Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LiefKatano posted:

I might just use this, honestly. I beat it and right now I'm just grinding for the Bravebearer sword, and also incidental EXP grinding but making it as brainless as possible would be nice.

To make it really brainless, just have 3 characters use Ultima Sword targeting all enemies with HP/MP Convertor, Surpassing Power, Across the Board, and Spearhead. You'll do 99,999 damage to all enemies, Lonsdale will kill the character with reflected damage, but then your other two Ultima Sword characters will kill everyone. Make the third character a white mage and you can just open the menu and hit X to heal everyone between fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kin posted:

I've barely even used the beast tamer job yet, i didn't know your stats go up by capturing more.

How does it work, like is it based on unique monsters captured or just total volume and is there a way to see what you have or haven't captured?

I'm still just on chapter 2 and having a hard time with bosses like the archer because i've maybe not grinded enough for certain job classes. Plus with so many moves for so many jobs it's hard to tell what i can use to just be consistently godly.

Like from reading the last page, Godspeed strike breaks the game in your favour? I've been using vangaurd on everyone to get the double axe attack for about 300 damage per attack but it's not really cutting it against the general enemies in that forest even at level 22.

It's the secondary specialty ability you get when you level up Beastmaster to level 12, and you need to have Beastmaster as your primary job in order to get the effect. According to someone else when I asked earlier in the thread it's based on total monsters, up to a total of 99 for each unique monster in the game, and it doesn't decrease when you use a monster. Unfortunately, the only way to see what monsters you have, to my knowledge, is to look at the list that pops up when you use the Off the Leash / Off the Chain abilities in battle, which are sorted by the last unique monster you caught and are a nightmare to scroll through.

I know some people have already mentioned job combos that can basically give you unlimited BP, but I'm stomping my way through the game easily enough without going out of my way to make gamebreaking teams. But yes, Godspeed Strike pretty much liquifies bosses through much of the game, the only exceptions being the rare boss / trash mob enemies that have counters that open you up to instakill moves or getting combo'd to death if you run your BP into the negative.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 19, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay, well, wrapped up the game. Uhm. Boy, this game sure didn't really know what to do with itself, did it? There are so many half-baked ideas that don't go anywhere. What was the deal with Seth's origins? He behaves kind of like an amnesiac protagonist but we have no reason to believe he actually can't remember anything. What was the Night's Nexus? Some... woman from the past who ate a lot of memories? Why is Mag Mell just introduced in the last ten minutes of the game and has nothing interesting in it besides the (semi-) final boss? Is the boat supposed to be plot significant somehow? So many characters are completely underdeveloped for how much mention they get, like Emma, Lonsdale and perhaps most importantly, Adam. Every villain except Edna comes off as a complete stooge, and Edna's motives in turn are just completely opaque. What happened to her anyway? I can't believe the heroes going "uh, actually, let's not fight the big bad villain" at Musa was actually a plot point. That just... worked itself out somehow I guess? Almost no one has any depth. No questions get resolved.

What the hell happened to the story from the other two games? I feel like Bravely Second in particular set up a whole lot of stuff that just farted itself out of existence completely.

Most importantly, I feel like I was cheated out of a moment where we get to see the title screen and the II turns into III. Like what the hell, is this even a Bravely Default game?

All that said, I spent almost 50 hours on the game so it clearly wasn't a bad game. Mechanically speaking it delivers, wonky balance aside.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Adelle shredded the final boss with Death's Door. Bard buffs helped (buffs carrying over from the first half of the battle ALSO helped) but still.

The only reason she didn't two-turn it (one for each form) was because I used the Phantom's "ignore defense" buff instead of Vent Fury -> Death's Door x3, I'd wager.

