Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Moon Slayer posted:

Everyone starts at least one game thinking they're going to be the good guy, but then you find yourself in a situation where the only thing standing between you and your goal is one easily murderable baby. That's when you learn who you really are.

Sometimes it’s your brother, your infant nephew, and your child half-brother.

And also you’re Just but this is faster than two wars and you need to maintain enough land to get an empire title.

(I am a little sad that the Kingdom of the High Seas is harder to form than a standard empire title. It’s really hard to hold onto the titles of King of England, King of Denmark, and King of Norway for 30 years with one character. I had the titles in my family for three generations but no one lived long enough to form it before I finally got a character to generate enough Renown for a standard empire title instead.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Look, if babies don't want to be assassinated, they should stop being small and squishy and in a position of potential power or importance. :colbert:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Tippis posted:

Look, if babies don't want to be assassinated, they should stop being small and squishy and in a position of potential power or importance. :colbert:

Seriously, a smart baby would abdicate in that situation.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

0 year-olds in this game don’t look like babies

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The, frankly, evil smug look all children in this game possess does go a long way to ease the burdens of murdering them.

And, hey, even that paragon of virtue, Arthur Pendragon, was a sister loving child murderer.*

*(Granted, like all later stories regarding Arthur, both of these were just bitter slander from the insecure French in their concerted attempts to undermine the legend. :argh:)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Fucken hearty lol at tribe of Rounala. Nobody throughout the entire history seiged them. This is so far north nobody will go there. They are honestly happy that anyone even remembers they exist

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Everyone starts at least one game thinking they're going to be the good guy, but then you find yourself in a situation where the only thing standing between you and your goal is one easily murderable baby. That's when you learn who you really are.

My attempt at Alexios Komninus game started with murdering a brother than is just went horribly wrong or horribly right I don't know.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's horribly wrong there's no Alexiad start :colbert:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nordick posted:

I was kinda considering rolling back to a save before the feudalisation and see what happens if I just keep my newly created Finnish pagan empire tribal indefinitely.

Goddamn, I'm still mulling over this. I'm still very tempted to keep the Empire title tribal just to see what will happen. And also because I love the idea of just raiding everyone forever. AND because for some reason I get irrationally annoyed by the AI creating their own little pissant cadet branches of the dynasty all the time. Also I'm just amused by the idea of this long line of cantankerous luddite holy emperors stubbornly holding on to the old ways (stubbornness is a virtue in Ukonusko, afterall) while their long-since-feudal vassals get increasingly exasperated.

But then on the other hand, I'm aware that tribal realms are seriously gimped in certain very key aspects. Lol @ capturing any remotely advanced holdings with just onagers.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Truth.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iron century was the best ck2 start

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like playing baby Alexios and making a run for the throne, it’s a nice consolation.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

All of you are right about Alexiad. Whats with the Byzantium crew on Pdox forums who should demand and whine incessantly until it happens?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

binge crotching posted:

100% True.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sekenr posted:

All of you are right about Alexiad. Whats with the Byzantium crew on Pdox forums who should demand and whine incessantly until it happens?

They will whine and complain that Byzantium is too weak for them in that start.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

They will whine and complain that Byzantium is too weak for them in that start.

Of course. What I meant was that byzantophiles were a powerfult faction on the forums back when I was there. They were almost comparable to the Balcan Wars people except posted within the rules and didn't get themselves banned

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So I haven't played since launch, but I decided I want to get the game on Steam rather than on Game Pass because it did genuinely click that time. Though of course my glorious (tutorial) conquest on Ireland is no longer available because the version is outdated. I could start off again around there, but are there any other recommendations for a good starting area/lord for a newer player?

Nevermind. Click on new game, and it has recommendations right there next to the ruler.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 21, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

binge crotching posted:

Is it because it's the earliest you can go when applying Feudal rules still feels fine?

