Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

As I mentioned before, the book had a chapter of István realizing that the Perttilä farm felt awfully familiar from his childhood and the implication was that he would be Lauri Larsson's kidnapped nephew, who ended up in Hungary and came back as Bertelsköld's servant. The book is still indecisive, if that's what actually happened, or if István is having false memories.

The old owner of the Perttilä farm, Tuomas Larsson, appeared shortly in strips 1387-1390. After his death, his daughters sold the abandoned farm to his brother Lauri for a very cheap price. Lauri Larsson's enemy, fiscal Spolin, heard about István's memories and has started a lawsuit that claims that István should be able to reclaim the farm for same price that Lauri Larsson paid. It's been several years and the farm's real value is now much higher and it's basically half of Larsson's wealth. The main goal is to get Larsson to return back to Finland to defense his claim so he couldn't participate in politics in Stockholm. Torsten Bertelsköld is also involved and this is one of his schemes to make Larsson to support Hats party in which he has a high postition.

It's unfortunate that the comic skips a lot of political plot lines, even if it's mostly just people talking.

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Bobulus posted:

It hasn't come up a while lot, but Kell apparently changed her hunting behavior after marrying Kevin. Before, she just hunted random people off the street like most Herdthinner employees. Now she goes to The Wild to hunt, targeting people that have explicitly opted out of society.

That somehow sounds a lot worse because now Kell is just targeting poor people that are off the grid. :laffo:

It also doesn't help that we have Ralph to compare her to, and Ralph became incapable of hunting prey altogether because he felt sorry for them.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Like that one woman in FOOB, the one Liz's horrible future husband married? Therese? The one who only had a baby because he badgered her nonstop, and on the condition she never have to raise it, and how shocked he was when she meant it?

I mean, how ELSE will we know they are evil? Though Kevin did marry her for some reason.

Thanks, now I can't unsee it.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean, recipient of innumerable curses from The Society of People Who Take This poo poo Too Seriously. Card carrying member, by the way.

Ugh, so it's just a set-up to drag Dinkle's worthless corpse into this. Someone else mentioned how Batiuk doesn't know how churches work and fails to realize they're a close-knit community. If they really needed a new organ player, there'd be someone immediately piping up that they know a relative or a friend who can fill in. My old church even had the organ player training up one of the older kids to take over for them.

Kennel posted:

Cruel Little Stories

I like how you can paste this text into Foob and it wouldn't even look out of place.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

can't you buy like 1cent stamps and other small increments at the post office for just this dilemma?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

you broke my grill posted:

can't you buy like 1cent stamps and other small increments at the post office for just this dilemma?

Can you imagine Ed going to the post office and have them offer him all those different denominations of stamps? It would be the cups thing all over again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

you broke my grill posted:

You also look like an rear end in a top hat putting seven stamps on a basic envelope instead of just spending fifty cents, but Ed is already an rear end in a top hat and he probably pays all his bills with checks in the mail anyway, so yeah this is no problem at all

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

As a mail carrier, I don't loving care how many stamps there are, I just pick it up. Also if Ed's a lawyer, whenever he'd need to mail something he'd bring it to work where they have one of those "print directly onto an envelope that this printing is worth full postage" printing machines and send it out with the mail there, like whenever I go to a business and leave with a bunch of StitchFix return packages because folks bring those to work to ensure they get picked up.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what purpose plundering ornamental goods serves in a post-apocalyptic society with no functioning trade networks. I could see it making sense as an intimidation tactic except that's the exact opposite of what the captain is doing by maintaining a secret treasure hoard.

This is the kind of post-apocalypse story where everyone just transforms into a distilled version of some aspect of culture/society. In this case, Cap turned into some kind of capitalist pirate king.

That is a lot more detail about their love life than I expected or needed to know.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 21, 2021

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 12, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 17, 1918)

Banana Oil! (January 8, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (April 29, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 28, 1935)

Dark Laughter (March 13, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (March 7, 1948)

Those Were the Days (April 3, 1952)

Wee Pals (June 19, 1965)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Everett's lovely behavior weirdly makes me like him more, he's not pure like Superman, he's a believable rear end in a top hat who also stands up for what's right sometimes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 13, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 13, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 13, 1989)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

StrixNebulosa posted:

Everett's lovely behavior weirdly makes me like him more, he's not pure like Superman, he's a believable rear end in a top hat who also stands up for what's right sometimes.

