Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The main thing I want MHA to do is to remember the girl heroes still exist more often, otherwise very good, love the art, characters neat and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that's fairly generalized, but I get it. The show adaptations of shonen jump series are particularly awful because they, before a shakeup recently starting iirc with MHA, were in a "must release a new episode every single week" so there's literally over 900 episodes of one piece even though there's only a bit over a thousand chapters to adapt from. There's tons of filler in the anime and insane pacing issues, there's one part that is like 3 panels in the manga stretched out over an entire episode.

I guess what I'm saying is read the manga if you're going to check out a series and look up scenes from the anime afterwards if you want to see them in action/voiced. With One Piece there's also something someone's been making called "One Pace" which condenses like half a dozen episodes of the anime at a time into a single episode, cutting all the chaff, and I've heard amazing things about that. But there's a reason the manga is one of the best selling comic books(not just manga) of all time, One Piece's world, characters, storytelling, and the way it makes you feel like things are happening more than just around the main characters is second to none. It's really something else. And the way it handles death in the series is generally pretty good. A bit ridiculous at times, but when characters die, they stay dead, with one very notable and good exception.

I recommend Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos on why/how you should watch/read One Piece. It's a monumental series to jump into, but man, it's a loving hell of a ride, and one of those "once you catch up, you hunger for more" types of series. Reading up through Arlong Park, which is basically the prologue of the series, is what most folks will recommend. The artstyle is certainly a divisive point, but it's also one of those things you adapt to extraordinarily quickly once you're actually reading it. Except how Oda's artstyle for women becomes ridiculous later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE&hd=1

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Except how Oda's artstyle for women becomes ridiculous later on.

It bugs me so much man, that and never forget the anime doing a cool thing and giving Nico Robin a tan, which then gets robbed from her thanks to lame idiots.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Filler isn’t really a thing anymore at least for seasonal anime as they don’t need to produce weekly episodes every week and try not and overtake the manga it was based on

well that shows how out of touch i am with alot of anime stuff in general.

Captain Invictus posted:

that's fairly generalized, but I get it. The show adaptations of shonen jump series are particularly awful because they, before a shakeup recently starting iirc with MHA, were in a "must release a new episode every single week" so there's literally over 900 episodes of one piece even though there's only a bit over a thousand chapters to adapt from. There's tons of filler in the anime and insane pacing issues, there's one part that is like 3 panels in the manga stretched out over an entire episode.

I guess what I'm saying is read the manga if you're going to check out a series and look up scenes from the anime afterwards if you want to see them in action/voiced. With One Piece there's also something someone's been making called "One Pace" which condenses like half a dozen episodes of the anime at a time into a single episode, cutting all the chaff, and I've heard amazing things about that. But there's a reason the manga is one of the best selling comic books(not just manga) of all time, One Piece's world, characters, storytelling, and the way it makes you feel like things are happening more than just around the main characters is second to none. It's really something else. And the way it handles death in the series is generally pretty good. A bit ridiculous at times, but when characters die, they stay dead, with one very notable and good exception.

I recommend Super Eyepatch Wolf's videos on why/how you should watch/read One Piece. It's a monumental series to jump into, but man, it's a loving hell of a ride, and one of those "once you catch up, you hunger for more" types of series. Reading up through Arlong Park, which is basically the prologue of the series, is what most folks will recommend. The artstyle is certainly a divisive point, but it's also one of those things you adapt to extraordinarily quickly once you're actually reading it. Except how Oda's artstyle for women becomes ridiculous later on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZqnC-eVwrE&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtz2ZhKxFE&hd=1

thanks. i have thought about getting into it at some point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean they still exist but only two anime do it. Black Clover which is ending and will come back seasonal, and One Piece which is eternal and will never end.

