Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1373673913763389446?s=19

Our media is so poo poo lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tesla was right posted:

+1 to threadbanning from a mostly-lurker here. Putting them on ignore doesn't stop them turning the thread into a more hostile place when newbies and lurkers still see their posts.

But to add value to this thread, I went for a walk in stockport and saw some caves.

According to an information board they were carved in the 17th century and were used as air raid shelters in ww2. I wonder if there's another entrance or erosion's been cruel, because I wouldn't want to go in there without a rope and harness.

Also, I'm envious of DesperateDan's lovely green spaces, it's all brown and covered in litter, here.

You would love Creswell Crags which isn’t that far from you, it’s one of those hidden gems. In the normal times there are cave tours, museum tours with a cinema, and then kids adventure days with wood carving and bug hunting and stuff.

The best part isn’t the crags themselves. You walk past the centre and through the car park carrying along the path to the main road, cross the road to the heavily signposted Robin Hood way. After about an hour you come to a creepy tunnel thing where people have been carving their initials and the date for hundreds of years into the sand stone.

Because technology is marvellous...

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

Don't daquiris and cosmos both have lime juice in though
Yeah, but I like my cosmos clear & my daiquiris cloudy though, different techniques get different effects. For example:

MikeCrotch posted:

Jasmine

60ml gin
45ml lemon juice
7ml Campari
7ml orange liqueur
Just made one of these stirred (3/2/.5/.5 ratios though, ur not my dad e2: lol that's the same ratio you said, I don't actually read recipes):

Look how clear that is compared to a classic daq. I actually didn't have enough bottled juice either so just carefully strained some fresh squeezed, works fine.

It's delicious btw, thanks for the recc :)

e: cool caves btw Tesla :)

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 21, 2021

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
That Jasmine does sound nice; I like a good bitter cocktail.

Big fan of a negroni

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

learnincurve posted:

You would love Creswell Crags which isn’t that far from you, it’s one of those hidden gems. In the normal times there are cave tours, museum tours with a cinema, and then kids adventure days with wood carving and bug hunting and stuff.

The best part isn’t the crags themselves. You walk past the centre and through the car park carrying along the path to the main road, cross the road to the heavily signposted Robin Hood way. After about an hour you come to a creepy tunnel thing where people have been carving their initials and the date for hundreds of years into the sand stone.

Because technology is marvellous...

My old hometown of Mansfield is surprisingly riddled with caves (it IS on the same New Red Sandstone formation as Nottingham - hell, the road next to my childhood home in Woodhouse was a fairly obvious prominence and will probably erode into caves in a few hundred thousand years) and used to have some pretty awesome rock homes - and a pub in a cave, that unfortunately due to some epic mismanagement has been shut down for a long time. (Personal ambition is to re-open the loving place because really, pub in a cave).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Olpainless posted:

My old hometown of Mansfield is surprisingly riddled with caves (it IS on the same New Red Sandstone formation as Nottingham - hell, the road next to my childhood home in Woodhouse was a fairly obvious prominence and will probably erode into caves in a few hundred thousand years) and used to have some pretty awesome rock homes - and a pub in a cave, that unfortunately due to some epic mismanagement has been shut down for a long time. (Personal ambition is to re-open the loving place because really, pub in a cave).

I am 100% ok with the Peak District and Nottingham Forest being tourist traps because it keeps the old former industrial areas free for the locals. Did you know they have re-done the Clowne branch line greenway? Currently it’s only poolsbrook to creswell but they want to greenway all the way from Worksop to Nottingham.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/huwbbc/status/1373628364142022661?s=19

Our media is too weird

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

learnincurve posted:

I am 100% ok with the Peak District and Nottingham Forest being tourist traps because it keeps the old former industrial areas free for the locals. Did you know they have re-done the Clowne branch line greenway? Currently it’s only poolsbrook to creswell but they want to greenway all the way from Worksop to Nottingham.

I didn't. That does sound like it'd be good to see though. Caves in general are awesome.

I'm closer to Matlock though nowadays (although that's a tourist trap as well - Cromwford Canal's a pretty nice walk though, and also great in April for gathering enough wild garlic to feed an entire town)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I mean surely thats a comment on the BBC ordering him to remove the photo of him with the welsh flag earlier this week?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1373558553454206979
What could possibly go wrong?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Will they or did someone get drunk in a bar and try and find out how gullible torygraph journalists are?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm wondering how come they make the gas masks with the filter hole on either side.

