Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
warning: just a billion words about the ADP 2 sets

Studgate: The train station looks like a parts pack. "Unrefined" is a good word - too many instances of texture being added for the sake of texture whether it makes sense or not, like banisters topped with ingots. The train itself looks extremely simplistic. Not impressed. Also, 48x48 is a loving huge footprint.

Seasons in Time Calendar: This looks great. The mini vignettes are thoughtful and clever and they exhibit restraint and carefully selected palettes. The clock looks great with a decent amount of build complexity and technique, polish, and - again - restraint. Looks like it'll be quite expensive for what it is, though, and it's mostly brown bricks.

1950s Diner: I appreciate the limited scope and scale of the thing. The overall design is fine, but not amazing. I don't think space was utilized efficiently inside at all. The texture of the roof and entryway doesn't really do it for me. The car and gas pump are fun side builds. It's a good MOC, but I'm not feeling it as a set.

Kakapo: This is pretty cute. I think it's well sculpted and colored, but I wish it wasn't as big as it is - something closer in size to the previous Ideas birds set would be nice. Not much to say about this one since it's a static sculpture without articulation, but it's very cute.

Castle in the Forest: it's all right. I appreciate the ambitious footprint with all the interesting angles, but the build itself doesn't blow me away - it all feels pretty basic, like the designer was just getting ideas down and forgot to back and tie them all together. The battlements on the 2nd floor not matching the rooftop ones is jarring, and the big tree is pretty chunky and doesn't really make any sense being there. The back looks especially unfinished. Really needs another couple of passes to me.

Winter Chalet: I remember specifically not liking this the first time around, and I still don't. The roof is the only visually interesting thing here. The rest is all basic studs-up construction. The enormous interior space feels wasted on all those bedrooms with near-identical beds. The whole thing feels like a lot of monotony with no payoff. And, like most of these, it feels oversized. Why does everyone build so big when they're submitting to IDEAS?

Working Waterfall: I'll admit it, I just don't get this one. The idea is neat, and I'm glad it works, but as a result the model is super huge and kind of plain, mainly consisting of the black base and gray rock. I can't imagine really running this thing on my desk with the sound of plastic rattling around. I understand why the back is open and transparent to see the mechanism, but it makes an otherwise clean build feel really incomplete, too.

Dive Shop: As much as I love the Old Fishing Store, it's one of those sets that really benefited from LEGO's polish. This person's models are so cool, but they tend to feel like they're just not quite hitting their potential. The walls just being made of grill bricks is underwhelming. The dock is too large and too clean. Interior access on the first floor is limited by the overhead beams, and it doesn't seem like there's as much going on in there, anyway. This one's a miss for me.

Great Fishing Boat: This is beautiful. I have two main concerns: stability and parts availability. Obviously there will be compromises on color, since LEGO will not produce those chrome elements, but this build uses a lot of part/color combos that don't exist and I'm unsure if the ADP program can fulfill that. Also, kind of unimportant on a display piece, but this looks wildly finicky to play with in any way.

Legend of the Bionicle: I am not a Bionicle guy so I don't know the significance of any of this. The builds look fine, but not amazing. I know a lot of people really wanted this so I'm happy for them.

Brickwest Studios: I feel like I'm too biased to talk about this one. Uh, I like it? I liked the first ADP saloon a lot more. This one uses the same technique for the front siding, too. The signboard is too busy. The parts count on this one also looks completely out of control: without revision, this will cost a fortune. The interior is nice, but the opening sides feature kinda wreaks havoc on the floor. I could do without the whole film gimmick, but it's a unique approach and bit of context I suppose. I don't know. Mixed feelings.

Space Troopers: Uhhhh, I don't know. I like the sense of style? The build seems nice and technical. The color scheme is extremely boring. It's not quite the Classic Space livery, but the colors are close, which I'm sure was the intent, but it's kind of a miss for me. I'm happy to see more Space sets in any form, though.

Pursuit of Flight: This is, like, THE definitive JK Brickworks model. It's well executed and compact and the feature is great. The forced perspective works, and I love the additional planes. I actually have no complaints. Looks like a winner.