Check out Jujutsu Kaisen it’s the current hot shonen and is just ending it’s first season

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yardbomb posted:

It bugs me so much man, that and never forget the anime doing a cool thing and giving Nico Robin a tan, which then gets robbed from her thanks to lame idiots.
according to Oda, iirc her "earth" origin would be Egypt, so it really sucks she's been whitewashed.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

if you do decide to, Shonen Jump has a monthly digital subscription for 2 bucks a month and lets you read every single chapter of every series they have available online. I think the limit is like, 100 chapters a day, which is way more than enough for most folks.

the one piece world is some crazy poo poo, like forget the characters etc(though they're fantastic as well), the geography, geology, animals, weather, everything is so nuts but somehow you basically never question it, it's just a wild-rear end setting and works so well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Re: Legend of Korra, the first season is alright, season 2 is some of the worst TV I've ever seen, and season 4 is amazing. The comics are really good as well, so if you only want to experience one medium of Korra you can read those instead (they're not adaptations).

Yardbomb posted:

Oof, I never noticed this. Every female character getting a wasp waist post-timeskip distracted me from the whitewashing. :kstarehair:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think my biggest hurtle getting into shonen is i dislike stuff with tons and tons of filler(which is ironic because i like Asscreed games and big rpgs) like i am sure the stories are great and cool but i can't get past the "lets have a 10 episode arc where we gently caress around on a side quest that won't mean poo poo until 300 episodes from now) or "the planet will explode in 5 mins" or the thing i hate in DBZ where its just Number battles after a while. like alprads video on the lovely game shows why i dislike those shows and many of the games based on them. because they are just the same story line over and over and death is meaningless most of the time.

You've probably heard this time and time again but check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The first part is 9 episodes and then it's done. And it's up to you if you want to continue past that.

JordanKai posted:

Re: Legend of Korra, the first season is alright, season 2 is some of the worst TV I've ever seen, and season 4 is amazing. The comics are really good as well, so if you only want to experience one medium of Korra you can read those instead (they're not adaptations).

Oof, I never noticed this. Every female character getting a wasp waist post-timeskip distracted me from the whitewashing. :kstarehair:

I think seasons 3 and 4 are when they finally figured out what they wanted to do with the show and it got really solid.

And I don't know what the hell happened with Robin. It's been a weird thing that happens with Square Enix but I don't have any other examples off the top of my head.
https://twitter.com/Loudwindow/status/1362963205824290830

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 21, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Also don't skip JoJo parts no matter what incredibly wrong people on the internet might say, all the stand stuff comes in Part 3 onward, but 1 and 2 are great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Part 1 and 2 kind of suck and part 3 goes on way to long. The rest are okay but rely way to much on exposition for stuff you can figure out yourself

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Also don't skip JoJo parts no matter what incredibly wrong people on the internet might say, all the stand stuff comes in Part 3 onward, but 1 and 2 are great.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Part 2 is the best and greatly improves Part 3.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

In what world is Part 2 not great

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean outside of Joseph it’s pretty boring and one of the Hereros is a Nazi that it tries to get around it by just never mentioning it

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The Pillar Men are cool antags though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t care about them but their theme song from the anime is extremely memorable

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Hel posted:

Not really, most of the pushback I see as a relative outsider are POC being sick of the unfiltered stuff leading to a lot of racist fan fiction, which signals that the space isn't for them. So it's not fan fiction of all stripes, it's fan fiction by people who aren't pushed away or excluded by the lovely stuff that they allow.
Either way, you see how "People who are offended get to determine what's allowed or not allowed on this archive" is a terrible response to that problem, right?

If a fandom is particularly racist, take it up with the fandom (or, y'know...don't, and stay in your lane and curate your own experience of the internet). The mission statement of the archive itself is fine, laudable even.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

according to Oda, iirc her "earth" origin would be Egypt, so it really sucks she's been whitewashed.

if you do decide to, Shonen Jump has a monthly digital subscription for 2 bucks a month and lets you read every single chapter of every series they have available online. I think the limit is like, 100 chapters a day, which is way more than enough for most folks.

the one piece world is some crazy poo poo, like forget the characters etc(though they're fantastic as well), the geography, geology, animals, weather, everything is so nuts but somehow you basically never question it, it's just a wild-rear end setting and works so well.

thanks. maybe next month.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Out of all the ways that people tried to recommend JoJo to me, the one that worked best was Chip and Ironicus podcast.

...But for some reason I can't find the dub for parts 1 & 2 anywhere. Well, nowhere legal anyway.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The only Jojo parts I've actually finished are 2, 3 and 4, and 3 is bad and I should have just dropped it.

