Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Arist posted:

I feel like Game Pass is stretching credibility just a bit there.

Every Yakuza game that's on PC except 7 is on there, so is every kingdom hearts including 3. That's actually believable if Sega finally exerts their mentality to port to PC to them like the rest of the company.

The 4chan post is still bullshit for failing on the SMTV news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fair. I was just thinking about Atlus, not Sega in general.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Endorph posted:

in the original jp haru speaks more politely/demurely than the other characters to get across shes a rich kinda sheltered girl. the persona 5 translation isnt very good. thats about it.

Strikers is a lot better in that regard; Haru sounds much more natural there.

Mitsuru did the 'rich sheltered heiress' much better really.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf mitsuru and haru are kinda different. mitsuru was expected to take over the company, haru wasnt. their personalities reflect that, where mitsuru's harsh and collected and harus sweet and demure. (and both have basically the others personality hidden away beneath that)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Do you not craft elemental/forces sets in p5r, or did I just miss seeing them? At Okumura's and I could've sworn I should be able to by now.

From memory you need Morgana at rank 6 - which is at the end of July

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I have a take

Last Resort is cheap as poo poo and I’m glad no enemy in Persona 5 uses it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have a take

Last Resort is cheap as poo poo and I’m glad no enemy in Persona 5 uses it.
What, you mean you don't love browning your pants every time someone misses on the attack meant to finish off a pair of floating dice?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Today was the first and only time I’ve ever seen quicksand in mementos. I didn’t even know it was a thing and I’ve played through both versions of the game multiple times.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A talking coyote posted:

Today was the first and only time I’ve ever seen quicksand in mementos. I didn’t even know it was a thing and I’ve played through both versions of the game multiple times.

I am not sure what you are referring to but with Royal they added special floors that change how everything operates so you can end up with it just being the floor being a straight line or full of treasure demons.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Hunt11 posted:

I am not sure what you are referring to but with Royal they added special floors that change how everything operates so you can end up with it just being the floor being a straight line or full of treasure demons.

I was driving through then the car suddenly stopped sunk into the floor and then I was in a random area of the next floor down. Everything else about the floor was completely standard.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's a P5R thing, it happens in dark floors mostly. You can see it with Third Eye active, though just driving around like that sucks.

I really wish Ohya could do rumors to change Mementos like P2 or something.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah that's a P5R thing, it happens in dark floors mostly. You can see it with Third Eye active, though just driving around like that sucks.

Oh drat, having Ohya alter Mementos through articles makes sooooo much more sense than alert levels.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah, that would have been much better than alert levels, which have almost no effect and are trivial to manage yourself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

:five:

gently caress, that's amazing. Someone please figure out a way to mod P5 and make this change.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That would've made Ohya so much more useful, oh man

If Ohya did what Jose does with stamps in Royal she'd be a top-tier confidant

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

The other thing I wish she had was taking a mechanical effect off Chihaya (who, let's face it, is seriously OP) - instead of an Affinity Reading Ohya writes a public interest story about something that interests your confidant in question. Who then mentions it to you next time you meet up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks to the thread for pointing out the IK skill. Makes Mementos a whole lot better.

Also, this (October)deathmarch to the Okumura deadline is anxiety inducing

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It’s oddly comforting that the crowds in this game are full of people wearing masks. I know that’s just like, how it is in Asia even without a pandemic but it just feels nice

Edit: Big Huge P5R November Spoilers ahead

Akechi turning full Hitlerjugend is wild. There’s a little too much exposition all at once after the Big Fake, given that the Phantom Thieves’ entire plan plus the villains happily explaining literally everything to each other come back to back. The heist is fun and Shido is a very on-the-nose political villain who I am going to enjoy pantsing in front of the entire country. The whole sequence of replaying the opening of the game is also dope, I knew it was gonna happen but I had forgotten exactly who was speaking since I didn’t know anyone and I had also forgotten that Kasumi comes to bail me out.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 21, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The 'villains cackling evilly to each other' scenes during that period are generally made fun of. It's an exposition tool that's so transparent it's laughable.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean at least they're an improvement over 'SIU Director cackles evilly to himself', if only barely.

And he hasn't seen the real dumb 'villains cackling evilly to each other scene' yet anyway.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s oddly comforting that the crowds in this game are full of people wearing masks. I know that’s just like, how it is in Asia even without a pandemic but it just feels nice

Edit: Big Huge P5R November Spoilers ahead

Akechi turning full Hitlerjugend is wild. There’s a little too much exposition all at once after the Big Fake, given that the Phantom Thieves’ entire plan plus the villains happily explaining literally everything to each other come back to back. The heist is fun and Shido is a very on-the-nose political villain who I am going to enjoy pantsing in front of the entire country. The whole sequence of replaying the opening of the game is also dope, I knew it was gonna happen but I had forgotten exactly who was speaking since I didn’t know anyone and I had also forgotten that Kasumi comes to bail me out.

