Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BlackMK4 posted:

How do I know which it is? :v:

Anyway, I picked it up today. Car was even in better shape than I'd hoped, it's pretty flawless other than the two small door dings shown in the ad.

I have only two complaints: the throttle mapping is annoying from a stop and the turn signal doesn't just go back to off easily like most other cars. I'm pretty happy with it. :)

You have the hacked-in version. Official Carplay/AA is in version 70+ and the USB module in the armrest should be swapped with this one that has a phone icon.

I did it with an $180 OEM kit off eBay and online instructions. Not hard, but the software update took 2 hours of babysitting.

rip your screen, though. I think you can get a used one on eBay fairly cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Noice, thank you!
The screen is fine, my phone just did the rolling shutter poo poo plus the nasty fingerprints.

I have the Mazda competition discount, it looks like I can get the thing you linked for $80 and the harness for $48. Not bad, not bad.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 21, 2021

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Here’s the very thorough instructions. The process wasn’t as annoying as it looks.

https://www.mazda6club.com/threads/genuine-mazda-carplay-androidauto-install-instructions-all-here.440990/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you, I appreciate it :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is Mazda the only manufacturer to go back and update old models to have support? Subaru can't or won't do it.

Actually, Kia did do a free update for some of their Uvo systems.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don’t know. The Mazda infotainment system was pretty good for 2014, and there were already rumors that carplay was coming “soon” when I bought mine new.

When it finally came out in what, 2018? they did free upgrades going back a year or so. Basically what could still be on dealer lots.

Last I checked, it’s $450ish to have the dealer pop some trim and run a software update. Definitely profitable for Mazda to offer the upgrade since so little needs to change.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are these eBay kits legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mazda-Apple-CarPlay-and-Android-Auto-Retrofit-Kit-00008FZ34-TK78-66-9U0C/373392879544
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Mazda-Apple-CarPlay-and-Android-Auto-Retrofit-Kit-00008FZ34-TK78-66-9U0C/124480840526

They are somehow significantly cheaper than discounted OEM parts

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Charles posted:

Is Mazda the only manufacturer to go back and update old models to have support? Subaru can't or won't do it.

Actually, Kia did do a free update for some of their Uvo systems.

Ford did it too for Sync 3.

Can confirm the Mazda upgrade is easy, did it for a buddy on his CX-5.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Probably fine, but whenever I see an item starting with "For" I fully assume it's a knock off in some capacity. Or gray market or something weird.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

opengl128 posted:

Probably fine, but whenever I see an item starting with "For" I fully assume it's a knock off in some capacity. Or gray market or something weird.

That was my thought too 🤔

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've been able to get cheaper than Mazdaspeed from Mazda dealers before, but the first seller is based in China, so maybe they're just grey market. Also the second link is not listed as New

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

This is the one I bought-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Appl...872.m2749.l2649

but the price is pretty comparable to the OEM one you have there. I think this is the online store for a Mazda dealership that's near me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl36horjEOc&t=35s

Abused 2.3 turbo teardown. Ouch.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

The gently caress, do people really just not keep up with oil changes? So far so good with Rotella T6 every 5k miles on my 08 MS3 at 145k, but about 70k on my current engine (lost the first cuz of hydrolock)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

air- posted:

The gently caress, do people really just not keep up with oil changes? So far so good with Rotella T6 every 5k miles on my 08 MS3 at 145k, but about 70k on my current engine (lost the first cuz of hydrolock)

That one looks like it came out of a CX-7 so yeah just neglect most likely. Horrible idea putting that engine in a CUV that most will treat as an appliance.

I had no idea about that heavy convoluted balance shaft assembly, that's wild.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

air- posted:

People on the Mazdaspeed facebook group were claiming that there are "better" oils for direct injection engines now-- and apparently the Rotella T6 ( that I have used since I bought my car) is old hat.

With that said, I had never heard of such a thing as a DI specific oil.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

opengl128 posted:

That one looks like it came out of a CX-7 so yeah just neglect most likely. Horrible idea putting that engine in a CUV that most will treat as an appliance.

