Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Is it weird to be relieved that at least it was consensual sex with a 22 year old rather than basically everything else it could have been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

actually in the very very early days didnt the gamegrumps literally call their fans 'cumsluts'

It was cum-(f-slur), yeah. That was a jontron joke though

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gonzo McFee posted:

Is it weird to be relieved that at least it was consensual sex with a 22 year old rather than basically everything else it could have been?

Grooming the 22 year old since they were 17 is still really bad

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i dont think we need to get into tiering grooming in here imo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

S-tier: Jerry Lee Lewis

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Violen posted:

i dont think we need to get into tiering grooming in here imo

You really just need to consider match ups

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s weird to see a genuine accusation mixed in among posts complaining about how Game Grumps isn’t as good as it was and about how they make too much money from merchandise, and all the replies talk about this like it’s another complaint about how they’re not funny any more.

It’s like the posters don’t understand the gravity of what they’re posting about and are treating it as another thing to complain about because they don’t like game grumps vs something genuinely bad.

Because they're parasocial vultures, and they don't.

Dan was one of my favorite YouTube guys, so this really sucks. I mean, at least he waited, but that's still really, really loving weird.

At the same time, the issue with Dan reflects a larger issue with rock musicians in general. I don't know if this has been forgotten over time, but sleeping with young fans isn't just considered acceptable in that profession, its considered one of the perks of the job. Every famous rock musician you know, even David Bowie, has done this poo poo, and the ones who haven't are the exceptions to the rule, not the standard. It sucks.

I don't think Arin and Company set out to make a kids show. I think Game Grumps was originally aimed at college students/adults. But a few years in, they figured out that was one of their bigger demographics was kids, and to be fair, they did try to adjust their content to fit this demographic. Arin's a weird man-child though, so there might be something I'm missing.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 22, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Testekill posted:

We had the same problem last year in wrestling where it seemed like half of the UK scene were nonces or abusers.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the House of Lords?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Grooming the 22 year old since they were 17 is still really bad

Help me out here, I assumed grooming was something very specific and I don't at all see how it applies in like 99% of the conversations I see it come up in, including this one.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Nuns with Guns posted:

What happened now? People laughed at how it looked bad and had a new intro song by Lin-Manuel Miranda years ago, did a lot of people suddenly just notice that?

Pretty much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

S-tier: Jerry Lee Lewis

A-Tier Chuck Berry?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

jackofarcades posted:

Help me out here, I assumed grooming was something very specific and I don't at all see how it applies in like 99% of the conversations I see it come up in, including this one.

Grooming is just preparing someone for sex when it’s more legal. It’s basically a to cover yourself as posters in this thread shows how it works as they are buying into it completely

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The first text was sent literally a month before she turned 18. Like, I'm all for not loving your fans and the age gap is creepy but there comes a point where adults make their own decisions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For some reason this got ProJared's name trending for reasons, mostly so his fans can breathlessly defend the fact the bird man is just a standard garbage human. There was a very sad list of horrible YouTube gaming people with like Cryaotic and CallMeCarson who still have careers because nobody is ever 'canceled.'

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's sleazy as gently caress but it's only really grooming if you're trying to push someone who's underage into sex. Over 18 it's just regular sleazy behaviour.

I mean c'mon dude you're in your 40's.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Garrand posted:

The first text was sent literally a month before she turned 18. Like, I'm all for not loving your fans and the age gap is creepy but there comes a point where adults make their own decisions.

texting a teenage fan with the very obvious intent of eventually having sex with them, when you're 42, is weird. and you can tell the intent was to eventually have sex with her cause he ghosted her as soon as he got what he wanted. if she was just someone he happened to know and they eventually started a sexual relationship why would he suddenly vanish into the ether? but if the 'goal has been achieved' it makes sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like heres a good barometer: if you knew your college-aged daughter just had sex with and then got ghosted by a famous 40-year-old youtube man who shed been texting since she was 17, how would you feel. i have the vague suspicion your reaction might not be 'well, adults can make their own choices.'

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
If two legal adults want to have a casual hookup then I fail to see what the problem is. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Like “gaslighting” before it, “grooming” has taken on a strange valence on twitter and probably elsewhere where it is used to describe anything with some degree of family resemblance to something that has specific definitional elements. Something like “callous manipulation” or “exploitative behavior” would be more accurate and also extremely serious and bad. It’s not like you’re excusing or minimizing behavior to say that it doesn’t describe one particular thing that’s largely important because it’s part of the context of child rape and something for bystanders to learn to recognize so they can disrupt it.

It’s like people are drawn to it because they erroneously believe it is a stronger accusation, and stronger is better to them for whatever reason.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's sleazy as gently caress but it's only really grooming if you're trying to push someone who's underage into sex. Over 18 it's just regular sleazy behaviour.

I mean c'mon dude you're in your 40's.

That’s not really grooming grooming is preparing someone for sex eventually. Whether they end up over the AOC at some point during the process doesn’t change that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

If two legal adults want to have a casual hookup then I fail to see what the problem is. Maybe I'm missing something here.

