Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The gas cap is identical to those found on chinese scooters, they leak rain water all the time but you look like you keep your bike indoors so it probably won't ever be an issue.

The brakes idk, the caliper is like every gy6 scooter, just with a bigger diameter disc, and the effectiveness seemed in line with that aka nowhere close to being able to stoppie with me onboard. I thought they were really bad on all the ones I've ridden, but they're also the kind of vehicle absolute morons get around here, so it's entirely possible that they were all just hosed because of bad owners and I've never ridden a normal one.

E: terrible snipe, here is a bike I saw today that I've never seen irl before, there were two identical ones in the carpark and I couldn't see a tow truck anywhere so they must have gotten there themselves I guess

The bash plate is affixed to the headers and there is no lower frame rails and the engine is a stressed member and and and :psyboom:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

The gas cap is identical to those found on chinese scooters, they leak rain water all the time but you look like you keep your bike indoors so it probably won't ever be an issue.

The brakes idk, the caliper is like every gy6 scooter, just with a bigger diameter disc, and the effectiveness seemed in line with that aka nowhere close to being able to stoppie with me onboard. I thought they were really bad on all the ones I've ridden, but they're also the kind of vehicle absolute morons get around here, so it's entirely possible that they were all just hosed because of bad owners and I've never ridden a normal one.

I got mine from an older dude who used it to herd his llamas and goats so maybe that’s the type of PO we need to look out for.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

The bash plate is affixed to the headers and there is no lower frame rails and the engine is a stressed member and and and :psyboom:

But it's so stylish!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

No. No why would you do this?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

builds character posted:

No. No why would you do this?
:italy:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

You say that but I had a beta 390 and that bike owned.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I thought Betas were Spanish, but no, they were founded by the son of the guy who started Bianchi bicycles.

Slavvy posted:

E: terrible snipe, here is a bike I saw today that I've never seen irl before, there were two identical ones in the carpark and I couldn't see a tow truck anywhere so they must have gotten there themselves I guess

They know the beard and suspenders crowd that actually buys their bikes won't ever take them anywhere rougher than a fire road

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What bikes besides boxers and guzzis have identical owners everywhere on earth? Eg sport bike bros are a thing in america, but here most sportbike riders are middle aged rossi wannabes. Harley riders are nazi rednecks in america, mostly normal people here.

But guzzi owners? Guzzi owners never change. They are ALWAYS a 50+ fat man.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Guzzi? More like Gonzo!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

TheBacon posted:

It never dawned on me that Sunoco was SUN Oil COmpany wow. In my defense they don't really exist on the west coast.

Wait until you find out about Esso!

Standard Oil, S.O.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

I don't hate them, they just aren't a bike. They're a chinese scooter with a manual box, shaped like a bike, so they are hideously unrefined and terrible in all the small ways like switches, gas cap, brakes etc. The riding position is also really weird and hosed feeling, like a racing bicycle with the seat really high and nowhere to put your legs.

They just aren't anything like the appearance would suggest is all.

Yes thats.... that's the sachs madass we can all see it. Maybe the piss soaked dishrag in your heart should be replaced by fun stupid bikes?

edit: I'm the guy that puts a tailbox on everything to make it more practical and even I think the madass 125 is perfect as is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have 3 bikes, all of them stupid fun bikes, of which only the 40yo 125 is the closest to practical, and none of them go.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I think topboxes look so hideous that their innate ugliness far outweighs any utility.

But you do you Coydog :)

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Recently got rid of the zrx 1100

Beautiful bike, but absolute pain to work on, also really uncomfortable at anything over 70mph

Blandit 6 is with my uncle, but I really don't want it back tbh

My old winter hack (bike not the wife)

And the current bag of death

E. My first big bike was this Honda Dominator 650 that I butchered. Really miss this bike, maybe I'll get another one day.

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 21, 2021

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Salisbury Snape posted:

My old winter hack (bike not the wife)

for the record you don't have to clarify this, we're on SA not ADVrider

PS nice bikes, I predict you're going to regret letting go of the zeerex though

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I already regret letting go of it. I just hated riding it and the wife moaned about how uncomfortable it was as a pillion.
Even the smallest of jobs like throttle cable replacement was just :effort: and made you take half the bike apart.
They are going to be worth a fortune in a few years, especially the Eddie lawson colours from standard like that one.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
There’s a few 1100s available locally for $3500-5000. I wanted to bite on one pretty badly, but I already have a bike that’s painful at interstate speeds and I certainly don’t need a third older, carbureted bike; especially one that’s difficult to maintain.

Better sooner than later if you want an NX650, too. Only ever see the odd 125 or 250 as things are.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I don't hate them, they just aren't a bike. They're a chinese scooter with a manual box, shaped like a bike, so they are hideously unrefined and terrible in all the small ways like switches, gas cap, brakes etc. The riding position is also really weird and hosed feeling, like a racing bicycle with the seat really high and nowhere to put your legs.

