Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

When did Hans Landa get an account?

September 11, 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

So the Gorilla Men were once enslaved by the humans and are typically stereotyped as dull, brutish, and primitive haha no relax I see your concerns but these dark-skinned proto-hominids are actually surprisingly intelligent given their ape-like wait come back

Hey, you are the one making that post.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Splicer posted:

So the Gorilla Men were once enslaved by the humans and are typically stereotyped as dull, brutish, and primitive haha no relax I see your concerns but these dark-skinned proto-hominids are actually surprisingly intelligent given their ape-like wait come back

It really depends if you're trying to tell a story about racism and discrimination, or just add them in because "it reminds me of something not sure here's some fluff guys".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Really the whole, "This species are mostly traders and merchants" thing is problematic when you think about it. Like the whole "noble warrior race" trope, someone's gotta be doing the farming and crafting, you can't all be warriors unless your society is in a death spiral

You can be like, "Oh well they have +2 to charisma so that helps them do those jobs" but really a +2 to a stat is a tiny concern if you're not playing a points-buy adventurer.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If you make a society that's just a collection of real world stereotypes, then yeah that's bad. Fantasy cultures and beings can and should do weird poo poo, so I don't think it's inherently problematic to have over-specialization. Like with a lot of this stuff, the execution and details can make or break any particular concept.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Gort posted:

Really the whole, "This species are mostly traders and merchants" thing is problematic when you think about it. Like the whole "noble warrior race" trope, someone's gotta be doing the farming and crafting, you can't all be warriors unless your society is in a death spiral

You can be like, "Oh well they have +2 to charisma so that helps them do those jobs" but really a +2 to a stat is a tiny concern if you're not playing a points-buy adventurer.

Having a preponderance of itinerant traders is a natural consequence of bigotry and violence against a group. As is having close-knit communities living together in one part of a city. You would expect to see a lot of people who are able to pack up and go when things look bad, and you would expect the ones who can't pack up and go to live close together for mutual protection.

You see those things not just with Jewish communities in Europe, but with other minority ethnic groups as well like the Romani. We have Chinatowns and Little Italy's in nearly every major North American city because of racism. So if you have racism in your setting, those things are just sensible inclusions.

Other things are much more historically contingent. Like the Jewish community having a lot of bankers. That came from specific Christian laws in Europe and you would not usually expect your oppressed fantasy ethnic group to have a lot of bankers. Same thing with having fortune tellers and living in wagons - those are specific to a particular group and not common among many or all oppressed minorities. Including details like those will make it seem like you are drawing a direct real-world parallel to a specific group, and you don't want to be doing that with rat people.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I only peak around in here from time to time, but is there a thread where its okay for users to plug their indie RPG releases?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Does "less than five" or "four or fewer" read easier if you're trying to convey something like "target 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 enemies"? Ignore the specific numbers here

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Countblanc posted:

Does "less than five" or "four or fewer" read easier if you're trying to convey something like "target 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 enemies"? Ignore the specific numbers here

Definitely "four or fewer", of those two options.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 19, 2021

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Maybe "Up to 4" would work too?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Jimbozig posted:

Having a preponderance of itinerant traders is a natural consequence of bigotry and violence against a group. As is having close-knit communities living together in one part of a city. You would expect to see a lot of people who are able to pack up and go when things look bad, and you would expect the ones who can't pack up and go to live close together for mutual protection.

You see those things not just with Jewish communities in Europe, but with other minority ethnic groups as well like the Romani. We have Chinatowns and Little Italy's in nearly every major North American city because of racism. So if you have racism in your setting, those things are just sensible inclusions.

Other things are much more historically contingent. Like the Jewish community having a lot of bankers. That came from specific Christian laws in Europe and you would not usually expect your oppressed fantasy ethnic group to have a lot of bankers. Same thing with having fortune tellers and living in wagons - those are specific to a particular group and not common among many or all oppressed minorities. Including details like those will make it seem like you are drawing a direct real-world parallel to a specific group, and you don't want to be doing that with rat people.

An interesting, potentially less problematic population to look towards as a reference for a mercantile population is the Jains of India. Their religious strictures all but forbid them from engage in violence, and they've generally drifted towards taking roles in the mercantile and academic layers of Indian culture.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ablative posted:

I would go with this.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
You should also make it clear than 0 is an option if it is, perhaps by using "may" in the introducing line.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alright, thanks all

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

RocketLunatic posted:

I only peak around in here from time to time, but is there a thread where its okay for users to plug their indie RPG releases?

It's fine to mention/plug your releases in this thread - once, per product/release; and, if you're running a Kickstarter, you may also link to one in the Kickstarter thread (again, just once please); and, you may make a new thread specifically about your game or line of games, if you want.

