Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't remember which video I watched that explained it, but basically the military has a lot of pull when you start using their equipment.
I get that, which makes the villainy of the military industrial complex so weird! Even before the hydra reveal, everything but agents of shield portrays military or para military organizations as inferior to super humans, self-serving, and corrupt. The US Army is good, but exclusively funnels money to evil corporations. The FBI is evil except for Jimmy Woo. The majority of sword is evil, except for the few people who help Monica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think Bucky is gonna end up buying the boat and fixing it up to be like a house boat

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

I get that, which makes the villainy of the military industrial complex so weird! Even before the hydra reveal, everything but agents of shield portrays military or para military organizations as inferior to super humans, self-serving, and corrupt. The US Army is good, but exclusively funnels money to evil corporations. The FBI is evil except for Jimmy Woo. The majority of sword is evil, except for the few people who help Monica.

The only people in the Air Force we see who didn't treat Captain Marvel like poo poo was another female pilot and an undercover alien.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Bucky is gonna end up buying the boat and fixing it up to be like a house boat

I honestly think the boat's gonna sink to show Sam needs to let go of the past.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Bust Rodd posted:

The worst part of this post is me being able to imagine marvel doing this cowards way out of the boat plot, hoping I'm wrong ugh

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Thundercracker posted:

Oooh I like your idea too!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

stev posted:

It's interesting that Wandavision was going to come after Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Eternals and FatWS before covid hosed the world. I wonder what (if anything) was different in the original draft. Knowing the MCU there must have been some reveals and callbacks that had to be reworked.

I think WandaVision got an extra episode and some rewrites because of COVID-related delays, I'm pretty sure I read an interview to that effect.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Oooh I like your idea too!

Narratively it just makes sense. It's a point of toxic contention between the siblings. Selling it or keeping has obvious flashpoints of conflict. Best case scenario is Zemo setting it on fire and Sarah gets an insurance payout that saves her business.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I wasn’t a big fan of this first episode, mainly because it felt like an hour without an inciting event. I’m still hopeful for the rest of the series.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

I wasn’t a big fan of this first episode, mainly because it felt like an hour without an inciting event. I’m still hopeful for the rest of the series.

I think it had more action in it's first 5 minutes than the entirety of WandaVision?

Not knocking WV though, because I loved WV.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thundercracker posted:

New captain america gonna sink it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ghostwritingduck posted:

Bucky didn't have an inciting incident but Sam had like three. I guess the plot will pick up when the two actually come together (I assume in the second episode).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bucky is going to join Sam on the boat and they're gonna go shrimping for the next twenty episodes.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Thundercracker posted:

I still think the boat will be how they covertly get into Madripoor. But, yeah, that’s Chekhov’s shrimp boat, right there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I'm James Barnes, my friends call me Bucky.

I'm Sam Wilson, my friends call me Sam Wilson.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do think it was an odd choice to have a six episode show supposedly with a buddy cop dynamic and spend a whole 50 minute long episode without even bringing them together. So hopefully they meet up fairly early in the second episode because the first one felt kind of aimless to me as an introduction.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Doctor Nutt posted:

I do think it was an odd choice to have a six episode show supposedly with a buddy cop dynamic and spend a whole 50 minute long episode without even bringing them together. So hopefully they meet up fairly early in the second episode because the first one felt kind of aimless to me as an introduction.

I liked it. The dynamic of them alone dealing with their own poo poo couldn't happen if they were immediately together. Once together we're gonna get a lot of manly macho dick waving for awhile so I'm glad we actually got to see them as people first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Again, in literally the very first scene of the show after the opening action sequence a person on the street recognizes Sam as an avenger, despite Sam just wearing a black leather jacket. The show goes out of its way to demonstrate, both immediately and multiple times, that Sam is recognizably famous to people on the street across the entire planet... and there are still goons insisting that he’s not Captain America or Iron Man so he’s a nobody. It’s like you didn’t even watch the show, or you’re calling the show a liar.

The show also goes out of its way to say that the Tunisian guy lost his wife in the Snap. It is entirely reasonable to assume that the Tunisian guy is interested in the people he considers to be heroes because they gave him back his wife, while the Louisiana banker might only know as much about the Avengers as he would pick up from half-watching the news and would in particular gloss over the black man.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I would assume that they’re going to meet up fairly quickly in episode 2. I very much expect it to open with Bucky watching the new Captain America reveal and having a bad moment, followed by him and Sam both heading to investigate the new guy and meeting up because of that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would assume that they’re going to meet up fairly quickly in episode 2. I very much expect it to open with Bucky watching the new Captain America reveal and having a bad moment, followed by him and Sam both heading to investigate the new guy and meeting up because of that.

I know it won't be anything like the same, but I can't help imagine a comedy of errors thing now where both are infiltrating a site investigating US Agent in their own way and constantly nearly coming in to contact with each other, but always missing each other in small ways, like that scene where Donna and the Doctor come back in to contact while he's infiltrating an office that she's working at, the two nearly seeing each other several times but always jussssst missing out on it until a big comic moment after several minutes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Doctor Nutt posted:

Kind of depends on if they're all 45-50 minutes long. If it's 6 episodes of the same length, that's about as long as 3 movies. They can afford to spend that kind of time on the first act.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They'll get together in act 2 of the final episode.

