Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fur20 posted:

basically, if a barbarian clan "can" spawn units, it will accumulate points toward evolving into a city state every turn. i don't think the cs threshold or accumulation rate changes over game speeds so if you play on faster speeds it may seem like it takes forever while on epic or marathon they'll start maturing by the classical or medieval eras. but they seem to generate more points per turn the closer they are to becoming a city state. you can speed this up further by bribing them, but the boost is quite small relative to the total needed to flip to a cs.

raiding reduces their current points. but, typically make slightly more points per turn than you can remove by raiding between cooldowns.

for civs that have a UA that activates when you clear an encampment, it doesn't recognize destroying an encampment as destroying one. which is to say these UAs are worthless in this mode. fix your game firaxis!!!

My last game was on epic speed and in the atomic era there was still one last barbarian camp and it never became a CS

And I can confirm that, at least here (linux version), there is something very wrong with the AI in the current version. After launching the satellite, and went to examine the AI civs to understand why they didint had neither luxury resources or great works to trade:

1- all AI civs had most of the luxury resources on their land unimproved. In fact, most land unimproved, and also builders just standing around doing nothing

2- even weirder: Russia was hoarding great artists and writers, thats why nobody had any great work to trade. But he didint use them: his land was just packed with great artists and writers just standing there

Is like the AI forgot how to use builders, althought Im not sure if that explains 2)

edit: not using any mods. Emperor difficulty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I was running Anansi through Montezuma's territory, eating resources as you do, and not a one of them was improved despite builders just standing around.
The builders did make eating his luxuries a bit more of a hassle, for a sec it seemed like he was using them to protect against Anansi, since the game won't let him move into a tile with builders without declaring war.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Its probably so they dont make monopolies and accidentally win tourism games like the players can

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

They wanted to make Japan's UB "Nintendo Headquarters" but their legal department stopped them one week before release

i think this might actually be true lol

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think this might actually be true lol

I mean, that Electronics Factory does provide a culture bonus.

Also, I have been going through the list again and I completely forgot about other stellar UB/UI names such as "Mall", "Film Studio", "Golf Course" and "Hockey Rink".

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Say what you will about Malls and Film Studios, but Golf and Hockey are very much great UB/UI names.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elias_Maluco posted:

My last game was on epic speed and in the atomic era there was still one last barbarian camp and it never became a CS

also true, once in a while i'll notice an encampment that will never gain exp or anything. it won't spawn scouts or units, or even a defender. :xcom: but :firaxis: i guess. was it on a valid tile? the ones i notice doing that the most are in places that REALLY have no yields, like not even 1 food or 1 hammer. maybe they need yields to grow progress idk

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 20, 2021

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

Fur20 posted:

also true, once in a while i'll notice an encampment that will never gain exp or anything. it won't spawn scouts or units, or even a defender. :xcom: but :firaxis: i guess. was it on a valid tile? the ones i notice doing that the most are in places that REALLY have no yields, like not even 1 food or 1 hammer. maybe they need yields to grow progress idk

I've got a current game that had a couple like that. I had at least 7 barb camps turn into city states, and two that made no progress at all. I had cranked city states up to 22 and reduced the number of civs, so maybe there is an upper limit to how many city states there can be in a game. Also most of the camps tended to mature before the end of the second era on standard speed.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Touchdown Boy posted:

Its probably so they dont make monopolies and accidentally win tourism games like the players can

Yeah, thats too much, really

That game I was talking about, I wanst trying at all for a culture victory: 3 theater squares, no more than 6 great works, never hired a rock band, avoided the tourism wonders, a got a culture victory anyway. In fact I started sabotaging my tourism output when i saw the victory was coming but it wanst enough

I liked corporations but I think Ill leave it off until tourism output gets nerfed and the AI is fixed

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just found a barb clan with three different unique units, a Toa, an Immortal, and one other UU I can't recall.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Organic Lube User posted:

Just found a barb clan with three different unique units, a Toa, an Immortal, and one other UU I can't recall.