But: please don't spam. Consider purchasing a banner ad that points at your product page or your game thread. Don't just drop a post about your game and then abandon a thread, because what you should be doing is providing an opportunity for people who want to to have a conversation about your thing, with you as well as with one another. Don't use TG threads solely as a way to advertise, basically: for that, ad purchases are the way to go.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Haystack posted:

An interesting, potentially less problematic population to look towards as a reference for a mercantile population is the Jains of India. Their religious strictures all but forbid them from engage in violence, and they've generally drifted towards taking roles in the mercantile and academic layers of Indian culture.

And the British Quakers had a similar relationship to both banking and chocolate making and confectionary for a range of reasons, many of which are related.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Are any of y'all real familiar with Tabletop Simulator? I'm trying to find models to fit a horror theme but so far all I've really found is one kaiju set, one set of single color universal monsters with no texture (which makes it really hard to tell what the pieces are supposed to be even if you mess with specularity) and like a few zombies here and there.

I understand a lot of board games have very basic game pieces and conjure up their atmosphere entirely through the art on cards and such, but I was kind of hoping that one of the hundreds of games recreated in TTS or one of the hundreds of models ripped from video games would happen to have a recognizable Dracula or Jason something.

I'd really like to have even one slasher miniature, it doesn't even have to be a recognizable one, it can just be a burly guy with a hook.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Models is kind of tough, since they need to have 3D meshes (or whatever they're called). The one part of the TTS community that I know makes models like crazy is the wargaming side, specifically 40k and Infiniti. Which are both pretty scifi but I think at least chaos daemons in 40k should have a few models that are pretty horror-y.

If you don't feel the need to do models and are willing to work with tokens, those are legitimately pretty easy to make on your own. I made a bunch of tokens for hexagonal grid Lancer a while back and my basic strategy was to use GIMP to make the "shape" of the token by making everything but the shape transparent, then paste the chose image into the selected non-transparent region, and then import that as a custom token inside TTS. This was effectively like taking a page of art and then punching a token-shaped hole in the page, once I got it down to an art it was just a few minutes to convert a new image into a token.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ablative posted:

Up to, and including, four.

Otherwise it's ambiguous

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Just say "0-4" and save yourself a few words.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just give the range you actually mean, like "0-4 targets".

e: lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do you guys handle a game where you just run out of ideas for future sessions?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I think at that point you can ask the players where they'd like to go next and see if that juices your creativity any.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There are two features of game design that I consider pretty key before playing or running them: does the system generate hooks, and do the players collaborate in the GMing? The first part isn't strictly necessary but I do consider it a truly significant plus to play an RPG where standing still is legitimately harder for the players than keeping moving. If the second part isn't built into the system by default I push it in, which is legitimately pretty easy. Just add to your list of GM actions "throw it to the players" - Player 1 beefed her acrobats check and falls, what does Player 2 think she falls into? Player 2 runs into an old acquaintance at the fair, what does Player 1 think that acquaintance has been up to in the meantime and how pissed are they about the lack of contact?

At a bigger level you can just talk to the players about it out of character. "I'm kind of out of ideas for the campaign, what do you guys think?" It's entirely possible there's some unresolved plot hook the players want to get back into that you didn't think was that important or that you forgot about, or its possible everybody's out of ideas, in which case probably good to think about starting a new campaign.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My next plan after this current one is to have the ex boyfriend of one of the PCs go missing on a monster hunt. The bad guy is going to just be the house from the internet horror story Dionea House but after that I'm kind of out of ideas

I was playing Control and I really like the motel thats everywhere and nowhere and wanted to figure out how to have that show up in my game and then I remembered the short story about the connected houses that ate people and I'm going to lean heavily into that. I see no reason my players can't murder a house

Edit: to the poster above, I did give them a heads up that plot wise I have no main campaign arc and I'm running low on ideas so the next story might be the wrap up for a bit

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Len posted:

How do you guys handle a game where you just run out of ideas for future sessions?

Yeah. Just be up front about it and see what they want to do.

Or suggest a one shot palate cleanser.

You could also take the ol “Yes and” approach. Let them dictate where it might go and let their answers be right for a while.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Len posted:

I dig into weird unrelated games and their self contained adventures and crib what I can once I identify a theme missing from the last few sessions.

Pulling some Dark Ages Cthulhu into Pendragon was probably the weirdest I've done.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I have a personal knowledge base (Obsidian.md) for my campaign, which affords me the ability to go to a random page of my campaign. Might be a GMC, might be a location, might be an abandoned plot line. After I write-up a plan for a session (or sometimes before), I'll grab 3-5 random pages and try to work them into the campaign. (I'll cheat and keep randomizing until I get 3-5 I want.)

