Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Personally I'd say it's about 24-25 before you can comfortably stop giving a poo poo about the age difference in a relationship between two people. The early twenties are a developmental time for still doing dumb poo poo and learning how to be a functional independent adult.
I chose 21 because alcohol access is a key factor in grooming. I have seen it first hand.
e; gently caress sniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

this is serial experiments lain, not one piece

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's between https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUW2hRQkegM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3gI-E_vqVA for me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/1373754145497350146

I saw it as a screen shot and thought it was a joke, but no he actually just tweeted this :shepicide:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

this is serial experiments lain, not one piece

yeah its better

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

not it's duvet by boa what are you talking about

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o84y-5-cO0

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

btw best one piece OP is crazy rainbow

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BFC posted:

I chose 21 because alcohol access is a key factor in grooming. I have seen it first hand.

The old rule/guideline I've heard is "half your age plus 7 is the border into creep town"

Which, uh, yeah this fails that particular test.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

:tif:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pHQuCezmLE

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Alacron posted:

The old rule/guideline I've heard is "half your age plus 7 is the border into creep town"

Which, uh, yeah this fails that particular test.
21 year olds shouldn't be propositioning sex from 17 year olds imo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Here's a good thread with breakdowns about how Dan acts without the stink of GrumpRants on it, if it helps folks.

https://twitter.com/duskspook/status/1373759396212264963

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BFC posted:

I'd be careful there, Romeo and Juliet laws exist and they're not there for "ephebophiles" to get their kicks safely.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I always thought this op was pretty underrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU6AZA810FA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dias posted:

I'd be careful there, Romeo and Juliet laws exist and they're not there for "ephebophiles" to get their kicks safely.

I don't think anyone's saying it should literally be illegal to have an age gap but yea I kinda think it's weird if you're old enough to be out of college to be dropping your partner off at fuckin high school, that's a weird dynamic even if it may not be literally a crime.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BFC posted:

Well yeah, you round up so it'd be eighteen :downs:

Sorry if this came off as creepy, I'm making bad jokes to try and cope with my favorite dick joke maker being a creep.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

sexpig by night posted:

I don't think anyone's saying it should literally be illegal to have an age gap but yea I kinda think it's weird if you're old enough to be out of college to be dropping your partner off at fuckin high school, that's a weird dynamic even if it may not be literally a crime.

17 and 21 are college ages in Brazil, plus give it a few months and it's usually 18 and 21, which to me sounds completely a-okay so I'unno, bigger fish to fry, especially when the laws are in place because PoC got hosed over that way too often.

edit: mind you, I actually didn't date much during college because I was like 16 when I got in and I thought it was really weird dating people still in high school so I get that part. Just...be careful when you're closer to that side of the spectrum, I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Once everybody involved are all adults then loving whatever. But there's a reason why an 18 year old having sex with a 14 year old is a criminal offense that can land you in jail, but a 28 year old dating a 24 year old won't even draw an raised eyebrow. People undergo a huge amount of mental development in their teens, and not in a "you get older and learn more" way, but in a "physical parts of your brain that literally did not function a year ago are functioning now." It's not right, it's never right, and being a funny guy on the internet does not justify it.

If a 42 year old and a 22 year old meet up, hit it off, and decide they want to gently caress, then honestly good for them and gently caress you for judging. If a legal adult of any age engages in sexually explicit interactions with somebody who is underage, the adult in the equation is a loving creep even if they wait until the other party is of age to engage in sexual activity. I don't see how this is hard.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Dias posted:

there's a very big difference from being in a pre-existing relationship with someone 4 years younger than you that started when you were underaged and seeking out 17 year olds when you're 21. (speaking strictly from USA perspective I completely understand if the age line is fungible by a year in other countries)

Gwen fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 22, 2021

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mushishi was really good and I need to go rewatch it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BFC posted:

there's a very big difference from being in a pre-existing relationship with someone 4 years younger than you that started when you were underaged and seeking out 17 year olds when you're 21.

I think that would actually be worse in the former scenario, you get 18 and 14 and they're both in school.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

in my experience high school seniors dated freshman and I guess you can find that strange but eh it happens.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BFC posted:

in my experience high school seniors dated freshman and I guess you can find that strange but eh it happens.

In my experience people date in college and they're 17 and 21 so you get what I mean about being careful, right? It's fine to not want to do it or feel uncomfortable, just there's a history there we gotta keep in mind in these discussions.