I can't wait until people find out detailed skill data for the game, if only because I REALLY want to know what the devs were thinking of when they designed these things!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay, well, wrapped up the game. Uhm. Boy, this game sure didn't really know what to do with itself, did it? There are so many half-baked ideas that don't go anywhere. What was the deal with Seth's origins? He behaves kind of like an amnesiac protagonist but we have no reason to believe he actually can't remember anything. What was the Night's Nexus? Some... woman from the past who ate a lot of memories? Why is Mag Mell just introduced in the last ten minutes of the game and has nothing interesting in it besides the (semi-) final boss? Is the boat supposed to be plot significant somehow? So many characters are completely underdeveloped for how much mention they get, like Emma, Lonsdale and perhaps most importantly, Adam. Every villain except Edna comes off as a complete stooge, and Edna's motives in turn are just completely opaque. What happened to her anyway? I can't believe the heroes going "uh, actually, let's not fight the big bad villain" at Musa was actually a plot point. That just... worked itself out somehow I guess? Almost no one has any depth. No questions get resolved.

What the hell happened to the story from the other two games? I feel like Bravely Second in particular set up a whole lot of stuff that just farted itself out of existence completely.

Most importantly, I feel like I was cheated out of a moment where we get to see the title screen and the II turns into III. Like what the hell, is this even a Bravely Default game?

All that said, I spent almost 50 hours on the game so it clearly wasn't a bad game. Mechanically speaking it delivers, wonky balance aside.

Yep. Seth clearly has a past - he talks about sailing, he talks about a coastal village, but it's left as incredibly vague and uninteresting and nobody actually bothers to engage him on it outside of the barest of the surface level. Also, nobody but the boat lady and Seth talks about the sailing thing (I never saw any acknowledgement of the boat until it was plot relevant at the very end by the rest of the cast). I did like the faerie thing, the multiple fakeout endings, the reveal of the boat lady, and the reveal that the exploration via sailing involves Seth helping himself get to the final final boss. Overwriting the save file was also quite neat. And, honestly, the first four areas were pretty fun, and the climactic airship was neat.

But yeah, they didn't develop the villains nearly well enough. One of the best things about BD is that fighting the villains over and over let you learn more about them and their motivations and slowly recontextualized what you were doing until you realized that your party was actually bringing about the apocalypse. Here, the villains just kind of exist, get their ten seconds of screentime, and then give you the asterisk.

And Edna, the apparent catalyst of everything, the one who started all this crap, just... turns into a statue? We never see what happens to her, nobody ever bothers to ask, Adelle doesn't even bother to ask, and nobody ever delves into the Night's Nexus at all. Then they say "oh, the book is an asterisk" and nothing comes of that? You save over the data, but there's no other cool thing you can do to mess with the boss or other neat touches? And, of course, by the time you fight her, she's not even nearly as strong as the job unlock fights, and I had to intentionally hold back to not just end the fight nearly instantly.

Also, why the gently caress didn't Sloan tell Seth about the Bravebearer asterisk until the end of the game? We pick it up in the first few minutes while he's still very much alive.

In the end, I agree that the mechanics were good, but the story did start lacking at the end. The stuff leading up the end was quite enjoyable though.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Dirk the Average posted:

And Edna, the apparent catalyst of everything, the one who started all this crap, just... turns into a statue? We never see what happens to her, nobody ever bothers to ask, Adelle doesn't even bother to ask, and nobody ever delves into the Night's Nexus at all.

People don't ask questions about anything, even when they really should, and plot points keep getting dropped the instant they get slightly interesting. What was Folie's deal? Was she just some crazy girl who liked to paint whose parents didn't like her very much? What about the arcanist guy? The phantom lady? And Adam, whose motives seem to come down to "want build airship, want conquer world"... except we don't even know the airship exists until we're literally on it, and it promptly crashes. Meanwhile we know nothing about his personality or where he comes from - apparently he's the heir to the former king of Holograd or whatever, a place that doesn't matter and never goes anywhere afterwards either (you'd think there's be some concern that their dictator-king has apparently just died in a fiery airshipwreck). The villains all had hints at some kind of backstory, but it's bare-bones as hell. And I have no idea why Edna did anything she did.