Particle Accelerator: I love seeing it in action, but the model itself is terribly uninteresting to me. It's a white circle and short tower. Props for making the tower octagonal, at least.

LEGO Store Modular: Very amateur-looking. Almost entirely studs-up construction with very little going on. It's a big box. The sense of scale feels off. The roof is unfinished. I kind of like the storage room, I guess.

Ruined House: This thing is god drat enormous. 48 studs wide and over 4,000 pieces. This is, like, properly scaled to a minifig's height, but the issue is that nothing else in LEGO is so it's gonna look out of place next to anything. It looks really obnoxious to build, too. Picture this without the gray tile cladding and ingot roof and it's just a big box made of masonry and SNOT bricks. It's another parts pack build to me, I guess. Let me be clear: the result looks super cool and I love realistic, muted earthy palettes in LEGO builds, but as a set that costs money, this feels wild.

Observatory: Again, as a set people are paying money for, what is this? Mostly slopes. Looks like half the build or so is just in the hill. The build of the tower relies on some pieces that haven't been made in decades, so I'm not sure how that will be resolved. It's almost all rather plain, studs-up construction again, too. The windows are particularly jarring. The interiors are okay.

Exploratorium: The raw visual density is staggering. It's almost overwhelming to look at. There is SO MUCH TEXTURE everywhere that nothing stands out. I can barely even tell what's what because the walls have so much color and texture variation and weird bricks mixed in that everything is distracting me from everything else. I complimented a couple earlier models for their restraint, and this is the opposite of that. There are details I like, such as the steam engine, but it's impossible to even really focus on the minutiae here. Also, it's too big.

Modular Construction Site: Oh, I like this. I don't know how much appeal it will have to buyers, but the detail here is wonderful. The building is just complex enough to be interesting without distracting from the site, and the muted colors help the yellow and red really pop. Your eye is naturally drawn to the important elements and it's just very pleasing to look at. Such a tiny thing, but I love the building number being on that sideways curved slope, rounding the corner of the building. This also feels like it was actually designed to be played with. The site detaching from the building is smart, the crane looks fun to use (assuming it's stable), the workers installing various elements is really fun, and the blueprints of LEGO pieces is charming as hell. The more I look at this, the more I love it. Maybe this one's my favorite? It is, however, REALLY drat BIG AGAIN.

Clockwork Aquarium: Fun desk toy. I like the functionality and the interchangeable scenes. The net and fish food in the same cabinet with the gear work is fun. I wish the cabinet looked more finished - the black clip and bar hinges are really distracting. Needs another pass of refinements and it'll be great.

Mountain Windmill: Looks like it'll collapse if I sneeze near it. I was excited for this one to win IDEAS because I wanted to see what LEGO would do with it. As it is, however, it looks a bit too dense and unstable with an inflated piece count. Needs work.

Sheriff's Safe: I love that it works. The details are very charming: the wanted poster, candle (love the dripping wax), and book especially add a lot to the scene. Shame the primary color is gray as opposed to, like, dark green. The part count is impressively low for how big it is. I really like this a lot.

Anatomini: I don't know what to say. It's a clever idea? It's so bizarre. The minifig torso covered in studs is a bummer. I don't know if the sliding gear rack mechanism can take the weight of the build without stressing the gear teeth. Also, it's horrifying. I expect to see this on a lot of future youtube "top 10 weirdest lego set" lists.

Temple of Hermit: too big, too MOC-y. Roof looks so finicky. Good source of a thousand 1 x 1 round bricks.

Boat House Diner: Better than the dive shop, but still has issues. Really bothers me that there's a big gap in the rusticated corners, which are built in, like, THE most simple possible way. There's a million ways to do those, and they've appeared in far more interesting ways in recent sets like the modular police station and the blacksmith's shop. Plain old tiles on SNOT bricks just doesn't cut it for me anymore. Interior access looks tricky with the tight spaces and tall walls - really needs an opening or removable wall as well. Lowest floor looks downright inaccessible. Details aside, the overall aesthetics are actually GREAT and I do think it'll look nice on a shelf and/or next to the fishing store.

