Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Really wish Bloodborne got a ps5 remake but I guess there’s something about the code that makes it impossible. Yeah, DS3 was loving gorgeous on the ps5. A bit dated, sure, no crazy reflection physics or anything. But great nonetheless. Really, the mind does the rest. I’m really considering another run through demon souls remake because the controller haptic functions and the use of the speaker is soo rad (and one thing I would sorely love in DS3). The sound effects of firing spells and it bouncing off enemy armor, that crunchy reflection of striking your sword against a huge enemy, all of it. It’s just so loving immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

that duck posted:

The ashes belong to the handmaid's husband, Sirris' grandfather.

Hodrick is Sirris' father. He is probably (but not certainly) the handmaid's son.

Hodrick is explicitly her grandfather.

There's no explicit text in the game as to who the ashes belong to other than someone related to both of them. However it does make more sense to me that it's Sirris's unnamed father as Hodrick doesn't have any relation to Farron, the watchdogs, or the undead legion.

that duck
Mar 23, 2013

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

This doesn't track with Sirris' message on the Green Blossom, though, where she explicitly says she's going to visit "Grandfather" in the Pit

Whoops, I got it backwards. Yeah Hodrick is her grandfather and the Dream chaser is her dad.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
yessssssssss i freaking did it!!!!!

I took down sister freide solo, got good enough to bypass first two phases without a single sippy. Blackflame edition only took me 5 estus and 2 of those were dumb obvious mistakes so I'm feeling pretty drat good about that. She didn't touch me once during the last half of that fight! The trick was to play it super safe, keep my distance and sneak in to punish her hard w my dark reinforced club after the big show off moves

gently caress alright now to solo/master ringed city poo poo

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Uh, Storm Ruler (Yhorm sword) does not charge. I followed instructions and it doesn't charge. It does a spinny attack with L2. What gives?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
You have to hold it for a surprisingly long time to reach the FULL charge, it has two levels. Yeah it's dumb and unintuitive.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Mescal posted:

Uh, Storm Ruler (Yhorm sword) does not charge. I followed instructions and it doesn't charge. It does a spinny attack with L2. What gives?

hold down L2 until the wind appears around it, then press R2 to shoot the projectile

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

No, I mean it does not charge. I two-hand it and hold L2 and it does a spin slash. L1 holds it in a guarding pose. Neither puts me in stance.

Also, I tried my damnedest and Greirat still got dead, I think. I can't tell you how many times I read instructions on avoiding that but I still hosed it up. Anywhere else I can get bolts and arrows?

Soul farming gets a hell of a lot easier once you have the church of yorshka bonfire, wow. Yhorm the giant bonfire too. I've really rocketed up in levels last couple nights.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 19, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Go get Greirat's ashes and give them to the handmaid. If he died in Irithyll, the ashes are in the cave that leads to Siegward's soup kitchen. If he died in Lothric, his ashes are on the roof, after the gang of corvians and a gargoyle.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That's weird. Do you have enough SP?

You can get Greirat's Ashes if he died, give them to the Handmaiden and she'll get his current inventory. If you went to Dungeon and further to Yhorm without having Greirat be rescued by Siegward or Patches, then yeah he's dead. His ashes will be in the room with all the screaming scorpion ladies leading up to where Siegward sits with his soup in Irithyll, next to the split in the path leading down to the Dungeon.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Mescal posted:

If it spins you are using the Storm Curved Sword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7fo_ScTLWM&t=81s
You want the Storm Ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_19JPX7p14o&t=126s

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

giZm posted:

If it spins you are using the Storm Curved Sword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7fo_ScTLWM&t=81s
You want the Storm Ruler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_19JPX7p14o&t=126s

On the one hand it seems profoundly unlikely that Mescal has suddenly plowed ahead far enough to beat the nameless king, chosen to transpose his soul into that sword, and still gotten the two confused.

But on the other hand the storm ruler doesn't spin slash so I dunno wtf.

