Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

8one6 posted:

Yen Press doesn't do a good job of keeping the middle volumes of the light novels they print in, err, in print.

Yen Press!!!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I guess that's one reason she'd be so mad about her webs burning down.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/the-thoughts-of-a-spiderweb-20170523/

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

After watching the newest episode my current theory is that Kumoko at some point splits her body into multiple ones. Maybe when she maxes out Parallel Minds. Kumoko's main and strongest body is that of the Demon Lord and the Lady in White is her backup in the demon army. Both of them have aspects that are similar to Kumoko and have been teased as being her so heck, why can't it be both of them?

The reason I thought of this possibility is that we've also seen the Nightmare Vestige which seemed like some kind of version of Kumoko that she left in the Labyrinth for some reason and that the Demon Lord could exercise some element of awareness and control of at an immense distance. IIRC Julius actually says that it's an aspect/echo of the Nightmare that it left behind after leaving the Labyrinth. Maybe right before she leaves the Labyrinth she gets the power to split her body and leaves this one as an 'extra life' in case her main body gets killed. That's why it still looks like a spider because it's before she becomes the Demon Lord.

This could mean that the reason Elf Teacher thinks Kumoko is dead is because she met one of Kumoko's bodies and witnessed it's 'death'.

....Or it's all a fakeout and a 30 foot tall spider is going to show up and complain about not being a magical girl or something.

Edit: I swear I thought of this before going to reddit to read the thread on the episode, lol.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 21, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What do folks think Fei is going to evolve into?

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 21, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

8one6 posted:

Yen Press doesn't do a good job of keeping the middle volumes of the light novels they print in, err, in print.

...oh, is that why all my Haruhi books sold for so much?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

What do folks thing Fei is going to evolve into?

Metalgreymon.

It has to be something more flashly than long long lizard, so probably something with wings.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lurking Haro posted:

Metalgreymon.

It has to be something more flashly than long long lizard, so probably something with wings.

I have this suspicion that her next form is going to be affected by her rank in Taboo, and it's going to be immediately obvious to creepy voice god girl. Shun did just mention she was promoted to "Saint" and will likely be a member of his party.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nitrousoxide posted:

The earth dragon Alba. Both sides of the story are 15 years before the other.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nitrousoxide posted:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

One thing I've been thinking about, non plot related...how much of this is CGI? like I was watching the vtuber ironmouse and she said she just couldnt get past the CGI use, but isnt it only like...other monsters when they're active? like I could tell the difference between her newest opponent when he was casting the spells, and when he was just standing around. and i know that like, the monkeys were 100% cgi.

But she was gagging at "the cgi" of...kumoko in the OP.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Renzuko posted:

One thing I've been thinking about, non plot related...how much of this is CGI? like I was watching the vtuber ironmouse and she said she just couldnt get past the CGI use, but isnt it only like...other monsters when they're active? like I could tell the difference between her newest opponent when he was casting the spells, and when he was just standing around. and i know that like, the monkeys were 100% cgi.

Only the monsters and the cave are 3D, and even then they use handdrawn images for certain interactions and closeups.
I think Kumoko is nicely done. It's more distracting for the other monsters, as you said.

CG pedestrians are worse.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lurking Haro posted:

Only the monsters and the cave are 3D, and even then they use handdrawn images for certain interactions and closeups.
I think Kumoko is nicely done. It's more distracting for the other monsters, as you said.

CG pedestrians are worse.

The eel was probably the most egregious one for me. The way that they just had it swaying back and forth looked extremely weird.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

like the scene where it was full screen araba biting the snake, doesnt look CG to me, but every OTHER screen in that bit of last episode looks super CG, with it looking slightly worst when he does the spikes thing.

The only one that really killed it for me was the monkeys, but we also...both lucked out and lost out because they were only in 1 main episode, but they're in nearly every episodes ED

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

How is this show being received overall? Think we'll see a second season?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Haystack posted:

How is this show being received overall? Think we'll see a second season?

It's a two cour show, it's still ongoing.
It also shares the fate of all other LN adaptations: It has to sell the LN.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't the system voice for an evolution "The pre-requisites have been met?" or similar? I doubt making a pact gives experience, so I'm guessing something about being a pokemon of the hero unlocks a special evolution. I was going somewhere with this but I am struggling to find a way to say "the hero's dragon mount" without it sounding dirty under the circumstances.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 21, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well if this thread is anything to go on, it's probably got the most active new anime thread this season, has spawned a second LN thread, and has gotten at least one person to binge the LN's.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bremen posted:

Isn't the system voice for an evolution "The pre-requisites have been met?" or similar? I doubt making a pact gives experience, so I'm guessing something about being a pokemon of the hero unlocks a special evolution. I was going somewhere with this but I am struggling to find a way to say "the hero's dragon mount" without it sounding dirty under the circumstances.