Science Adventures: cute

Japanese Style Old Architecture: Am I the only one who doesn't really get what exactly this set is? How many builds is it? It looks dense but simplistic as well. Don't really understand this one.

Retro Bowling Alley: Too big, too dense on the exterior details. Especially the corners and roof, wow. That said, the interior(s) own. Which one comes with the set? Not quite sure on that, but both are great. I like the signage, too. Just, please guys, cut back on the idea of adding texture for texture's sake. Clean lines and blocking are more important.

Venetian Houses: TOO BIG WOW. 3,672 pieces? The sense of style and color palette is incredible, but the builds are, again, extremely simple and almost entirely studs-up, even the roofs. The result is beautiful and clean, but it looks very unchallenging and uninteresting to build. I wish the designer had pushed themselves more and taken some risks.

Boat Repair Shop: IMO, the best of the three builds this designer has up here. It just has way more detail and interesting building than the others. I like that gas pump a lot (though the 1 x 1 tile on the front of it isn't gonna index properly). The yellow winch is a really nice and welcome pop of color, and adds practical function to an old building. Wish there wasn't a big gap in the tracks there. The interior looks a bit messy and I wish there were some interesting tool builds, plus access looks rough with that big center beam. Nice overall form and composition, though.

Quest Builder: I feel like this just isn't for me. A lack of closeups makes this really hard to judge at all, but everything looks incredibly simple. I think the function trumps the form here, which is fair enough, except I have no use for the function.

TL;DR I like the construction site, safe, and calendar the most. I dislike the LEGO store modular, winter chalet, and observatory the most and I don't think any of those three really deserve to be here, if I'm honest.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would like to not see anymore Robenanne submissions. They make good MOCs, I get it, but I'm kind of tired of them, and there are three in this list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m a big fan of castle in the forest, but I really wanted to see Lego redesign it, and with how much they elevated the Blacksmith from the MOC version it makes it even more noticeable. I basically want CITF but the blacksmith version of it.

I’m going to keep an eye on it depending on the price though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I need that safe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I’m a big fan of castle in the forest, but I really wanted to see Lego redesign it, and with how much they elevated the Blacksmith from the MOC version it makes it even more noticeable. I basically want CITF but the blacksmith version of it.

I’m going to keep an eye on it depending on the price though.

That's going to be an issue. A bunch of these were probably only ever made in cad or studio, so who knows if they even hold together. The big appeal of the Ideas program is that Lego refines the design and makes them better.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm starting on the famicom part of the build tonight if anyone wants to watch. The TV was freaking adorable.

https://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Looks like Lego just deleted all the power functions items from my wishlist so I can't even use the website to check the stock at my local stores. Was hoping to get the vaccine in time to go to the one in the mall but I guess I'm stuck with bluetooth until the next time they decide to completely change the trains.

Also I want that construction modular.

Edit: screw it, just bought a new and used ir receiver on ebay. train trains trains trains

davebo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 19, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiny LEGO gumball machines will always hold a special place in my heart

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

warning: just a billion words about the ADP 2 sets
... Why does everyone build so big when they're submitting to IDEAS? ...

TL;DR I like the construction site, safe, and calendar the most. I dislike the LEGO store modular, winter chalet, and observatory the most and I don't think any of those three really deserve to be here, if I'm honest.

I think people build big because it's easier. If you have no constraints then you don't have to make concessions. When I'm building Lego sets like Santa's Workshop (https://brickset.com/sets/10245-1/Santa-s-Workshop) I'm amazed at how much detail Lego has stuffed into that small set. Would I get the same feeling building any one of those monstrosities?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earth posted:

I think people build big because it's easier. If you have no constraints then you don't have to make concessions.

Especially if you aren't actually building the set. I mean, if you are just doing it virtually.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Earth posted:

I think people build big because it's easier. If you have no constraints then you don't have to make concessions. When I'm building Lego sets like Santa's Workshop (https://brickset.com/sets/10245-1/Santa-s-Workshop) I'm amazed at how much detail Lego has stuffed into that small set. Would I get the same feeling building any one of those monstrosities?