1) she was not a legal adult when they met and he was over twice her age.
2) theyd been talking for years but he literally stopped talking to her as soon as they had sex

if you put these together, its extremely loving creepy. not a literal crime or literal pedophilia, but extremely loving creepy. something can be creepy as poo poo without being illegal. there's a weird thing when these accusations come up where people try and finangle together whether or not a literal crime was committed and if it wasnt then everything's okay. but no. everything is very much not okay.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

42?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Like “gaslighting” before it, “grooming” has taken on a strange valence on twitter and probably elsewhere where it is used to describe anything with some degree of family resemblance to something that has specific definitional elements. Something like “callous manipulation” or “exploitative behavior” would be more accurate and also extremely serious and bad. It’s not like you’re excusing or minimizing behavior to say that it doesn’t describe one particular thing that’s largely important because it’s part of the context of child rape and something for bystanders to learn to recognize so they can disrupt it.

It’s like people are drawn to it because they erroneously believe it is a stronger accusation, and stronger is better to them for whatever reason.

This is funny as it’s pretty obvious you have no idea what the term means either but I think that’s your gimmick a lot of words that mean nothing?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
nobody is saying your favorite video game man needs to be sent to jail you weirdos they're saying he did something super creepy and probably shouldn't be involved in a youtube channel for children anymore

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Texting someone for five years on the off chance they'll gently caress you is really pathetic behavior. Like, you don't need to get into terms best reserved for cases of paedophilia to find this all really sad and pathetic and lose respect for the guy who tells dick jokes over Mario for a living.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and also people talking in serious tones like 'does this WARRANT cancellation...' is really funny cause this dude could have literally actually hosed a child and thered be two weeks of hushed tweets about it and hed lose a few thousand subs and then hed go right back to his job like nothing happened, like every other time a youtuber got 'cancelled' in the past 4 years

jontron should have just waited a couple years to bust out the race science

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

what he did is literally grooming lmfao what is going on in here. he built a rapport with this girl over months or a year in order to make her comfortable enough for him to extract sex from her the second she turned 18, and then loving ghosted

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

and also people talking in serious tones like 'does this WARRANT cancellation...' is really funny cause this dude could have literally actually hosed a child and thered be two weeks of hushed tweets about it and hed lose a few thousand subs and then hed go right back to his job like nothing happened, like every other time a youtuber got 'cancelled' in the past 4 years

jontron should have just waited a couple years to bust out the race science

It's this. This is what's going to happen.

I mean, I think even JonTron still has a career.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

There is a power imbalance between a man in his late 30s/early 40s and young woman in her late teens/early 20s. There is a power imbalance between a famous person and one of that person's fans. It is inappropriate for a 40 year old rock star to sexually pursue one of his young fans. The fact that he had known her since she was 17 makes it even creepier in my opinion.

All of this is independent of whether or not this fits the definition of "grooming," which I have no input on other than to say that it strikes me as a matter of semantics more than anything.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not really grooming grooming is preparing someone for sex eventually. Whether they end up over the AOC at some point during the process doesn’t change that

You're getting really broad with a term that has very specific meaning to the point where it can be applied to literally anyone trying to have sex.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Texting someone for five years on the off chance they'll gently caress you is really pathetic behavior. Like, you don't need to get into terms best reserved for cases of paedophilia to find this all really sad and pathetic and lose respect for the guy who tells dick jokes over Mario for a living.

Basically this; people are talking about him 'grooming' a fan like he was messaging an underage fan and just waiting for her to turn legal in order to bang her when that's not what happened.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I thought they had briefly chatted when she was 17, and then later when she was in her early 20s they reconnected, had sex, and he dropped her like a rock?

It’s not a good look regardless. Early 20s is still a weird time in your life, and that makes for relationship that’s pretty prone to abuse when the other person is twice your age AND a celebrity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ariong posted:

There is a power imbalance between a man in his late 30s/early 40s and young woman in her late teens/early 20s. There is a power imbalance between a famous person and one of that person's fans. It is inappropriate for a 40 year old rock star to sexually pursue one of his young fans. The fact that he had known her since she was 17 makes it even creepier in my opinion.

All of this is independent of whether or not this fits the definition of "grooming," which I have no input on other than to say that it strikes me as a matter of semantics more than anything.

It’s not at all the most salient part of this discussion, but the value of preserving a more specific understanding of grooming as a class of behaviors is that it’s good if people are able to recognize them when they see them in their own lives. There is some value in thinking about how the boundaries can be expanded by looking at mass media, like how Dan Schneider seeded sex jokes into his kids’ shows as part of what was almost certainly sexual exploitation of the children on the show, but surely I’m mostly blowing off steam about how people game the twitter attention economy by posting all this here.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

You're getting really broad with a term that has very specific meaning to the point where it can be applied to literally anyone trying to have sex.

I have a very specific definition that can absolutely apply to anyone who builds up a relationship with a kid to gently caress them yes.

Unless you only have sex with kids your friends with that wouldn’t apply to most I would think.

I

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Garrand posted:

Basically this; people are talking about him 'grooming' a fan like he was messaging an underage fan and just waiting for her to turn legal in order to bang her when that's not what happened.

That’s literally what happened

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have a very specific definition that can absolutely apply to anyone who builds up a relationship with a kid to gently caress them yes.

Unless you only have sex with kids your friends with that wouldn’t apply to most I would think.

I

She's a 22 year old adult woman, dude.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What’s your point?

All I’m getting is people have no idea what grooming is but a very strong feeling to defend internet daddy

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ariong posted:

"Power imbalance" really only applies if one person is the other's boss/supervisor or is somehow threatening or coercing them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
somebody link to a youtube video of a young white woman who isn't currently but will soon be a member of the alt-right where she defines what grooming is. that is the only way this thread processes information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

What’s your point?

All I’m getting is people have no idea what grooming is but a very strong feeling to defend internet daddy

You have no clue what grooming is.