Also, like, there's some other factors to take into consideration, Brazil has a drinking age of 18 and it's barely enforced so alcohol access is less of a factor when it comes to grooming, for instance.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I getcha message received

it's really more the access to alcohol that's my problem specifically with the age and it's strictly a USA thing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
every single high schooler in the world thought that the high school seniors banging freshmen were creepazoids tho

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

BFC posted:

I getcha message received

it's really more the access to alcohol that's my problem specifically with the age and it's strictly a USA thing

Yeah, yeah, to be fair that's an important factor too, so when you get closer to the legal age gap you start running into actual nuance, unlike a 42 year-old dude engaging underaged fans and eventually getting a hookup out of it.

edit: it's even more hosed up because I'm a teacher in my late 20s and there's no way I'd date a student even after they turned 21, 22 because poo poo, I knew them when they were teens. It's a weird-rear end dynamic even if it's not illegal, and if you make it a pattern, that's even worse.

Dias fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 22, 2021

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Impermanent posted:

every single high schooler in the world thought that the high school seniors banging freshmen were creepazoids tho
looks like someone's never been to Florida

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I live in the UK where the age of Consent is 16 and I think this is all gross as poo poo. The legality of the ages involved is missing the point that this person has a clear pattern of contacting young fans, building a rapport over several years then loving them before breaking off all contact. I don't want that dude front and centre on a youtube channel targeted at teens!

Like if a 22 year old meets a 42 year old and they instantly fall in love and have have consensual sex sure who cares but that's not what's being accused here.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I agree I just got challenged specifically on the age specifics of my own personal criteria of where the line is but it doesn't change the evidence that dan is a sex pest grooming piece of poo poo

e; actually no I don't care about the ghosting element. the one-night stand element is the opposite of important here. stop bringing up something that is, at worst, a dick move next to loving grooming.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 22, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember some general tweets and remarks from female video critics to the effect of “you wouldn’t believe how important it is to keep receipts on everyone you meet in this line of work.” I’ve only recently begun to have context that observation and the kind of hosed-up poo poo that must happen given what becomes public.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I remember some general tweets and remarks from female video critics to the effect of you wouldnt believe how important it is to keep receipts on everyone you meet in this line of work. Ive only recently begun to have context that observation and the kind of hosed-up poo poo that must happen given what becomes public.

Unfortunately that seems like a thing women and other minorities have to keep in mind in basically every single industry. If you work in a field that has a lot of rotativity and "big names" you'll eventually hear stories about X or Y being a piece of poo poo and as a worker you're usually only able to give other people warnings.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
What the gently caress happened in this thread while I wasn't looking?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

talkin about anime OPs and grooming

probably not the first time the two have gone together

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/1373754145497350146

I saw it as a screen shot and thought it was a joke, but no he actually just tweeted this :shepicide:

Holy poo poo, gently caress off JonTron.

I am really bummed out about this. I hadn't heard about the prior accusations before, so hearing about all of this now has been a real gut punch

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

You can always read it, y'know. TLDR is Dan from Game Grumps is a sex pest.

haha danny sexpest

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

sexpig by night posted:

Here's a good thread with breakdowns about how Dan acts without the stink of GrumpRants on it, if it helps folks.

https://twitter.com/duskspook/status/1373759396212264963

fitting

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I always thought this op was pretty underrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU6AZA810FA

I've always enjoyed Share the World, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_5E1wBsVk&hd=1

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Because there haven't been enough lovely opinions posted, here's mine: a lot of people's defense of what the guy does and did tends to focus on the fact that "he's just being nice to his fans" and "she wasn't a minor when they had sex!" but like. Even if we shove aside the power imbalance and stuff - not a single guy has come forward saying something like "Yeah when I was like sixteen this guy took me out on a rad dinner date and we had a cool day together" or anything. He's not just being a cool dude to his fans He's specifically targeting young, just slightly underaged girls who idolize him, befriending them and taking them out on (non-sexual) dates before coming back a few years later to gently caress them. That's real creepy and hosed up. If he wasn't a super famous youtuber and was, instead, a teacher or something people would be out for blood calling him a predator instead of making every excuse in the book to do it. Instead of, you know, trying to weasel in an accusation of it all being fake because it was posted on a lovely subreddit when the number of places to post that poo poo are fairly limited.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Friend of the Grumps and occasional guest Thomas Middletitch also got outed today as a groper. I don't think it means anything, but it's just a tragic, infuriating coincidence.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

What's the German word for clout that only buys you a timeline full of boogers yelling at you for existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dias posted:

You can always read it, y'know. TLDR is Dan from Game Grumps is a sex pest.

haha danny sexpest

I did read it, jackass. That was a rhetorical question because of how loving stupid arguing about whether or not something is technically grooming is.

e- and nobody needs to be loving speculating on the exact age range when this kind of relationship is exploitative and creepy or tut-tutting about Romeo and Juliet laws around this loving poo poo either.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 22, 2021