The reason Mag Mell and everything post-Edna stands out is because it's all so... perfunctory. First of all, the tension of the game kind of deflates once the option of just not fighting the villain apparently is on the table. There's even that statue (?) cutscene that seems to nail home the idea that... I guess the world wasn't really in trouble after all and we could've just waited and it would've sorted itself out. The heroes don't do anything to stop Edna. They just leave her to self-statuefy and instead go to Mag Mell, where they're basically immediately allowed inside despite what we're told is some kind of unmendable schism between fairies and humans (which likewise is never explained or addressed since no one in Mag Mell seems to actually give a poo poo after the first five minutes), and actively ask the fairies to uncork the sealed evil in a can so they can fight it. Okay, I get it, JRPGs have had the "oh no meteor is falling, let's breed some chocobos" thing since forever. But that doesn't bother me when I'm doing side activities that are clearly dubiously canon. It's a whole nother thing for it to be an apparently planned out part of the storyline. You can't just work up to a climactic battle only to pull a Camelot on it and then act like this is fine in terms of the story progression without actually explaining why that is.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 19, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What the hell happened to the story from the other two games?

Didn't read your spoilers as I'm not at the end yet, but seeing as the hanging plot threads from Bravely Second seem nowhere to be found, I assume Bravely Second is supposed to be a direct sequel to BD1 in the way FFX-2 is to FFX or After Years is to FF4, while this is a sequel in the way FF5 is to FF4. I'm not really holding my breath that they're going to go back to the Default/Second storyline at this point, sadly.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

raditts posted:

Didn't read your spoilers as I'm not at the end yet, but seeing as the hanging plot threads from Bravely Second seem nowhere to be found, I assume Bravely Second is supposed to be a direct sequel to BD1 in the way FFX-2 is to FFX or After Years is to FF4, while this is a sequel in the way FF5 is to FF4. I'm not really holding my breath that they're going to go back to the Default/Second storyline at this point, sadly.

Yeah this is explicitly the case

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah SE was pretty front and center with "this is its own story, hence 2, while BS was a sequel to BD1.

Which is why the sequel to this will probably be BS2. :v:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm enjoying this game quite a bit but as someone who didn't play the previous two games, the fact that this isn't labelled as a FF game while blatantly being an FF game upsets me slightly

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Deki posted:

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit but as someone who didn't play the previous two games, the fact that this isn't labelled as a FF game while blatantly being an FF game upsets me slightly

The series technically did start out as a FF spinoff (Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light).

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

Yeah and they distanced it from 4HoL because 4HoL... was not a good game.

Though they used "Heroes of Light" in this game instead of "Warriors of Light" for... some reason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Four Heroes of Light was weird, I hated the crowns as jobs that you level up by filling with jewels system. I didn’t do the postgame towers to get the bonus jobs because I found the game really boring.

I finally found something stronger than bare-knuckle brawler (job spoilers) Adelle is now a Hellblade with Dual Wield from Phantom and two Chaos Blades

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I just got to Chapter 5 and the dungeon slog is start to grate on me, is there a good combo of jobs to get me through them relatively painlessly, or am I just gonna be chugging Ward Lights to get throguh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Fancy Hat! posted:

I just got to Chapter 5 and the dungeon slog is start to grate on me, is there a good combo of jobs to get me through them relatively painlessly, or am I just gonna be chugging Ward Lights to get throguh.

Berserker + anything that increases attack power. Both Level Slash or Indiscriminate Rage are ideal for instantly killing a pack of enemies.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I've said it once and I'll say it as many times as I need to. Berserker with Bare-Knuckle Brawling is godly, and that includes clearing encounters.

Crescent Moon kinda sucks but Level Slash is AMAZING at clearing encounters in one blow. It costs HP so it's not quite as self-sufficient as costing BP but...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Level slash x3, Hit X to cure the party in the menu after combat to top off your murder hero, rinse, repeat.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

So there's a secret, basically-New-Game-Plus-exclusive ending if you defeat Adam in the Vale of Sighs. It's super vague but Edna's told to go to the "outside world" (either ours or Seth's, if they're not the same thing; I'd bet "ours" because the camera zooms in on her as the cutscene ends).

