Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i gotta admit "mars bar rover" is pretty clever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

bedpan posted:

I've talked to a great many people, managers and supervisors as well, who flat out didn't believe that people were ever fired "without cause." I even followed this up with the implications of the Right to Work law but they would still disbelieve or would retreat into a vague "well that just doesn't make sense" or "why would a business do that" defense.

These people were intelligent, experienced professionals. They had gone to universities and received advanced degrees. They held positions of power and influence.

There are plenty of educated idiots on the world.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

actionjackson posted:

i gotta admit "mars bar rover" is pretty clever

It was clever before they voiced the “bar”.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lmao at working 50 hours a week. My employer gets my 37.5 hours a week, with the caveat that I will spend the majority of that time posting

:hfive:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forceholy posted:

There are plenty of educated idiots on the world.

Yeah and they all deny the 4 simultaneous days same earth rotation too

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
I always shared my salary with co-workers at the job before last, and no one ever followed suit, including another marketing person hired after me. Found out later they were making 10k more for half the work.

Government jobs listing clear wages is why I want one (among other reasons), because even those 'crappy' wages are better than I've ever been paid for similar work, and I can concentrate on other poo poo in the interview process.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Nah, The Diablo 2 remake will sell like gangbusters

It's being made by another developer that Activision purchased.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah and they all deny the 4 simultaneous days same earth rotation too

I lol'ed nostalgically

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I always shared my salary with co-workers at the job before last, and no one ever followed suit, including another marketing person hired after me. Found out later they were making 10k more for half the work.

Government jobs listing clear wages is why I want one (among other reasons), because even those 'crappy' wages are better than I've ever been paid for similar work, and I can concentrate on other poo poo in the interview process.

it’s just all about setting an example when it comes to talking about salary. I’ll whip mine out the moment it comes up, which helps other people feel more comfortable talking about theirs.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/aniceburrito/status/1373481515234037762

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

trying to lure the GEICO workers, I see

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Can you sue them for false advertising if you spend your entire workday in the bathroom?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

BonHair posted:

Can you sue them for false advertising if you spend your entire workday in the bathroom?

this was a Beavis and Butt-Head episode

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3veycg

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wow, fifteen whole dollars, and the government only takes a quarter of that to *checks notes* give directly to the rich and murder brown people? america is back baby!!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

BonHair posted:

No, see, you can go to the bathroom anytime you want. They didn't say it'd be in the bathroom.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Communist Walrus posted:

No, see, you can go to the bathroom anytime you want. They didn't say it'd be in the bathroom.

amazon is a byob workplace (bring your own bottle)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

$15/hr and a free diaper, reusable, clean it at home

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Tim Hunkin, the who made The Secret Life of Machines, makes some cool physical arcade machines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4fdXtRJXQ

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jetz0r posted:

Tim Hunkin, the who made The Secret Life of Machines, makes some cool physical arcade machines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr4fdXtRJXQ

I was really happy when I watched one of the Secret Life of Machines episodes and Tim Hunkin discussed climate change as a consequence of using internal combustion engines. He totally nailed it, which is a rare thing for a series made in 1989 by a boomer-era brit. Tim by all rights should be a gammon but he isn't and that is wonderful.

Youtube comments were full of people flipping out about Tim acknowledging climate change.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfr3_AwuO9Y&t=672s

Linked to the section where Tim knocks a hole in an oil filter and gets sprayed in the face with motor oil. Bonus points for the amazingly filthy jumpsuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfr3_AwuO9Y&t=1354s

Tim discusses catalytic converters and mentions there is no such thing as a completely green car.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

blizzard hasn't made a good game since activision bought them. welp cya

the only blizzard game i've played is overwatch, and i have to say, it is the most polished game i've ever played. i literally never encountered a glitch or bug. whatever faults blizzard may have, the execs at least care about quality.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

turns out you can polish a turd

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
blizzard is engaged in some peak capitalism here

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/10/blizzard-bribes-female-employees-to-track-their-sex-pregnancy-and-moods/ posted:

The company — and we are not making this up — bribes its female employees with gift cards to install and use Ovia, an app that tracks their reproductive activity. And yes, this includes when they have sex, details about their pregnancy, moods, and even “the appearance of their cervical fluid.” The company then pays Ovia for “anonymized, aggregated” data covering users under its roof. 

paying their employees to install some third party app that they then have to pay for the data about their employees

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Lol that the countries bordering the us are like "uhhh we'll get back to you"

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

bedpan posted:

I was really happy when I watched one of the Secret Life of Machines episodes and Tim Hunkin discussed climate change as a consequence of using internal combustion engines. He totally nailed it, which is a rare thing for a series made in 1989 by a boomer-era brit. Tim by all rights should be a gammon but he isn't and that is wonderful.

Youtube comments were full of people flipping out about Tim acknowledging climate change.

He's got remastered HD versions of SLoM up on his youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtaR0lZhSyAPLuoSbMA29s3Ry8ZUvKff3. He had seasons 2&3 up on his website https://www.timhunkin.com/41_slom1.htm, but made them private a couple days ago.

His commentary is pretty good for the most part, he's not a fan of disposable, wasteful, and inefficient product design.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Australia isn't getting the vaccine for a year so it's extra lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bedpan posted:

I seem to remember climate change not actually being quite as controversial 25+ years ago because consequences were still ambiguous and vague and off in the future enough that people didn't actually feel like they had to give a poo poo one way or the other, and the disinformation campaign hadn't switched into mega-high-gear yet.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Shame Boy posted:

I seem to remember climate change not actually being quite as controversial 25+ years ago because consequences were still ambiguous and vague and off in the future enough that people didn't actually feel like they had to give a poo poo one way or the other, and the disinformation campaign hadn't switched into mega-high-gear yet.

It's depressing how effective the disinformation campaign has been. Like, from the perspective of a boomer oil exec with capitalist brain (ie. all of them) the cost-effectiveness and impact on their profitability has been staggering. They must be so happy with themselves.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

It's depressing how effective the disinformation campaign has been. Like, from the perspective of a boomer oil exec with capitalist brain (ie. all of them) the cost-effectiveness and impact on their profitability has been staggering. They must be so happy with themselves.

The thing that really made it clear just how like, nefarious the whole thing is for me at least was learning that it involved pretty much the exact same groups (and even the same "scientists") as the "smoking doesn't cause cancer" campaign like a few decades before it. Oil companies saw that and how it was able to more or less keep public opinion on something that was obviously, clearly killing people at the "gosh we just don't know!!" level for way longer than it should have been and went "hell yeah give me a piece of that poo poo".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well let's be real, Big Tobacco misinformation and PR (but I repeat myself) has also been staggeringly effective. 120 years ago poo poo like cocaine, opium, cannabis and such were ubiquitous in medicine and related products and that poo poo all got banned so goddamn hard. Even alcohol got banned for a while. But tobacco, which has no positive qualities whatsoever and is as bad or worse than the rest of the previous list hasn't even got close to being banned. It's literally a cancer on our society and we're all trained to be fine with this because of comparatively (to turnover and profits) pitiful amounts of marketing and research funding dollars. Oh and lobbying. Can't forget the legal bribery dollars.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All drugs should be legal,

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Drugs should be legal, having a financial incentive to get people addicted to your product should be illegal.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Drugs should be legal, having a financial incentive to get people addicted to your product should be illegal.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

:thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wow what a compassionate charitable individual, take my reddit gold sir

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

besides the obvious "how is that different than being a landlord" response

the depressing part of it is that landlords are better at coordinating/communicating their class-interest collective behaviors like these (forcing people into the most expensive leases for their budgets because it increases rents and decreases the relative financial power of the tenant) than tenants are

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
tenants with money also expect you to follow the law, know their rights, have resources to get legal assistance, etc

there’s a lot of unspoken poo poo that landlord is glossing over

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cold on a Cob posted:

tenants with money also expect you to follow the law, know their rights, have resources to get legal assistance, etc

there’s a lot of unspoken poo poo that landlord is glossing over

This was my take.

You want your tenant to be desperate. They'll put up with more poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I would think it's similar to employers not hiring over qualified people; they dont want them to leave as soon as they find something better.