Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Squibbles posted:

I'd also love to see them add oars so you could have people row (faster than the min speed now) even into headwinds

Like every good idea for this game, there is a mod for that. The more people, the faster you go. I think it's on thunderstore. There's also a really cheesy one that lets you use surtling cores as fuel to zip around like a speedboat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

if the wind is scripted i both love and hate the mods

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does anyone know anything about the properties of Draugr body piles?

My friend had the idea of making a Draugr barbecue pit/entrail farm by making a bunch of campfires and building up walls around a body pile from a Draugr village. He built the pit but then the pile seemed to stop spawning Draugr even though we hadn't destroyed it.

We tried this earlier where he dug a moat around the body pile and it worked for a while but then the body pile got destroyed, possibly from some dumbass like me shooting arrows at the Draugr.

That's what was going on in the screenshot I posted earlier of the Draugr standing in a fire.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Finally got around to killing boss 4. Was way, way overprepared - with a highly upgraded shield and a frost potion running, the air attack did some damage but I could just face tank pretty much everything else. You can kind of wedge yourself in between her neck and wing and she'd spin around harmlessly trying to turn at you. Used like 40 arrows out of the 400 I had and did most of it in melee.

Do Fulings respawn in their villages? If so, imagining that setting up next to a couple would be the best way to farm Dark Iron, rather than wandering around plains areas randomly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spend a couple hours building and defending a base in the plains, you'll get more black iron than you know what to do with.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Please respect Scandinavian culture. It's Black Metal. :black101:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Killstick posted:

I forgot my main base!

*edit* Yes i made these. I MADE THEM. ME!
Also it's so difficult to screenshot some of these, a gif would be much better but i don't know how to do that.

Very cool.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nosre posted:

Finally got around to killing boss 4. Was way, way overprepared - with a highly upgraded shield and a frost potion running, the air attack did some damage but I could just face tank pretty much everything else. You can kind of wedge yourself in between her neck and wing and she'd spin around harmlessly trying to turn at you. Used like 40 arrows out of the 400 I had and did most of it in melee.

Do Fulings respawn in their villages? If so, imagining that setting up next to a couple would be the best way to farm Dark Iron, rather than wandering around plains areas randomly

I'm surprised you used so few arrows - I think I had draugr fang maxxed out for that fight plus needle arrows and it took me well over 100, bow skill was probably around 30 I think

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
What's the most advanced metal you can mine with a troll?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

What's the most advanced metal you can mine with a troll?

Mine with a troll? You mean like kiting a troll to a rock and letting it wail away at it?

Copper.

Iron is either under ground in the swamps or in sunken crypts. Silver is under ground in the mountains.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You can probably kite/harpoon a troll to exposed/excavated silver, I wonder if the troll can break it. Same question with lox with their slam attack

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

You can probably kite/harpoon a troll to silver, I wonder if the troll can break it

But you would probably would have to have dig up the vein and enough of the area around it that a troll would be swinging at it from a sort of level angle.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

mastershakeman posted:

You can probably kite/harpoon a troll to exposed/excavated silver, I wonder if the troll can break it. Same question with lox with their slam attack

Nope. A friend was kiting a rock golem around as it was smashing the mountain and stumbled on a silver vein. He only knew there was silver because the "too hard" message popped up when the golem hit the area it was in.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah, and silver is "too hard" for even gravity to handle.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nosre posted:

They do not.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've come to realize that Valheim isn't about beating the bosses, at least not directly. Instead, it's a journey, about experiencing the world that you have been given.

Using those predefined seeds and/or world hopping is merely cheating yourself of a potentially wonderful experience.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PittTheElder posted:

They do not.

But much like swamp crypts you can find areas with a bunch of villages, and the big ones can net you 60+

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just make noise on the plains at night and fulings will show up, no need to worry about villages or anything.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Ambaire posted:

I've come to realize that Valheim isn't about beating the bosses, at least not directly. Instead, it's a journey, about experiencing the world that you have been given.

Using those predefined seeds and/or world hopping is merely cheating yourself of a potentially wonderful experience.

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been scouting out seeds for after future updates and for when I just want to start fresh, but there's still so much to explore in the world I'm in now.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Based on our needle stockpile my group has killed over 300 deathsquitos without getting a trophy. Only trophy we're missing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Counterpoint: World hopping is great, at least between your personal world, friends worlds, and tour community server.

I really love being able to bring my character between them, although I do try to kit down/kit up to whatever tech level the world has reached when joining and not use the world hopping to push things ahead anywhere but my personal world.

But being able to take your existing character and effortlessly join other friends worlds to see their stuff and show off your own and explore together on the fly is amazing.

