Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Evil Fluffy posted:

Got back to this and started chapter 5. I'm just running around doing some sidequests first and leveling a few of the jobs I got, most notably Fell blade, because damage cap removal and I'm not sure if I've seen a good place to just power level jobs. Someone mentioned Baba Yaga but she's only about 5-600jp and the time it takes to killer here and make her repop you can kill that rare fairy mob in the first area several times for more total JP. On the upside I ran into two more rare mobs and since the thief special can always steal something I procced the rare steal 2x in a single fight and got 5 sensei belts, which are 10atk and 20crit and putting those on two heavy hitters is just goddamn ridiculous.

Baba Yaga is great because she only attacks with lightning and either charm or confusion (I forget which one). She's pretty trivial to become immune to, and then you can kill her without any fear whatsoever.

The mob with the rare steal you mentioned actually has a different, and much better, drop (ribbons, which block most status effects, have high magic defense, and only weigh 2). There's also a mob with a legendary sword for stealing and a mob with a really strong staff for stealing in the same area.

Edit: Though honestly, you're pretty close to unlocking a much better way to grind JP. If you progress the story a bit, you'll get a popup and unlock some difficult fights that reward not only great JP, but also giant JP orbs worth 3,000 JP each before JP up skills.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dirk the Average posted:

Baba Yaga is great because she only attacks with lightning and either charm or confusion (I forget which one). She's pretty trivial to become immune to, and then you can kill her without any fear whatsoever.

The mob with the rare steal you mentioned actually has a different, and much better, drop (ribbons, which block most status effects, have high magic defense, and only weigh 2). There's also a mob with a legendary sword for stealing and a mob with a really strong staff for stealing in the same area.

Yeah I know Baba Yaga's trick, she just takes awhile due to the HP. It's a shame they aren't worth more JP but chaining fights is probably going to remain the go to method of jp grinding, though with the caveat that the xp gain is terrible if you stick to the starting area.

I got the 2nd rare mob's steal as well but I didn't see the last mob or its item yet so I guess I missed a spot while running around.

I figured that the rare drop and rare steal items were different for some enemies so I guess I'll go back to those for a kill or two later because unless there's a way to cheese them my current party isn't going to make it happen at level 45.

e: I'll just progress then.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I've been replaying BD1 and (spoilers only because I know there's at least one or two people in this thread who never played the original) I forgot how terrible the Eternian forces are. Like they show Kamiizumi being upset at Qada for the whole "torturing and murdering 100,000 with chemical warfare" thing, but the most generous possible interpretation of that guy is that he's the biggest gently caress-up ever and wasn't even willing to remove the guy responsible for the war crimes from his position. Soon after it's also revealed that the Swordbearer forces literally use sacrificial child labor in mines + use them as body shields.

Same applies for Braev Lee. Regardless of his goals, dude is basically just releasing a bunch of death squads full of sociopaths to terrorize every other major nation.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are there more asterisks after Hellblade? Do the special boss fights in the portals or whatever give you new jobs or just unlock higher levels on the existing asterisks?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I tell how many enemies I captured for the beastmaster job, and how do I tell what their moves are? and for seriously, each monster is a 1 time use?? I don't get to LEARN white wind? the gently caress is this poo poo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do I tell how many enemies I captured for the beastmaster job, and how do I tell what their moves are? and for seriously, each monster is a 1 time use?? I don't get to LEARN white wind? the gently caress is this poo poo

OPen the off the leash menu in combat. And a passive for beast master lets you auto catch enemies you kill 1/3rd of a time and you don't really need to have them be more than one use because they're insanely good, especially with a level 12+ BST.

Seriously, a handful of the right mob will just poo poo on bosses completely.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 21, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are there more asterisks after Hellblade? Do the special boss fights in the portals or whatever give you new jobs or just unlock higher levels on the existing asterisks?

Continue the story. The boss fights in the portals only unlock higher levels for jobs. You might notice that one portal is conspicuously not active, and a few of the jobs don't have a corresponding fight yet.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The skeleton sellswords in particular are pretty ridiculous, having a low hit rate but dealing percentage-based damage that works on bosses, which is pretty nuts at that point in the game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OPen the off the leash menu in combat. And a passive for beast master lets you auto catch enemies you kill 1/3rd of a time and you don't really need to have them be more than one use because they're insanely good, especially with a level 12+ BST.

