Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Demiurge4 posted:

The game gives you a cover identity so you can pass through Terran space but the voice actors all act like they're getting weird readings and you are actually invisible.

Egosoft writing is traditionally pretty spotty but this is really just a case of you not paying attention; the guy who gives you the cover straight up explains that it doesn't work on larger Terran ships because they have better sensors, which is why you have to get around their radar nets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeurosisHead posted:

I recently stumbled across Starsector, which is cool and good, but it reminded me about X4 which appears to have gotten extremely good. Very disappointed by the 30xx series bug, none of the little anecdotal workarounds people have posted have done me any good :(. Thanks for posting your screenshots and stuff, it's nice to enjoy the game vicariously through you all.

Starsector is great because it is entirely fleet battles with economic stuff as a side thing instead of the other way around

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 21, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kind of liked the torus thing but I don't think it was paced so well. And the puzzle at the end is crap. But that's kind of an egosoft thing, remember when Reunion had a rail shooter segment on a planet?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

OwlFancier posted:

I kind of liked the torus thing but I don't think it was paced so well. And the puzzle at the end is crap. But that's kind of an egosoft thing, remember when Reunion had a rail shooter segment on a planet?

I didn't see the puzzle at the end as a puzzle honestly, I solved it with one try.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

There was a mission in X3:TC that made you solve a sudoku to progress, I think that was peak Egosoft game mechanics nonsense.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

3 posted:

Egosoft writing is traditionally pretty spotty but this is really just a case of you not paying attention; the guy who gives you the cover straight up explains that it doesn't work on larger Terran ships because they have better sensors, which is why you have to get around their radar nets.

I think what he meant is that the commentary from those larger ships implies you're sneaking by invisibly when you're just supposed to be using a cover identity. What he actually missed is that it's not about the ships detecting you're there, it's about them detecting the "illegal tech" on your ship, which you can infer is Xenon-derived because one of the Terran ships asks their command if a Xenon incursion has been reported after looking at their sensor readings. It's also obvious if you've already done the Yaki plot first (or even just taken time to look at the ship closely), though the ship also having an AI puts a little extra sauce on it.

I'm less familiar with the writing of earlier X games because I never got far into the plots, but at least in X4 I think it deserves some credit. There's some decently clever stuff going on within the confines of the game's very rudimentary storytelling tools.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

timn posted:

I think what he meant is that the commentary from those larger ships implies you're sneaking by invisibly when you're just supposed to be using a cover identity. What he actually missed is that it's not about the ships detecting you're there, it's about them detecting the "illegal tech" on your ship, which you can infer is Xenon-derived because one of the Terran ships asks their command if a Xenon incursion has been reported after looking at their sensor readings. It's also obvious if you've already done the Yaki plot first (or even just taken time to look at the ship closely), though the ship also having an AI puts a little extra sauce on it.

I'm less familiar with the writing of earlier X games because I never got far into the plots, but at least in X4 I think it deserves some credit. There's some decently clever stuff going on within the confines of the game's very rudimentary storytelling tools.

It’s also pretty heavily implied by just the general aesthetics of the ship in question. I’m also actually pretty impressed by the general quality of the writing this time round, especially in the later parts of the cadet plotline. I was genuinely not expecting some of the turns there, or the presence of a branching plotline.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Demiurge4 posted:

The game gives you a cover identity so you can pass through Terran space but the voice actors all act like they're getting weird readings and you are actually invisible.

Your IFF is spoofed but you're sitting in a ship filled to the brim with Xenon tech. It has an AI talking to you. You don't do AI in Terran space.

You aren't invisible, they are seeing a Terran IFF while their Xenon klaxon is going off.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is quicksave taking 20~30 seconds normal? Just stayed this game and noticing all the load times are longer than what I've been accustomed to with a ssd these days.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You can try turning save compression off, but each save will use half a gig of your SSD

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Saving and loading is notoriously long in this game, however a couple of tricks can reduce the saving portion from 20-30 seconds to more like 10.

- Exclude the saved game folder from Window's search indexing

- Do the same for Windows Security's real-time background anti-virus scanning (and any other anti-virus or anti-malware you might have)

I only recently found out about these things and it actually works and makes that huge of a difference. Allegedly the issue is that saved games are stored in raw human-readable XML, so stuff like indexing and virus scanning can just go to town analyzing the enormous contents as they're being written.

Also as a general PSA for overall performance, make sure you've enabled XMP for your RAM. X4's performance is crazily bottle-necked by memory speed. I forgot to re-enable XMP after upgrading by BIOS recently and that quite literally cut my FPS to 2/3 of what it was before.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow ore mining sucks compared to gas. It takes ages for half the pay!

I've got two minorina miners right now (one helium one silicon, formerly ore after it only pulled in 50k for a haul) and three small ships, including a new Callisto. I wish the encyclopedia had more info about stuff, everything in it is just a pile of numbers.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah ore is around 50k a trip, silicon being 120 or so

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So is project Genisis or Terran cadet a more fun start? Or is it more of just a lore thing.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Terran cadet has a far more involved introductory plot mission chain and ends up directing you right into the project genesis plot anyway. A really cool detail is you actually see the player character for the project genesis start as a brief cameo during that mission.

