Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Surfen Terf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

zakharov posted:

Except golf.

Golf can be great to watch on TV, you just gotta have the right setup.

It's has to be warm summer day, window open with gentle breezes coming in. You're laying back on the couch, in the distance you hear the pleasant hum of a plane flying by. Some chilled Arnie Palmies ready to go, you listen to the hushed commentary of the rapt commentators. Occasionally you drift in and out of a gentle cat-nap, awakening to see Rory McElroy sink a 30 foot putt at TPC Sawgrass, or Tiger crashing a Cessna into a 7-11. Then just enjoy some great golf shots, or guys completely flubbing a putt. If you wanna green out the experience, it can only add to the effect.

TV golf is about maximum chill.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
That is also how you enjoy Test cricket, the one that can last like 5 days (5 half-days, technically)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Took me till I was like 35 before I looked up why the hell people were so worked up about the "Test" version of cricket, like when do they care about the real version

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
It's the version that truly 'tests' your ability as a Cricket player, was the explanation I got.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I love that they calculated the lengths of UK’s terrestrial television channel advert breaks by how long it takes to make a cup of tea.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I didn't understand why people would go to watch test cricket, because five days of cricket sounds grueling. Until I spoke to several people that did and learned that they don't watch it either; even when they actually go to the games, they gave advice like 'bring some knitting to pass the time'.

So honestly I understand it even less.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Knitting?

Cricket is the one sport where it’s acceptable to bring a massive hamper full of beer and your own food, you can even bring BBQ equipment inside depending on the ground, and as it’s a summer sport it’s basically sitting lounging about in the sun while getting utterly wasted with your friends.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Golf can be great to watch on TV, you just gotta have the right setup.

It's has to be warm summer day, window open with gentle breezes coming in. You're laying back on the couch, in the distance you hear the pleasant hum of a plane flying by. Some chilled Arnie Palmies ready to go, you listen to the hushed commentary of the rapt commentators. Occasionally you drift in and out of a gentle cat-nap, awakening to see Rory McElroy sink a 30 foot putt at TPC Sawgrass, or Tiger crashing a Cessna into a 7-11. Then just enjoy some great golf shots, or guys completely flubbing a putt. If you wanna green out the experience, it can only add to the effect.

TV golf is about maximum chill.

Alternately: No one can agree on what to watch, so now everyone gets to watch motherfucking GOLF. Cheer for players missing shots, and someone will suddenly care enough to want them to sink their putts.
Now everyone is engaged and "happy."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's very relaxing and a great time killer.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

toanoradian posted:

That is also how you enjoy Test cricket, the one that can last like 5 days (5 half-days, technically)

The perfect way to enjoy the Test doesn't involve the television. Instead, it's Test Match Special on Radio 4. But apart from that, there's little difference.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You motherfuckers keep saying golf is lame like you never played an intense game of mario golf.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Cardiovorax posted:

It's very relaxing and a great time killer.

But also improved by a massive hamper of booze and cake to be fair.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

learnincurve posted:

True, but what isn't?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

learnincurve posted:

I love that they calculated the lengths of UK’s terrestrial television channel advert breaks by how long it takes to make a cup of tea.

I love that this results in the British electric grid almost blacking out during major events like the World Cup, requiring a massive import of power from continental Europe to power all the kettles.

E: and that they've had to build massive pumped hydro stations to deal with the tea kettle surge.

https://youtu.be/slDAvewWfrA

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Mar 22, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Elviscat posted:

I love that this results in the British electric grid almost blacking out during major events like the World Cup, requiring a massive import of power from continental Europe to power all the kettles.

E: and that they've had to build massive pumped hydro stations to deal with the tea kettle surge.

Don't US sewer systems have gigantic floods during the last commercial break of the Super Bowl when everyone goes and flushes the toilet after downing all the beer they'd bought? Or something similar

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Biplane posted:

I remember watching stuff like the simpsons, how i met your mother, all the american shows really, back in the day. Constant cuts to black every few minutes, breaking up the flow of the narrative, for no apparent reason.

Then I moved to Florida for a while and realised that every single one of those cuts to black were there so they could cram a commercial in there. A 20 minute simpsons episode turns into 40 minutes of actual hell. Here, I'm pretty sure there are laws against putting more than one commercial break in an episode.