The real pro move for stockpiling captures that I've found becomes available in chapter 4 because Phantom's 2nd passive to guarantee success works on capture (but not steal, sadly). So you can just go into a fight and immediately capture enemies. I haven't tested to see if you can make capture work as an AOE but if you can then all bets are off.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

The real pro move for stockpiling captures that I've found becomes available in chapter 4 because Phantom's 2nd passive to guarantee success works on capture (but not steal, sadly). So you can just go into a fight and immediately capture enemies. I haven't tested to see if you can make capture work as an AOE but if you can then all bets are off.

You sure can with the Berserker passive that makes your auto attack hit everyone.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

You sure can with the Berserker passive that makes your auto attack hit everyone.

:sickos:

I only just got the method unlocked yesterday and that was going to be one of my first experiments.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo I hadn’t even thought of that, awesome. I haven’t caught monsters in a while, gotta get back into it...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dirk the Average posted:

Continue the story. The boss fights in the portals only unlock higher levels for jobs. You might notice that one portal is conspicuously not active, and a few of the jobs don't have a corresponding fight yet.

Should I be waiting to try these fights until after the end boss? I have also been putting off a lot of the unique monster fights which was probably a mistake since I know they have great steal items and rare drops. I wish I could save load outs so I didn’t have to spend a bunch of time redoing everything when I want to fight a tough enemy!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Should I be waiting to try these fights until after the end boss? I have also been putting off a lot of the unique monster fights which was probably a mistake since I know they have great steal items and rare drops. I wish I could save load outs so I didn’t have to spend a bunch of time redoing everything when I want to fight a tough enemy!

Definitely do the fights and the rare fights. As a heads up almost every enemy in the trials drops a really powerful weapon, unfortunately, it's their common drop, not the rare drop, and you can't steal it (the rare drop passive can actually decrease the odds of getting a weapon). You can steal some decently powerful equipment from them. Both the Ork King and the Cyclops rare enemies have rare drops that are different than their steals as well, with the Cyclops dropping a ribbon, so I'd definitely recommend killing him a few times. I waited to max out everyone until after finishing the final trial portal, as doing that makes killing the other portals much, much simpler. Definitely beat every trial at least once though, and don't be afraid to bow out of difficult trials until you've completed a different trial and expanded your toolkit a bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The skeleton sellswords in particular are pretty ridiculous, having a low hit rate but dealing percentage-based damage that works on bosses, which is pretty nuts at that point in the game.

Them and any bee enemy just lets you you bully bosses to death. So manny bosses just paralocked from 100% to death.

But also of course BST's releases are one use stuff, that's what the class has always been. BST and BLU were always separate design spaces.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Them and any bee enemy just lets you you bully bosses to death. So manny bosses just paralocked from 100% to death.

But also of course BST's releases are one use stuff, that's what the class has always been. BST and BLU were always separate design spaces.

Blue is arguably better, because it's forever learned rather than having to go farm some mobs, but having to learn it by being hit with it is pretty irritating in a different way.

Anyways, only able to check a general info about what monsters you've captured while you're in a battle is loving stupid

Having to check a spreadsheet that tells you what the move does is stupider
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Tg8OT4-OSF19wUKB-fR6QOmIBSJ1TAE_4Ye9YFDFd80/edit#gid=0

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 22, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jormungandr is pissing me off, somebody help me beat this guy before I throw my Switch in the garbage. He wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the four other enemies who are also annoying and fast!

Edit: my characters are lv 57-58, I am in ch 6, maybe I am just too weak?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Jormungandr is pissing me off, somebody help me beat this guy before I throw my Switch in the garbage. He wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the four other enemies who are also annoying and fast!

Have you unlocked level 15 jobs or the Bravebearer job? Most of my strategies revolve around having one or both of these.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hammer Bro. posted:

That is the wrong kind of crazy.

Instead you need to make sure that all characters have JP Up and JP Up and Up at all times and never stay in a class once they've maxed it that way sometimes boss fights are brutal because you have a party of 4 Gamblers instead of anything cohesive. But then when you get to the end of the game you won't have any grinding to do and also you'll probably beat it before that point, thus never using any of the cool character combinations.