I have santa's workshop too and it is great how much they crammed in, but on the other hand I just don't like sets with a lot of loose stuff. It already has the sleigh with reindeer which makes sense, so I'd have rather the structure be larger to accommodate that elf conveyor belt thing than just having it out on the lawn. Of course that would have just raised the price but I don't always hate larger if there's a good reason for it. As posted above though, if you have no constraints in a digital medium there's no incentive to scale down.

Maybe Lego Ideas votes are like cars, where the vocal minority on the internet say they want one with all this stuff, but when a manufacturer finally builds something like it it's too expensive and no one can afford it. It'd make sense that SA lego fans are just like SA's automotive enthusiasts in that you all have reasonable opinions and good insight into both the end user and manufacturing side of things. Then you go to just about any other forum on the internet for the same hobby and it's just a bunch of morons who want the biggest dumbest thing because it has one nice screenshot and that's how votes get won.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Your post made me think of Homer Simpson's car design.

I wouldn't lift up the people here too much when it come to analyzing lego sets. There's just as many idiots here as there are elsewhere. Myself included in this indictment.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Off to sell my Ninjago City sets to a Craigslist buyer :cry: Rip to a real one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Off to sell my Ninjago City sets to a Craigslist buyer :cry: Rip to a real one.

drat. Sorry. That sucks. Hopefully things change and you can rebuy them in the future.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This, but Lego
https://twitter.com/mecookiemonster/status/1371541931612835848

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

drat. Sorry. That sucks. Hopefully things change and you can rebuy them in the future.

Eh. I'm happy that I got to build them and display them for a couple of years. It gets me out of the rabbit hole of buying all of them haha. Thanks tho. I have a job now, so I plan to keep the rest of my collection. I just needed to build up some cash reserves cause being unemployed for months had me down to the wire.

Plus tbh it worked out pretty nice I made $400 more than I paid for them and didn't even have to ship them or deal with Ebay fees. Lego is such a good thing to collect. Anytime I feel guilty about blowing $$$ on Lego I just tell myself I can just get all my money back, or more if I'm in a pinch.

Well put, Cookie Monster.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I finally got around to building barracuda bay and just wow. Easily one of the best looking sets. The box doesn't do the final product justice. It's huge, vibrant and just awesome. I want to buy more of them just to build pirate ships.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Earth posted:

Yeah, I agree. There's another downside, too, which is fans invariably getting upset when an idea is downsized, even if the result is better - more clean, more concise, more focused, whatever. People still complain. Better to build something the right size the first time around, so fans get something closer to what they voted for. Old Fishing Store comes to mind.

streaming in 30!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really easy to build something using 5000 pieces and make it look real cool to get people excited. It's really hard for Lego to then take that build and convince consumers to pay 500 dollars for it in stores.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Finishing that famicom on stream tonight.

http://www.twitch.tv/rodshaftmd

Edit: it's beautiful.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 20, 2021

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Earth posted:

Your post made me think of Homer Simpson's car design.

A Lego set of that would be rad

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think I might've lost some pieces of the Pirates of Barracuda Bay set in my recent move. This stinks imo.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

The Hidden Side graveyard is $17 on Amazon right now.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Thanks for posting, I had a $10 amazon gift card floating around so this came to $8 with the tax. Nice addition to my Halloween display.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

It had the same sale a couple weeks ago and I couldn't resist. I didn't need or really even want it, but sometimes I get sick of doing these big sets with my wife and friend and it was just nice doing that graveyard late at night on my own.

Tonight we got around to bag 4 of the falcon and by the end I noticed a peg piece that was pointing the wrong direction and it turned out to be from the first like 10 pages of the instructions. Dont imagine it'll affect the structural rigidity or anything, but we're too deep in to rip it apart to change it, so I'll just always know it's wrong and we're lego failures.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had to grab it too. Lots of nice unique parts in there. Love those minifigure based statues.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Target has buy one get 40 percent off. a lot of mario and ninjago.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Captain Duvel posted:

Target has buy one get 40 percent off. a lot of mario and ninjago.

