Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

fuf posted:

man this is honestly kind of sad

they are clearly trying but it's months after release and they give us this elaborate over-written article to introduce four very minor changes
now that their communiation team can't poo poo talk on twitter all day they have a lot of time on their hands - and a need to justify their jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Hammerstein posted:

Gibson tried to warn us in 2018, but we didn't listen...

loving called it lol

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Khablam posted:

It's biggest crime is looking exactly like a GTA clone. Being structured like one exactly. Having all the same elements in place.
But none of them work.
When people ask "why did you expect GTA!?" it's because the language of the game is "GTA" and all the tools the player has are "GTA".
Yeah, I completely agree.

Here's my dumb armchair theory of what happened during development. The game started off as a sci-fi Witcher 3 but it was supposed to be even bigger, better, 3 classes to choose from instead of just 1 Geralt, more branching and long-lasting conseqauences in missions, instead of just swords - many very different weapon playstyles to choose from, instead of just a horse - many different vehicles to choose from, the works. They had this, it was a spin on the formula they knew well but more ambitious, more complex.

Then during further development it turned out that the first person perspective would be better. They probably had solid reasons to go there, more immersion into the gameworld, use of smaller spaces, seeing the gorgeous assets closer etc. This meant though that they were no longer developing just a sci-fi Witcher 3, in the combat department they were now developing Deus Ex too. So they were basically working on 2 games at the same time. TW3's open world, structure, choices, level of writing but with Deus Ex's combat and what comes with that - more complex level design. That was already a risk but probably maybe doable?

Then one day a CEO thought to himself - hmm we have a big city, guns and cars? poo poo, that's almost GTA, with some modifications we could totally go for that Rockstar money $$$. And that's when poo poo hit the fan because they were developing 3 games in one now - TW3, Deus Ex and GTA. That's why people keep coming back to the discussion on which game this title actually is more like depending on what features they associate more strongly from each of those games. In the end CDPR ran out of time/planned funds for the project and fell short of each of those components. In the process they also had to actively cut features from each of the "games" just to make time for the other 2. So you get the TW3 part but with cut reactivity and branching choices, the Deus Ex part where your chosen playstyles don't matter, there was no time to test and properly finish them, the GTA part with no mayhem, broken police, bad driving etc. They maybe also had to change how the game technically works just to make that future GTA Online Cyberpunk Online thing possible (like NPCs and cars reloading when you turn around). In the end the game didn't execute properly what it borrowed from other more focused titles and at the same time didn't bring in enough of its own gameplay vision to prevent the unfavorable comparisons.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 20, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E_HBXCnmg

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
These fixes don’t appear too challenging given modders have done all of these (obviously not with console considerations), which makes me wonder what the bulk of the technical effort is. I’m guessing it’s mostly squeezing max FPS. The bugs and root causes mentioned so far appear to be more prominent when FPS is really low. Tying driving movement calculations to frame rendering in any way seems real odd at face value but they’re the devs. Given that they’re the ones trying make it all work on consoles though it’s all going to be under scrutiny for performance impact if any. The highlights are all things I’d presume don’t impact FPS.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Except Witcher 3 already had the DNA of an open world game in it, it is a stretch to say it was a late development decision to open CP up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Who are you talking to, me, the author of the video? Because I didn't write anything about open world coming later. Open world was included in the "The game started off as a sci-fi Witcher 3" sentence.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There's kinda no obvious point where I'd say yeah they can cut this. Like the Keanu story is solid, if short and linear, but unless you wanna make it a point-and-click you need some entertaining combat mechanics, some way of getting around, something to fill the gaps between the story locations on the map etc etc. Maybe the entire hacking stuff could've been deleted but that's not that much effort saved - V is clearly meant to be a run-and-gun person, optionally stealth-flavored. So that sorta leaves you with "just do everything better".

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

reddit does meme good

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/m97zax/leaked_footage_of_3_months_worth_of_patching/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, the gameplay purpose of the police seems to be to encourage you to watch your fire if you're in a crowded area or your enemies have hostages. That's fine, but I feel that it's both annoying and narratively unfitting for the police to be an enemy that you can only run away from. They're basically just a heavily-armed gang who are shadows of their former selves. Them being a problematic and unwelcome presence is fine, but I don't see why they should be much more dangerous than Militech or Arasaka.

there are tiny moments you can gently caress up cops. like there are cops beating a dude down in a alley way and you can slaughter them all and save him.

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I completely agree.