Unless another player dropped it I guess.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mescal posted:

Is pyromancy sorcery?

there used to be fire sorcery - the witch of izalith's whole deal - but after the bed of chaos fiasco, knowledge of it was lost :eng101:

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

On the one hand it seems profoundly unlikely that Mescal has suddenly plowed ahead far enough to beat the nameless king, chosen to transpose his soul into that sword, and still gotten the two confused.
Just checked his posts in this thread, and yes, that does seem extremely unlikely now. I'm stumped, we need videos or screenshots.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Does it only charge in the boss arena or does it work everywhere else? Cuz I remember the storm ruler in demon sold was gimped after the boss fight

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

DS3 version works everywhere, the Weapon Art consumes FP but doesn't seem to actually require it. You can use the WA even after you've run out of FP.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Edit: didn't read stuff well.

I beat the game with my stronk build. Happy enough to finally use Lodo's giant rear end hammer with Havel's armor. That hammer poise breaks everything. I only solo'd like 2 bosses because why not? And even then they melted to the sheer power of BIG STICK. My only issue is with no int, faith, and attun I had zero spells my whole run and so everything felt one-note, see an enemy, smash it. PvP was just baiting peeps into thinking they have an opening (walking away from them) and then doing a 180 smash when they charge in for the kill.

Getting annoyed by all the fight clubs. If I get blue cop summoned for an invader and the host isn't helping, I'm just gonna black crystal out. Don't have patience for your nonsense, use a red soapstone next time. :byewhore:

Also gonna say this game is much better on the ps5, if even just for the load times.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 21, 2021

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Followed a guide to get the dragon slayer axe from creighton for a str/fth dude and it stinks compared to a heavy glaive. I’ve played myself, split damage sucks nuts!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Split damage is both good and bad. Once you find something weak to lightning you'll see the difference.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally got my first attempt underway for real. Meet Jacob Punchsmith, he's gonna punch Lothric into dust

(using an axe for now until I can find a fist weapon)

Managed to beat both Gundyr and Vordt on my first try :unsmigghh:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
DS3 faces dont hold a candle forge hosed up ds2 faces you can get. ds3's random face generator is also a big let down.

I'm doing a pyro man myself and I can tell you there is a Caestus in the next area.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Pick up the dark hand as well if you can.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I looked up fist weapons on wikidot (my only foray into the wikis until I beat the game, usually I don't look at all but I was getting frustrated at not finding any caestus on corpses or to purchase) and was confused for a bit that there was only one apiece, but then I remembered there's no powerstancing in 3 :(

On the other hand, this lets me try a different fist weapon in each hand, so that oughta be fun. Dark Fist sounds really cool, I'm def gonna try and see if I can find the caestus and dark fist by the end of tonight's run.

that demon fist looks awesome as hell :unsmigghh:

edit: a couple other first impressions:

* Firelink Shrine is extremely drab and nowhere near as beautiful as Majula, or even the first Firelink. Firelink in 1 had the sort of muted beauty you find in an overgrown grotto, Majula was an absolutely beautiful cliffside village and a place I would legit live. Firelink in 3 seems more like a mausoleum, and has its own kind of dark gothic beauty in the way that you would expect Edward Scissorhands to trim a hedge about, but after the first two it's kinda blah. I miss Majula, which always felt peaceful at least.

* Andre is back!! :buddy: Can't believe that old sumbitch is still kickin around, not even a little bit hollow. Must've just been hammering away through the ages.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 22, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

* Andre is back!! :buddy: Can't believe that old sumbitch is still kickin around, not even a little bit hollow. Must've just been hammering away through the ages.

This always seemed a bit of a plot hole to me - if linking the flame causes the curse to disappear (for I dunno a few thousand years before the flame starts to fade again) then how is he still alive at all?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Aidan_702 posted:

This always seemed a bit of a plot hole to me - if linking the flame causes the curse to disappear (for I dunno a few thousand years before the flame starts to fade again) then how is he still alive at all?

The flow of time is convoluted

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I looked up fist weapons on wikidot (my only foray into the wikis until I beat the game, usually I don't look at all but I was getting frustrated at not finding any caestus on corpses or to purchase) and was confused for a bit that there was only one apiece, but then I remembered there's no powerstancing in 3 :(

On the other hand, this lets me try a different fist weapon in each hand, so that oughta be fun. Dark Fist sounds really cool, I'm def gonna try and see if I can find the caestus and dark fist by the end of tonight's run.
Fist weapons in DS3 (and a few others) auto-powerstance, so by "two-handing" them you pull out a second Caestus and have the L1/L2 moveset you're used to from DS2.