Actually in general the Terran cadet start is really good for plot missions because it provides a great extended tutorial and actively points you towards the rest of the game's plot chains afterwards. The downside is it starts you at -15 rep with almost all other factions, but as has been mentioned that's pretty easy to work your way out of now that unfriendly factions offer you missions.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

So I'm sitting in front of a lockbox that respawns every time I teleport to HQ to stash the goods, and on the third try out pops a god drat FLUX CAPACITOR

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So the SCA attack override worked. But while I had SETA on while doing some laundry I heard the battle music start playing. Ran upstairs to a sea of red on the radar. Apparently the Teladi are super pissed now.

Sooooo I guess I need to claim Grand Exchange and set up a police force. How do I do that without pissing off the Teladi?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
What's the best general purpose corvette for just tooling around running combat missions, etc, and how would you fit it out? I know next to nothing of the different weapons and what their intended uses are.

I have a Cobra that's not optimally fitted, a Gorgon Sentinel, and a Cerberus Sentinel. For a while I liked the idea of a corvette with an S landing pad so I could keep a small fast fighter on board, but I find myself never really needing to use it because the corvettes themselves are plenty fast when in travel mode so I'm now rethinking which corvettes are ideal for me.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So I think I'm finally getting the hang of this game and remembering how x3 used to be, I still have a bit to go.

is there a tab or menu that shows factionwide information such as war/loss or item demands? I remember using some mods in x3 that made trading and finding gap to take advantage of, but am at a loss here? Also, do people have advice on control setup with kbm? I still am not used to the shift+spacebar to switch between free mouse and mouse control.

Edit: getting info probably involves sattelites right? I probably need a scout shoot to auto deploy them around right?

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 22, 2021

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Basically you either have trade data for a station or not. If you do, it'll show up in filters. Being in sensor range of any of your ships gives you trade data for.... A few hours, I think? Satellites can therefore keep trade data updated for every station in range. You can also order a ship to update trade data in an area, which will make it tour the stations.

You can also get permanent trade updates for an entire faction if you have enough rep and pay their faction rep a fairly steep fee.

There are also ways to gain permanent trade updates for specific stations, such as from scanning EMP data leaks.

bgreman posted:

What's the best general purpose corvette for just tooling around running combat missions, etc, and how would you fit it out? I know next to nothing of the different weapons and what their intended uses are.

I have a Cobra that's not optimally fitted, a Gorgon Sentinel, and a Cerberus Sentinel. For a while I liked the idea of a corvette with an S landing pad so I could keep a small fast fighter on board, but I find myself never really needing to use it because the corvettes themselves are plenty fast when in travel mode so I'm now rethinking which corvettes are ideal for me.

It really depends on whether you want to board things or not.

For example, the new Katana is a solid choice, being fast and with 4 forward weapons. It also has better shielding than similar gunboats like the Dragon. However, it only has 6 crew max, which only leaves room for 2-5 marines depending on your setup.

OTOH, the Minotaur Raider is a generally inferior combat ship. But it can carry a lot of crew and a decent amount of cargo, and is pretty cheaply available as a SCA capture. So I've got a few modded out and spend as much time in them as any other ship.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 22, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wonder if I can get save and load times down by turning off compression but instead using lz4 compression at the file system layer. X4 uses gzip, which compresses reasonably well but takes a while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Travic posted:

So the SCA attack override worked. But while I had SETA on while doing some laundry I heard the battle music start playing. Ran upstairs to a sea of red on the radar. Apparently the Teladi are super pissed now.

Sooooo I guess I need to claim Grand Exchange and set up a police force. How do I do that without pissing off the Teladi?

That's... weird because the sector security doesn't normally give a poo poo about SCA distress calls. Unless you hit something else by accident?

I don't think you can claim other faction sectors without basically destroying their defence platforms and putting your own down, but you can claim neutral ones with just an admin module, so nopileus fortune next door is viable.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Paranid Nemesis is still the best all-rounder in my opinion. It's very powerful and pretty fast.

Weapons:
4x Bolt Repeater - These are fun to shoot and just shreds most things it encounters.
1x Ion Blaster (Argon) - These melt down shields in no time and perfectly complements the bolt repeaters.
Flak turrets (Argon and I think Split) - Great for small pesky enemies that are hard to hit.

You will need to pay a little attention to overheating with these weapons but they will absolutely destroy anything but really big ships. They will also destroy modules on large ships in no time at all.

The rest is up to personal preference and play style (actually, so are weapons but the above will accommodate most people).

I use Terran shields. Teladi shields are also good. Look at the stats (including recharge rates) of the different shields and pick which one suits you best.

I use Paranid travel engines, though I'm thinking of switching it up to combat engines (not sure which race's yet).

Make sure you always have a cheap marine on your ship too so you can claim abandoned ships that aren't scannable. Same goes for your exploration ships.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

a7m2 posted:

The Paranid Nemesis is still the best all-rounder in my opinion. It's very powerful and pretty fast.