I had no idea about that heavy convoluted balance shaft assembly, that's wild.

They put it in the Japanese market MPV too which is even more baffling.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any opinions on the mazda3 turbo? I was shopping mazda3s and it looked fun at first but a heavier mazda3 with AWD, lower gas mileage.. I don't know about this car. I'm imagining that there could be some debugging left and the smaller engines feel more in the spirit of what the car is trying to do.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Salt Fish posted:

Any opinions on the mazda3 turbo? I was shopping mazda3s and it looked fun at first but a heavier mazda3 with AWD, lower gas mileage.. I don't know about this car. I'm imagining that there could be some debugging left and the smaller engines feel more in the spirit of what the car is trying to do.

I bought one this week, it's rad. I can understand how the wrx/civic si/gti people might be disappointed by it, it's extremely comfortable and not edgy at all. The mazda 2.5 and six speed has a decent reputation for reliability.

The lane departure system is confused by the poorly painted lines on 101 and I had to turn it off.

Power is all down low, the car is really torquey and doesn't need to downshift much. It's not a tuner car, but better tires would probably make this thing a beast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We're test driving a couple newish CX-5s tomorrow, anything I should be aware of? Common problems?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MetaJew posted:

People on the Mazdaspeed facebook group were claiming that there are "better" oils for direct injection engines now-- and apparently the Rotella T6 ( that I have used since I bought my car) is old hat.

With that said, I had never heard of such a thing as a DI specific oil.

What oil are they saying to use now? Though honestly that's for me to tell whoever ends up buying my car, since I plan on selling by the end of the year.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Most of the current oils are already adjusted for DI, just look for Dexos 1 Gen2 or API SN+ cert.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

We're test driving a couple newish CX-5s tomorrow, anything I should be aware of? Common problems?

I saw they added cylinder deactivation for the non-turbo models starting in 2018 and there was a recall for it. I saw some reports on the mazda forums/reddit of a few people needing new engines, but I haven't seen anyone report a problem with one that had the recall done. The 2021 model got a new infotainment system that really makes me want to trade mine in for one. Wish I had one with the turbo also.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well this has been an enormous waste of time:

The OEM coolant reservoir cracked a few weeks ago. I was going to order another OEM coolant tank, but a fellow-car-enthusiast friend convinced me to find an aftermarket aluminum one. Corksport doesn't make a tank for the gen 1 speed 3 for some reason, but they do make a nice looking one for the Gen2. So the only option is a small shop in Utah by the name of "Graveyard Performance".

Well, what do you know, the fucker leaks. It uses some NPT fitting for the sight glass, and no matter what I do I haven't been able to get it to seal with a plumbers tape or pipe dope. I have some Yamaha(?) bond which is used for sealing the halves of engine blocks that my brother suggested, but I never got around to trying that.

I complained to the owner about my issues and they told me they would ship me out a replacement last Monday-- and something about having issues with their fabricators. But... honestly, why wasn't this fitting sealed and pressure tested by them?

I contacted them on Monday evening about getting the new part, and they said they still had to fabricate it and they'd send it out ASAP.

I called up my local Mazda dealership to try and get a replacement coolant tank, and if that arrives anytime soon I'll just tell the guy I want a refund and mail the tank back.

I also bought Graveyard's power steering reservoir while I was at it, because why not match? I am not sure how happy I am with that, but as best I can tell it isn't leaking so I guess I'll keep it? One of many annoyances with these parts is they only use a single screw to fasten the tanks to the chassis. While I'm not a mechanical engineer or metallurgist, I see no reason why stress fractures wouldn't eventually form along the weld where the mounting tab meets the reservoir.

Here are some photos after I tried to seal the threads again and added a UV dye to try and catch where the leaks were coming from.

air- posted:

What oil are they saying to use now? Though honestly that's for me to tell whoever ends up buying my car, since I plan on selling by the end of the year.
I'm not sure. Probably whatever BlackMK4 brought up, but it's a meme in these groups not to ask "what oil to run" or they'll ban you or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ganon posted:

I saw they added cylinder deactivation for the non-turbo models starting in 2018 and there was a recall for it. I saw some reports on the mazda forums/reddit of a few people needing new engines, but I haven't seen anyone report a problem with one that had the recall done. The 2021 model got a new infotainment system that really makes me want to trade mine in for one. Wish I had one with the turbo also.

