Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao at being probed and still coming to the forums to use your buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Greg Legg posted:

Flavius if you didn't post in this thread you wouldn't have to punish people who don't like you. You're making more work for yourself.

he's spurring on the mod economy through hard work and effort

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

are there countries where jailed judges still jail others?

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 21, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Greg Legg posted:

Flavius if you didn't post in this thread you wouldn't have to punish people who don't like you. You're making more work for yourself.

:10bux: one of the d&d freaks is reporting any posts that dont toe the state department line

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

apropos to nothing posted:

the CCP has imo used the war on terror to escalate the repression of muslim minorities in xinjiang for decades. they have been jailing political dissidents and labor organizers all over the country during that time as well, especially over the last 5 years. I also believe they are an imperialist power, and recent events in myanmar and the ccp political approach to them are a good example of this imo. however, mods should not be inflicting punishments on people who fall on a different side of a contentious issue, especially in forums that are on paper about debating and discussing. so for example, i think this way and so i state my opinion and reasons for it in an attempt to convince others, rather than punish them for wrong think. its not just china either you also have posters in dnd punished for calling the border camps in the US concentration camps which is a position that sitting US congress people hold publicly but which posters cannot say in threads set aside for that exact discussion to be had. I agree with calling them concentration camps cause they imo are but I would also not want those who insist they are NOT concentration camps to be punished for making points to that effect even if I disagree with them. regardless of whether you agree with that classification or not, dont punish people who disagree with you politically. also unban larry and the others.
this is a good post

also corroborating evidence:

Bathtub Cheese posted:

China will have always been along for the ride with respect to carbon intensive modernization because the alternative was some flavor of neocolonial relationship with the West.

in the present, China isn’t as bad on the climate front and the gap will only grow in the future, coinciding with the gap between the increasingly frantic American claims of genocide in China and reality.

we’re all doomed anyway but China will fall apart slower

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao are you fuckin' serious

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Xaris posted:

also corroborating evidence

the stupendous amount of bullshit that is that probe, lmao

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
this forum should be better than D&D, not just the same but with less punctuation

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
mod no: denying chinese concentration camps

mod yes: denying us concentration camps

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

can we please choose our mods instead of whoever is acceptable to the mods and admins and d&d posters

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

this is a good post

:cripes:

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
genocide denying son

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

just give me buttons again, i'm the only one from cspam with a proven track record of abusing them only outside of cspam

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

this is a good post

why is it so difficult for people to understand the difference between ethnic cleansing/genocide and indoctrination? There is no genocide in happening in china

and lol at anyone—especially americans—calling china an imperial power

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the stupendous amount of bullshit that is that probe, lmao

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

this is a good post

also good to know that any questioning of the us narrative whatsoever is genocide denial now, extremely normal and good environment to talk politics that

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

commielingus posted:

why is it so difficult for people to understand the difference between ethnic cleansing/genocide and indoctrination? There is no genocide in happening in china

and lol at anyone—especially americans—calling china an imperial power

mods????????????????????????????

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

just give me buttons again, i'm the only one from cspam with a proven track record of abusing them only outside of cspam

you slew the D&D monsters in here, when the thread got feedback swapped over here for a day or so

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

make homeex an admin again against his will

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
free connielingual

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

also good to know that any questioning of the us narrative whatsoever is genocide denial now, extremely normal and good environment to talk politics that

when flaevius gets teh boot he can always work for bellingcat

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

it's like the forums mods are cia and trying to make us crack ping as hard as possible so they can justify the eventual deletion of CSPAM

not me of course, i am immune to this

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

this is a good post

Crusty Dipshit probing like a moron again

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They're the same mod who unironically posted Justin Trudeau in the stavviebabies of politics thread and also said that Stav looked like a rapist.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They're the same mod who unironically posted Justin Trudeau in the stavviebabies of politics thread and also said that Stav looked like a rapist.
that's unforgivable. any cspam ik/mod that doesn't like stav needs to be removed and banished.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

apropos to nothing posted:

the CCP has imo used the war on terror to escalate the repression of muslim minorities in xinjiang for decades. they have been jailing political dissidents and labor organizers all over the country during that time as well, especially over the last 5 years. I also believe they are an imperialist power, and recent events in myanmar and the ccp political approach to them are a good example of this imo. however, mods should not be inflicting punishments on people who fall on a different side of a contentious issue, especially in forums that are on paper about debating and discussing. so for example, i think this way and so i state my opinion and reasons for it in an attempt to convince others, rather than punish them for wrong think. its not just china either you also have posters in dnd punished for calling the border camps in the US concentration camps which is a position that sitting US congress people hold publicly but which posters cannot say in threads set aside for that exact discussion to be had. I agree with calling them concentration camps cause they imo are but I would also not want those who insist they are NOT concentration camps to be punished for making points to that effect even if I disagree with them. regardless of whether you agree with that classification or not, dont punish people who disagree with you politically. also unban larry and the others.

