Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HUSTLE gave us a young Taichi dicking about with his grumpy father Kawada which was great, plus I vaguely remember Kana (now Asuka) having some good matches there, although that may have been in Tajiri's follow up promotion SMASH. Unfortunately Japan is still pretty bad about that sort of thing, Exhibit A being that Danshoku Dino still somehow has a job with his gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember like almost fifteen years ago I'd run into videos on Youtube of Japanese wrestling promotion called "Hustle". It had...erm....unique characters like Hard Gay and this dominatrix lady. I've heard that the promotion was apparently very lovely and wasn't/isn't well liked (for reasons that go further than aspects of it that haven't aged well culturally)?

Hustle was run by the seem people who owned the MMA company Pride. It was weird. The first show was headlined by Naoya Ogawa vs Bill Goldberg & also had Hashimoto vs Vader, plus Dos Caras, Mil Mascaras & Sicodelico Jr. vs Dusty Rhodes, Steve Corino & Tom Howard & Kawada vs Mark Coleman. Or how about Naoya Ogawa, Razor Ramon Hard Gay & Shinjiro Otani vs. Toshiaki Kawada, Yinling The Erotic Terrorist & Yoji Anjo from HUSTLEMANIA?

It was mostly based around Generalissimo Takada's Monster Army (that's former huge star of shoot style wrestling Nobuhiko Takada) against Hustle Union Army. KUSHIDA had his first matches in Japan with Hustle.

I don't want to say that HUSTLE was just DDT with a budget because that undersells how great DDT was & is, but HUSTLE definitely had that "sports entertainment turned up to 11" vibe, but with a lot of household names like Tenryu, Choshu, Kawada, Ogawa, Ohtani, Great Muta, Akebono, Aja Kong. Also the guy who played Hiroki Awano in Yakuza 0 ended up leading the major heel faction near the end of the promotion.

Also have to add that Razor Ramon Hard Gay was a comedian before he got involved with HUSTLE & afterwards. His friend from college was also involved, Razor Ramon Real Gay.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 20, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
All I know about HUSTLE is that The Great Muta impregnated Yinling by misting her crotch and that resulted in her laying an egg that eventually hatched Akebono.

e: And HulkaMatt's General Takada avatar.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 20, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Apollo Crews has a deeply problematic spear.

:golfclap:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

frankenfreak posted:

All I know about HUSTLE is that The Great Muta impregnated Yinling by misting her crotch and that resulted in her laying an egg that eventually hatched Akebono.

If nothing else, we got Generalissimo Takada looking cool as hell & KUSHIDA from HUSTLE so it can't be all bad.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

frankenfreak posted:

Didn't that story end with Akebono accidentally squashing Yinling, after which the action stopped and she gave a deathbed speech via spotlight?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I guess HUSTLE was "good". Hmm. Interesting that it was done by the PRIDE people.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember like almost fifteen years ago I'd run into videos on Youtube of Japanese wrestling promotion called "Hustle". It had...erm....unique characters like Hard Gay and this dominatrix lady. I've heard that the promotion was apparently very lovely and wasn't/isn't well liked (for reasons that go further than aspects of it that haven't aged well culturally)?
Hustle was, basically, weird Sports Entertainment for non-fans produced by the owners of Pride FC. There's some good stuff at times, like Kawada vs Mick Foley, but it's just generally...strange.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, HUSTLE's vibe from what little I've seen of it is more "it was wild" than "it was good."

MassRafTer posted:

Hustle is one of those things that is much more fun to read about or see clips of than to actually watch a show.

That makes a shitload of sense.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 20, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hustle is one of those things that is much more fun to read about or see clips of than to actually watch a show.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
HUSTLE gave us Kawada's singing skills so it can't be that bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sdHJbK43N4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njNUQkjDEag

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hreh

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turns out he taught Taichi EVERYTHING.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
Whatever happened to Lufisto?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

afatwhiteloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/LuFisto/status/1373005972780748800

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

afatwhiteloaf posted:

She retired. She's had both a heart attack and a stroke. Also fought cancer.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has there ever been a better entrance and theme than Christian’s upon becoming a singles wrestler?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

grand sword, kaze ni nare, jungle emperor, wild thing, the brood

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Police Man has a better theme and entrance.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Police Man has a better theme and entrance.

You mean when you’re being arrested for public urination?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES AMERICAN MALES

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the best theme outside of the incredibly famous ones like kaze ni nare or grand sword or using well known pre-existing music whether authorized or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVyC5QPA1Y

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaciIF-ufxg

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
:rip:

~ THE END ~

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has there ever been a better entrance and theme than Christian’s upon becoming a singles wrestler?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE0UB1eEGB4

the operatic theme that bleeds into the rock, and then goes back into the opera, while the masks are on the titantron and the gold curtain of sparks falls down? yeah it was for sure at the time one of the loving best. Christian getting that god-tier entrance alongside actually beating Edge at their first major confrontation was a huge push.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, that’s right.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH6sRlBYXkk

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What the gently caress

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

unironically owns

yoshi was over as gently caress here because of his entrance

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Thauros posted:

the best theme outside of the incredibly famous ones like kaze ni nare or grand sword or using well known pre-existing music whether authorized or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntVyC5QPA1Y

Truly the Triangle Lancer of Entrance Themes.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

D.N. Nation posted:

Triple H at Mania. The ones in bold are the ones I think are bullshit.

23: injured

Touching on this one - HBK was the main event challenger that year and he used the DX theme and gear through the build to and at Wrestlemania (going back to his solo act the night after), just so you would have no chance of forgetting it was supposed to originally be HHH in there. It was really offputting.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Didn't know that! Just to reiterate- the main event was originally going to be face/DX Triple H versus Cena, facing each other for the title in back-to-back Manias?

Because that's dumb, therefore totally believable

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yoshi Tatsu's theme was a song called "J-Pop Drop", which was either public domain or WWE bought the rights to it, and I can't imagine they did the latter just for Yoshi Tatsu. It's been used in a few other places, notably a Portlandia sketch and an old Nintendo DS game.

forkboy84 posted:

Also have to add that Razor Ramon Hard Gay was a comedian before he got involved with HUSTLE & afterwards. His friend from college was also involved, Razor Ramon Real Gay.
Hard Gay rules and it sucks that his foot injury basically sidelined his entire comedy career. He's kind of back now but really sporadically.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What is the perfect wrestling match?

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

I'm watching Cena vs Umaga Last Man Standing and my god does it own.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

It doesn't necessarily be the best match ever, but what are some matches that are perfectly booked, taking into account the wrestlers ability, the time, the location, the booking etc?

I'd honestly consider Cody vs. Brodie Lee up there.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Bret Hart vs Stone Cold at WM 13

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Pylons posted:

I'd honestly consider Cody vs. Brodie Lee up there.

Which one? That first one was just so good, I really prefer it to the dog collar match.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Which one? That first one was just so good, I really prefer it to the dog collar match.

The first one, yeah.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'd call cody vs dustin a bit better of a match in terms of it being exactly what it needed to be and doing all of it well, but cody vs brodie 1 was also very good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Jumbo vs Misawa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also believe me when i say this is an entirely serious response: the invisible man vs invisible stan match is genuinely fascinating to watch and shows exactly how much a good crowd and a good ref can add to a match

and the finish still owns