Get them immortals son

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I would love to see a game mode or mod that just randomly mixes and matches all the leader and civ unique abilities. Sure your randomized civ might come out hilariously useless half the time, but imagine the possibilities!

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Nzinga leads Byzantium!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bull Moose Teddy running the Maori

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Egypt's unique building: the Ice Hockey Rink.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Black Queen Medici leads Mongolia and curbstomps her neighbors!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

showbiz_liz posted:

I would love to see a game mode or mod that just randomly mixes and matches all the leader and civ unique abilities. Sure your randomized civ might come out hilariously useless half the time, but imagine the possibilities!

Even better: a civ creator where you could choose between any of the leaders/abilities/UU etcs

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

Bull Moose Teddy running the Maori

Aye carumba

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've finally bought a new laptop so should be able to actually play this game again! Now what's the best way of getting all the content I've missed in the last year...

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Marmaduke! posted:

I've finally bought a new laptop so should be able to actually play this game again! Now what's the best way of getting all the content I've missed in the last year...

You should be able to just get their New Frontier Pass and that'll get you all the new civs and leaders and modes. I don't know if you caught the Gathering Storm expansion before that. Picking up those two things should have you covered.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-platinum-edition on sale 75% for the next 80 minutes, so act fast.

e: https://www.macgamestore.com/product/11055/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-VI-Platinum-Edition/ is also 75% off and that sale ends in 4d, and despite the domain gives you a Steam key.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 22, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAJ3cvkG0oM

This is much better than the Civ V Portugal Theme IMHO. Especially the Atomic Era version.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Aerdan posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-platinum-edition on sale 75% for the next 80 minutes, so act fast.

e: https://www.macgamestore.com/product/11055/Sid-Meiers-Civilization-VI-Platinum-Edition/ is also 75% off and that sale ends in 4d, and despite the domain gives you a Steam key.

Thanks, I clicked the link with 12 seconds left :xd: Think I can get the new pass for less than £20 which is well worth it. Next question is which of the new modes should I try first? I'll probably skip apocalypse mode as I like to appreciate what I build...

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

Thanks, I clicked the link with 12 seconds left :xd: Think I can get the new pass for less than £20 which is well worth it. Next question is which of the new modes should I try first? I'll probably skip apocalypse mode as I like to appreciate what I build...

I love the tech and civic shuffler. It helps to reduce the feelings of redundancy between games--also feels a bit more simmy than using the standard trees (why would a civ know how to beeline for flight in 4,000 B.C.?) even if the new tech and civic prereqs don't make sense.

My prime gripe with it is the tendency for too many deadends or awful bottlenecks, but it's universal across all players so the AI or whoever has to deal with it, too.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Aerdan posted:

Sorry, will the second link work with Windows? It looks like it's a mac-only version despite the steam key or am I misunderstanding.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Starks posted:

Sorry, will the second link work with Windows? It looks like it's a mac-only version despite the steam key or am I misunderstanding.

A while ago Steam made all title purchases explicitly cross-platform, even retroactively. If you have a copy of some old game on Steam from ages ago, and a new platform was recently added, congrats on your second copy of the binaries.

So yes, if it's a Steam key, you can play it on your supported OS of choice.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Serephina posted:

A while ago Steam made all title purchases explicitly cross-platform, even retroactively. If you have a copy of some old game on Steam from ages ago, and a new platform was recently added, congrats on your second copy of the binaries.

So yes, if it's a Steam key, you can play it on your supported OS of choice.

Interesting. Thanks! I thought that's what OP was saying but it being listed as a different developer threw me off.

