Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endless Mike posted:

It's an anime so they have to read it to keep up the gimmick

It's not an anime, it's a western comic adaptation of a live-action series. The have been two Ultraman anime, The Ultraman and the recent Ultraman, but the comic isn't drawing on either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endless Mike posted:

It's an anime so they have to read it to keep up the gimmick

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Comics Pro Tip: If you like a property that is getting a licensed comic probably 9/10 times the comic will disappoint you. They can't all be IDW's Ninja Turtles or Ghostbusters.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

X-O posted:

Comics Pro Tip: If you like a property that is getting a licensed comic probably 9/10 times the comic will disappoint you. They can't all be IDW's Ninja Turtles or Ghostbusters.

Gold tip. In most cases I expect to be disappointed, then occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Notable exception being the upcoming Magic: the Gathering book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Hmm. Shameless self promotion. I'll allow it. And endorse it. Even though it's the title of yours I'll be skipping out on. No offense, just not my jam.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I really like Marneus Calgar. That opinion is not shared by many of the internet 40k fans.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

X-O posted:

Comics Pro Tip: If you like a property that is getting a licensed comic probably 9/10 times the comic will disappoint you. They can't all be IDW's Ninja Turtles or Ghostbusters Transformers.

:colbert:

Beerdeer posted:

I really like Marneus Calgar. That opinion is not shared by many of the internet 40k fans.

you can't please some people. maybe they wanted something like Astartes or an Abnett novel, when it's more like Ciaphas Cain and Turn Signals on a Land Raider

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Why, is it written by some kind of cool handsome guy or something?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no, just vulpes

heyooooo

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Why, is it written by some kind of cool handsome guy or something?

I didn't realize that they were putting my mom's pull quote out there already!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It does star cool handsome queer guy Ral Zarek tho, if I remember what Vulpes said before

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

You are lucky you are a good comic book writer lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Beerdeer posted:

Marneus Calgar wasn't really for 40k fans, it was clearly more of an introduction to the universe for new readers. I thought it was a decent introduction and set a good tone for Marvel 40k going forward. But I do hope they get deeper into the universe going forward.

Give us a Lucius the Eternal ongoing series, Marvel!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey Vulpes I know Reptil is getting his own book but any chance you can pitch Marvel Two-In-One: Spider-Man & Reptil because I need more of that team up.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I don't know why they haven't been teamed up before, it was kind of a gimme.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Hey Vulpes I know Reptil is getting his own book but any chance you can pitch Marvel Two-In-One: Spider-Man & Reptil because I need more of that team up.

Reptil is getting his own book? Wow I haven't seen him in poo poo since Avengers Academy got canned.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I don't think teen superheroes should be teaming up with disgraced former doctor/disgraced former CEO/son-in-law of the former mayor of New York/devil bargain partner Peter Parker. He is not a good role model.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Peter Parker is like a cool youth group guy who opens up a Christian coffee shop that plays Christian ska all the time, I think there should be a 12-part maxi-series where he teaches teen heroes about ska.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

peter please for the love of god I can't listen to another Five Iron Frenzy album it's not bad i just cant do it anymore

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The scene from Spider-Man 3 but he's skanking.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

thwip it up thwip it up thwip it up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How Wonderful! posted:

Peter Parker is like a cool youth group guy who opens up a Christian coffee shop that plays Christian ska all the time, I think there should be a 12-part maxi-series where he teaches teen heroes about ska.

That's really more of a Rick Jones thing, and I fully endorse it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know Marvel has a bunch of heroes that get big. Giant-Man, Goliath, Stature. But they seem like they're always on teams. Have any of them every gotten their own series about getting big to stop crime?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

I know Marvel has a bunch of heroes that get big. Giant-Man, Goliath, Stature. But they seem like they're always on teams. Have any of them every gotten their own series about getting big to stop crime?

No, they only get solo series when they turn small.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Leah Williams did a mini-series around the time of War of the Realms about four Giant-Men stomping around. it was pretty funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

No, they only get solo series when they turn small.

That's weird.

