill. That way, let's say you're levelling swords- the next skill needs 6 more points, and you invest 3 more in the tree. But before your next level, you decide you want to switch to spears instead. Those 3 points you put towards the next sword skill have now been wasted unless you decide to go back to swords later.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, or if you have those three points and the next Swords bonus is at +6, but then you get 5 skill points the next level, so you can afford the next Courage skill at +8 instead, maybe.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

serefin99 posted:

The one thing I can suggest is to not invest skillpoints in any tree until you have enough to get the next skill. That way, let's say you're levelling swords- the next skill needs 6 more points, and you invest 3 more in the tree. But before your next level, you decide you want to switch to spears instead. Those 3 points you put towards the next sword skill have now been wasted unless you decide to go back to swords later.

This is very important advice.

Also Fisticuffs owns and IMHO everyone should do a playthrough of DQ8 where everyone just maxes Fisticuffs because it's a lot of fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In 8, I seem to recall it's best to focus on 1 or 2 skill trees rather than spreading them out, because you won't get enough for all of them and you can't respec. A regrettable flaw in what is otherwise a superb game - not that you need to optimize, but that you feel locked into the decision.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Well jk the 3ds emulator I was using on my phone can't handle the photo quests because of some rendering issues. Is the phone version of the game the same as the 3ds version?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, the mobile version is based on the Japanese PS2 release, so not only is it missing all the 3DS differences, it also has midi music and no voice acting.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Just felt the need to pop in here and say holy poo poo does this song from Ni No Kuni sounds like a Dragon Quest tune. That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohoiUdoB9k

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

No, the mobile version is based on the Japanese PS2 release, so not only is it missing all the 3DS differences, it also has midi music and no voice acting.
IIRC it's also missing the two new party members and the post game dungeon added to the 3DS release and a bunch of the QoL changes like being able to see the actual skill trees and the rebalanced skill point totals for the party members who join later. I think it has instant alchemy though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Arkage posted:

Just felt the need to pop in here and say holy poo poo does this song from Ni No Kuni sounds like a Dragon Quest tune. That is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohoiUdoB9k

Ni No Kuni was DQ10 in America as far as I'm concerned. There are so many similarities in terms of writing and music and atmosphere.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bongo Bill posted:

In 8, I seem to recall it's best to focus on 1 or 2 skill trees rather than spreading them out, because you won't get enough for all of them and you can't respec. A regrettable flaw in what is otherwise a superb game - not that you need to optimize, but that you feel locked into the decision.

If you decide to get to level 99, all characters will get 350 skill points, so enough for 3 maxed trees and a half of another. And skill seeds only give 5 skill points each, so you'll have a ton of grinding to go in order to max all trees for every character.

11 is nicer in that you can almost max everything at max level, respec and most characters only need a few seeds to max everything instead of 30.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Aw man I may have hosed myself on difficulty. I was wondering around after getting Sylvia and rob back and went to hotto, got introduced to a quest line there to kill tetsunagaso I hung out in the volcano for a minute getting chests and kinda accidentally killed 4 what turned out to be metal hands I guess. I was under the impression only slimes were ‘metallic’ and gave bonus xp. Woops. Everyone got like 8 levels and I’m probably severely over leveled.

I had already zoomed out and my previous hard save was 4 hours prior so RIP I guess. Is that stuff like post game or something? The big bad was really hard too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tabletops posted:

Aw man I may have hosed myself on difficulty. I was wondering around after getting Sylvia and rob back and went to hotto, got introduced to a quest line there to kill tetsunagaso I hung out in the volcano for a minute getting chests and kinda accidentally killed 4 what turned out to be metal hands I guess. I was under the impression only slimes were ‘metallic’ and gave bonus xp. Woops. Everyone got like 8 levels and I’m probably severely over leveled.

I had already zoomed out and my previous hard save was 4 hours prior so RIP I guess. Is that stuff like post game or something? The big bad was really hard too.

That quest is supposed to be towards the end of the act. Surprised you didn't get bounced out by the regular stuff.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I don’t see a thread about the game in the mobile sub forum but the mobile game Dragon Quest of the Stars is shutting down after a little over a year release in the west. Lotta angry whales online who sunk gatcha-size funds into this only to learn it’s going down a month or two after the big one year celebration.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That game sucked so much rear end I cannot imagine the type of person who would put any money into it

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don’t see a thread about the game in the mobile sub forum but the mobile game Dragon Quest of the Stars is shutting down after a little over a year release in the west. Lotta angry whales online who sunk gatcha-size funds into this only to learn it’s going down a month or two after the big one year celebration.

hahahaha I played that one for quite a while at release, it was a hot turd. There were like 3 banners the whole time I played, lol

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Ghostnuke posted:

hahahaha I played that one for quite a while at release, it was a hot turd. There were like 3 banners the whole time I played, lol

Apparently they did a bunch of banners a few weeks before this
:cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I wanted to like DQotS and I tried hard to like it. It didn't hold my interest for more than a couple weeks.