Do you get to pick your favorite when you sign up do you reckon?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
no you see it's not meddling around the world when we send our special forces into other countries on secret missions, because

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

learnincurve posted:

Will they or did someone get drunk in a bar and try and find out how gullible torygraph journalists are?

yeah ime the people who think either intelligence or special forces are Really Cool are the same people who respond to any question on their behaviour or failures as "that didnt happen, you cant actually know that happened, they're secret" so it's very much free PR

we'll find out if it's true from whether or not the death in service rate suddenly skyrockets, but I'd assume everyone in charge of kidnapping iranian students has at least enough sense of self-preservation to makes something actually dangerous a nonstarter

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I mean surely thats a comment on the BBC ordering him to remove the photo of him with the welsh flag earlier this week?

Yeah and it's all weird

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

learnincurve posted:

That greenway is fantastic, I live in Staveley and I saw deer on the greenway to Cresswell not too long ago.

It's also weird to see people talking here about my tiny part of the world.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
guardian most read august 2022

STARMER SKEWERS LORD PROTECTOR JOHNSON IN LATEST PMQ EXCHANGE

"TECHNICAL ERRORS" CONTINUE TO DOG VARIOUS SAS AIRCRAFT, REPORT FINDS

I SAW THE HORRORS OF BOLIVIAN QUINOA CAMPS - THE UN MUST INTERVENE

THE BROTHERS CORBYN - AND A LEGACY OF TERROR

NEW GENERATION OF PROSPECTIVE DUMA CANDIDATES V. KNOWLEDGEABLE ABOUT SYRIAN CATHEDRALS, REPORT FINDS

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

AceClown posted:

That greenway is fantastic, I live in Staveley and I saw deer on the greenway to Cresswell not too long ago.

It's also weird to see people talking here about my tiny part of the world.

I live in Mastin Moor 🤣

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

learnincurve posted:

I live in Mastin Moor 🤣

No fuckin way, that's crazy.

Pint in the All Inn when it reopens?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

AceClown posted:

No fuckin way, that's crazy.

Pint in the All Inn when it reopens?

Sure thing :) that carvery cannot open soon enough for me, I’m still all sad that they made it weekend only because the chips are The Best chips ever.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

I'm wondering how come they make the gas masks with the filter hole on either side.

Do you get to pick your favorite when you sign up do you reckon?

depends which shoulder you brace your rifle on

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

no you see it's not meddling around the world when we send our special forces into other countries on secret missions, because

If they really do it I the Russians are just going to start funding all the UK separatist movements. It would certainly be interesting to see what happens with a state actor fanning the flames.

They'll still blame it on Corbyn though. I'll put £5 on that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Russia really wants to destabilize and weaken the UK wouldn't they just fund the Tories?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ah yes pick fights with the russians that historically works out well

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

If Russia really wants to destabilize and weaken the UK wouldn't they just fund the Tories?

Why spend money to those who are doing it for free.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Wait, are you trying to say they somehow... don't already? :confused:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Wait, are you trying to say they somehow... don't already? :confused:

Are you suggesting Lord Lebedev didn't get where he was on merit?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Bristol police station under siege with a burning police van outside. Bristol does not gently caress about.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

was it a 'conveniently parked and abandoned in the path of a protest' van

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jakabite posted:

Bristol police station under siege with a burning police van outside. Bristol does not gently caress about.

I nearly went to that protest but ultimately decided against it. Wish I'd gone now, it looks pretty effective.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kecske posted:

was it a 'conveniently parked and abandoned in the path of a protest' van

What are you implying?

And yeah if every city in the UK was like Bristol we'd be in a much better position right now. Nation of loving bootlickers

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you suggesting Lord Lebedev didn't get where he was on merit?

that reminds me, I was listening to R4 at some point recently and they had Lord Johnson on to be interviewed

because of loving course Boris gave his brother a peerage and no-one batted an eyelid

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jakabite posted:

What are you implying?

And yeah if every city in the UK was like Bristol we'd be in a much better position right now. Nation of loving bootlickers

I'm not implying anything, I'm pretty clearly saying that the state is not above abandoning a bait vehicle somewhere it's going to attract anger from a crowd so they can take pictures of the vandalised vehicle and plaster it across the news.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kecske posted:

I'm not implying anything, I'm pretty clearly saying that the state is not above abandoning a bait vehicle somewhere it's going to attract anger from a crowd so they can take pictures of the vandalised vehicle and plaster it across the news.

True. I don't know to be honest, it's one of those things where if every city did it would work but one city doing it can have the opposite effect.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Eat poo poo pigs??

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DesperateDan posted:

haven't been quite as busy on the farm as I wanted the last week or two but things are shaping up for a busy planting season

this is good keep 'em coming

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What's up UKMT, long time no see. Let me tell you things in Bristol are loving lit right now

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What kicked all this off specifically? I know things have been tense ever since Everard and the crackdown at the vigil, but this seems like an escalation.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

What's up UKMT, long time no see. Let me tell you things in Bristol are loving lit right now

Do tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

kecske posted:

It's hard to say it was a bait vehicle when it was parked right in front of the police station