I actually like how they did the telling of the story through the interrogation throughout the game and the eventual replay of the start of the game to connect the dots. One of the biggest gripes big RPG games like this have is that if you don't play it continuously over a short period of time you forget the story and the way they handled reminding you of what happened whilst not completely halting the flow of the game was great. Certainly made it a better entry game for the series.

though I'm not a huge fan of massive exposition info dumps overall. In comparison to Kojima's games which have it constantly I think P5 did a pretty good job. I think including the animation helped with story telling too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I liked the interrogation structure, but I think the exposition dumps that are bad are when Akechi and Shido are delivering evil monologues to one another about all the evil things they do together and already know. For me, the worst part of that is that the Phantom Thieves later learn everything that comes up in those exposition dumps while infiltrating Shido's Palace, in a much more natural way (learning it from Shido's cognitions and from Akechi when he confronts them). The multiple "evilly monologue to each other" scenes are completely unnecessary and don't even tell the player anything the player won't find out in a different, better way soon.

To be clear I love the game and it's probably my favorite Persona game, but that part's just comically bad to me.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah, P4 did villain scenes, but it was always something like "Unknown voice: "Again?"", or the hilarious "Unknown voice: "..."".

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
After sinking a bunch of hours into p4g I was going to wait a while before I jumped into p5

then I bought it last night because I am a goddamn animal with no self control

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

After sinking a bunch of hours into p4g I was going to wait a while before I jumped into p5

then I bought it last night because I am a goddamn animal with no self control

I did the same but from P5 to P4. Finished P5R after sinking in over 135hours. Told myself I would take a break and work on some of my other backlog games. Then two days later found myself playing P4G.

These games are addictive.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The random scene between palace 4 and 5 with Kasumi awakening her persona, then not joining us seems pointless but I will say the music for presumably the 9th palace is pretty good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

The random scene between palace 4 and 5 with Kasumi awakening her persona, then not joining us seems pointless but I will say the music for presumably the 9th palace is pretty good.

I was just thinking yesterday about how (spoilers up to the end of the base game, no third semester spoilers) if a player didn't max the one confidant required for the third semester, Kasumi would be an extremely confusing presence in the game. She gets a spotlight moment in the intro, is a mostly normal schoolmate confidant that only has five ranks for some reason, gets a magical girl transformation Persona awakening, then... doesn't join? And then the story progresses and the game ends and she still hasn't joined?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't you need to max two confidants this time?

I looked it up after losing the P4G ending because of a strong dislike for marie.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Don't you need to max two confidants this time?

I looked it up after losing the P4G ending because of a strong dislike for marie.

Just one, believe it or not.

Specifically: you need to reach rank 9 in the Councillor confidant by November 17. Rank 10 will be automatic after that. Two other confidants (one of them being Kasumi, the other being a bit more spoilery) are also important in the third semester, and it does matter if you max them before their deadlines, but you won't be locked out of the third semester if you don't.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The game makes me feel like a prick every time I reject a confession. :negative:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never reject anyone, except Marie

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Now that I am starting to get my confidants to rank 6-7 in my P4G playthrough I have to ask the important question of....

.... is there a penalty to dating multiple girls like in P5? Are you even able to? Also is the dialogue option to initialize a relationship pretty clear?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You get one of the funniest scenes in the game if you do, the prompts are pretty clear, and you can date multiple girls

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Now that I am starting to get my confidants to rank 6-7 in my P4G playthrough I have to ask the important question of....

.... is there a penalty to dating multiple girls like in P5? Are you even able to? Also is the dialogue option to initialize a relationship pretty clear?

There is a penalty and the game makes it very clear when it is time to make your choice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

You get one of the funniest scenes in the game if you do
As well as several of the most heartbreaking.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

As well as several of the most heartbreaking.

yeah, seriously, P5's bad valentine is nothing compared to P4's.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In P5 you get a comical scene in which Joker gets owned

In P4, you, the player, get owned

In P3 you get to fuse Orpheus Telos

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

yeah, seriously, P5's bad valentine is nothing compared to P4's.
Jesus Christ, Naoto saying she’s a terrible detective because there’s a mystery that she doesn’t want to solve. :smith:

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Harrow posted:

In P5 you get a comical scene in which Joker gets owned

In P4, you, the player, get owned

In P3 you get to fuse Orpheus Telos

Sorta off topic, but the difference in treatment got me thinking:

Back when I first played P3 I wasn't really aware of RPG tropes so the male Protagonist being this apathetic weirdo who seems to be loved by everyone and gets Power-of-Friendship upgrades just for hanging around (and is, at worst, an enabler and a callous womanizer) yet becomes this universally adored sacrificial hero felt weirdly subversive. Like someone had set out to write a parody of messianic clichés where the guy does nothing remarkable but still inxeplicably changes lives all around around him.

Then once I got into the next games I got a better hang on what the series' going for (and how it's really not at all interested in that kind of considerations), but he still stands out quite a bit from the following protagonists. The P3P female Protagonist and the P4 and P5 ones are still self-insert power fantasies but even if they're goofball they actually feel like coherent characters, you can see what motivates them, why people like them and come to rely on them.

It's much harder to "get" the P3 Protagonist beyond the more general "seize the day" theme and the implication that he's depressed or neuroatypical in some way because he feels severely alienated from his surrounding in a way the game never really adresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is my new favorite interpretation of P3MC.