The training arc stuff in 2 up until about when mr Nazi reappears is really good but 4 is definitely the best part.

I got I think about 25% into 7 and lost interest. It had a lot going for it honestly - main character, art, better connection between chapters than most other parts. But every chapter just felt like it was going through the motions and giving me deja vu from part 3. And at least part 3 promised Dio at the end, at the point I gave up I had no excitement or interest about the end of the journey in 7.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s funny considering most Jojo fans consider 7 the best one

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I concur that *most* of the pushback I see on AO3 is the puritanical poo poo.

The racist problem - which is being talked about from board memebers on down the line to individual users - is going to be much harder to solve because the tagging system is built around authors either acknowledging that there is a rape scene and tagging it non-con or tagging it "here be dragons."

A racist author is obviously not going to be doing either one of those things.

So you are back to individually vetting each fic, and with over 10 million fanworks that would be impossible with the budget they have.

There is an option where you can just read a currated set of fics by going though a collection, but that still requires a human to sit and vet every fic to make sure that it isn't racist before adding it to a "Not Racist Falcon and the Winter Solider Fanfiction" for example.

None of the other, non-curated fic sites that I've seen - even the one that is explicitly anti-racist in it's rules - has cracked this particular nut. Hell, I don't think the Amazon publishing arm has solved this either.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s funny considering most Jojo fans consider 7 the best one

Yeah that's why I decided to read it. I imagine it's like 4 where the really good stuff starts later on or something but I wasn't really invested in getting there.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Alacron posted:

Out of all the ways that people tried to recommend JoJo to me, the one that worked best was Chip and Ironicus podcast.

...But for some reason I can't find the dub for parts 1 & 2 anywhere. Well, nowhere legal anyway.

Netflix has it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

You've probably heard this time and time again but check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. The first part is 9 episodes and then it's done. And it's up to you if you want to continue past that.

I think seasons 3 and 4 are when they finally figured out what they wanted to do with the show and it got really solid.

And I don't know what the hell happened with Robin. It's been a weird thing that happens with Square Enix but I don't have any other examples off the top of my head.

i'm pretty sure the y'shtola one is just a very slight difference in lighting?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

Netflix has it.

All I'm seeing is Part 3 :saddowns:

Is this one of those things I'm gonna need a VPN for?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

no she's gotten very much paler

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Twincityhacker posted:

I concur that *most* of the pushback I see on AO3 is the puritanical poo poo.

The racist problem - which is being talked about from board memebers on down the line to individual users - is going to be much harder to solve because the tagging system is built around authors either acknowledging that there is a rape scene and tagging it non-con or tagging it "here be dragons."

A racist author is obviously not going to be doing either one of those things.

So you are back to individually vetting each fic, and with over 10 million fanworks that would be impossible with the budget they have.

There is an option where you can just read a currated set of fics by going though a collection, but that still requires a human to sit and vet every fic to make sure that it isn't racist before adding it to a "Not Racist Falcon and the Winter Solider Fanfiction" for example.

None of the other, non-curated fic sites that I've seen - even the one that is explicitly anti-racist in it's rules - has cracked this particular nut. Hell, I don't think the Amazon publishing arm has solved this either.

Why would amazon want to get rid of racism? They can profit from it and will probably keep doing so until credit card companies complain(which is never going to happen).

What you can do when you have rules is have a reporting system, you don't need to vet everything ahead of time but you can respond to it when it happens and then remove or tag it afterwards. Compare it to this forum, I'm free to write a post with ~50k letters of whatever I want and no one is going to vet it ahead of time, but if I break the rules it can be reported and edited and I get probated/banned.
The real problem with Ao3 being a free for all is that it isn't really just an archive, it's a publishing platform, and they really should have thought about stuff like this before launching because changing when it's live is so much harder and the damageis already done.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

i have heard good poo poo about jo jo.

on that tweet. yeah square is loving BAAAD with black characters/white washing. but i think but outsides the neir tribesmen and chick on the far right. the rest are all white/"white". its just bad lighting/old graphics/etc. like they have a very good point but it feels like some of the examples are badly shown.