This link should work for the eligible sets, includes City sets including train tracks kits and the new road plates.
https://www.target.com/pl/593069484?marketing_id=1175-2383150280428150

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have people had much success selling semi valuable Lego sets locally? Stuff like out of print modulars.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

smackfu posted:

Have people had much success selling semi valuable Lego sets locally? Stuff like out of print modulars.

I’ve sold a few modulars and other OOP stuff here.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

obi_ant posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962473

I posted the Helicarrier. I'm open to offers if someone is really serious about buying it.

Thanks but couldn't bring myself to spend the $375 but its worth it that, I've been watching the market for years. Luckily enough one landed in my lap this morning, a local Craigslist deal for $200. I'll de-dust it, rebuild it, display it for a while then make a few bucks on it.

Made it easier to pull off since I just turned around a $40 box of Legos where I spotted a viking ship hull. Found the viking ship with the serpent and the viking fort with the dragon which I turned around for $200.

smackfu posted:

I've had luck with some of the bigger/discontinued Star Wars sets on either Craigslist, Letgo, and Mercari.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Re: building big. Some people do it because it's a low-effort way to impress people. Or at least non-AFOLs who don't necessarily know much about Lego.

There's a guy in my LUG who always builds massive displays for shows and he's the kind of guy that always has to have the biggest thing there. He gets a bit put out if he doesn't have the biggest display to the point he won't display at all if he knows his won't be the biggest. The funny thing is that his builds are always really basic. There's not a whole lot of detail or much clever engineering/part usage going on, just size.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
...little dick energy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Managing to convey detail at a smaller level is much more impressive, some of the builds in the Star Wars advent calendar are insane.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

smackfu posted:

Yeah. I recommend it. I have done it with a handful of sets, including NC and docks just the other day. I just undercut average ebay prices by a bit, because I figure it makes it more tempting and I am saving myself ebay/paypal fees, time and the hassle of mailing giant Lego sets.

NC had interest right away, but the other sets I have put up locally took a few weeks to sell. You just have to be patient and ignore lowballers, but in my experience that kind of thing is so niche that you don't get many, or any of the usual annoying people you have to deal with from Craigslist. Anybody looking for an OOP modular knows exactly how much it's worth and they know you do too, and Lego types are usually pretty reasonable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cloks posted:

Managing to convey detail at a smaller level is much more impressive, some of the builds in the Star Wars advent calendar are insane.

Yeah totally. I am impressed by restraint and attention to detail. You get these huge builds and quite a few of them could be built by anyone as long as they had access to the parts.

Stuff like carbs posts, or some of these specialized MOC builders online is the stuff I enjoy most, because I'd rather see the most perfect rendition of something in Lego vs some giant build that is just kind of hamstrung together. That's also how I (at least try to) build. It's harder to impress the average person with that kind of thing though. They don't care that you spent thirty minutes swapping parts around, trying to find the perfect part, so a tiny section of a 6 inch build looks just right.

The Blacksmith is a good example of this I think. The Lego version is absolutely masterful imo. The MOC version is good. I'm not saying anyone could build that, it's pretty impressive, but it looks pretty amateur by comparison. Yet a bunch of people hate the Lego one because...The MOC is bigger? I guess.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Exactly, that's my point. This guy builds big and his models always wow the general public, but they're really not very impressive up close. Hell, sometimes they're literally falling apart cos the engineering is so shoddy - no internal structure or bracing. But whatever, they're his models so he can build them how he likes. I think I've shat on him enough for now.

Totally agree about restraint and attention to detail. It's how I (try to) build too, but it's definitely a skill that needs a lot of practice.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Speed Champions and MicroFighters are kind of my jam currently, both mostly about that smaller scale detail, while still being "minifig scale" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chirk Manbote
Apr 19, 2012

Ika posted:

I don't know when the last time I bothered with stickers is, I just try to remember to place em in the instruction booklet, and hope they don't get lost. If I ever get rid of my collection I'll probably have to sell it all with missing stickers.

I would buy your stickers, dm me if you ever sell the lot!