And like... it feels like it could be maybe interesting but considering how safe this game was played (with any meta elements mostly being confined to Chapter 7, which is barely anything), the fact that they have dropped plot threads before, and that this is a secret ending doesn't give me much hope that it'll be anything besides just... a thing that exists.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
When do the ability synergies start to get cool because I'm here in chapter 2 and there really isn't anything interesting yet...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AverySpecialfriend posted:

When do the ability synergies start to get cool because I'm here in chapter 2 and there really isn't anything interesting yet...

You already have access to Thief and Berserker so you can turn all your regular attacks into full-party Mugs.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

ROFL Octopus posted:

You already have access to Thief and Berserker so you can turn all your regular attacks into full-party Mugs.

That's kind of cool for utility but doesn't do a lot combat wise. The best combo I've found for farming is Spearhead plus Berserker AoE attack which I guess you could put Mug on too.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Kind of a big problem with the game is that there aren't really any ability synergies that outrank Brave x4 + Godspeed Strike for most of the game in terms of damage. Most other synergies come down to one kind of utility or another, like mugging/capturing entire enemy parties in one go or all-casting Reraise or whatever.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
In Bravely 1 I could go natural talent + phantom weapon and drop 9999 damage thunder 1s on the final boss and it was epic. If this game doesn't have anything like that I'm gonna be pissed.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The big late-game one does 99,999 damage to the entire enemy lineup, but that requires every single asterisk in the game and there's practically nothing powerful enough to warrant that kind of overkill.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I mean, you need every single asterisk in the game to actually beat the game.

I feel like there wasn't a ton of stuff that required big nuke stuff in the first two games, either...? It's just way more noticeable here because Surpassing Power is a passive instead of being tied to something you only get one use of every eight hours or so (you could go over but that means it'd be even longer in between uses).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The quadruple boss challenge fights in the first game ruled, you needed some kind of massively powerful attack to clear those.

Edit: Triggering Chapter 6 was actually kind of stupid? I assumed that you had to fight Edna again and then Seth would stop Gloria from killing herself but nope. You’re just supposed to try to leave lol why did this game even need a bad, fake-out ending in the first place?

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 20, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I mean I won't necessarily disagree that the fake-out ending is dumb but how did you think that the solution to "hey Gloria's gonna kill herself to restore the crystals" was "let's just charge back in there immediately without changing our plan at all"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've got 3 of my 5 ability slots for each of my characters set to the jp up abilities from freelancer.

I never really considered taking them off because 70% extra job points is always nice.

I'm starting to wonder if it's actually all that useful in chapter 2 though.

Most fights give between 25 and 50 job points so, I get what, an extra 15 or 35 per fight.

Did most of you just keep those abilities on until you maxed out all the jobs?

I'm just thinking there might be a better use for them which makes fights go quicker and in turn would technically level you up faster.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kin posted:

I've got 3 of my 5 ability slots for each of my characters set to the jp up abilities from freelancer.

I never really considered taking them off because 70% extra job points is always nice.

Most fights give between 25 and 50 job points so, I get what, an extra 15 or 35 per fight.

I'm just thinking there might be a better use for them which makes fights go quicker and in turn would technically level you up faster.

Depends on your goals, honestly. I certainly took them off after a certain point and only really put them on when doing a specific JP grind (using bait, killing rare enemies repeatedly). They also work on JP up orbs, so definitely equip those skills before using items that grant JP.

I think I mastered about half of the jobs before the endgame. In the endgame, orbs that give 3,000 JP each (before JP up skills) are pretty common, so leveling up jobs becomes much, much easier.

Once you get a setup where you can put on rare drop rate increase passives and stealing passives (there are some really great setups for this), those are probably a lot more valuable than the JP up passives.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I mean I'm the kind of crazy person who puts on some podcasts and just grinds the snake in Savalon for three hours straight to max out jobs, so that's the only time I really bothered with JP Up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kin posted:

They're probably not necessary if you just grind all your job levels out in one go, but that sounds boring as poo poo, especially when there is an in game feature that essentially grinds for you while you sleep.