Woden
May 6, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Based on our needle stockpile my group has killed over 300 deathsquitos without getting a trophy. Only trophy we're missing.

I'm missing a rancid remains and serpent trophy.

Going back to burial chambers is a chore and I've only ever seen one serpent in 175 hours.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Valheim is about sailing your boat to get a resource, getting killed by a sea serpent, then rescuing your stuff naked on a raft.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Is there anything I can do with the sunken spiral stairs in the swamp?

Also I have a chest full of iron scrap in the swamp. Now how the heck am I going to move this? I'm on a huge continent and running is getting tedious. I have a base in the nearest meadows but I'd need to upgrade my forge in order start upgrading my gear with iron. Unless there's some better way of moving things, I might as well just go mine local copper/tin and start getting those forge upgrades.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You're using a wagon right?

Woden
May 6, 2006
If you want the iron for upgrades just take your forge/smelters closer and build an outpost nearby. Burn as much iron as needed for the upgrades and then cart/run the rest home.

If you really want that iron back in base the best option is creating paths and using a cart. :/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sanctum posted:

Also I have a chest full of iron scrap in the swamp. Now how the heck am I going to move this? I'm on a huge continent and running is getting tedious. I have a base in the nearest meadows but I'd need to upgrade my forge in order start upgrading my gear with iron. Unless there's some better way of moving things, I might as well just go mine local copper/tin and start getting those forge upgrades.

I'm in the exact some spot. What we decided to do was go mine local copper to make a new forge here.

It's especially annoying because I just mined out a bunch of copper to use to make furnishings with, but it'd take almost as long to go get the bars as it would to mine out new ones.

I get not being able to portal ore. It encourages players to set up multiple bases. Not being able to portal bars is just dumb, though. It does the exact opposite thing. I don't want to have to mine out a ton of copper every time I make a new base, so I'm strongly motivated to make as few bases as possible.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sanctum posted:

Is there anything I can do with the sunken spiral stairs in the swamp?

Nope.

quote:

Path, cart, boat.

Relocating is not a bad idea, you want to pick somewhere coastal and not in the swamp. The swamp sucks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I'm finding that the inability to portal metal/ore simply means I abandon bases. Some of them had a lot of work go into them, but once they serve their purpose and there's no nearby ore, they go dark. It seems the point of not letting you portal ore is to prevent people from just setting up portals right next to the mining operation and trivializing the risk of running it, and that makes sense. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're forcing players to travel and boat everywhere more than they already would. I'm maxxed out on all gear through black metal and I used a boat maybe 4 times tops - it's about being smart (and lucky) about where your bases go, and being willing to allow old ones to fall into ruin. Whether or not that was the pace the developers were going for I don't know.

I still agree with the idea of allowing portal upgrades using the current tier of metal to allow the transport of the previous tier. To me that solves both problems - gathering the current tier is the travel adventure they intend, but your old bases stay alive and viable because you earned the ability to transport earlier metals back to them. It would also give a nice upgrade path similar to armor and weapons.

As far as "BUT BOATS" goes, that entire section of the game is not much more than foundation at this point, which is part of what makes transport such an eventless slog (or a zen relaxation exercise depending on your point of view.) I know something about the ocean biome is on their roadmap, so if that part of the game gets a nice fleshing out this point might become moot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm finding that the inability to portal metal/ore simply means I abandon bases. Some of them had a lot of work go into them, but once they serve their purpose and there's no nearby ore, they go dark. It seems the point of not letting you portal ore is to prevent people from just setting up portals right next to the mining operation and trivializing the risk of running it, and that makes sense. But that doesn't necessarily mean they're forcing players to travel and boat everywhere more than they already would. I'm maxxed out on all gear through black metal and I used a boat maybe 4 times tops - it's about being smart (and lucky) about where your bases go, and being willing to allow old ones to fall into ruin. Whether or not that was the pace the developers were going for I don't know.

I still agree with the idea of allowing portal upgrades using the current tier of metal to allow the transport of the previous tier. To me that solves both problems - gathering the current tier is the travel adventure they intend, but your old bases stay alive and viable because you earned the ability to transport earlier metals back to them. It would also give a nice upgrade path similar to armor and weapons.

As far as "BUT BOATS" goes, that entire section of the game is not much more than foundation at this point, which is part of what makes transport such an eventless slog (or a zen relaxation exercise depending on your point of view.) I know something about the ocean biome is on their roadmap, so if that part of the game gets a nice fleshing out this point might become moot.

That's a pretty good summary and being able to spend metal on both sides of a portal to lift the restriction for that specific metal seems like a good idea.