Activate Polymerization to get Shun the Dragon Champion.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Being she turned into an egg again, which I don't think is normal. I bet that "becoming the hero's pet" triggers some alternative evolutionary path, Also as an earth dragon I think no flying so I am also going with "gets wings so can be a mount"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

The same, but with a cute saddle.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

a kitten posted:

The same, but with a cute saddle.

Is Fei becoming a Yoshi?

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
She's going to stay an egg and he'll have to throw her at enemies.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Fei becoming a Yoshi?

These boots are made for walking!

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its an isekai, she probably turns into a hot girl lmao

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nephthys posted:

....Or it's all a fakeout and a 30 foot tall spider is going to show up and complain about not being a magical girl or something.

Gonna be honest, this would be the best outcome.

And of course she would still see herself as tiny and cute.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gyarados :holy:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Paper Lion posted:

its an isekai, she probably turns into a hot girl lmao
Shun's friend already has that one covered

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sindai posted:

Shun's friend already has that one covered

Do you really think having just one would be enough for an isekai series? This is a genre that also wedded at the hip to harem anime.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Omnicrom posted:

Do you really think having just one would be enough for an isekai series? This is a genre that also wedded at the hip to harem anime.

Natsume about to further realize he isn't this world's isekai protagonist.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Or even a primary antagonist.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Renzuko posted:

Kumoko herself is frequently CGI in the show too but they put more detail into her because she's on-screen constantly so she generally looks fine. The monkeys and some of the other creatures did look really ugly though.

The monkey episode is the only one where the CGI stood out to me enough that I felt it harmed the episode. I also feel like they also got better about interspersing 2D animation for monsters when needed. I think they even do it for Kumoko more often now than they did in the first few episodes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel like it would've been better off to go with more realistic/PBR shading for everything except maybe Kumoko herself, try to emphasize a bleak look.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

IMO, every bit of CGI except Kumoko has kinda looked like rear end so far. I wouldn't begrudge it's use for things like swarms in the background, but they should really not be using it for singular creatures.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah some look worse than others but having the monsters look like they're from a different art style that doesn't fit with Kumoko's 3D or the 2D animation is definitely the worst part of the show.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 23, 2021

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing that's been very unfortunate in the anime especially compared to the manga is that the CGI monsters don't well, move very well. The animation in addition to the artstyle of the CGI doesn't I think sell well the high stakes of the fights.

Examples (for the Fire Dragon fight we just had):

In general the manga does a good job in making the various creatures Kumo fights seem very imposing. The monochrome helps a lot, but the anime generally went with somewhat brighter colours that tend to look shiny.

In this panel(s) the fire dragons lumbering desperate final charge comes across much better, in both its beauty as this magnificent creatures makes its final attack and the difficult and yet remaining potential powers despite it being down to its last hit points.

e: meant to hit preview and not post, meant to add anime comparison images:

The Fire dragon in the anime is not bad, but it could be so much better. I think the lighting is hurting them here because the burned/left side of the dragoon looks better than the brighter side that's reflecting the environmental lighting from the magma(lava?).

The tackle lacks the same amount of oompf. Especially when its dead on and most importantly, and perhaps very perplexingly the framing/perspective makes Kumoko so large in comparison to the dragon it hardly feels as threatening as it does in the manga.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 23, 2021

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Episode 12 preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X25UBvtyWOM

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
none of the fights in this show are particularly good. that's less than ideal what with how much of it consists of fighting.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The CG in the next episode preview is giving me some big Zoids vibes

This is a compliment, but not a particularly strong compliment

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

And that preview puts it at about the first half of volume 8 of the manga, so...we're now SUPER CLOSE to me knowing absolutely nothing about either side of the story, as a manga only reader.

Most of the first episode that had the human students I was in the dark for because they didnt even introduce karnatia in the end of volume chapter until either 7 or 8.

Also makes sense that they're doing a semi climactic thing at the end of the first half of the run. gotta have something cool for mid season right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Long Long Fei