I've gotten to the point where I just keep Up&Up equipped during gameplay and equip Up after bringing the game out of sleep mode since the multiplier applies to Jp Orbs as well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

I mean I won't necessarily disagree that the fake-out ending is dumb but how did you think that the solution to "hey Gloria's gonna kill herself to restore the crystals" was "let's just charge back in there immediately without changing our plan at all"

idk I thought they would like fight the Nights Nexus or some poo poo. Obviously that comes later.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

That's kind of cool for utility but doesn't do a lot combat wise. The best combo I've found for farming is Spearhead plus Berserker AoE attack which I guess you could put Mug on too.
Buns are basically everywhere so stealing constantly means inflated stats for combat. Not that you have to do this but it's there.

I don't really remember too many synergies early in the game, I think the obvious combos came at chapter 3. Before that it's mostly picking the good stuff to start laying the foundation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've never used permanent stat up items in other games and I'm not about to start now.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Clarste posted:

I've never used permanent stat up items in other games and I'm not about to start now.

Please seek treatment for your affliction.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just did the endgame unlock fight for Berserker/Pictomancer/Arcanist and it all went very well until Castor decided to go berserk and then repeatedly hit the entire party for 5000 damage each time. This is very annoying.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I mean I'm the kind of crazy person who puts on some podcasts and just grinds the snake in Savalon for three hours straight to max out jobs, so that's the only time I really bothered with JP Up.

That is the wrong kind of crazy.

Instead you need to make sure that all characters have JP Up and JP Up and Up at all times and never stay in a class once they've maxed it that way sometimes boss fights are brutal because you have a party of 4 Gamblers instead of anything cohesive. But then when you get to the end of the game you won't have any grinding to do and also you'll probably beat it before that point, thus never using any of the cool character combinations.

This game's riding on the coattails of the brianworms.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I didn't get Ribbons and Three Stars for everyone on Final Fantasy VI to not have brainworms. (And everyone was level 99. And knew every spell. And they learned Ultima from the Paladin Shield. I had a very long bus commute is what I'm saying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Got back to this and started chapter 5. I'm just running around doing some sidequests first and leveling a few of the jobs I got, most notably Fell blade, because damage cap removal and I'm not sure if I've seen a good place to just power level jobs. Someone mentioned Baba Yaga but she's only about 5-600jp and the time it takes to killer here and make her repop you can kill that rare fairy mob in the first area several times for more total JP. On the upside I ran into two more rare mobs and since the thief special can always steal something I procced the rare steal 2x in a single fight and got 5 sensei belts, which are 10atk and 20crit and putting those on two heavy hitters is just goddamn ridiculous.

I also have hundreds of stat buns in my inventory for if/when I hit any sort of wall. Running around with 4x rare drop rate boost passives on is honestly pretty hilarious.

You can already make a monkzerker for things like insta-clearing trash via level slash, and thief has godspeed strike which is just outright broken. I just ripped through several chapter 4 bosses with it as the secondary on another job. Though for the final boss of that chapter I forgot to swap in the right subjob so I had to beat it with berserker as a sub (amp strike is still good though). They definitely needed to tweak the damage formula for magic and godspeed strike though.

Kin posted:

I've done this for most of the game. Later in chapter 4 I'd occasionally take off one of the JP skills to setup for killing a boss, but man I wish we could have character presets so I could save my current layout, hit a button to swap everyone to thief steal mode, then hit a button to swap back when done since manually changing it all is a few minutes of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen a good place to just power level jobs.

Go to the waterway in Savalon, pop through the teleporter and go straight up. It'll take you to an oasis on the world map with a miniboss snake that has about 22000 health and gives 300 JP. Less than Baba Yaga, but you just have to take two steps into the dungeon and then exit back to the world map to force it to repop. The snake is vulnerable to... spears and swords, I think? Anyway, it's not at all hard to get to a point where you can one-shot the snake in one turn if you max brave.