Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AndyKimNJ/status/1373282035633119233

according to this thread the state department bans ethnic korean americans from working on korean adjacent diplomacy

all of a sudden the chronic stupidity of this countrys korea policy makes a lot more sense

Why does the US military spend millions training non koreans to speak the language (and having half of them fail not because the language is hard but because they didn't choose korean and don't give a gently caress) when there are a couple million koreans in the US who would at least have connections to the language and therefore some motivation?

I am pretty sure it is so there is a supply of korean speakers who can spy on south korea...I am not sure that non koreans are any less risk for blabbing to NK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joyboy
Mar 18, 2021

I'm sure everyone feels the same.

VideoTapir posted:

Why does the US military spend millions training non koreans to speak the language (and having half of them fail not because the language is hard but because they didn't choose korean and don't give a gently caress) when there are a couple million koreans in the US who would at least have connections to the language and therefore some motivation?

I am pretty sure it is so there is a supply of korean speakers who can spy on south korea...I am not sure that non koreans are any less risk for blabbing to NK.

you realize a lot of korean-americans don't speak korean right

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joyboy posted:

I looked it up, there are 1 million Korean-Americans who were born in South Korea. I figure most of them speak Korean. The number of non-Korean people who weren't born in Korea and are fluent in Korean must be close to zero.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Time to draft em

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol love the presumption that asian americans need to step forward to join the military as they rev up for poo poo against korea and china

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

including andy kim himself which makes the whole situation even more ridiculous dude didnt even want to go to korea they just went out of there way to tell him that it was against the rules because he might be a fifth columnist

and of course all of this doesnt even get into the fact that in theory the united states doesnt have any competing interests with south korea literally the entire moral foundation of our continued occupation of the korean peninsula is that were only there because they want us to be there

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That Cardi B article seem to be origined from the angle "must not acknowledge any good policy idea from the CCP", therefore anything coming out of China has to be explained by "good propaganda war effort" or "bad propaganda war effort".

It paints a picture of guy who consumes too much twitter. Those "most popular English China tweets of the week" embedded after the article don't help either.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Joyboy posted:

Yes.

quote:

would at least have connections to the language

Like immediate or distant family, or a desire to connect with ancestral roots. Like some people I have known.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheLaurenChen/status/1372655731762204674

https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1373453863446048775
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1373454256150343683
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1373458759884869632
https://twitter.com/RadishHarmers/status/1373458760891502593

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it’s interesting how Asian Americans are treated as interchangeable with Asians even on the forums

you don’t see Italian American or more generally Euro-American discourse being tied to Europe for example

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

it’s interesting how Asian Americans are treated as interchangeable with Asians even on the forums

you don’t see Italian American or more generally Euro-American discourse being tied to Europe for example

shrike82 posted:

i mean the least negative interpretation is that Chinese live within an ethnic monoculture so they're blind to issues like this but this doesn't bode well for working with African Americans for example

:thunk:

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
cant wait for shryke to call my brothers fake again

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol weren’t you the guy talking about massacring thieves and how Africans couldn’t build anything until China came along

sounds pretty dubious to me

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
aw yeah, theres the content i crave

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
guy completely oblivious to how much ordinary africans despise their utterly corrupt post-colonial governments: "yeah that sounds fake to me, the british left behind some really functional states and furthermore i think youre a whitey afrikaner nazi and lying about having black friends"

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm (kind of) from Xinjiang and most of my (relevant) family still live there. NATO (Turkey) is currently arming and training tens of thousands of Uygur jihadists who have carved out an Al Qaeda state in Syria by ethnically cleansing Shi'ites and Christians. The ultimate goal is probably not to establish a Uygur homeland in Syria but to release them back in to China. A large part of the current repressive policies started/intensified right around when the Syrian civil war really kicked off - draw your own conclusions on that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reminder that acab includes forum cops.

Edit: though we seem to have changed from genocide to "religious/ethnic crackdowns"

Junkozeyne has issued a correction as of 09:56 on Mar 21, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Yeah let's not listen to anyone who might have firsthand knowledge. I am gonna go with the Zinjang crew on this one.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

John_A_Tallon posted:

Specifically, that's 104 Proof.

best war ever

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

Significantly improving the material conditions and quality of life of the populace of Xinjiang is abuse now?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1206819.shtml

But why trust anything coming from China itself when my buddies from the US state department can tell you how it really is

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

shrike82 posted:

this is an odd place to take a swipe at the forums writ large given that in this thread at least youre the only person whos made such an assumption recently

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

VideoTapir posted:

Yeah let's not listen to anyone who might have firsthand knowledge. I am gonna go with the Zinjang crew on this one.