They just aren't anything like the appearance would suggest is all.
Agreeing, having ridden and worked on a couple. I'd get a CT110 too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Madasses (madassii?) always struck me as a big bmx bike with an engine

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love the look of sideways V’s for some reason but I’d rather find an old CX than buy a Guzzi.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Took some more pictures today:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Salisbury Snape posted:

I already regret letting go of it. I just hated riding it and the wife moaned about how uncomfortable it was as a pillion.
Even the smallest of jobs like throttle cable replacement was just :effort: and made you take half the bike apart.
They are going to be worth a fortune in a few years, especially the Eddie lawson colours from standard like that one.

This is really bizarre because MY WIFE swears the rex is the best passenger bike of all time. I routinely got mine up around 200kmh with no discomfort. Different strokes I guess.

My one came with a broken elbow on the throttle return cable, and a replacement cable. I owned that bike for two years and could never be hosed replacing that cable. Still got it somewhere!

Rolo posted:

I love the look of sideways V’s for some reason but I’d rather find an old CX than buy a Guzzi.

This isn't the improvement you think it is, I'd rather the guzzi tbh.

Steakandchips posted:

Took some more pictures today:

You're getting better but it still looks like you're taking pictures for craigslist. Try crouching down a bit so you get more sky and the horizon lower in the frame, bike will look big and imposing instead of an odd lumpy shape we're looking down on. Like the second shot but more so. Beautiful area!

E: I had to help my mate sell the worst monster in the world recently and this was the most flattering photo I could do:

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 21, 2021

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

This is really bizarre because MY WIFE swears the rex is the best passenger bike of all time. I routinely got mine up around 200kmh with no discomfort. Different strokes I guess.

My one came with a broken elbow on the throttle return cable, and a replacement cable. I owned that bike for two years and could never be hosed replacing that cable. Still got it somewhere

She far prefers the vfr for passenger comfort.
When I bought the rex 4 years or so ago, the throttle cable snapped after about a week of owning her. I had to drop the airbox out to get the carbs out to replace, kawazaki somehow managed to cram everything into the tightest possible space, it was an absolute nightmare getting it out, let alone back in again.
I saw some trick with a bent piece of wire that you could do without taking anything out, but I tried for a couple of hours with no success and but the bullet and pulled it all apart.
I think that's the biggest reason I hated that bike. Very early into owning it and a couldn't stand the sight of it after that weekend of hell

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef

Managed to get out a bit this weekend. The Trident is a nice little bike and I am now 100% certain I made the right choice. My skills will run out before this bikes ability to do what I need it to will.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's a very tidy looking bike.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I have 3 bikes, all of them stupid fun bikes, of which only the 40yo 125 is the closest to practical, and none of them go.
What's wrong with them, and why haven't you fixed them yet? Are you basically not riding at all these days?

Slavvy posted:

You're getting better but it still looks like you're taking pictures for craigslist. Try crouching down a bit so you get more sky and the horizon lower in the frame, bike will look big and imposing instead of an odd lumpy shape we're looking down on. Like the second shot but more so. Beautiful area!
Good tips, will employ them for future pictures... I need to take a few for the Honda, maybe tomorrow if there is some sunshine.

The David Stirling memorial really is in an amazingly scenic place, and it's on a really good rode to ride on as well.

Also that's a great pic of your mate's Monster!

Sagebrush posted:

Standard Oil, S.O.
I did not know this. Interesting.

Oibignose posted:

Managed to get out a bit this weekend. The Trident is a nice little bike and I am now 100% certain I made the right choice. My skills will run out before this bikes ability to do what I need it to will.
The Trident is beautiful. I could be tempted by one next year as a commuter...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Standard Oil, S.O.
Every
Sucker
Stops
Once!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

There was a CX Turbo up on BaT that just ended: 1983 CX Turbo

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got to try out my new helmet yesterday. Shoei RF-1400 in the Arcane colorway. Seems real nice. Too tight on my cheeks, but that's normal for a new helmet.

Hopefully that doesn't look like a Craigslist photo.

edit; oddly though, the visor and my polarized, prescription sunglasses don't play great together. Puddles look like they have oil on them. Bit of a rainbow effect.

edit2; Google tells me this is super common. I could have sworn I'd worn them with clear visors before, but I guess I've always used smoked visors and regular glasses.

dema fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 21, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

What's wrong with them, and why haven't you fixed them yet? Are you basically not riding at all these days?

Good tips, will employ them for future pictures... I need to take a few for the Honda, maybe tomorrow if there is some sunshine.

The David Stirling memorial really is in an amazingly scenic place, and it's on a really good rode to ride on as well.

Also that's a great pic of your mate's Monster!

In no particular order:

- A stripped spark plug thread, which isn't a big deal, but it's also got a completely flappy worn out timing chain I should do when the head is off and those are expensive and hard to obtain so I haven't touched it
- Destroyed engine, needs an engine but got no money
- Needs a wideband o2 controller to attempt to tune it so it's rideable, I had been using my mate's one but now that's permanently in his car and it turns out they're super expensive!

I've just remembered I actually have four bikes, because there's always nazibike, which is 100% road legal and in good shape, but nazibike. So yeah I almost never get to ride anything mine nowadays, I'm on other people's bikes all the time though.

dema posted:

Got to try out my new helmet yesterday. Shoei RF-1400 in the Arcane colorway. Seems real nice. Too tight on my cheeks, but that's normal for a new helmet.