How Wonderful! posted:

Leah Williams did a mini-series around the time of War of the Realms about four Giant-Men stomping around. it was pretty funny.

A three issue comedy event tie-in, and that's all they got for this entire genre of hero that's been around since the very beginning.

You gotta admit, that's weird. Something is amiss here. What is Marvel up to?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nobody cares about big heroes. That's why they are limited to teams and stuff. Big villains are fine but people like small heroes fighting big villains. Big heroes are good in, no pun intended, small doses.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Not anything big.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

That's weird.

A three issue comedy event tie-in, and that's all they got for this entire genre of hero that's been around since the very beginning.

There's been a bunch of Ant-Man comics, plus I think he starred in Tales to Astonish for a long time, but it was only when they mostly shrank, not grew big.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

Nobody cares about big heroes. That's why they are limited to teams and stuff. Big villains are fine but people like small heroes fighting big villains. Big heroes are good in, no pun intended, small doses.

The solution is obvious: bigger villains.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

That might be the assumption Marvel is operating under, but I don't see any evidence for it. It's not like they tried to give Giant-Man and Goliath and Stature their own series and they all flopped. They didn't give them their own series at all. Even with this new Ultraman series, it's six issues now and Ultraman has only gotten big to fight a monster twice. And it's loving Ultraman!

Something is going on here. There's something to this, but I can't figure out what.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I dunno, seems like there isn't much you can do story wise with someone who just gets big.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno, seems like there isn't much you can do story wise with someone who just gets big.

Bingo. Great for action scenes but most comics are a lot more than action scene. Can't do a lot of things with a big hero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Laughing to myself imagining a Bigman comic where instead of doing detective work the hero just gets really tall and looks around until he spots the villain.

The Joker is in the abandoned warehouse and he dares you to come and get him, Bigman! *picks up entire warehouse and takes it to jail*

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Bingo. Great for action scenes but most comics are a lot more than action scene. Can't do a lot of things with a big hero.

Then why would they agree to do an Ultraman series? Was it a purely cynical movie to get a few bucks from name recognition before the comic inevitably fails in a couple years because they do all the things you can do with a big hero? Is that why they're so gunshy about having Ultraman get big in the series itself, because they want to string it along for as long as they can before they run out of big things? Are they simply unaware of the fact that Ultraman has been running for decades in Japan and there are hundreds of episodes about dozens of characters who get big?

Actually that last one would explain a lot about the Ultraman comic.

But no, I don't buy it. Obviously that is not a satisfactory answer, obviously there is tons of stuff you can do with a character who can get big. Hell, the Hulk just gets strong, and look how much they've milked that premise!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

? Was it a purely cynical movie to get a few bucks from name recognition

Got it in one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I see two possible explanations.

The more charitable one is that they believe as you do that nobody wants a series about a hero who gets big. That is obviously unsupported by anything, because they haven't tried it. So maybe it's just an old prejudice from some old executive, like maybe Stan Lee thought nobody wanted a series about a guy who gets big, and that just became part of Marvel common sense. Or maybe it's like how up until recently toy companies didn't do toys of female characters because one focus group of like ten kids in the 80s showed that boys didn't want to buy toys of female characters.

The other explanation is that they don't want to give comic book readers a series about a hero who gets big.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Plus a big hero would have to have an entire rogues gallery of big villains and holy poo poo would that get boring after a couple. Because Giant-Man vs Vulture lasts what? Two minutes tops?

The closest thing Marvel has done to really trying to push that kind of story is giving Kei Kewade an event and then a spinoff series but that flopped hard. Nobody cared about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

X-O posted:

Plus a big hero would have to have an entire rogues gallery of big villains and holy poo poo would that get boring after a couple. Because Giant-Man vs Vulture lasts what? Two minutes tops?

The closest thing Marvel has done to really trying to push that kind of story is giving Kei Kewade an event and then a spinoff series but that flopped hard. Nobody cared about it.

Does the Hulk have a rogues gallery made up only of strong villains? Does the Hulk never fight other hero's villains because he could just immediately kill them with a single punch?