By ensuring that the plot is constantly bringing the past to the present, I find there's always more to do. I feel like every session ends with more hooks than it started. Don't leave good ideas fallow in the past.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Len posted:

I get really drunk and just start typing whatever comes to mind. Sometimes I will read my PCs' backstories or go through the running campaign log while I drink, or I'll read through modules for other games of a similar theme.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yawgmoth posted:

I get really drunk and just start typing whatever comes to mind.

That explains a lot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Men with guns bust in and interrupt the current goings-on

Let their suspicions guide you

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

An anonymous note reading "I know what you did"

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Especially effective in a medieval setting

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Len posted:

Honestly, I'm a bit of a hack, and pull ideas from old NES/SNES games.

For example, I'm planning on running a game where the players will start as fairly high level adventurers storming the tower of the bad guy, then having essentially a timed fight against the boss once they reach his sanctum (I'm thinking taking 5 turns in combat before doing a face to white kinda deal, leaving the result ambiguous until later in the campaign, unless the combat actually ends before that happens). Next session, I'll have them create new characters as descendants of the previous group, with the caveat that they can't create a descendant of the person they were playing as. This whole opening was stolen basically wholesale from Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals, and I've had it work with the group I'd tried it with back during my college days.

Another really interesting idea is to have rumors of a cult in the town the players are heading to, something involving a powerful something rising from the depths again. If they manage to find one of the cultists (however they may manage that), they will find a small blue crystal orb on their person. A nearby lake happens to have a monument on the shoreline, with an ever-so-convenient place to rest something small and spherical. When the correct object is placed, something underwater shifts, allowing the lake to reveal a passage under the water (exactly how, I'll leave up to you). Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest may have had some funky translation issues, but once past that there are some neat ideas that can be used with a little tweaking to fit in your game world.

When pulling ideas from games, obviously other RPGs are going to have the lion's share of good ideas and situations, but don't overlook other genres, either. For example, the children of a local hunting and trapping town are going missing, and if the parents are lucky the body will wash up on the shore of the local lake a week later, nearly dismembered by slashes from a large blade and desiccated despite being waterlogged. At the same time, the noises coming from the nearby woods come and go, sounding almost inhuman, and it is at their worst that a child will go missing from their home. It is up to the players to find what is causing these deaths, and to put an end to everything. As they explore the woods, they will not only come across a giant chasing them down with a large machete, but also the severed head of a demon, the only remnant of a terrible fiend that drained souls from the living. Centuries ago, the demon was decapitated, the body burned and the head sealed away; only recently when the local woodsmen unknowingly destroyed the seals did the demon find itself back in this world, and quickly corrupting the minor deity of the lake nearby in order to cull the youth and restore its body. You could probably obfuscate that a little more, because it's a little too on the nose for people familiar with Friday the 13th, but you see where I'm going with this.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Len posted:

Well, it doesn't hurt to look for outside inspiration, or be honest with the players like you already have. I'd lean towards having a season wrap up. Wrap up some loose ends tied to what's happened so far. Then essentially have another session 0 with added questions about what players felt worked and didn't. Discuss what they'd like to see if you keep going. They might be fine with that game ending or taking a break, or 100% down with stuff that doesn't build towards anything bigger for a little bit.
Who knows an NPC they take a liking to -or build a rivalry with- could form the hook that launches the next season.
I also tend to like doing a bit of a time skip if going with a new season so anything like swapped characters, locations, or plot shifts can make sense.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I need to run a couple of good one-shots, I saw someone link a fun looking sci-fi system for them recently. Anyone have that? Or other good systems for running a one-shot with a DM?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Aardvark! posted:

I need to run a couple of good one-shots, I saw someone link a fun looking sci-fi system for them recently. Anyone have that? Or other good systems for running a one-shot with a DM?

What type of one shot are you looking for? My first instinct is Lasers and Feelings but I’m guessing you’re looking for more game

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aardvark! posted:

Was it Danger Patrol?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

thetoughestbean posted:

What type of one shot are you looking for? My first instinct is Lasers and Feelings but I’m guessing you’re looking for more game

That's the one I was thinking of but didn't know how to Google it. Thanks!

This seems fun too. I think my group still wants some amount of rolling/gaminess, so these couple page games are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aardvark! posted:

That's the one I was thinking of but didn't know how to Google it. Thanks!

This seems fun too. I think my group still wants some amount of rolling/gaminess, so these couple page games are great.
Go for the beta it's got more game than then pocket edition and if you have any questions pm me.

It's not my game it's just my favourite game ever.