Be real people only do this here when it aligns with the ideology they already have.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:shrug: just on this page, we had someone suggest getting more Korean Americans in the military to help with the NK-SK situation, and then someone else posting some rando Twitter discourse about Asian Americans and meritocracy

like i said, it's funny coz it's not like the UK thread has people bringing up "English-American" discourse

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

shrike82 posted:

:shrug: just on this page, we had someone suggest getting more Korean Americans in the military to help with the NK-SK situation, and then someone else posting some rando Twitter discourse about Asian Americans and meritocracy

like i said, it's funny coz it's not like the UK thread has people bringing up "English-American" discourse

its cuz the UK speaks english so average english speakers can read UK news if they want. if you want to know what the news is in korea you need someone who speaks both english and korean to tell you whats happening

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the idea that ethnic koreans might do a better job with korean diplomacy than random people of any other ethnicity isnt generalizing asians into an indistinct generic blob its literally the exact opposite of that

and if you think gradenko posted those tweets because he agrees with the idea that asians have a special super education hive mind then you clearly do not have a good grasp of how this thread or cspam culture works in general

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Junkozeyne posted:

Reminder that acab includes forum cops.

Edit: though we seem to have changed from genocide to "religious/ethnic crackdowns"

Week later probes are cool.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

given the mods=cops sentiment, it's kinda funny how all the lefty forum offshoots have failed, largely due to dumb infighting

THS
Sep 15, 2017

flavius come in here and argue your points, those posts were entirely fine. you are such a loving mental coward

but we already had this discussion in the lf thread about how ideology functions and you looked like a loving moron. guess you decided to learn nothing from it

THS
Sep 15, 2017

flavius you’re perfectly aware you are full of poo poo and doing some incredibly disingenuous poo poo, and have zero confidence engaging with the discussion because on some level you are aware how fuckin sad it is. no one can offer a contrary argument to the US state department, even when those arguments are offered in entirely good faith by people who have a much better familiarity with the subject than you

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

THS posted:

flavius come in here and argue your points, those posts were entirely fine. you are such a loving mental coward

Still getting chain probed by FYAD, so it's going to be a while before that's even possible. But that shouldn't be too big a problem if they can dig up old posts in this thread.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Lostconfused posted:

Still getting chain probed by FYAD, so it's going to be a while before that's even possible. But that shouldn't be too big a problem if they can dig up old posts in this thread.

he slipped through for like half and hour and used that brief reprieve to show his rear end in an off topic thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

this was from Seymour Hersh in 2016

hey flavius how come this didn't get a probe you piece of poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

between this and COVID spreading exponentially, the Philippines seems fun right now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

India's solution to the naxalite insurgency was to give everyone guns which made the problem much worse shocking.

Has the filipino government attempted that solution yet?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Since I monopolized this thread for some personal interests before, I should post this here as well.

I went looking for the source of those comments Putin made about sleepy Joe and I assume it's from this stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRmrLndjHWg

I only watched the first thirty minutes of it since it's so dry and boring, no idea how much of this was scripted either.

The whole thing seemed to be dedicated to talking about how Russia is involved in developing Crimea. There was a bit about volunteers restoring a museum of history. Restoring old temples/churches. Opening up a new hospital with the latest medical equipment. There was a lot of talk about how Crimea is historically important to Russia as the region where the first conversions to Christianity happened.

Anyway, I haven't noticed this get mentioned before in the news. Russia obviously seems to care about presenting their claims on Crimea as legitimate and that the development and improvement of social services justifies this. Also Putin is still doing that kinda fash gotta go back to our glorious past thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1373643316185735169?s=19

Look Chen I love you man but Mao did nothing wrong

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
marrying jiang qing was the correct move, she seemed like a cool gal

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Look Chen I love you man but Mao did nothing wrong

he was too lenient on landlords if you ask me

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Imagine a foreign "expert" on America asking his Twitter followers to translate english.

https://twitter.com/adrianzenz/status/1175499119139405824?s=20

Does Adrian Zenz even claim to speak/read any chinese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

looking at someone's actions and describing why they're dumb isn't "suggesting" or "encouraging" or "supporting" them
if a historian says that hitler attacking the ussr was stupid does that mean he's actually lamenting nazi germany's defeat