In my head cannon he's actually dreaming every one of those events except when his wife beats him.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Kammat posted:

Yup, via wikipedia:

When the box is activated by turning a knob or pulling a hook, a spring-loaded wheel turns, tapping out a pulsed electrical signal corresponding to the box's number.[1] A receiver at fire headquarters annunciates the pulses through flashing lights or tones, or via a pen recorder, and the box number is matched to a list of box locations.

I'm sure this is true of other towns too, but I can tell specifics about the town where I grew up. There was our main east-west road, and on either side of it, the main north-south road (the latter two did not connect but they didn't need to for the purposes of this model). So the town could thereby be divided into 4 quarters. When there was a fire, the fire station alarm would first sound 1, 2, 3, or 4 times to describe the quarter of the fire, then sound again to indicate how many blocks north or south of the main east-west road, then a third time to indicate how many blocks east or west of the north-south dividing road. By the time I was old enough to know about this, the town had long since switched to other means of notifying firefighters a fire was happening, and had switched to a generic 3-1-3 code. It being a small town, getting you to the right block was all you needed, as by then firefighters could either see the fire and just proceed to it, or see people gathering where the problem was happening.

Another town within the same valley also had an alarm system that was similar, but I only ever heard it sound 3 blasts, which you would hear followed by a beat of silence and then the reverberation of the three blasts again off the mountains.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/20/01

Brenda Starr 2/11-13/46

Smokey Stover 1/28/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus story! I can't see anything ever coming of this!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

tsk tsk tsk

https://youtu.be/7PbQRMVXOqU

i guess it’s different enough

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

It always annoys me that Barry is never shown as getting in trouble for this poo poo, even when he actively starts it. Especially given that he's smart enough to skip a grade or whatever.

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Does Holbrook think that the vernal equinox is Goth

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

nishi koichi posted:

tsk tsk tsk

https://youtu.be/7PbQRMVXOqU

i guess it’s different enough

I was thinking of the ancient joke where the punchline is "That's a knickknack, Patty Wax, so give the frog a loan" myself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cicadalek posted:

In my experience there is a HEAVY crossover between goths, wicca types, and druidry

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (September 22, 1990)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cicadalek posted:

It always annoys me that Barry is never shown as getting in trouble for this poo poo, even when he actively starts it. Especially given that he's smart enough to skip a grade or whatever.

Or that they typically don't sleep in their makeup.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cicadalek posted:

Reminds me of Tom & Jerry, and how Jerry gets away with a lot of bullshit.

I laughed at this one. Scary Gary is pretty great and I'm glad it gets posted.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Ark Trail

Mary Worth

Here's hoping for a new storyline next week.

The Phantom

* for the Ghost Who Slights!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan PD was right there.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is probably just a coincidence.

Working Daze doesn't want much out of life.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix will grow into it.

Cul De Sac should just find out where they're going and hook up with them later.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hoo boy, I bet he'll get some letters about this one.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Unfortunately, I think if you polled a random sampling of Americans, very few would be able to tell you that word is derived from a slur.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

As mentioned, this is a problem with an easy solution. But I guess being able to complain about it makes it worth the extra money.

Cicadalek posted:

Sure, why wouldn't he? He apparently thinks you can start making a stonehenge cake at 5 am and have it finished and decorated before dawn.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan PD was right there.

I don't think this Sarah Morgan Imagination arc is a bad idea, but I think it'd work better if they'd quit explaining the joke every single time. Go ahead and include the text box setting up the premise for readers who just wandered in, but then let let us take it from there.

Like today. The last panel where they're doing the pew pew fingers at each other is a cute gag! But then we have that text box underneath winking at us and nudging us in the ribs like, "did you see what I did there? Did you get it? It's the mind of a child! Did you get it? Okay, let me tell you..." Just absolutely kills the joke. And Beatty's been doing that this whole arc. Quit letting the air out of your own balloon, dude!

At least Junk Drawer is here and knows how to tell a joke.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting - Snorkmaiden goes Rococo

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

It's got to be a lot of fun drawing all of that junk!

B Kliban

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Whoa, joke that actually makes sense!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jul 30-31, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 21-24, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Aug 30-Sep 6, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 18, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 18, 1918)

Banana Oil! (February 18, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (April 30, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 30, 1935)

Dark Laughter (March 20, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (March 14, 1948)

Those Were the Days (April 10, 1952)

Dinky Fellas (June 21, 1965)

Wee Pals (June 21, 1965)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set shares and shares alike.

Working Daze begs the question: "Who the gently caress is Greg?"

Super-Fun-Pak Comix means what it says.

Cul De Sac is going to love wiki-diving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Bogor