Scholtz posted:

Netflix has it.

poo poo nice.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Alacron posted:

All I'm seeing is Part 3 :saddowns:

Is this one of those things I'm gonna need a VPN for?

poo poo, my bad. They had Part 2 as the art for it so I just figured. Looks like its on Hulu though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scholtz posted:

poo poo, my bad. They had Part 2 as the art for it so I just figured. Looks like its on Hulu though.

They did have the first couple of parts but they cycled out recently.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

JordanKai posted:

My gut impression of Legend of Korra is that an established creative team made it a point to step out of their usual comfort zone, only to frequently demonstrate the perils of not sticking to what you're good at. Film Crit Hulk had a similar idea:

Film Crit Hulk watches Season 1, Episode 12 posted:

Going into this episode I mused, “I can’t believe this was written by the same people!”

… And that’s when I realized it wasn’t.

For some reason I had it mixed up at in my mind that Avatar creators, directors, and producers Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino were also part of the core writing team, but that honor instead belongs to John O’Bryan, Aaron Ehasz, Elizabeth Welch Ehasz, Tim Hedrick, Joshua Hamilton, May Chan, James Eagan and many more talented staff writers. This is not a knock on Konietzko and DiMartino, as I perfectly understand that creativity and ideas come from teams that spread out even further than that. But I also understand that writing is a craft in its own right. And writing “a good episode of television” really requires nuances and a sense of know-how that makes story function come to the forefront. And with Avatar, it came to the loving forefront. I was just going over JM Mutore’s ranking of episodes and remembered just how much Avatar was nearly a pitch-perfect show full of layered execution of the fundamentals. It was a show build of the tenets of drama and properly setting up turns and throwing you into a character’s headspace with abject clarity.

Meanwhile, The Legend of Korra has felt radically different. You can see the big ideas. The same sense of the humor. The striking visuals. But you’ve also seen me rail episode after episode when it comes to about the misordering of basic story information, the lack of clarity, and the inability to track a character’s interiority. Thinking it was the same writers, I was so confused. I thought they were hiding and giving into bad instincts. But now I realize it’s a perfect example of what happens when directors waltz in and assume they can write.

Because make no mistake, it is precisely the problems we’ve seen in Season One that separate established TV writers from those who do their best impersonation of writing. I realize that phrasing may sound harsh, but I do not want it to be. Bryan and Michael are obviously incredible at so many things. Their sense of fun and world building and style is unparalleled. There is not a person who can take that away. What I hope the phrasing does is make you realize how hard it is to write television and how much incredible discipline it takes. And ultimately, the difference between the two shows does all the harsh illumination for us.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

on that tweet. yeah square is loving BAAAD with black characters/white washing. but i think but outsides the neir tribesmen and chick on the far right. the rest are all white/"white". its just bad lighting/old graphics/etc. like they have a very good point but it feels like some of the examples are badly shown.

Gaius (third from the left) does actually have a brown skin tone in game. I dunno what the gently caress's going on with that concept art.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 21, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

And anyone wonders why piracy still persists, all these sites are trying to recreate the divided all to hell TV package problems that spurred so much of it before.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Scholtz posted:

SO IT IS, thank you!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah that's why I decided to read it. I imagine it's like 4 where the really good stuff starts later on or something but I wasn't really invested in getting there.

SBR is really slow to get really interesting, especially coming off how batshit nuts Stone Ocean gets. Somewhere around the Blackmore fight is where it picked up for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love Part 7 from day one because it's all about Gyro and Johnny.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Archer666 posted:

completely checked out during the Gentle thief thing
I have no idea how you check out of an arc that is both the best one of the series and also one of the shortest recent ones but I can understand thinking MHA spun it's wheels for long time until like five chapters ago

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, insofar as y'shtola has an ethnicity (given that she's a fuckin anime catgirl in a jrpg) she both started out with a noticeably darker tone than she currently does and comes from a people who live in the desert and tend to be, at the least, noticeably tanned on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Augus posted:

From ARR through to Stormblood her character model had the same skin tone (#A88369). In Shadowbringers her skin tone shifted to a lighter shade (#CEA382).

This could probably be explained by her starting to lose her tan by living in the shade the entire time, but who knows. As for Gaius, yeah that's just the artist being weird.