Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Communist Thoughts posted:

Rurouni kenshin guy was a huge pedo guy right?

yep, so’s the dude who wrote act age

the dude who wrote made in abyss is also a pedo in the proclivity sense if not the legal one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Psalms of Planet Eureka Seven.

It has some violence so it depends on the kid's age.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Declan MacManus posted:

the dude who wrote made in abyss is also a pedo in the proclivity sense if not the legal one
i am jack's complete lack of surprise.

VideoTapir has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Mar 19, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

this but also space runway ideon

tank u for the reminder i need to finish ideon i’ve tried to start it a few times but burn out within the first dozen or so episodes before things evidently get wild

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/moe_kaito/status/1372366994406785029?s=20

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Shirobako probably isn't bad for kids

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
just watch spirited away op, kids love that poo poo

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Declan MacManus posted:

Well there's a whole list of reasons you shouldn't show that to your kids, though.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

yep, so’s the dude who wrote act age

these fellas don't know how to act their age

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Little Witch Academia is probably a good one for kids

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

Little Witch Academia is probably a good one for kids

Actually a perfect answer

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

watch planetes you loving losers.

Planetes is so ridiculously good, it totally didn’t land for me when I first watched it but now that I’m older and a leftist etc, the show hits like a truck and weaves a ton of complicated ideas really really well

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

slayers is excellent but its weird fixation on body shaming a 15 year old makes it kinda iffy for kids.

Zurtilik posted:

The "flat chested" girl with like C cups.

wtf

anime really was a mistake

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
never not LWA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nzwuGZizEs

also, most planetes is really really good but i also really disliked the last 6 or so episodes

Serf
May 5, 2011

a friend recommended this show called dr. stone to me and i ended up really enjoying the formula of "here's a problem, now here are all the steps we're gonna take to solve it." its very satisfying television. also none of the characters really annoy me, which is rare for anime. i like suika, the girl with the watermelon helmet. her rolling around inside it and spying on people is funny to me. also the scene where they fix her vision by putting glasses lenses in the helmet was very touching. i liked how there was no dialogue, just a few shots of her taking in the sunflowers clearly for the first time in her life. it reminded me of when i got my first prosthetic leg and could walk around again

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

dr stone is good. solving problems with science, going on adventures so you can do more science. Friendship etc. Shows good.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think what really makes Dr. Stone good imo is how important the stone age characters are, and basically implies that modern people aren't any more inherently intelligent than people from more primitive times, we just have more accumulated knowledge. Even after more modern era people get revived, Chrome/Kaseki/Suika/Kohaku all remain really important.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Zerilan posted:

I think what really makes Dr. Stone good imo is how important the stone age characters are, and basically implies that modern people aren't any more inherently intelligent than people from more primitive times, we just have more accumulated knowledge. Even after more modern era people get revived, Chrome/Kaseki/Suika/Kohaku all remain really important.

yeah! and i like that its not wonder-man from the future/past does it all. he points out that industrial society requires a group of people to make work, so he can't just go it alone. and senku isn't even like a super-genius, he's just recreating things from the past, he's like a dude with an encyclopedic memory. he's only smarter than everyone else in the sense that he remembers all this poo poo and how to make it happen

also the villain makes some good points about people trying to re-assert their old power structures, but his idea that the criteria for being revived is youth and physical might is pretty dumb. his views aren't rooted in class and that's why they fall apart

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The antagonist is fundamentally just an anarcho-primitivist and that's why he's terrible. Even if he succeeded, eventually he'd die and his kingdom would one day get usurped by some other tribe that splintered off and developed technology. It would take thousands of years but we'd eventually end up back where we are now anyway. The only difference is the millions or billions of people who would die along the way from cholera and pneumonia and other horrible poo poo that modern technology helps us with

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

y’all have sold me on dr stone, namaste

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the double zeta gundam sucks rear end gently caress this combining gimmick

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

why are you posting not anime in the anime thread?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its still part of the gundam franchise, regardless!!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Stairmaster posted:

then they gotta buy two toys!

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Southpaugh posted:

dr stone is good. solving problems with science, going on adventures so you can do more science. Friendship etc. Shows good.

this weeks episode had some of my absolutely fav cliches. the high five, the OP playing through that fight sequence, it ruled too much

elaboration has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Mar 21, 2021

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i guess i should watch dr stone now

and sssssssss.gridman before the next sssssss. show starts?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
SSSS.Gridman, when Gridman misses his flight after being denied boarding pending secondary security inspection, because an IRA dude last seen in 1964 went by Donny O'Grid.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

VideoTapir posted:

then they gotta buy two toys!

Uhg the proper term is that it is more Toyetic.

”Toyetic” is an extremely cursed word and thinking back, I can’t believe how much TV I watched as a kid was just barely a fraction of a step above literal toy commercials.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There are some pieces of knowledge that displace a piece of your soul

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

wolfs posted:

i guess i should watch dr stone now

and sssssssss.gridman before the next sssssss. show starts?

SSSS.Gridman is really good.

Stairmaster posted:

its still part of the gundam franchise, regardless!!

Speaking of which, Gundam is finally doing a second live action show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GP4PDnKH8

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i'm surprised that in this creatively bankrupt ip hungry era that nobody in the west has tried to do live action mecha poo poo besides pacific rim and i guess transformers technically (but that's not piloting so not really)

bandai probably wouldn't even charge that much to license the robot designs and you could get by with no-names and a "red dawn with all the names changed" plot as long as you had rx-78

Pulcinella posted:

Uhg the proper term is that it is more Toyetic.

”Toyetic” is an extremely cursed word and thinking back, I can’t believe how much TV I watched as a kid was just barely a fraction of a step above literal toy commercials.

if it's any comfort to you, most of the programming you watch exists to sell you things now as an adult

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
This is supposedly happening

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you liked Gridman you'll like Gatchaman if you haven't watched it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

SSSS.Gridman is great and Gatchaman Crowds and Insight are favorites of mine. kind of distressed that Kenji Nakamura has gone 6 years without a show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

huh, why is that comet yellow?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Gripweed posted:

our saviour

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really love how blatant the opening of Gundam 00 was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLZYEtq2xUg

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I really love how blatant the opening of Gundam 00 was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLZYEtq2xUg

And then, like all modern Gundam series, season 2 happened.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Clip-On Fedora posted:

And then, like all modern Gundam series, season 2 happened.

Build Divers Re:Rise is not only really good, it retroactively makes the previous terrible season a little better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Build Divers Re:Rise is not only really good, it retroactively makes the previous terrible season a little better.

That sounds promising. I will check it out.