Charlemagne always felt like a mod to me, they even have a lot of events to simulate historical events cause mechanics don't support those events. CK3 Great Heathen Horde start is fine but with most of Europe still being heathen and having a good chance to stay that way it feels slightly wrong.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

same but 1066 after william won

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

Im playing the tutorial with the irish dude

Immediately ally whoever is the current king of England because otherwise it will be a slow and boring campaign of make claim-->use claim until you hit the point where you can actually declare as the King of the Irish crown. And the other petty kings sure as poo poo will ally with someone completely outside your league.

With the king as an ally you can at least take on against anyone you have usable claim on and you need several to reach the tip over point.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

So I haven't played since launch, but I decided I want to get the game on Steam rather than on Game Pass because it did genuinely click that time. Though of course my glorious (tutorial) conquest on Ireland is no longer available because the version is outdated. I could start off again around there, but are there any other recommendations for a good starting area/lord for a newer player?

Nevermind. Click on new game, and it has recommendations right there next to the ruler.
to follow this up: many of the 'starter' historical characters are often stupidly buffed. you typically can't go wrong with any of them. the viking dude in brittany for example has 1000 custom troops and 40 martial and can easily stomp around britain for the next 30 years.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Zane posted:

to follow this up: many of the 'starter' historical characters are often stupidly buffed. you typically can't go wrong with any of them. the viking dude in brittany for example has 1000 custom troops and 40 martial and can easily stomp around britain for the next 30 years.

I suddenly feel a lot less guilty about starting my Finland game with a custom high chieftess with 21 martial and Hale.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gonna try to create Sicily as Haesteinn.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I actually just started playing with Haesteinn and decided to go to India. I noticed he's not that young when the game starts, so I travelled east a lot quicker than was necessary, thinking he might die too early otherwise. Conquer Malta, Sinai, some random spots on the coast of Araby and India until I was in range to Varangian Adventure into Sri Lanka, then shortly trucebroke to conquer the rest of the kingdom of Lanka. He was in his sixties at this point and I thought he might die soon. How wrong I was.

Here is a hundred year old Haesteinn still leading raids and making babies, despite being infirm for almost half a century.

He finally kicked the bucket at the age of 111. He had almost 20 kids, of which only four were male. The oldest died in battle and their genius grandson was murdered by Haesteinn's oldest daughter, the next two died as sickly babies and the fourth one was just bad at everything so I bullied all my vassals not to vote for him.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Gonna try to create Sicily as Haesteinn.

Just did this a few days ago. Day 1 do a Varangian adventure against the Aghlabid sultanate, and then if you're feeling up to it, also a standard conquest of the little 1 province guys (Napoli, Salerno). Make sure you don't peace out with Napoli and Salerno before you finish the war against the Aghlabids, since otherwise you'll lose them. Once those wars are done, Benevento is your next target, which will also give you the required land to form Sicily.

If things go weird in Sicily (one of my early attempts had Italy and the Pope combine to gobble up Benevento while I was still fighting the first war), you can always form the kingdom of Sardinia to get a kingdom while you're building up strength for taking on the Catholics. With the new patch Cagliari is now a really nice province anyway, since it has a gold mine.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

What’s a good territory to start a custom ruler in? With the knowledge that I’m going to do an inverted gender world run so none of the vanilla guys are going to be there.

I’m kinda done with Vikings for now and would like a feudal start, but if there’s a really cool Viking place to start I’m not completely opposed.

Also is there a mod to get rid of the Matrilineal penalty when both sides are from female dominated cultures because man is that annoying when trying to find a good match for heirs.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

binge crotching posted:

Just did this a few days ago. Day 1 do a Varangian adventure against the Aghlabid sultanate, and then if you're feeling up to it, also a standard conquest of the little 1 province guys (Napoli, Salerno). Make sure you don't peace out with Napoli and Salerno before you finish the war against the Aghlabids, since otherwise you'll lose them. Once those wars are done, Benevento is your next target, which will also give you the required land to form Sicily.

If things go weird in Sicily (one of my early attempts had Italy and the Pope combine to gobble up Benevento while I was still fighting the first war), you can always form the kingdom of Sardinia to get a kingdom while you're building up strength for taking on the Catholics. With the new patch Cagliari is now a really nice province anyway, since it has a gold mine.