I agree that the smart thing to do when you get a new ore is setting up a forge outpost nearby the deposits to refine the ingots without a long boat ride and I even built them up rather nicely too, but like you said they went dark as soon as all the nearby resources were depleted and there wasn't much reason to be in that part of the world anymore, though they can see a bit more life if they border multiple higher biomes.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I don't think of abandoning bases as a bad thing, as you get better at building and more stuff becomes available I found it much easier to start over rather than try and remodel, and old bases are also pretty decent for teleporter hubs. Then again I haven't build all that big yet.

In any case you're going to need to start over in a new world with some of the content updates, so I think I'll just get that mod that lets you copy and paste buildings at some point and abuse that when I want to move a giant iron beam behemoth.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Woden posted:

I don't think of abandoning bases as a bad thing, as you get better at building and more stuff becomes available I found it much easier to start over rather than try and remodel, and old bases are also pretty decent for teleporter hubs. Then again I haven't build all that big yet.

In any case you're going to need to start over in a new world with some of the content updates, so I think I'll just get that mod that lets you copy and paste buildings at some point and abuse that when I want to move a giant iron beam behemoth.

I kind of like remodeling the old bases, going back with the lessons learned, going "WTF was I thinking" and tearing half of it down and fixing it up again. They still don't get used, though.

When I was first maxxed-out in bronze age gear, and had downed the Elder, I spend countless hours trying to "crack" the swamp biome. I even had trouble finding one. I tried terraforming through areas that turned out to be too close to plains, taking boats, everything. I had a few bases down on what turned out to be iron-poor swamps until I finally found a really big one, and a nice swamp castle went up. (The fourth one did in fact stay up.)

So recently I'm in the plains tier gear, and I'm running around the world coming back from an iron run and I come across a bridge and path in the middle of nowhere. I'd never seen anything like that in the game before, it was clearly a player-made bridge and path with nearby workbench and everything. Eventually I recognized it as one of many failed attempts to breach the swamp biome from the other side, hundreds of game hours ago. That was to me a very cool moment, to realize that I'd overcome the obstacles so thoroughly that I actually encountered my earlier feeble attempts to break into the area I was now approaching from. In the end that path and bridge wound up being the main highway back to my base, and it was purely by accident.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I started with the mindset of mine everything then cart it back to your base. But making a swamp smelter+forge is definitely the way to go. None of the iron gear requires bronze/tin/copper so you only need to bring the initial 16 copper and 2 bronze needed for forge upgrades (plus portal mats) and you're good to make every bit of iron gear. Only sucks for people who want to use it for building materials in another base really.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Phigs posted:

I started with the mindset of mine everything then cart it back to your base. But making a swamp smelter+forge is definitely the way to go. None of the iron gear requires bronze/tin/copper so you only need to bring the initial 16 copper and 2 bronze needed for forge upgrades (plus portal mats) and you're good to make every bit of iron gear. Only sucks for people who want to use it for building materials in another base really.

I put my main base right on the coast. Its also next to a swamp, but ive discovered its very small. So now i gotta boat it back if i wanna build with it. I dont mind boating back iron. Ill build a cart if i need to for transfers to the boat, but i wish there were more carryweight upgrades from the vendor. Make them expensive and a goal. That would be fine by me.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Yeah inventory management in general is the worst part of this game. Too many items for so few slots. Just quadruple all inventory slots and halve the weights. You can carry twice as much and can hold twice the "filler inventory" poo poo as well

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Sanctum posted:

Yeah inventory management in general is the worst part of this game. Too many items for so few slots. Just quadruple all inventory slots and halve the weights. You can carry twice as much and can hold twice the "filler inventory" poo poo as well

Hell, just make stacks unlimited and you would be in pretty good shape. And dedicated inventory slots.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon dedicated slots for armour, and the ability to make and equip bags that hold different types of things. So you could grab your foraging bag when you went out and that would store berries and thistles etc but not, for example, greydwarf eyes.

Probably my least favourite part of this game is how your inventory just fills up with junk

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I moved into the Plains and made an absolutely massive garden. I did this because I found out that flax and barley won't grow anywhere else. Will carrots and turnips grow in the plains? If not I'll keep using my garden near my main Meadows base. I currently have 300+ barley growing, and I wanna put down flax after that, and then turnips.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

I grew way too much flax and now I'm wondering what to do with 1800 linen taking up 2 iron chests as all 3 of us on the server are in fully upgraded padded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

My main base will never be abandoned, I think, but my portal connected "forward operating sections" are definitely mobile, and those smelters and forges will absolutely be dismantled and moved to the next resource rich area as needed.

The silver requirement for wolf armor is annoying. I've got all these wolf pelts and I'm getting ready to go visit the swamp and it would nice to be able to do something with them.