Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did you check the connection on the wheel side? I had that happen with my CSW because the ports point down and the usb connector on that side would just slowly slide ever so slightly out of the port, probably a combination of the cable pulling it down and some shaking when driving. After a few crashes I fixed the cable in place with some tape and it hasn't happen since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

also double check your power cable. Mine sits on my wheelstand and sometimes when moving it to the computer I end up making it loose, then after a little bit of time it goes whoopsie and disconnects. is it only DR that kills it?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try making sure all cables are extra secure when I try again tomorrow. I kinda doubt it's related to that though, considering other sims - which generate plenty of force feedback as well - don't seem to cause this problem. As far as I can tell it's only DR that messes it up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also are you launching the game through Steam itself? I have weird control issues in AMS2 when I launch it through Oculus instead of directly through Steam.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

njsykora posted:

Also are you launching the game through Steam itself? I have weird control issues in AMS2 when I launch it through Oculus instead of directly through Steam.

I have an Index, sometimes I launch it through Steam, sometimes through SteamVR. That didn't make a difference though.

GhostDog posted:

Did you check the connection on the wheel side? I had that happen with my CSW because the ports point down and the usb connector on that side would just slowly slide ever so slightly out of the port, probably a combination of the cable pulling it down and some shaking when driving. After a few crashes I fixed the cable in place with some tape and it hasn't happen since.

Actually, I think that might've been it! :dance: I was just able to complete like... five? event locations in a row. I'm still not quite sure what exactly caused it, but I suspect it was the pedal serial connector somehow. Or maybe a kinked cable? I was doing some "dry" testing outside of DR and managed to get the same broken pointer / reading random memory behavior to manifest in my test app when wiggling some connectors and messing with the cables. However, it wasn't really consistently reproducible. In any case, I've now ensured the connectors are secure, loosened one somewhat tight loop in the pedal cable and also added one of those ferrite core clip-on things to it for good measure.

It's really strange that this didn't happen in other sims, considering my not so gentle kerb usage and occasionally frantic steering inputs, but I guess DR just caused just enough more jostling after all.

Anyway, thank you all for the suggestions! I probably wouldn't have double checked such a seemingly "simple" cause otherwise. 👍

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RIP Sabine Schmitz

Gotta take a few laps of the ring in memory

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

RIP Sabine Schmitz

In an M3.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

jabro posted:

In an M3 Ford Transit.

FTFY

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

RIP Sabine Schmitz

Oh man mega bummer :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gently caress, this is harder than I expected it to be.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

gently caress, this is harder than I expected it to be.

What are you doing stepposter

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

What are you doing stepposter

"Assetto Corsa has the best selection of custom tracks and cars out there but the physics engine is ancient and shakes like my old dog. I know, I'll make my own open source racing sim with modern physics and support AC files so it comes out of the box with tons of content! :downs:"

Right now, it's basically just an AC track viewer. But I have dreams! Delerious, unattainable dreams.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KillHour posted:

"Assetto Corsa has the best selection of custom tracks and cars out there but the physics engine is ancient and shakes like my old dog. I know, I'll make my own open source racing sim with modern physics and support AC files so it comes out of the box with tons of content! :downs:"

Right now, it's basically just an AC track viewer. But I have dreams! Delerious, unattainable dreams.

I'm surprised the first thing to start with isn't a physics model which looks nothing like a racing game until years later?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised the first thing to start with isn't a physics model which looks nothing like a racing game until years later?

If I spent a year making a cool physics system and it ended up totally incompatible with how AC stores track and car data, I'd be hosed. First step was to reverse engineer the files. Turns out, the AC file formats are a nightmare of edge cases and bad design. :suicide:

The good news is the physics system can be iterative - it's going to basically be Mario Kart on real tracks to start with.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KillHour posted:

If I spent a year making a cool physics system and it ended up totally incompatible with how AC stores track and car data, I'd be hosed. First step was to reverse engineer the files. Turns out, the AC file formats are a nightmare of edge cases and bad design. :suicide:

The good news is the physics system can be iterative - it's going to basically be Mario Kart on real tracks to start with.

Here: https://youtu.be/ZoFSVi8yFns

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I unironicallly love mario Kart physics and will play the poo poo out of that.

Something about easy to learn but hard to master plus great track design makes it super fun. As long as you play without items it's fantastic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Something about easy to learn but hard to master plus great track design makes it super fun. As long as you play without items it's fantastic.

What

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You heard me.

I think of it as two games: one that's a fighting game on wheels, and one that's a zany arcade racing game.