I just jumped straight into Napoli and started conquering all my neighbors, I'm now King of Sicily, stole Rome from the Pope and got most of Sardinia. A thin strip of land belonging to the Byzantine Emperor stops me from getting the cheevo though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yep

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

What’s a good territory to start a custom ruler in? With the knowledge that I’m going to do an inverted gender world run so none of the vanilla guys are going to be there.

I’m kinda done with Vikings for now and would like a feudal start, but if there’s a really cool Viking place to start I’m not completely opposed.

Also is there a mod to get rid of the Matrilineal penalty when both sides are from female dominated cultures because man is that annoying when trying to find a good match for heirs.

Tuscany in 1066 is a good start, it's easy to get a kingdom with your starting ruler and you can build the University in Bologna to build up renown (or prestige?) quickly

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How exactly does Varangian Adventure work with respect to who gets your old lands? If I have unlanded family members will my old lands get passed to them?

Like if I want to put independent Rurikid everywhere, can I just progressively Adventure my way up and down the rivers?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 21, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

If you want the exact opposite of a viking experience, try Sri Lanka.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SlothBear posted:

If you want the exact opposite of a viking experience, try Sri Lanka.

Sri Lanka in 1066 actually has an absolute unit of a count that can go and wipe the floor with the chola and cross the straits to invade India. It's a pretty fun start

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

hopeandjoy posted:

I really enjoyed playing as a custom ruler in eastern India, the start that has Viraja in it's demesne.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

My Tuscan Haesteinn is still going strong at 99 years old. I’ve been fighting wars almost constantly - mostly defending East Francia where my daughter/best friend is Queen - and one of my veteran MAA event troops is down to just 3 guys. It’s been that way for a solid 5 years of war against Bavaria and Lotharingia, and I anxiously check they KDA after every battle. It’ll be a sad day when the last of them give out.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

wikipedia posted:

The Norman monk Dudo of Saint-Quentin was very critical of Hastein:

This was a man accursed: fierce, mightily cruel, and savage, pestilent, hostile, sombre, truculent, given to outrage, pestilent and untrustworthy, fickle and lawless. Death-dealing, uncouth, fertile in ruses, warmonger general, traitor, fomenter of evil, and double-dyeded dissimulator ... Dudo of St. Quentin's. Gesta Normannorum. Book 1. Chapter 3.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
not to mention pestilent

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He just get a copy of a Thesaurus or what

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This sounds like something this deep learning text generator might write, in fact:

Dudo posted:

This was a man accursed: fierce, mightily cruel, and savage, pestilent, hostile, sombre, truculent, given to outrage, pestilent and untrustworthy, fickle and lawless. Death-dealing, uncouth, fertile in ruses, warmonger general, traitor, fomenter of evil, and double-dyeded dissimulator, murderer, thief, drunkard of justice, and a middling and scoundrel, who despised his master, who, a moment ago, had sworn a vow of poverty, was seized on his wickedness, and committed the most awful of crimes, a wicked deed, and a traitor, and was made a slave of the emperor, and he was a filthy slave of the emperor.

Masturbations and Confucius were like that of a snake, in which a single sting can lead to blood, but every drop which can be left out of a man's body, is enough, and only can be purified by the sweat of his feet. And what a spectacle it was, when the Emperor of the East was about to bring forth three thousand slaves to perform his own will, and all of his servants, with their whole families, with every other community he might send up, took notice of this spectacle so very grievously as to take it upon themselves and, with great zeal and so full of passion, and so much malice, made themselves their master,

E: looks like deep AI wants the Alexiad start as well

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sekenr posted:

This sounds like something this deep learning text generator might write, in fact:

E: looks like deep AI wants the Alexiad start as well

I guess the deep AI read Blood in the Bosphorus :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Made myself King of Ireland and seeded my kids all over the island.

Now what? There's no way to expand militarily to Scotland or England. Do I just keep marrying people into royal families until I get lucky somewhere down the line?