Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WesY2K
Mar 26, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Depends why

If you like boxes then yes

If it's for resale then assume 99% of people who want it already have it digitally and resale wont be high

It is a Yay! Not only does the Hades physical release have an extra code for the soundtrack bu something like a PRINTED MANUAL (or mini artbook). And THAT is the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I am not horny for monster hunter

pretty prudish but okay

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Xenoblade 2 was pretty fun to play but it bothered me a fair amount that they basically make no effort to justify the nature of the world structure, both geographically and in terms of the entities that exist like the blades and titans and whatever else. I feel like it stands out compared to a lot of fantastical game worlds that don't feel like they need to justify themselves mainly because that was kind of a pretty major point and cool climax/twist of 1; They explicitly explain why stuff is the way it is going into the home stretch in a way that you don't see coming but it works surprisingly well. 2 just consistently feels like it fell face forward over that line of silliness that 1 successfully managed to toe. You spend the whole game asking "why is any of this."

They... they literally explain all of it at the end, when you meet The Architect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They... they literally explain all of it at the end, when you meet The Architect.

Especially considering It's all-but-stated where you are once you get to the top of the tree if you've beaten XC1 first. And hinted pretty hard as early as when you fall to the base of the tree.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

vis a vis

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bleck posted:

the problem isn't that it's horny, it's that it's horny in a strange and embarrassing way

The first time I saw Pyra my thought was "god her outfit's just stupid even as fanservice" and when I saw Mythra my first thought was that if her short cocktail dress had been longerher design would've been significantly better, even if she ended up looking like someone turned a Gundam into a dress. Pyra's design is bad, just start over.

Kernel Sanders doesn't have time for Neo's poo poo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVzd0Yi1s0&t=707s

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I also hated how a seriously great character was designed to be a literal object and a gigantic pair of tits.

Pyra deserves better.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

The worst thing about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is Mythra.

Let’s not say things we can’t take back

Evil Fluffy posted:

The first time I saw Pyra my thought was "god her outfit's just stupid even as fanservice" and when I saw Mythra my first thought was that if her short cocktail dress had been longerher design would've been significantly better, even if she ended up looking like someone turned a Gundam into a dress. Pyra's design is bad, just start over.

Kernel Sanders doesn't have time for Neo's poo poo.

They gave Mythra leggings in XC2 and Smash and it improved her design tenfold

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 22, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Everything in XBC2 is nanomachines

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

On a different subject, are there any decent joy con alternatives with extra back buttons? Handheld only is fine as that's the only way I play. I really need to be able to remap L3 and R3 in BotW since I keep accidentally clicking them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Split Pad Pro.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Walla posted:

On a different subject, are there any decent joy con alternatives with extra back buttons? Handheld only is fine as that's the only way I play. I really need to be able to remap L3 and R3 in BotW since I keep accidentally clicking them.

I do this too and it is annoying as hell.

"Oh crap I need to run away!"

*crouches down and pulls out Sheikah Slate*

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ugh I hadn’t made that connection in my mind and now I wish you hadn’t for me. But you’re right, I’m sure that was an influence.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

thank you for knowing exactly what my brain was referring to

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I do this too and it is annoying as hell.

"Oh crap I need to run away!"

*crouches down and pulls out Sheikah Slate*

And it only happens when I'm fighting a Linel or doing a Test of Strength.

Policenaut posted:

Split Pad Pro.

Think my local Target has this in stock. Thanks!.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bleck posted:

thank you for knowing exactly what my brain was referring to

Flash may be dead, but Newgrounds will live forever in our hearts.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mister Facetious posted:

Flash may be dead, but Newgrounds will live forever in our hearts.

I'm pretty sure newgrounds is still around, they are just a hive of smut now instead of poorly made games. (Kongregate took that crown, but Kong has stopped accepting new uploads since flash is dead and Unity webGL is kinda lovely).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pixaal posted:

I'm pretty sure newgrounds is still around, they are just a hive of smut now instead of poorly made games. (Kongregate took that crown, but Kong has stopped accepting new uploads since flash is dead and Unity webGL is kinda lovely).

Doesn't game maker export to HTML5?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pixaal posted:

I'm pretty sure newgrounds is still around, they are just a hive of smut now

Lmao if you think newgrounds wasn't a hive of smut 15+ years ago too.

TheKingofSprings posted:

They gave Mythra leggings in XC2 and Smash and it improved her design tenfold

I still think a long battle dress would be cool (and this is Xenoblade so mecha-looking poo poo is to be expected) but I hope they go back and update her XC2 model too because yeah the leggings definitely improve her design a lot.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope they go back and update her XC2 model too because yeah the leggings definitely improve her design a lot.

They already did, the leggings are a costume in the free dlc

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
Bought Gnosia due to folks in this thread hyping it up.

For the first half hour I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or what was happening and I was like "hmm, this game doesn't seem great maybe I wasted my money." By about loop 6 or 7 I started to sort of figure out what was going on and immediately after I was hooked.

I'm on loop 20 or so and really enjoying myself but really bad at the game.

The way the characters have distinct personalities and the ways those personalities manifest in their dialogue and how they "play the game" is really cool, and absolutely got me hooked.

Even though I think I now have the hang of the game and am beginning to grasp strategies of how to try to win, I seem to generally always guess who the Gnosia are incorrectly, and I'm not exactly sure how to get better at knowing that my gut instincts ("X is definitely Gnosia") are actually correct.