You definitely need a guide (or advice) for Dark Hand, that's not something you can just intuit imo. It involves killing yourself (or dying...) something like 10 times.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Ceastus can be found very early in the game. Just explore, you'll find it soon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How much of this poo poo exists and will never be discovered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8u4nJe9LAw

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Aidan_702 posted:

Clean living.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Aidan_702 posted:

I wouldn't think too hard about it. Dark Souls 3's world is a hodge-podge of things from the Souls series that intentionally don't logically belong together in time or space. This becomes explicit in the second DLC where you're literally walking around on piles of discarded Dark Souls levels in a gigantic dumpster and you fight the first boss underground in the ruins of the original Firelink Shrine.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

I just kinda figured anyone can be immortal in the Souls universe, just they all lose their minds and hollow eventually, and stay dead after that. Andre is somehow special and able to avoid hollowing through the purpose of his craft and an iron will. Presumably people never stopped needing him.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
You only go hollow if you keep dying and you only die if you go off trying to fulfil prophecies and linking fires.

"Hang about the Firelink Shrine making small talk with adventurers", while a good survival strategy, would make a tedious game.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oh yeah the hollowing thing is a bit inconsistent too.

There are times where hollow = died so many times they just lost their mind and look like beef jerky but some other times is = died like, once ever but just lost hope or commitment.

I always got the impression the main character never truly hollows because one, it's a game but 2, because you're fed so many lies about being 'chosen' that the lies make the prophecy self-fulfilling. You're the 'chosen' undead so that idea causes you to never lose faith or focus, so therefore you don't hollow. If you weren't given the cell key in the first game then you'd lost your mind like everyone else.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Elissimpark posted:

"Hang about the Firelink Shrine making small talk with adventurers", while a good survival strategy, would make a tedious game.

That's the crestfallen knights. They implicitly show how the tedium of survival isn't enough to stave off hollowing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, it's probably incredibly boring, and being bored is probably a good way to hollow out. The number of non-hollow people we see in the game(s) is maybe not more then like, 30? So you probably don't get to chat with anyone all that often.

Also, given the player character is possibly mute, or at least, not much of a conversationalist, and only stops by briefly, and if player playstyle is to be considered, you have chosen undead who probably just sprint by without even stopping to chat. Or kill you for fun.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

In DS3 you only go hollow if you take Yoel up on his offer. Ashes are some kind of weird amalgam of failed linkers.

Andre has to be some kind of eternal being if he has survived all the cycles. The handmaid isn’t really human either.

Wh o out of all people you meet are 100% human? Sieglinde? Probably. The amnesiacs of Majula? No, they are all afflicted by the curse. The petrified merchants? Possible.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

The guards above the spiral staircase/the big cathedreal boss are pretty challenging. I've got a suspicion that everybody plays until the pontiff and does pvp in that area forever? Am I supposed to duel there until I'm level a million? Nobody puts white summon signs by the bonfire in the sky there

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pontiff is a very popular PvP destination because Sulyvahn's backyard is about as "Fox only, Final Destination" as it gets wrt to PvP. If you want to park your character there and kill players go for it I guess? Otherwise keep progressing.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

-I just was summoned into a world to defend the area (I joined the cathedral bois) and there were two player avatars, like dummies, just standing there not interacting with anything and couldn't hit them. The two giants were taking damage and bleeding, but no one was actually hitting them. They got hit a lot and never died. What gives? After a while I figured out that a crowd of people were dueling one-by-one in the amphitheater area, I watched until they pointed at me and it was my turn. Pretty drat cool. I like gladiator games more than a brawl. Anyway, what was with the glitchy stuff?

-I brought my souls to level up after this and it said I need around 63000 souls to level up. Right before this--I'd just checked and I'm sure of this--it said that 45000 souls were req'd to level up. What gives?

and please don't make fun of me for being high level at this point. i'm just not very good at this

aw jeez there's another boss after that boss and you don't get use a bonfire first

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You can! You just have to walk out before you talk to the old lady