This is basically what I've been doing, except I give boss fights five or ten tries and if I can't defeat them with everyone alive, i just say gently caress it and turn two of my characters into Beastmaster / Thief and Godspeed Strike the bosses into the shadow realm

I just got to the Vanguard/White/Red/Ranger asterisk refight and laughed as they pummeled my strongest characters with spells that did 5-10 damage.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Jormungandr is pissing me off, somebody help me beat this guy before I throw my Switch in the garbage. He wouldnt be so bad if it werent for the four other enemies who are also annoying and fast!

I had to use the aforementioned strategy to defeat that fucker. I think when it comes to certain bosses, the game just expects you to abuse the game mechanics to win.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 22, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I just beat the Thief and Berserker bosses and holy poo poo these bosses are kicking my rear end the first go around. At this point I'm just gonna assume the first attempt at any given boss is going to be a scouting attempt. Granted I was very underlevelled for the first boss (The enemies before the boss room had the red effect). Really enjoying it so far.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That encounter is nearly impossible to do "fairly" at the point you get the quest. You can either cheese with one of the broken strats or come back later.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Off the Chain attacks are obscenely powerful enough as it is and the second beastmaster passive basically makes your characters gods that become more godlike with every monster you catch, if captures came with unlimited use there would literally be no reason to use any other job.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's Beastmaster, not Blue Mage.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in the main chapter 5 dungeon and my main advice is to stop trying to grind jobs in this dungeon and just equip all your broken combos now these bosses are assholes and don’t give that much JP

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
So, been working on this game for a while, I'm level 57-58 or so and just entered Chapter 5 (About 3-4 hours of my total playtime can be attributed to murdering that one fairy in Halcyonia after spamming the Gambler level 12 skill until I get a JP bonus, which has also as a side effect occasionally spat out XP x15 responses to keep me comfortably overlevelled), should I just pause for a bit to get Hellblade mastered on my primary damage dealers and otherwise consolidate a bit, or should I just go YOLO and just charge in?

For what it's worth, here's the mastered jobs I've got on everyone.

Seth: Freelancer, Vanguard, Monk, Beastmaster, Bard, Thief, Ranger, Swordmaster, Phantom--mostly focuses on abusing Godspeed Strike and elemental advantages to bump off 2/3rds of a boss's health in a single 3 BP Brave)
Gloria: Freelancer, Black Mage, White Mage, Beastmaster, Gambler, Red Mage, Pictomancer, Spiritmaster--mostly my healer, with a few dips here and there for utility, probably is going to get some JP orbs to help her catch up a bit because now that I list it out she doesn't seem to have as many as Seth
Elvis: Freelancer, Black Mage, White Mage, Bard, Beastmaster, Gambler, Red Mage, Oracle--Also fallen behind on numbers a bit maybe, but primarily my offensive caster, I know I plan on working on Arcanist next--though it looks not so great looking at the descriptions?
Adelle: Freelancer, Vanguard, Beastmaster, Thief, Berserker, Shieldmaster, Dragoon, Bastion--my brute force/tank type character who works alternately on damage mitigation and clearing encounters quickly through abuse of Level Slash

Any particular holes I should close in my next grinding session in light of all this? Or synergies I can exploit while I start ramping up for the endgame?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I beat it at 58. Have someone with Phantom level 12 with a sub job of Salve-Maker. Use compound to constantly charm bombs and paralyze bombs. Since the bombs are guaranteed by the phantom ability it becomes a trivial slog.

The enemies rarely use physical attacks so they'll keep smacking each other around as you slowly whittle their hp away. Took several hours however so... yeah.

Fun fact, this tactic also trivializes almost all of the second round fighters with the asterisk bearers.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Turns out, maxing all your jobs has a side effect of drastically outlevelling you: I'm level 61 at the start of chapter 4, and I'm just steamrolling everything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Managed to kill Cyclops and got their rare drop last night. :toot:

Purebringer is the dumbest goddamn ability in the game. Why the hell is there a 'buff' spirit that exists to wipe out positive buffs on your own party? The only reason for Purebringer to exist is to make the 2nd passive a double-edged sword because who the hell is going to manually summon the thing when it doesn't seem to hit enemy buffs. :psyduck:

So many unnecessary deaths due to having my damage shields immediately dispelled by Purebringer and then a party member eating multiple 3-4k dmg hits.