Starks fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 22, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Glad to be back playing the game, very much liking most of the extra modes, though I don't quite "get" corporations yet but I'm sure I'll get there. I'm most of the way through a game as Kubla Khan so far, it's been fun trying out the new stuff. Probably the most eye-opening change is with the city states, and how the bonuses are for the higher tiers of building (and the diplomatic quarter buildings). Plus a helluva lot of barbs must have evolved to their own city states in my game, there must be about 20 City states in the modern age (standard map size) even after I captured a couple. And Monarchy actually being a decent government now, impressive. And the next update tomorrow too I think? How unfortunate that my wife is working three of the next four days while I'm not...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I think corporations are basically "here you go, win about an hour earlier than you would have otherwise." I have yet to see any interesting anything happen from them.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

For those wondering, there is indeed a mod that swaps around leader abilities. Note that I haen't played with it or checked it out yet, but I will!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1742519440

maybe ust ganna roll the dice til I get Mansa Musa leading Portugal

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homullus posted:

I think corporations are basically "here you go, win about an hour earlier than you would have otherwise." I have yet to see any interesting anything happen from them.

they give small bonuses like ivory and a couple other giving +something to building military units but yea they're 90% 'figure out how to monopolize as much as possible to win a culture victory faster than usual'

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Portugal Pack is out. As you'd expect, Sean Bean has no idea how to pronounce "Joćo" either.

EDIT:

Civiliopedia posted:

Joćo III, called “the Colonizer” or perhaps more kindly the “Pious,”

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 25, 2021

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Seeing zombie hordes on turn 4, what the gently caress?

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I think that Zombie mode looks terrible from what Ive seen on Youtube. Anyone got the pass and think otherwise? Portugal looks overpowered as well, but potentially a lot of fun.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
I played as portugal for a a while last night and it was a lot of fun. Zombie mode looks underwhelming, but I use nearly all the other new modes religiously.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am enjoying zombies far more than I thought I would. They keep everyone a little busier.

Also I have been playing this game since launch and only just now noticed that the AI scolds you for recruiting great people they were going after, even though neither you nor they choose the great person target, but scolds you for building more wonders generally, even though you choose specific wonders and can "race" the AI to completion.

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009
So after sinking plenty of hours idling playing the base game from when it was given away free on the Epic Game store I finally bought the Platinum edition.

Since it's currently on sale on Steam (and the 2k storefront) and I have brain worms I bought it there, I don't really like the Epic client and it's seeming inability to update without frequent needs to verify the game files so this simplifies things.

I'm looking forward to trying out the 2 expansions but feel like I might get overwhelmed with all the changes from the base game. Is it possible (or even recommended) to only enable Rise and Fall before getting used to it before enabling Gathering Storm? or should I just play with everything on just to avoid learning systems that will be superseded/replaced?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Grobbit posted:

So after sinking plenty of hours idling playing the base game from when it was given away free on the Epic Game store I finally bought the Platinum edition.

Since it's currently on sale on Steam (and the 2k storefront) and I have brain worms I bought it there, I don't really like the Epic client and it's seeming inability to update without frequent needs to verify the game files so this simplifies things.

I'm looking forward to trying out the 2 expansions but feel like I might get overwhelmed with all the changes from the base game. Is it possible (or even recommended) to only enable Rise and Fall before getting used to it before enabling Gathering Storm? or should I just play with everything on just to avoid learning systems that will be superseded/replaced?

Just play with both, imo. I jumped from base game to R&F + GS and had no problems adapting

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Portugal is really good, I got my second Emperor win with them just cranking out coastal cities and navigation schools, the combination of gold+science got me a science win while everyone else was still struggling about with cavalry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Jumped back into this last night for Portugal and it seems pretty fun so far. Zombie mode actually looks like a fun replacement for a raging barbarians mode. While I was kind of initially against the zombie thing, I kind of like it as a way to keep you needing to keep a more active and mobile army up and doing something opposed to most of the games where I generally don't have a large force just idling around.

homullus posted:

I am enjoying zombies far more than I thought I would. They keep everyone a little busier.

Also I have been playing this game since launch and only just now noticed that the AI scolds you for recruiting great people they were going after, even though neither you nor they choose the great person target, but scolds you for building more wonders generally, even though you choose specific wonders and can "race" the AI to completion.

You know you can buy great people or pass on them right?

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 26, 2021