Here's my dumb armchair theory of what happened during development. The game started off as a sci-fi Witcher 3 but it was supposed to be even bigger, better, 3 classes to choose from instead of just 1 Geralt, more branching and long-lasting conseqauences in missions, instead of just swords - many very different weapon playstyles to choose from, instead of just a horse - many different vehicles to choose from, the works. They had this, it was a spin on the formula they knew well but more ambitious, more complex.

Then during further development it turned out that the first person perspective would be better. They probably had solid reasons to go there, more immersion into the gameworld, use of smaller spaces, seeing the gorgeous assets closer etc. This meant though that they were no longer developing just a sci-fi Witcher 3, in the combat department they were now developing Deus Ex too. So they were basically working on 2 games at the same time. TW3's open world, structure, choices, level of writing but with Deus Ex's combat and what comes with that - more complex level design. That was already a risk but probably maybe doable?

Then one day a CEO thought to himself - hmm we have a big city, guns and cars? poo poo, that's almost GTA, with some modifications we could totally go for that Rockstar money $$$. And that's when poo poo hit the fan because they were developing 3 games in one now - TW3, Deus Ex and GTA. That's why people keep coming back to the discussion on which game this title actually is more like depending on what features they associate more strongly from each of those games. In the end CDPR ran out of time/planned funds for the project and fell short of each of those components. In the process they also had to actively cut features from each of the "games" just to make time for the other 2. So you get the TW3 part but with cut reactivity and branching choices, the Deus Ex part where your chosen playstyles don't matter, there was no time to test and properly finish them, the GTA part with no mayhem, broken police, bad driving etc. They maybe also had to change how the game technically works just to make that future GTA Online Cyberpunk Online thing possible (like NPCs and cars reloading when you turn around). In the end the game didn't execute properly what it borrowed from other more focused titles and at the same time didn't bring in enough of its own gameplay vision to prevent the unfavorable comparisons.

that honestly sounds about right. the main core narrative feels like all the good parts of witcher 3. they should have just made the open world like witcher 3 but with maybe more reactive random trash mobs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fuf posted:

man this is honestly kind of sad

they are clearly trying but it's months after release and they give us this elaborate over-written article to introduce four very minor changes

yeah. its sad. there is a good story and game in here and alot of times its good. but i am having more fun playing AC vahalla as Big Viking lady killing Fyrdmen while wearing an outfit thats a mix of sauron and viking snow white. like if CDPR ever releases DLC and New Gen edition. i'll give it a new game plus, but for now, i am waiting for deathloop and that 40k necromunda shooter and mass effect.

Palpek posted:

Haha I just remembered launching this game at release and then spending way too long looking at this screen wondering what I should choose, it will be a long playthrough after all, don't want to make a hasty decision:

lol

yeah. its sad. i still think Corpo to Nomad ending is the best thematically.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 20, 2021

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that honestly sounds about right. the main core narrative feels like all the good parts of witcher 3. they should have just made the open world like witcher 3 but with maybe more reactive random trash mobs.

But they did just that (except the reactive trash mobs, they became the blue assaults), even my other point was that Witcher 3 open world was pretty bad and people tend to forget that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bholder posted:

But they did just that (except the reactive trash mobs, they became the blue assaults), even my other point was that Witcher 3 open world was pretty bad and people tend to forget that.

yeah but there was stuff to explore and cool small quests everywhere. in cyberpunk. most of the quests feel like stuff pulled from ubisoft games but way way worse because Ubisoft knows how to make living feeling open worlds and make repdative poo poo fun. its sad. this game sorta broke my heart a bit. if it had been super awful id probably feel way less bad, but it has alot of cool moments and story poo poo and etc, that i genuinly like alot.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but there was stuff to explore and cool small quests everywhere. in cyberpunk. most of the quests feel like stuff pulled from ubisoft games but way way worse because Ubisoft knows how to make living feeling open worlds and make repdative poo poo fun. its sad. this game sorta broke my heart a bit. if it had been super awful id probably feel way less bad, but it has alot of cool moments and story poo poo and etc, that i genuinly like alot.

There were as much stuff to explore in Witcher as there were in Cyberpunk, that is to say, not that much. Both games have the issue where there some genuinely interesting secrets and different sidequests to find but to find them you have to drudge through a lot of repetitive boring side content.

Everyone forgot the treasure chests of Skellige?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. its sad. there is a good story and game in here and alot of times its good. but i am having more fun playing AC vahalla as Big Viking lady killing Fyrdmen while wearing an outfit thats a mix of sauron and viking snow white. like if CDPR ever releases DLC and New Gen edition. i'll give it a new game plus, but for now, i am waiting for deathloop and that 40k necromunda shooter and mass effect.

yeah. its sad. i still think Corpo to Nomad ending is the best thematically.