Just got a new vizio and it comes with a bunch of channels as part of your purchase. But all of them cut to commercial at complete random. Like halfway through dialog. Then after playing the same tide commercial three times, the show pops back on right where it left off, so you get the last half of a sentence or whatever. I was watching an old MST3K which has clear commercial break spots, and watching it fade to black then reappear only to be cut off randomly 5 minutes later was surreal.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

hyperhazard posted:

Just got a new vizio and it comes with a bunch of channels as part of your purchase. But all of them cut to commercial at complete random. Like halfway through dialog. Then after playing the same tide commercial three times, the show pops back on right where it left off, so you get the last half of a sentence or whatever. I was watching an old MST3K which has clear commercial break spots, and watching it fade to black then reappear only to be cut off randomly 5 minutes later was surreal.

Spotify dies this with their podcasts. I've had ones where the host gets cut off in the middle of a word for an ad break. I wonder if it's in purpose to sell more subscriptions or they just don't care.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Spotify dies this with their podcasts. I've had ones where the host gets cut off in the middle of a word for an ad break. I wonder if it's in purpose to sell more subscriptions or they just don't care.

Blame that one on algorithms.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

So what I am getting here is that if American Football teams were better at defending the 18th wicket from double bogies,we might start seeing more competitive matches, aka 0-0 draws

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Soylent Pudding posted:

A psychologist helping patients deal with the trauma of getting horribly murdered in a past life feels like a cool sci fi premise.

Squidster posted:

This is loosely the plot of the comic Spirit Circle. Two souls gets caught up in eternal hatred, and ruin each other every time their incarnations meet.

The exact premise of Dream Theater concept album Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory is the combination of these two things. The protagonist is haunted by dreams of being a murder victim from the 1920s and his therapist helps him discover that he is an incarnation of a soul that used to possess that person while also solving the murder case, as it was erroneously documented as a suicide.

Except, plot twist: The therapist is an incarnation of the soul who possessed the murderer and he kills the patient in the end!

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Mar 22, 2021

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Data Graham posted:

I will say that the US half-hour 3-commercial-breaks format has driven creativity. It's not really that the commercial breaks just pop in at random times breaking up the flow of the narrative; rather, the shows have grown around the format and use them as scene breaks and punctuation.

Every medium has its own constraints that inform how the narrative works. Comic books have big two-page spreads that can be used for huge establishing shots, or page-turns can emphasize scene changes or dramatic turns. Movies do cool narrative things with titles and credits sequences (and pre- and post-). And so on.

Even now with the Netflix binge-a-season format, the shows themselves are doing creative things around the limitations and capabilities of the platform, like Bojack Horseman hiding easter eggs in the menus.

Not trying to defend the commercials or their frequency on American TV in general, it's execrable. But I've alway been interested in how the shows have often been able to make lemonade out of those lemons.

You've just reminded me of Carlos Sanchez Robostogie after god knows how many years.

The comics publisher his creators worked for decided to have an anti-smoking blitz, to the point where they whited out the stogie the main character in the strip Robohunter always had hanging from his lip.

So the writers/artist introduced a robotic nicotine-replacement stogie and made it a speaking character so it couldn't be whited out.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

grittyreboot posted:

Reincarnation chat: I believe most religions that believe in reincarnation hold that you can be reborn as at least hundreds of different animals, or literally any living thing on Earth, depending on the religion. So you're much more likely to spend most of you existence as an ant or krill or something. If anything, Marie Antionette's soul is probably residing in a nematode somewhere.

You say this like it's a bad thing, but honestly a tour of duty as a jellyfish sounds kind of peaceful.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just realised that the Americans won’t get the cake reference, old ladies send in home made cakes to the test match special team.

I particularly enjoyed the one where an old dear sent in a lion humping a dead kangaroo for the ashes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mak0rz posted:

The exact premise of Dream Theater concept album Metropolis part 2: Scenes from a Memory is the combination of these two things. The protagonist is haunted by dreams of being a murder victim from the 1920s and his therapist helps him discover that he is an incarnation of a soul that used to possess that person while also solving the murder case, as it was erroneously documented as a suicide.

Also sounds like the plot of the 1991 movie Dead Again, with Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Robin Williams, and Campbell Scott. I enjoyed it when it came out, haven’t watched it since.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gats Akimbo posted:

You've just reminded me of Carlos Sanchez Robostogie after god knows how many years.

The comics publisher his creators worked for decided to have an anti-smoking blitz, to the point where they whited out the stogie the main character in the strip Robohunter always had hanging from his lip.