Isn't the Katana like straight up better besides having fewer guns though kind of a wash considering you can slap terran guns on it.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm quite a ways off from setting up my own full fleets (without cheating) but I'm curious about how Auxilliary ships are meant to work. What role are they meant to fill that Carriers don't already do?

Is it that Carriers are meant to be more survivable in combat so you can put them in fleets, while Auxilliary ships are meant to be parked away from combat?

Also in a vaguely related question, is there an option that I'm missing that will let my AI ships automatically go repair themselves? I was messing around with a Chiba and a flight of Takobas last night, but the fighters would never repair themselves at the carrier unless I specifically told them to do so. Is that something else I'd need a mod for?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Auxiliary ships can refit all craft, carriers are more combat oriented but are geared around fighters specifically as they usually have a large quantity of S docks and some I think have dedicated launch tubes for rapid deployment.

I haven't tried fighter fleets myself so I can't advise on management of them.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Resupply ships can also have traders assigned directly to them for materials and carriers can not (which makes a huge difference).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An auxiliary ship is actually a decent thing to buy because they're fairly cheap and at the very least can repair your other ships, which can be quite expensive, especially for capitals you've captured.

I think they can also print stuff like advanced satellites from components which would be very handy if you're making the parts. I think they basically work like a mobile equipment dock.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Well, that certainly sounds like a WAY cheaper way to maintain your own ships instead of having to buy 3 multi-million cred blueprints and then build an entire station just to get your own repair facilities. The part about being able to assign traders to them and that they can repair L/XL ships should really be made more obvious.

I guess I'm saving up for a Honshu then :v:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

with hull parts being needed all over the galaxy, im gonna try making like 3 hull part stations in nopelios fortune, so i can poo poo out like 40k hull parts/h, and then use those factories to seed warehouses, and spread those around. maybe use those same warehouses to do my other wares like smart chips and stuff. See how it goes, centralize my production in nop fortune rather than factories all over.

who knows how it will turn out with the AI but should be fun!

also: man my miners keep heading over to pious mists IV. so I checked the info for that zone and holy poo poo,

so much freggin ore there.

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 22, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
My stupid station in Argon space insist on making drones out of Terran components , of course their orders are never fulfilled.
There are no Terran modules on the station.
Anybody encountered this ?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=431124

The thread's kind of just a whine about it but in basics I agree; the turrets look really out of place on ships and in the Katana's case it's much chunkier than before. I like most of the style of X3 more than X4 tbh, though there are some real cool ships flying around here too

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Could you target and shoot off individual components on ships in X3? I kinda like the chunky very visible stuff on ships now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

Could you target and shoot off individual components on ships in X3? I kinda like the chunky very visible stuff on ships now.

I don't know about on purpose but ships would have components break as hull fails. I do like that aspect in X4, it just makes ships look bad and parts out of place.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Krogort posted:

My stupid station in Argon space insist on making drones out of Terran components , of course their orders are never fulfilled.
There are no Terran modules on the station.
Anybody encountered this ?

I haven't built a station there yet but in the station settings there's a "Build Method" that can be normal or Terran, maybe try changing that? Alternatively set your drones to zero.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Asteroid belt is meh for me for gas; highest hydrogen density is 0.15 I found. Neptune, Titan and Oort cloud are the main gas sites in Terran space right? I will probe them today if so.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I picked this up recently on sale, and would appreicate some basic starter advice on how to get started in-game, and any essential mods, and so forth.

Also I didn't get any DLC and it's not on sale anymore, are any of them essential?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

OwlFancier posted:

That's... weird because the sector security doesn't normally give a poo poo about SCA distress calls. Unless you hit something else by accident?

I don't think you can claim other faction sectors without basically destroying their defence platforms and putting your own down, but you can claim neutral ones with just an admin module, so nopileus fortune next door is viable.

Yeah I'm not quite sure what happened. If I see something like "TEL <ship> Plunderer" that's just SCA in disguise right? Maybe a ship shot one of those and pissed off the near by station.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Zereth posted:

I picked this up recently on sale, and would appreicate some basic starter advice on how to get started in-game, and any essential mods, and so forth.

Also I didn't get any DLC and it's not on sale anymore, are any of them essential?

both dlc add new factions, expand the galaxy, and storylines that can have major effects on the factions. Id say the split dlc is more needed than the terran one that just came out. Split dlc adds some amazing ships, and also nearly doubles the galaxy size. terran DLC just adds the terrans and their ships, but only ~12 new areas that are pretty disconnected from the rest.

terran one does have new game starts that are way more of a tutorial than either of the normal/split starts.

queeb fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Asteroid belt is meh for me for gas; highest hydrogen density is 0.15 I found. Neptune, Titan and Oort cloud are the main gas sites in Terran space right? I will probe them today if so.

I've not had a single gas or mineral miner ever go near the Oort Cloud for some reason. Also they're completely avoiding The Void even though my probes show it to be the best mining system for miles around. Asteroid Belt, Getsu Funu, Titan, Mercury, The Reach are the main places my miners go for my Sol station.