Just rewatched endgame, forgot that hulk brought everyone back, Tony just blew up Thanos. Still laughing at the idea of el capitan sneaking into Asgard and reinjecting the evil infinity stone sludge back into Jane

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Kind of depends on if they're all 45-50 minutes long. If it's 6 episodes of the same length, that's about as long as 3 movies. They can afford to spend that kind of time on the first act.

I mean, not really. Spending ages on an opening act is a classic genre show problem.

That said, I didn't have any problems with the structure of this episode. It's fairly good.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Sam refusing to compromise the legacy of his family boat is a direct parallel to him refusing to compromise the legacy of Captain America. He needs to realise that Sarah/Cap is right, and accept that things can be different in the future and that doesn't mean entirely letting go of memories of the past.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

fractalairduct posted:

Sam refusing to compromise the legacy of his family boat is a direct parallel to him refusing to compromise the legacy of Captain America. He needs to realise that Sarah/Cap is right, and accept that things can be different in the future and that doesn't mean entirely letting go of memories of the past.

Well, sure, but I'm okay that he doesn't do that in the first episode of the show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Golden Bee posted:

Have they ever done a comic book series where Stark is a struggling guy in Queens? I don’t know how it would even work because being a CEO is so central to his story, what is there a what if like “what if Tony Stark was working class?”
If I recall correctly there was this cancel Marvel Comic with the whole idea about a scrap iron man to take down Stark Industries; I think it was being a written by a semi-famous leftist genre writer.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Azhais posted:

They'll get together in act 2 of the final episode.

Just rewatched endgame, forgot that hulk brought everyone back, Tony just blew up Thanos. Still laughing at the idea of el capitan sneaking into Asgard and reinjecting the evil infinity stone sludge back into Jane

Then sitting around for 80 years while his wife goes off to work for nazis every day.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 22, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

If I recall correctly there was this cancel Marvel Comic with the whole idea about a scrap iron man to take down Stark Industries; I think it was being a written by a semi-famous leftist genre writer.

China Mieville, yeah.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In a way, blue collar Stark using scrap tech is kinda the way The Vulture is portrayed in Homecoming. He's got a nice house and seems pretty well off, but he had several years after the Battle of NY to amass that wealth.

It's too bad they couldn't put Vincent D'Onofrio in those movies at the time due to contract issues, because Kingpin dealing in scrapped Chitauri tech would've been a great little subplot.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Since what exactly the public knows about what happened in Endgame seems to come up a lot during the part where Sam and Rhodey are talking to each other in the museum there's a piece of the exhibit titled "A Final Mission" that seems to say exactly that. It's just a little too small and blurry for me to completely make out on my TV though. Maybe if someone could get a 4k screenshot then zoom in on it or something it would be readable.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never knew where this thread would go after WandaVision clickbait-hype chat, but I can’t say “demanding Falcon’s 1099 and annual earnings report” is something I ever expected to come up

i know i'm late but I just watched the pilot came to check out what kind of interesting discourse we might have here and this is a really good post. I feel so loving naive.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'd imagine they'll meet up because Sam thinks Bucky might be the new guy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Andrew Verse posted:

Why would he think that?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

XboxPants posted:

i know i'm late but I just watched the pilot came to check out what kind of interesting discourse we might have here and this is a really good post. I feel so loving naive.

I liked the part were the bird guy blew up the bad helicopter men.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Andrew Verse posted:

Rhodes is going to bring them together.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
But in a surprise twist, it'll be the Colossus

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

pik_d posted:

Why would he think that?

Because they have a bit of an adversarial relationship, Steve's not around to make sure Bucky stays on the straight and narrow, and Bucky is ghosting him.

Seems like an easy leap to thinking it could be Bucky and checking in on him.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Doctor Nutt posted:

I liked it and I also felt it was necessary to establish who these guys are as individuals and what they're personally struggling with before bringing them together. They've been minor characters so far, orbiting around a giant character like Steve Rogers and never quite escaping his shadow, so some setup and actual time spent on them worked really well for me. I do hope they reunite very quickly next Friday, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The guy looks like someone stole Cap’s helmet from the Smithsonian and stuck it on Dopey. Sam would have to be legally blind to mistake him for Bucky, a man with normal ears and a face that doesn’t resemble the old guy from Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The guy looks like someone stole Cap’s helmet from the Smithsonian and stuck it on Dopey. Sam would have to be legally blind to mistake him for Bucky, a man with normal ears and a face that doesn’t resemble the old guy from Up.

Even without seeing the new Captain Sam could probably figure out that the guy on parole currently undergoing mandatory psychiatric visits to monitor his 12 step Manchurian candidate apology program probably isn't the one the government would choose to be the new face of America