Or Corpo to solo'ing your previous Corpo in don't fear the reaper. Both are good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Or Corpo to solo'ing your previous Corpo in don't fear the reaper. Both are good.

yeah.

Bholder posted:

There were as much stuff to explore in Witcher as there were in Cyberpunk, that is to say, not that much. Both games have the issue where there some genuinely interesting secrets and different sidequests to find but to find them you have to drudge through a lot of repetitive boring side content.

Everyone forgot the treasure chests of Skellige?

yeah i agree. anyway my belief is they kinda have to fix and expand the game because their rep is on the line.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
each actual sidequest in W3 had like a cool twist or unique ways of completing it that wasn't apparent at first glance

Cyberpunk does this maybe like 20% of the time?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sometimes an old lady yells at you but you get your eddies either way.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Pattonesque posted:

each actual sidequest in W3 had like a cool twist or unique ways of completing it that wasn't apparent at first glance

Cyberpunk does this maybe like 20% of the time?

This is why I originally was not worried about a smaller main quest. I was expecting more really cool side quests much like the witcher 3.

Most of the time it was a text dump, go place do something into another text dump.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
what the gently caress were they thinking with that patch announcement. are we getting trolled by cdpr at this point, right?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Anything that’s a twist is in a datashard and it’s always “this deal is gonna be great/oh no the deal went wrong!!!”

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

what the gently caress were they thinking with that patch announcement. are we getting trolled by cdpr at this point, right?
It's distracting people pretty well from the fact the patch notes are 4 lines long and consist only of baked-in changes people were doing themselves with an INI edit.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
those arent the only things that they are fixing...right?

i mean look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11Yw3jpwts

why would you put this on youtube? i legit not understand what the hell are they doing at cdpr anymore.

hey cops dont teleport behind you

what about the dron? that teleported behind me

*that will be fixed in the ?patch

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 21, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

i mean look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u11Yw3jpwts

why would you put this on youtube? i legit not understand what the hell are they doing at cdpr anymore.

hey cops dont teleport behind you

what about the dron? that teleported behind me

*that will be fixed in the ?patch

i wouldnt be shocked if they try pushing bigger fixes in with Addons. its what the division 2 did and such.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Zeta Acosta posted:

I mean they made 4 separate videos about each change, if there was anything more substantial than that they would for sure made another one so nope. I can only hope that the rest is some under-the-hood stuff that makes performance better.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I sincerely hope that CDPR is going with an under-promise and over-deliver strategy now because that's the usual method that even MBAs concede at this point (see: Apple's rise with the return of Jobs by refocusing hard and building a compelling product roadmap and brand).

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

a dev posted in the forum that there were lots of other changes but id guess its all technical stuff. they still have to get the game back on the ps4

e: lol

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1373031198876925955

they should probably just stop saying anything

Farm Frenzy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 21, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I think the 4-lines of over-dressed fixes are just those that are platform agnostic for sure. 1.2 really has to be their PS4 store target re-release.
Perhaps there's also a long list of smaller fixes like "crit mods actually work now" or such too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Imagine if they made the knife throwing build make sense one day.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Apparently they spent 300 million somethings on marketing alone. Obviously that's being spent on a lot of different things but surely one of those things would have been a really good PR person. PR people are cheap whores I'm sure they could have gotten a fantastic one for a fraction of that 300 million. The Michael Jordan of PR people.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Maybe this is the Michael Jordan of PR at work and the goal is to create a brand new "Dumb Cyberpunk Update" meme.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
That went well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
loving arasaka tried to gently caress me!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Apparently they spent 300 million somethings on marketing alone. Obviously that's being spent on a lot of different things but surely one of those things would have been a really good PR person. PR people are cheap whores I'm sure they could have gotten a fantastic one for a fraction of that 300 million. The Michael Jordan of PR people.

theyve spent the last four months trying to sex up announcements that all boil down to 'the game will be back on the ps4 soon*'

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm doing my part CDPR, please hire me for a PR position.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

I'm doing my part CDPR, please hire me for a PR position.

mine would just reproduce via budding.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You know they had all those designed for twitter before the game released.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

if only they made video about fixing the grenade button...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

he mentions the director or w/e getting switched out prior to 2018 and then demanding a lot of gamplay changes that pissed off the devs and made some people already start quitting, what was that original design like?