Kyrosiris posted:

This wasn't working when I tried it yesterday. Capture remained single target.

..it also seems like captures don't get affected by damage cap removal passives?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m in the main chapter 5 dungeon and my main advice is to stop trying to grind jobs in this dungeon and just equip all your broken combos now these bosses are assholes and don’t give that much JP

The first one I fought liked to just go ragemode and drop 4x 5k dmg aoes on the party if they got under half health so Seth and Gloria went full DPS mode and dropped godspeed strikes on them with the force of a nuclear bombardment. The time for playing nice ended and I just went full on deletion mode for the rest of the fights.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 22, 2021

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Managed to kill Cyclops and got their rare drop last night. :toot:

Purebringer is the dumbest goddamn ability in the game. Why the hell is there a 'buff' spirit that exists to wipe out positive buffs on your own party? The only reason for Purebringer to exist is to make the 2nd passive a double-edged sword because who the hell is going to manually summon the thing when it doesn't seem to hit enemy buffs. :psyduck:

So many unnecessary deaths due to having my damage shields immediately dispelled by Purebringer and then a party member eating multiple 3-4k dmg hits.

Yeah I had to stop using that class as a main because of this very thing. I also found out it did that the hard way.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Evil Fluffy posted:

This wasn't working when I tried it yesterday. Capture remained single target.

Given that (job name) Phantom and its second specialty were mentioned I assumed we meant "killing things and having Beast Whisperer proc". :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kyrosiris posted:

Given that (job name) Phantom and its second specialty were mentioned I assumed we meant "killing things and having Beast Whisperer proc". :v:

Yeah, there's pretty much no reason to use Capture with this setup, unless you still want the character you designate for this to still level up other jobs.
I guess there's the drawback that it drains your MP pretty quick and I haven't noticed an ability that automatically tops off MP for you between battles, but by the time you're at this point buying 99 ethers shouldn't be an issue so you can just refresh them when they are running low.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 22, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

raditts posted:

Yeah, there's pretty much no reason to use Capture with this setup, unless you still want the character you designate for this to still level up other jobs.
I guess there's the drawback that it drains your MP pretty quick and I haven't noticed an ability that automatically tops off MP for you between battles, but by the time you're at this point buying 99 ethers shouldn't be an issue so you can just refresh them when they are running low.

Technically if you can kill with your basic !Attack command, Aspir Attack gets you there.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
After maxing out every job I'm most interested in some combination of Vanguard, Thief, Freelancer, and Salve-Maker. Usually with Freelancer as the main.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which ice dungeon has the chest you can infinitely farm JP orbs from, and which chest?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, Gladys :swoon:

Edit: oh...Martha...:kimchi:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 23, 2021

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Has anyone found any armor that's better than the Dark Robes you can get off of the horse rare in salvalon, or should I just head back there and steal a couple more off of it?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also god drat Godspeed Strike is just totally stupid. I can chump any boss by Braving 4x with Adelle and using the rest of the party to Ether and keep her alive for the next 4.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some of these BD1 fights are tough (just did the Temple of Fire monster, which was really tough and would almost party wipe with its strongest attack even though I'm pretty sure I'm over-leveled and had everyone with defense buffed and defaulting), though I think I remember getting overpowered later once I unlocked a lot of key abilities.

I like how buffing/debuffing feels a lot "easier" in BD1 (particularly with Pirate); in BD2 the calculus is often harder because it's difficult to tell if the trade-off of using multiple BP to get a buff/debuff for 3-4 turns is worth it.

Doing BD1 again has sort of emphasized how "disjointed" BD2 feels. Like each individual chapter of BD2 is reasonably interesting on its own, but it doesn't really seem to tie into an overarching narrative well and it feels like you just abruptly transition from plot point to plot point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just got that scene in chapter 3. I take back everything bad I’ve ever said about this game, it was all worth it just for that. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Pollyanna posted:

I just got that scene in chapter 3. I take back everything bad I’ve ever said about this game, it was all worth it just for that. :allears:

All of ch 3 is bonkers, you’re going to have to be more specific.