Agreedo

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008
I seriously hate that this forum is the best leftist place that I've found on the internet to collect all the various insights and news from all around because the current mods are just the absolute dumbest and most aggravating morons that I can remember being mods in the couple of decades that I've lurked this dumb forum.

Pomeroy posted:

Not strictly a news outfit, but these folks are good: https://www.qiaocollective.com/

History-wise, they did this video series with the PSL: https://liberationschool.org/china-class-2020/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHl3HvhTK4

I want to thank you for this post btw. I've been slowly watching this series as well as reading quite a bit of the website since you recommended it. I plan to start digging into the reading lists that they are recommending as well.

Along the lines of having an actual topic to engage with that isn't just "I loving hate the mods", does anybody have have examples or maybe studies even of there being any population that is truly happy and willing to get up and go to work to make the world a "better place"?

I know this is almost entirely subjective, but I've fallen entirely to complete alienation in Iowa in the US. There is no form of employment that I can even imagine existing in this country that would actually make me feel like I'm making even the slightest impact on the world. I'm also fully aware that climate change-wise, we are pretty much over and done with no matter what at this point.

But I can't help but wish that I actually had something worth giving my all for. That I could wake up and think at the very least that, "maybe it won't be enough but at least I'm making some form of difference" as opposed to any form of employment in the US just being a means to funnel more money to lovely people.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Are the mods going to ban the State Department posters now too

quote:

The U.S. State Department’s Office of the Legal Advisor concluded earlier this year that China’s mass imprisonment and forced labor of ethnic Uighurs in Xinjiang amounts to crimes against humanity—but there was insufficient evidence to prove genocide, placing the United States’ top diplomatic lawyers at odds with both the Trump and Biden administrations, according to three former and current U.S. officials.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/02/19/china-uighurs-genocide-us-pompeo-blinken/

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Baykin posted:

That I could wake up and think at the very least that, "maybe it won't be enough but at least I'm making some form of difference" as opposed to any form of employment in the US just being a means to funnel more money to lovely people.

I think the answer for you is to become an ecoterrorist. personally I work in public transportation and I feel like it’s a good industry to be part of :)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mods ain't gonna ban themselves

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

paul_soccer12 posted:

mods????????????????????????????

the two people who somehow managed to convince liberals overnight that the Uighur indoctrination centers are genocidal-organ-harvesting-gas chambers are mike Pompeo and adrian zenz—two serial liars and literal Christian theocrats (fascists). pompeo’s reasonsing was so flimsy and flawed that he waited till the literal last day in office as SoS to declare it “genocide” lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

commielingus posted:

pompeo’s reasonsing was so flimsy and flawed that he waited till the literal last day in office as SoS to declare it “genocide” lol

And then Blinken agreed with it anyway

Lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

commielingus posted:

the two people who somehow managed to convince liberals overnight that the Uighur indoctrination centers are genocidal-organ-harvesting-gas chambers are mike Pompeo and adrian zenz—two serial liars and literal Christian theocrats (fascists). pompeo’s reasonsing was so flimsy and flawed that he waited till the literal last day in office as SoS to declare it “genocide” lol

see, if this was Jacob Wohl and the Congressman, we'd all be having a laugh and moving past what is equally the same stunt being pulled by the quoted two

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

on that subject, did blinken ever say anything about Cuba's state terrorist designation?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Baykin posted:

does anybody have have examples or maybe studies even of there being any population that is truly happy and willing to get up and go to work to make the world a "better place"?
I don't have an answer. Maybe Cuban doctors and that sort of thing. or maybe some unionized public agency job like train operators or train maintenance machining crews, idk. maybe some postal people like their jobs bringing letters and packages to people, but it seems exhausting and just awful pay with long hours. writ-large? probably not.

the relationship between labor and community has been atomized into smithereens and alienated beyond recognition across the planet. even most nominally "helpful / ethical / rewarding" jobs have been so thoroughly exploited and de-waged into oblivion by nature of it being something someone could be "proud of". There's very few places with any sense of national-communal identification and solidarity (some places in south america exist, and that sort of thing), but not much in the western world given the nature of what it was built ontop of. At best you can hope for is some weak union-based solidarity in the nature of work.

I do a lot of civil engineering works for public projects, earthquake retrofits, dams, pipelines, water supply, hospitals, housing, dams, spillway inspections, construction inspection and monitoring, etc, and the only reason I even continue is just because... well.. no idea but it's a steady paycheck. i don't feel any communal reward or like it's actually helping people or making things better. i dont get excited each day to wake up and do my job; im burnt out and can barely stay motivated. that could just be brain problems though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

waiting for the mods to delete TCC and ban everyone in the weed thread