I really only enjoy the second one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I’m gonna Blue shell this post

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

As long as you play without items it's fantastic.

As someone who preferred Goldeneye multiplayer on -10 health with grenade launchers and proxy mines only, I can appreciate this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Mario Kart, Final Destination

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m gonna Blue shell this post

Gotta be leading the race to get blue shelled :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mario Kart is fun, but the items are complete bullshit and make it more of a game of chance than a game of skill. Fun to mess around with buddies with, really annoying to play the single player.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So you're saying I need to add pickups to Laguna Seca. Got it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cojawfee posted:

Mario Kart is fun, but the items are complete bullshit and make it more of a game of chance than a game of skill. Fun to mess around with buddies with, really annoying to play the single player.

Playing Mario Kart with buddies of varying skill levels is Mario Kart as far as I'm concerned, and taking items out of that means the people who don't normally play video games don't have any fun.

Single Player Mario Kart is an odd notion to me outside of a few games here or there for fun. I can't imagine taking it seriously.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

shortspecialbus posted:

Playing Mario Kart with buddies of varying skill levels is Mario Kart as far as I'm concerned, and taking items out of that means the people who don't normally play video games don't have any fun.

Single Player Mario Kart is an odd notion to me outside of a few games here or there for fun. I can't imagine taking it seriously.

Try the time trial mode sometime. It's basically hotlapping and it's refreshing to not get randomly popped while you're on a fast lap.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hotlapping mario kart is great. I like to load up a ghost and see if I can get anywhere near a top time

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
N64 Mario Raceway is an unironically good circuit

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Try the time trial mode sometime. It's basically hotlapping and it's refreshing to not get randomly popped while you're on a fast lap.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Hotlapping mario kart is great. I like to load up a ghost and see if I can get anywhere near a top time

I get that it's popular with a lot of people but I cannot see the appeal in it whatsoever, especially since you're stuck with a specific character/car/wheel/etc combo in the newer game if you want to even have a prayer.

Nothing against those who like it, it qualifies as some sort of sim racing I suppose!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I just like being in the environments in MK 8, it's just a nice place to be Wild Woods that goes through the huge trees, I want to live there basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D1-0d3gt1A

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

I just like being in the environments in MK 8, it's just a nice place to be Wild Woods that goes through the huge trees, I want to live there basically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D1-0d3gt1A

I was just thinking as I was practicing in iRacing that I wish someone would make a racing game with real life physics +/- real life cars but have it set in a high-fidelity fantasy setting.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Now I want rock and roll racing with real GT3 cars

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I've seen a lot of fantasy/cartoon maps for BeamNG, but given that they're mods the fidelity really isn't there.

I picked up a LG CX OLED a couple months back and finally got around to setting up on something that won't wobble with a wheel attached, and I must say it makes a god-tier sim display. I highly recommend it if you got the cheddar.

The desk is even solid enough that I think it could handle a direct drive wheel, so I know what I'm getting myself for my birthday. On that note, will the Logitech pedals work with most other wheels? I intend to upgrade one part at a time if I can, maybe even mod the Logitech pedals because I really have no complaints with them other than the brake.

edit: well i guess there's Mario Kart maps ported to AC, because of course there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diMsfZKcDM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxHMoLk0My4

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 24, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^you're about to be leaped upon for suggesting going to a DD wheelbase with Logitech pedals because that's the opposite order.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

VectorSigma posted:

The desk is even solid enough that I think it could handle a direct drive wheel

Uhm, I wouldn't be too sure of that.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

VectorSigma posted:

The desk is even solid enough that I think it could handle a direct drive wheel

noooope :ohdear:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

It's got a metal frame and metal legs and is actually quite heavy. The only thing I would be worried about is the top, but that's easy enough to reinforce with a steel plate. I'd likely add more weight to add stability. Looks easy enough to fill the hollow parts with sand or something.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

you would have to drill bolt holes in the desk- no dd wheels come with a clamp, they're not strong enough. And you'll need to be able to adjust tilt/angle easily somehow because if you don't have an optimal driving position (https://virtualracingschool.com/academy/iracing-career-guide/season-one/ergonomics/) then using a DD wheel is going to be an uncomfortable nightmare. I really would not recommend going for a DD wheel without some sort of rigid, adjustable frame to attach it to. The good news is they're so expensive that if you're willing to sink that much money into sim racing you're probably willing to buy a rig too! :suicide:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, I wouldn't trust any cantilevered arrangement as a DD mount unless it was specifically designed for such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Used to be we would just let goons injure themselves for our own amusement with the only warning being an ominous "post pics."

Post pics.