So the writers/artist introduced a robotic nicotine-replacement stogie and made it a speaking character so it couldn't be whited out.

Also remember when the Comics Code prohibited the word "bathroom", so

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
YouTube ads are bad and poorly timed and

I DONT CARE about that meaningful chess game with father and daughter
and
I AM NOT GETTING GRAMMARLY

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

American football games are super long compared to the actual runtime intentionally. They're social events for fans. Football is by far the most successful sport in the US but teams only play sixteen games in a year, so every single one of those sixteen games is going to have some flair and fun. I think football that ran a 60 minute game across 75 minutes of television would be objectively worse, half the fun is chatting with your buddies and going to the bar to buy a new round during commercial breaks and stuff.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

American football games are super long compared to the actual runtime intentionally. They're social events for fans. Football is by far the most successful sport in the US but teams only play sixteen games in a year, so every single one of those sixteen games is going to have some flair and fun. I think football that ran a 60 minute game across 75 minutes of television would be objectively worse, half the fun is chatting with your buddies and going to the bar to buy a new round during commercial breaks and stuff.

Also considering the linemen get in the equivalent of a small car crash every game it's good to get some extra rest in. Even low level games that would never be televised are over two hours.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Rockman Reserve posted:

3 hours in general is what it seems most entertainment tries to hit. Concerts, movies, sports. Much shorter and the fans ask "Why am I paying 100 dollars for an hour long show?" and much longer and that's a whole different set of fans(like not just a race but an entire day at the track)

Kinda like how back in the day, every song espeically for radio play was aimed right at the 3 minute mark

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
The NFL does on field TV timeouts specifically for ad breaks. So you’ve got everyone on the field just standing around for 2 minutes just waiting. It’d be a lot more bearable if they just did away with anything but maybe halftime or each quarter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Televised wrestling also has ad breaks built in. The ref has an earpiece that tells them when a commercial is coming up; they relay that to the wrestlers, who usually go to a rest hold or play to the live crowd for a few minutes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

3 hours in general is what it seems most entertainment tries to hit. Concerts, movies, sports. Much shorter and the fans ask "Why am I paying 100 dollars for an hour long show?" and much longer and that's a whole different set of fans(like not just a race but an entire day at the track)

Kinda like how back in the day, every song espeically for radio play was aimed right at the 3 minute mark

The standard novel has massively increased in length for the same reasons. If you hit a bookstore, notice how wide the typical novel pre-1970 is, compared to the blockbusters of today. It's the SuperSize of books. Part of the reason people were massively pissed off at J.K. Rowling's latest mystery was that it was about three times the size of a normal mystery, a genre that has been immune to page inflation. (Also it was transphobic and the additional material was tedious because J.K. Rowling won't take edits.)

In my distant youth, the standard movie length was ~2 hours. I just looked up Bringing Up Baby, Gentleman's Agreement, Singing In The Rain, Dr. No, and Some Like It Hot; the only one that ran over 2 hours was SLIH, and that was 2:15.

Good ol' hateable Glenn Greenwald.

https://twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1373663172738084869

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Elviscat posted:

more tea factoids, their nuke defense radar is just good enough to have one last cup of tea.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Don't US sewer systems have gigantic floods during the last commercial break of the Super Bowl when everyone goes and flushes the toilet after downing all the beer they'd bought? Or something similar

That’s an urban legend - but I can verify that Super Bowl Sunday is a great day to go shopping, or to an amusement park, or anything that usually has big crowds.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
OTOH go back to the silent era and you get movies that are five hours long

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I, too, am very upset that as a lesbian living where I live with the family situation I have I am... less oppressed... than I could be...? Like, what's even their argument, that trans people have it rougher and it's bad because now people feel sorry for them when they get metaphorically kicked?

This is not to say that cis lesbians and gay men cannot be horrifically oppressed, it just feels like such a 'liberal white feminism' take to be upset that people don't feel sorry enough for the queers that have found some widespread societal traction.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

christmas boots posted:

OTOH go back to the silent era and you get movies that are five hours long

A nightmare to be sure. Glad movies aren't recut to last that long these days.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ah yes, those concrete benefits like serving in the military and playing a sport and going to the bathroom that have never been taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

When my grandmother used to knit it seemed to involve a lot of counting which seems like it would be a recipe for some extremely weird clothes if you did it drunk.