Still, very cool game with very different gameplay. Reminds me a bit of Return to Obra Dinn + Outer Wilds, but designed for replay (which is great). Good buy can't wait to play again A++

minya fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 22, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

I'm hearing good things about Bugs Fable

Ah the off-brand Paper Mario RPG. Somehow forgot about it, good recommend.

minya posted:

Even though I think I now have the hang of the game and am beginning to grasp strategies of how to try to win, I seem to generally always guess who the Gnosia are incorrectly, and I'm not exactly sure how to get better at knowing that my gut instincts ("X is definitely Gnosia") are actually correct.

Finding out who is Gnosia is often not so much about knowing the character who is Gnosia as much as the characters who are not. If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry. It will eventually.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 22, 2021

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride

MiddleOne posted:

Finding out who is Gnosia is often not so much about knowing the character who is Gnosia as much as the characters who are not. If that doesn't make any sense to you, don't worry. It will eventually.
That's a good point, I often find myself starting to think that way but then get caught up trying to pinpoint who the Gnosia are rather than doubling down on figuring out / allying with who the Gnosia isn't. Yeah, I think the more I play the more that will click into place.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I spent an embarrassing amount of early loops defending Gnosia engineers to the very end.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

minya posted:

My starting experience was very much like yours but by the end I was reliably winning 80+% of loops, only really losing when getting offed by the Gnosia. The game really opens up once you get higher stats and more commands since you can get a lot more information instead of stumbling in the dark.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Full disclosure I'm working off memory of having played 2 at launch so I may be misremembering or forgetting a lot of key things. What I mean though is while they do a similar sequence of events to 1 where you meet the more benevolent half of Klaus and that in turn gives you a similar origin point and sense of parallelism with the two settings, I'm hung up on the details. All of the stuff you learn in 1 explains why the world is set up the way it is, why the Bionis and Mechonis exist in this endless ocean and what that represents, why organic life and machine life are inherent enemies, etc. It's a weird setting that feels arbitrary at first and then you wind up getting a pretty good explanation for it all. Conversely 2 feels like it was concerned with being similar to that structure of 1 but then doesn't try to explain the why. The explanation you get from Klaus is just a wordier hand wavy version of what you already know about that cycle of blades and crystals and titans. The whole world structure doesn't feel like it has any symbolism or logic to it. You still walk away asking what the hell a blade even is in terms of stuff like personhood and sentience, why is there a cloud sea and titans, stuff like that.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Full disclosure I'm working off memory of having played 2 at launch so I may be misremembering or forgetting a lot of key things. What I mean though is while they do a similar sequence of events to 1 where you meet the more benevolent half of Klaus and that in turn gives you a similar origin point and sense of parallelism with the two settings, I'm hung up on the details. All of the stuff you learn in 1 explains why the world is set up the way it is, why the Bionis and Mechonis exist in this endless ocean and what that represents, why organic life and machine life are inherent enemies, etc. It's a weird setting that feels arbitrary at first and then you wind up getting a pretty good explanation for it all. Conversely 2 feels like it was concerned with being similar to that structure of 1 but then doesn't try to explain the why. The explanation you get from Klaus is just a wordier hand wavy version of what you already know about that cycle of blades and crystals and titans. The whole world structure doesn't feel like it has any symbolism or logic to it. You still walk away asking what the hell a blade even is in terms of stuff like personhood and sentience, why is there a cloud sea and titans, stuff like that.

The cloud sea is nanomachines and everyone is made of nanomachine DNA

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

In the future, Earth will have catgirls

That's all you need to take away from XB2

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Bros. on my Switch, but playing with the joycons is kind of uncomfortable for some reason. The pro controller's d-pad sure isn't up to the task though. Are there any third-party controllers for the Switch that might give me a better time playing NES games?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've been playing a lot of Super Mario Bros. on my Switch, but playing with the joycons is kind of uncomfortable for some reason. The pro controller's d-pad sure isn't up to the task though. Are there any third-party controllers for the Switch that might give me a better time playing NES games?

Get on the 8bitdo train

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Get on the 8bitdo train

Rapid Fire can come in handy sometimes, make sure you get a model that supports rapid fire (If I remember you need to connect it to a computer and change the Switch configuration from RapidFire = Screenshot to Rapid Fire = Rapid Fire). Bonus, they work with phones / tablets too! Also PC, but that should be a given.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I 100% will not play a 2d sidescroller on anything but an 8bitdo SF/SN 30.

I tried to play Mario 35 with a joycon exactly time and gently caress that d pad.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Read the in-game “how to play” for gnosia, all of it. It’s incredibly helpful at explaining the various mechanics.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I genuinely think the Nintendo Online SNES controller has an excellent d-pad but I did grow up with the thing. Works for all games that don't require joysticks too!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Are there any third-party controllers for the Switch that might give me a better time playing NES games?
The 8BitDo SN30 Pro+. Go with the Sn Edition if you like concave buttons, or G Classic Edition for maximal Game Boy nostalgia.

Do beware that there's a SN30 Pro 2 coming out in a month. But, you know, there's way worse things in the world than "accidentally" purchasing two 8BitDo controllers.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The 8BitDo SN30 Pro+. Go with the Sn Edition if you like concave buttons, or G Classic Edition for maximal Game Boy nostalgia.

Do beware that there's a SN30 Pro 2 coming out in a month. But, you know, there's way worse things in the world than "accidentally" purchasing two 8BitDo controllers.

There’s also the standard Pro if you’re looking for a more nostalgic (or portable) SNES shape

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I like the n30 pro for 2d games and as an extra smash bros controller. It's cheap, thin and light. No rumble or gyro though

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Awesome, thank you for the recommendations, folks. I went ahead and ordered an 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+. Feeling happy and excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The SF30 works as a complete controller replacement. You can even play BOTW with it and it has a tilt sensor and everything.

Just get an SF30.