Hopefully that doesn't look like a Craigslist photo.

That is a good photo. I see a literbike and snow and my genitals have become fully inverted.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How much effort is it to de-Nazifi the Nazibike?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Well. If anything goes wrong, I was warned, but it hit every point I was looking for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd have to repaint the whole thing. I don't mind riding it (I just put tape on the tank) but it's a Hyosung cruiser so I have to be really jonesing to want to bother. I really only ride it when one of my mates thinks he's learned something and needs humbling; I'm usually too tired to be hosed riding around on a lovely cruiser by myself for 'fun'.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

dema posted:

edit; oddly though, the visor and my polarized, prescription sunglasses don't play great together. Puddles look like they have oil on them. Bit of a rainbow effect.

edit2; Google tells me this is super common. I could have sworn I'd worn them with clear visors before, but I guess I've always used smoked visors and regular glasses.

When most clear plastics are formed or molded, they gain polarization properties as the polymer molecules are stretched around. If you view a polarized light source through molded plastic, you can often see small rainbow fringes. Try setting your computer screen to a blank white image, then look at it through your visor. You'll probably see some subtle colors.

It becomes especially obvious when you put the plastic between two polarized filters, or view polarized light through the plastic and then another filter. Puddles of water reflect polarized light, which is then going through your visor, and then through your polarized sunglasses. Here I have made a very dramatic example of the same effect you're experiencing by holding up an injection-molded styrene tape dispenser in front of my computer screen, then photographing it through a polarizing filter.

The patterns actually correspond to the internal stresses in the plastic. Note how they're the densest around the injection gate below the cutting teeth, where the plastic has to make a 90-degree turn in the molding process.

:science:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Got out to ride for a bit in the mild weather we're having on the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

Didn't grab my DSLR so I was stuck using my cell phone. Decided to make it a challenge and see how good I could get with just my cell.

Got an example terrible cell phone motorcycle shot.

Then zoomed all the way out and got low and close to get a better perspective and throw the sun into the frame. Half-rear end edited them in lightroom mobile and here is what I shat out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

This isn't the improvement you think it is, I'd rather the guzzi tbh.
I'm gonna have to just post "ditto" to every Slavvy post. I thought I'd add some here because I've worked on many CX650s and many Guzzis. The CX is one of Honda's rare fuckups. They have more problems than comparable Guzzis have in my experience. The charging system is poor, the ignition system is poor, the carbs are poor. They are heavy, top heavy, and not powerful. Guzzis of the pre-1980s era are reasonably well built, designed for sturdy reliability, simple like old BMWs, so they are generally better. Guzzis around the time of the CX650 (80s) were transitioning from being effectively German into being properly Italian, so they are also not great. They have continued to be not great since. But it confuses me how popular the CX Hondas are these days, especially for custom jobs. They are not a nice platform to start with, and generally not a lot of fun to ride in my opinion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

my turn in the barrel posted:

Got out to ride for a bit in the mild weather we're having on the Illinois/Wisconsin border.

Didn't grab my DSLR so I was stuck using my cell phone. Decided to make it a challenge and see how good I could get with just my cell.

Then zoomed all the way out and got low and close to get a better perspective and throw the sun into the frame. Half-rear end edited them in lightroom mobile and here is what I shat out.

Noice. Was the sky actually half yellow half blue like that?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm gonna have to just post "ditto" to every Slavvy post. I thought I'd add some here because I've worked on many CX650s and many Guzzis. The CX is one of Honda's rare fuckups. They have more problems than comparable Guzzis have in my experience. The charging system is poor, the ignition system is poor, the carbs are poor. They are heavy, top heavy, and not powerful. Guzzis of the pre-1980s era are reasonably well built, designed for sturdy reliability, simple like old BMWs, so they are generally better. Guzzis around the time of the CX650 (80s) were transitioning from being effectively German into being properly Italian, so they are also not great. They have continued to be not great since. But it confuses me how popular the CX Hondas are these days, especially for custom jobs. They are not a nice platform to start with, and generally not a lot of fun to ride in my opinion.

This matches my experience perfectly. I thought guzzis we all terrible garbage, but now I've seen a few genuinely old ones and they put me in mind of a contemporary Harley more than anything - a rugged workhorse with some unique features. It's exactly like you say - 80's and onwards they are standard Italian lovely with few redeeming qualities.

Why anyone does anything with a cx is a mystery to me, I've always put it down to ignorance + cafe racer cargo cult monkey brain guzzi mashup. They are equally as crap as an old guzzi but also a tedious Honda to ride.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

my turn in the barrel posted:

drat yo, these are nice. Evocative and compositionally tight af.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Noice. Was the sky actually half yellow half blue like that?

Yes but I always bump the vibrance and use a bit of dehaze to get the sky to pop without getting all #ShittyHDR or #ShittyFilter.

Here are the shots as my cell camera took them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those look better to me tbh, I think the processing was still too heavy-handed, but also I'm not an artist or anything and the fact that they came from a cellphone is mind-blowing to me.