CX-5 was fantastic. Checked all her boxes except mpg. I was just shocked by how huge it was. I guess I had no idea how big the Mazda SUVs were. We walked over to a CX7 and jesus, it would barely fit in our garage. We're going to check out a CX3 next weekend (as well as a few other cars).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Rhyno posted:

CX-5 was fantastic. Checked all her boxes except mpg. I was just shocked by how huge it was. I guess I had no idea how big the Mazda SUVs were. We walked over to a CX7 and jesus, it would barely fit in our garage. We're going to check out a CX3 next weekend (as well as a few other cars).

It's worth noting that the CX-3 actually has less room inside than the 3 hatch.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The CX5 seems goldilocks for me, and I regret not buying one for my wife instead of an Escape, but she didn’t want to pay the premium.

The cx5 shares a platform with the mz3/6. The cx3 is a Barbie car that feels closer to a lifted mazda2 subcompact.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The CX-3 is based on the 2, so yes, it's a lifted mazda2 subcompact :v:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I thought I wanted a CX-5 but after sitting in both a CX-5 and a 6 I went with the 6. I still really like it but every time I see a CX-5 I wonder what could have been. I wouldn't get a CX-3 myself, too small IMO. Just get a Mazda 3 at that point.

My friend was so impressed with my 6 that he went out and bought a CX-5 himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My wife wants a crossover or tall hatch, the CX5 was just a bit too much and again, the mpg was unimpressive. But it weighs 3600lbs so I shouldn't have been surprised. We also drove a KIA Niru which is very high on our consideration lists but I'm a Mazda fanboy so we had to see what was in their lineup.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

2c on sizes:
Drive a 3 hatch regularly and have driven a family member's CX-5 plenty when I've not had mine for whatever reason. Setting aside anything but size, CX-5 is about the biggest and smallest I'd go, it's a good size for an SUV (coming from an 07 RAV4 previously). Much bigger and there's little gain unless you're hauling 3.5 kids around to sportsball. Smaller and no point getting an SUV at all. My hatch is nice enough for what it is, I've only "fully" loaded it once or twice but it has a deceptive amount of space to it. Certainly better than the old Impala or something.
Can't really go wrong with either size wise, just depends on the needs. I'm one person and I can borrow a Tacoma for moving big stuff around, so the 3 hatch is as big as I need. Get a family involved and the need to use the back seats with the 3 will start to rear its head at inopportune times. If it's just the two of you it should work fine. I can vouch for about 34 mpg average on mine even with its bullshit transmission issues, which I believe is significantly better than the CX-5 pulls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do recent 3s have awd? She would like that but it's not a deal breaker.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Rhyno posted:

Do recent 3s have awd? She would like that but it's not a deal breaker.

My 2018 is FWD only. I believe 2019+ introduced an AWD option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good to know.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
You shouldn't be considering the CX-3 - it's small and dated compared to the rest of the range.

The CX-30 is worth a look though, it's basically a shorter (length) and taller (height) 3 hatch

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Oh poo poo, yeah, CX-30 is exactly your use case. I always forget about that one.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Agree that CX3 should be avoided. Dated and small, much smaller than the 3.

CX30 is where it’s at if you’re looking for something a half size smaller than the CX5. Turbo + new interior.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The cx30 is a really sharp looking vehicle, with the turbo is probably really peppy.

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

The cx30 is a really sharp looking vehicle, with the turbo is probably really peppy.

Confirm. Test drove a turbo premium CX-30 a few days ago and it was a lovely, lovely experience all around. Will be getting one this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I did not know cx30 existed!

I sat in mazda 3, 6, and 2 suvs at a dealer and now I read the cx30 has more driver right knee room.

I hate when there's a semi sharp edge where my knee wants to be.